As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The JRPG Club: Play Games and Learn Japanese

astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the inaugural meeting of the JRPG Club! For the next forty or so hours, we'll be playing Ni no kuni, the newly released dream collaboration between Level-5 and Studio Ghibli. Care to join us?

What is the JRPG Club? Well, it's like a book club, and in fact almost was a book club. See, my buddy and I want to pass a very difficult Japanese proficiency exam. To that end, I proposed we start a study group, but he suggested a book club instead. That's when it hit me. "How about an RPG club," I said, and the rest is awesome, awesome history.

We will be playing JRPGs and discussing them along the way. We'll help each other through parts that are difficult to understand. And hopefully, we'll all have a really awesome time and learn something.

The first game we'll be playing is Ni no kuni. We chose it because Ghibli in game form is a Japan-loving gamer's dream come true. It is directed at audiences young and old, which means they've made it accessible to people that cannot read Chinese characters, kanji. Yes, that's right: furigana. If you've studied any Japanese or tried reading manga in Japanese, then you know what that is, and know why it's so great.

Any rules? What should I do now? Get your hands on the game, start playing and come by with anything you'd like to talk about (or need help with). However, please, please use spoiler tags very liberally. Just preface your spoilers with a simple description of where you are in the game so people know whether or not they're safe for them to open.

Where can I get Ni no kuni? It shouldn't be terribly hard to import, and if you live in Japan, then just hit your local game store! And hurry up, because you'll get the ridiculously sweet spell book it came with.

Why use the Penny Arcade forums? I don't think we're alone in wanting to play Ni no kuni as soon as possible, and the more minds we have working through it the better. So please feel free to join us! Plus, the ability to hide spoilers is a must considering that we'll all be going through the game at a different pace.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
astronautcowboy3 on

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Fully intend to buy this game when it comes out. I think I'll wait until then, though.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'm also taking the JLPT (N5) but I have no way of getting the game due to lack of money. I do have some Japanese games, but what gives me (and most people from my class) trouble is listening. I'm planning to play Four Swords +'s Navi Trackers since it features verbal commands.

I also have Mother 3 (but I beat the game back in 2008), Zelda 3 (already beat it, that One Piece for GBC (the last game to ever be compatible with the original GB, but it sucks), Rockman EXE Transmission (but it can't be read because I have an American Wii that lacks the a certain Japanese font it needs to display text).

I also have SoulSilver, which I'll be restarting soon.

RockinX on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Zidane is the pinnacle of JRPG protagonists. Everyone else is a bunch of pussies with self esteem issues.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Ni no kuni seems like a really weird choice since it's already confirmed for US release. Seems like a game with no or next to no chance of US release would be a better choice.

RainbowDespair on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I would love if something like this was done with some of the tales games. I mean there is a girl on youtube that has done subbed videos of a few of the major non releases here (I think only the rebirth one is completed) but there is a large number of them we will never see and many of them are more than worth playing.

I really wish I could play tod directors cut and understand it.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Zidane is the pinnacle of JRPG protagonists. Everyone else is a bunch of pussies with self esteem issues.

This guy knows what's up.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    You know, early on, I thought it would be really cool to learn Japanese to play RPGs. Not any more. Now, I know Chinese and I can play games in Chinese if I want to but it's not as fun as I thought it would be just because my reading speed in Chinese is so slow.

So to really enjoy a game in a foreign language, not only do you need to know the language but you also need to be highly proficient at it unless you don't mind things taking forever.

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote:
    I'm also taking the JLPT (N5) but I have no way of getting the game due to lack of money. I do have some Japanese games, but what gives me (and most people from my class) trouble is listening. I'm planning to play Four Swords +'s Navi Trackers since it features verbal commands.

I'm sorry to hear that you're interested in participating but are held back by funds. I looked up the game on play-asia and noticed that that it costs 113 bucks, so I can definitely understand. The four of us currently participating in this "RPG Club" are all based in Japan, so we were able to get the game for about 7000 yen on Amazon Japan (and we get paid in yen, so the currency conversion doesn't mean as much to us).

Hopefully, we won't always be chosing pricy new released, but will also go after some cheaper PSN/PSOne classic releases as well. PS3 will probably always be our system of choice, however. At least while it's still the only one we ALL own.
    Kai_San wrote:
    I would love if something like this was done with some of the tales games. I mean there is a girl on youtube that has done subbed videos of a few of the major non releases here (I think only the rebirth one is completed) but there is a large number of them we will never see and many of them are more than worth playing.

I really wish I could play tod directors cut and understand it.

It's entirely possible we'll do a Tales game at some point. Honestly, Tales of Xillia looked pretty cool and my senses were bombarded with commercials for it about a month before and after it's release, but we had already decided on starting with Ni no kuni. We used the time until the Ni no kuni launch to finish up what we were playing. Incidentally, one girl was playing Tales of Graces, so it's very likely she'd be up for another Tales game. I'll be playing Tales of Innocence R in January, but I might be alone on that one.
    Ni no kuni seems like a really weird choice since it's already confirmed for US release. Seems like a game with no or next to no chance of US release would be a better choice.

We all live in Japan so we have easy and access to it. Also, we are playing it to improve our Japanese abilities, so playing the English version wouldn't do us much good. That being said, if we do ever decide to pick up a game that has an English release, we'd be more than happy to have people joining us for discussion.

Also, as I said, this game is really accessible, which is another reason we chose it. Ni no kuni is fully subtitled, and even those subtitles are "subtitled" (with characters written above the hard-to-read Chinese characters that tell you how to read them).

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    They release jrpgs with furigana? wtfak?

obF2Wuw.png
    They release jrpgs with furigana? wtfak?

This is the first series that I've seen that is released that way. The DS game had furigana as well. Yes, even those little screens could handle them.

I think for other games, it's a matter of development time and onscreen real estate versus necessity. Most games are targetted at people old enough to have studied all the kanji in the game and adding readings would be a waste. But this is Ghibli, so they want kids to play it too.

• MaouMaou Registered User regular

Play the Ultimate PC JRPG for 2011.

rance_quest.jpg

18+ only.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    This is the first series that I've seen that is released that way. The DS game had furigana as well. Yes, even those little screens could handle them.

I think for other games, it's a matter of development time and onscreen real estate versus necessity. Most games are targetted at people old enough to have studied all the kanji in the game and adding readings would be a waste. But this is Ghibli, so they want kids to play it too.

kewl

you taking jlpt?

obF2Wuw.png
    Most of us are. One person is aiming for N2 in July (because she forgot to sign up for the December test) and another is on his third or fourth attempt at N1. Hopefully he'll pass it next time. I'm going to attempt N1 for the first time next summer as well. I just passed N2 last test period, and thought it was a little too early for an N1 attempt this time around. Probably wouldn't be anything besides a waste of money if I took it in December.

I learned the kanji for n3 while staying with my cousins in japan for a bit, but never really took it any further

forgotten most of the 512 already like a true baller

obF2Wuw.png
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    I'm not so hot on Ni no Kuni.
    How about Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke, either PS1 or PSP remake?

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I tried this with some SNES classics back in the late 90's. None of it stuck but I got to play some amazing games years before any of my friends did, so...

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • 256mb256mb Registered User new member
    I have to look up a lot of words and phrases so I'm progressing very slowly, but it was incredibly satisfying to come across and recognize the word
    somewhere other than my flashcards!

• hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    You know, early on, I thought it would be really cool to learn Japanese to play RPGs. Not any more. Now, I know Chinese and I can play games in Chinese if I want to but it's not as fun as I thought it would be just because my reading speed in Chinese is so slow.

So to really enjoy a game in a foreign language, not only do you need to know the language but you also need to be highly proficient at it unless you don't mind things taking forever.

I learned english faster than my schoolmates by playing chrono trigger and the final fantasies, it is annoying but totally worth the pain for another language.

• HtownHtown Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Someone would like to have a word with you.
    525px-Vyse.jpg

steam_sig.png
    256mb wrote:
    I have to look up a lot of words and phrases so I'm progressing very slowly, but it was incredibly satisfying to come across and recognize the word 枝 somewhere other than my flashcards!

I'd guess the Kansai-ben is the hardest part for you, since you've only been here a few months. I've been here for 3 years, watch TV all the time, and the latern-nosed sidekick is still a challenge to understand sometimes. Heck, I only learned the word おかん (mother) about a month ago.
    CygnusZ wrote:
    I'm not so hot on Ni no Kuni.
    How about Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke, either PS1 or PSP remake?

Well, unfortunately I think I'll be on Ni no kuni for a while, but I totally recommend using this thread (or making your own) to recruit people to play that game along with you. The point is to get people playing games, hopefully together, in Japanese to learn Japanese, and help each other along the way.

Anyway, can you tell me what that game is all about? I actually downloaded the demo, but haven't found time to play it.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    You should also try to compile or link to a list of games that are known to have furigana. Presumably any game with furigana will also be reasonably easy to understand.

I know the Japanese versions of the DS Zelda games have furigana, but it's not displayed by default. You tap on any kanji character to reveal the reading. It's great. It gives you an opportunity to try to read without help, but it's there if you need it.

• Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    I've been reading/speaking/writing Japanese since 1997

Originally when I was first learning Japanese and playing JRPGs I didn't notice, but lately it's very obvious to me how utterly vapid the writing and storylines are. It's almost like reading it in a different language created a pair of goggles that made everything look look and sound more interesting than it actually was. Now what's strange is that sometimes the English subtitles or dubbing in anime for example removes some of that vapid tone that is almost there by purpose these days (especially for the moe games).

Summary: Maybe you don't want to become native fluent in Japanese

For $$$, learning Chinese will be much more profitable for you. I think maybe over 90% of foreigners who come to Japan get burnt out and leave (super high divorce rates too). It's not all fun and games here.

Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Htown wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    619px-Hitoshura.jpg

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Demi Fiend is barely a character. He's just a proxy for you, the player.

Also why is he wearing rubber cleats?

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Exactly.

And I don't know. But it sticks out like a sore thumb.

• ZillyZilly Registered User new member
    You should also try to compile or link to a list of games that are known to have furigana.

That's a great idea. I'll start poking through my collection and see what has furigana.

Also, I'm pretty sure Shizuku (the lantern-nosed sidekick) is the best part of Ni No Kuni so far. Aside from the art. And the book that came with the preorder. Still, easily in the top three.

• 256mb256mb Registered User new member

I'd guess the Kansai-ben is the hardest part for you, since you've only been here a few months. I've been here for 3 years, watch TV all the time, and the latern-nosed sidekick is still a challenge to understand sometimes. Heck, I only learned the word おかん (mother) about a month ago.

You're right about that. I was doing pretty well until lantern-nose showed up and started talking in rapid-fire kansai-ben. Instant dislike. But he's grown on me since.

I wonder how much of this game carries over from the DS version, because I'm pretty sure the first boss is the same.

You should also try to compile or link to a list of games that are known to have furigana. Presumably any game with furigana will also be reasonably easy to understand.

I know the Japanese versions of the DS Zelda games have furigana, but it's not displayed by default. You tap on any kanji character to reveal the reading. It's great. It gives you an opportunity to try to read without help, but it's there if you need it.
    Twilight Princess has furigana, but Four Swords+ doesn't. Not sure about Kaze no Takuto, though.

The people from Ordon (Toaru Mura) speak a very strange Japanese, I was amazed at how little I could understand.

Hopefully, we won't always be chosing pricy new released, but will also go after some cheaper PSN/PSOne classic releases as well. PS3 will probably always be our system of choice, however. At least while it's still the only one we ALL own.
    I don't own a PS3, but I got a Japanese Greatest Hits Chrono Cross this summer (actually, I did it because I don't like the American boxart and disc art, and since I'm learning Japanese, why not), so maybe someday we could play that.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Stocke from Radiant Historia is my #2. He starts of a little cold, but has a rapidly expanding circle of friends who he holds dear.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Hey guys, have most of the strategy/tactical RPGs come out for handhelds only?

The genre seems to be allergic to the 360.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    For good reason. Turn based tactical RPGs on consoles are practically Japanese only, and Japan is deathly afraid of the 360.

You find a good few on the PS3, PSP, DS, 3DS and a few on the Wii.

Also, I would like to revise my earlier statement
    naengwen wrote:
    Htown wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

4kcqw1.jpg

That word is "BEEEEEEAAAUUUUUUUUTEEEEFUUUUUL"

edited November 2011
    RockinX wrote:
    I don't own a PS3, but I got a Japanese Greatest Hits Chrono Cross this summer (actually, I did it because I don't like the American boxart and disc art, and since I'm learning Japanese, why not), so maybe someday we could play that.

I'm planning on playing Chrono Cross after the release the update to allow PS1 emulation on the Vita. I'll be getting a Vita when it releases in December, but I don't know how long that'll take Sony to implement. Was supposed to be in at launch, but now it's not.

Also, if you anyone is interested in playing any of the Valkyria Chronicles, I've played them all so can help out with whatever you need.

astronautcowboy3 on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    So, is this a thread where we can talk about whatever the hell JRPG we want? Because I was recently thinking about making a thread like that, but I don't really like to make threads.

Right now I'm playing Resonance of Fate, which turned out to be really good. I'm almost done with a first playthrough, I'm currently going through Neverland so...that's gonna take awhile. Sort of.

After that I'll be continuing my Xenosaga playthrough with Xenosaga III. I've heard some say it's the best of the three, so that's good. II was...well, not quite as bad as some people made it out to be, but that doesn't mean I thought it was good. Mainly just tedious.
    naengwen wrote:
    Htown wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    yurired.jpg

Holy crap are there no good images of him. Man.

Schide wrote:
    So, is this a thread where we can talk about whatever the hell JRPG we want? Because I was recently thinking about making a thread like that, but I don't really like to make threads.

Right now I'm playing Resonance of Fate, which turned out to be really good. I'm almost done with a first playthrough, I'm currently going through Neverland so...that's gonna take awhile. Sort of.

After that I'll be continuing my Xenosaga playthrough with Xenosaga III. I've heard some say it's the best of the three, so that's good. II was...well, not quite as bad as some people made it out to be, but that doesn't mean I thought it was good. Mainly just tedious.

I'm willing to let it become whatever it wants to be, but the idea is to play JRPGs in Japanese and come here for help if you need it or discussion if there are others playing the same game as you.

• Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    I'm currently playing FFXIII for the first time in Japanese. Taking N2 in two weeks. Some other RPGs I've beaten in Japanese include
    Persona 4 (easy to read except for the villains' motive rants)
    Venus and Braves (somewhat difficult, a lot of poetic language)
    7th Dragon (I missed out on a few sidequests here and there cos I didn't know what they wanted)
    Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 (easy to play, but I missed out a lot of the deeper plot and stuff)
    The World Ends With You (a great experience)
    Sands of Destruction (this game sucks. Enough said)
    Front Mission 5 (Really hard to understand,. Doesn't help that the font's really cursive too)

edited November 2011
    I'm currently playing FFXIII for the first time in Japanese. Taking N2 in two weeks. Some other RPGs I've beaten in Japanese include
    Persona 4 (easy to read except for the villains' motive rants)
    Venus and Braves (somewhat difficult, a lot of poetic language)
    7th Dragon (I missed out on a few sidequests here and there cos I didn't know what they wanted)
    Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 (easy to play, but I missed out a lot of the deeper plot and stuff)
    The World Ends With You (a great experience)
    Sands of Destruction (this game sucks. Enough said)
    Front Mission 5 (Really hard to understand,. Doesn't help that the font's really cursive too)

Good luck, I passed it in July, mostly thanks to listening.

I'm looking forward to playing Persona 4 when it comes to the Vita.

As far as Ni no kuni goes, last night I managed to go through the three sidequests you get at the start, and oh man
    finding those kids was a nightmare

and
    I hate cat people as much as I hate cats.

But this game as a freakin' point card system; it doesn't really get more Japanese than that. I love it! I just wish the hotel chain had a point card system too, so I could stay for free after 10 visits.

astronautcowboy3 on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    These aren't RPGs, but I highly recommend:

Machi (PS, SAT, PSP)
    Kamaitachi no Yoru (SNES, PS, GBA)
    Cross Tantei Monogatari (PS, SAT)
    Silver Jiken (PS)
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (PC, PS2 (If playing PS2 make sure to get Kakera asobi)
    Umineko no Naku Koro ni (PC, PS3)

edited November 2011
    hadoken wrote:

I learned english faster than my schoolmates by playing chrono trigger and the final fantasies, it is annoying but totally worth the pain for another language.
    I learned English by playing Super Nintendo and N64 games (hello, Star Fox 64) and translating manuals! The only RPG I played at the time was Mario RPG, haha. Everyone wanted to be close to me during English exams because I was always the best at the subject and everyone else loves to cheat.

I'm now learning Japanese and games are my most powerful tool again. Pokémon in particular has been useful because all moves are written in simple infinitive (well, 99% anyway). I'm glad I got my Japanese LG at an auction for a regular GBA and three other games. One of the those was Super Robot Taisen D, but there are too many kanji, even on the menus for me to even attempt to play it.

RockinX on