As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2011 - Get with the gifting!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So I work outsourced IT helpdesk, I had to work today. Almost all of our contracts are closed, and the ones that are open are barely open. So I've been spending the whole day working on the "letter" to go with my santee's gift. It's going to be incredibly silly.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    GiftGet.gif

So after checking my email, I noticed something most awesome, that being a gift! from Steam nonetheless!

santa.png

I don't know who he is yet, but he is a graceful man who clearly gave me this in the name of Science! For in Portal 2, there is much Science to be had. Only problem with this gift was that I already got Portal 2 in the Steam sale, and now it won't even let me accept it as a gift copy. This makes me a sad panda :( But nonetheless, thank you Santa for your awesome gift! I'm gonna keep my eyes open for your future gifts too, this is gonna be so much fun...

EDIT: Upon further inspection of that email, I found out that my santa is Freelancepolice! Thanks dude, I'm so sorry I didn't check my email yesterday, I woulda saved myself ten bucks! :D Does anyone know how to accept a Steam gift as a gift copy if that's possible?

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Signups for the 5th Annual G&T Virtual Console Secret Santa opened up a few days ago. Interest seems to be low with the WiiU on the way (or maybe it's just because of the thread's low visibility), but I'm hoping that it can have one last hurrah on the Wii before everyone moves on.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the link Aaron, I'm going to see if I can do it this year.

I just got a new ProxyM letting me know that Gaslight is not my Santa, he just helped with the Steam gifting. I have no freaking idea who it could be and I am loving this!

• Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    GiftGet.gif

Awesome! What a great "Welcome Home" gift for my first Thanksgiving with my parents in 12 years. World of Goo, Sequence, Mass Effect 2, and The Witcher 2, all on some program called "Water in Gaseous Form" or something-or-other. Sadly, my laptop got wrecked, so I won't be able to utilize those quite yet. And what? _TWO_ boxes to expect? You are the mostbestest, ConnoQuicksilver.

Aw, waitasecond... that was supposed to be anonymous! Did Proxy Elf ruined my surprise?
    :(

Oh well, I can't stay mad at Proxy when there's CHRISTMAS/THANKSGIVING CHEER to spread! I forgive you, little over-worked elf! Nope, that was my mistake, Steam betrayed me!

Strebalicious, I'm happy to see you got back from Japan in time for Thanksgiving with your family! Seeing you talking about traffic jams in Kyoto, I was thinking "man, whatever I send him will probably rot on his porch for weeks in the rain..."
    But a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE happened! Was there any doubt, guys? Eh?
    Well, a perfect Christmas miracle would have prevented your wrecked laptop. Sorry to hear that... hey, I'm not omnipotent.

As for the rest... let's just say you won't need a laptop to enjoy it.
    :winky:

HOHOHO! Happy Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas to everyone!

ConnoQuicksilver on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    No, your Steam gifts gave you away because they automagically add you as a friend.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    No, your Steam gifts gave you away because they automagically add you as a friend.

Ah, a beginner's mistake. Sorry Proxy, my bad!

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular

To avoid this, gift a Steam game to an email address that you control. You can then send only the gift code that they provide to your Santee and retain your anonymity!

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    SO MUCH CHRISTMAS CHEER!

I am very afraid of disapointing my Santee. I want to give something local, but I'm afraid that the "oh this is local and thats neat!" isn't as strong as the "I don't want this."

Hmmmmm...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Thanksgiving is over! Time for Christmas music and putting up decorations and all that awesome fun stuff! Heck yes!

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Santa!

It took heading to three different stores and waiting in the cold, but I managed to snag a PS3, so wooo for me. In case you're still needing some ideas/hints, here's the stuff I got with it;
    Uncharted 2
    God of War 3
    And the following movies; In Bruges, Dark Knight, Watchmen, Prestige, Fight Club, Scott Pilgrim, Pulp Fiction, and Serenity.

So feel free to help me fill out my game/movie collection.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Willeth wrote:

To avoid this, gift a Steam game to an email address that you control. You can then send only the gift code that they provide to your Santee and retain your anonymity!

When they click the URL, it will show who purchased the gift.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    Willeth wrote:

When they click the URL, it will show who purchased the gift.

My solution to this will be (should I go this route - no slips for you, Santee) to set up a dummy email address and send the games there. Then I'll include the login information for that email in the package I send to them so that all gifts are received at the same time and my identity is revealed at the right moment. Of course it relies upon Santees not getting purchase-happy in the meantime. =P

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    No one has posted the best Christmas song ever yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaPXihbORk

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Willeth wrote:

Are you sure this works? I swear I tried this last year and my santee was still magically added to my friends list.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    From the screens people have been posting, it looks like it reveals your community profile and e-mail address no matter what you do.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Send the Steam gift to the e-mail instead of the Steam account. Problem solved.

EDIT: Unless your name is in your e-mail or something.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Arikado wrote:
    Send the Steam gift to the e-mail instead of the Steam account. Problem solved.

EDIT: Unless your name is in your e-mail or something.

Yep, the e-mail has all that stuff too.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    You can always make a new gmail address, they're quite free.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    It doesn't matter if you send it to an e-mail address or whatever. As far as I can tell, the Steam account that purchased the game is automatically added to the friend list of the person who redeems it, no matter what. If you want to do it anonymously, you'd need to make a throwaway Steam account.

• Options
    Not only are you added to their friend list, it shows who the gift is from in the redemption window after they click the URL.

Either make a dummy Steam account or get someone else to gift for you as a proxy.

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    more santa stalking...SO MUCH STALKING.
    oOUWa.jpg

V8mF1.jpg

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm confused as to why my 'steam solution' post was basically ignored and then the problem continued to be discussed. I feel let out.

@deveric - Gotta love those Saxton Hale post cards. I'd be tempted to frame them if a 3rd one comes. Would make a fantastic bit of wall art. ^_^

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I guess people like to remain anonymous. Me? I prefer to be known. It gives everyone the impression that I'm not an asshole in real life.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    I'm confused as to why my 'steam solution' post was basically ignored and then the problem continued to be discussed. I feel let out.

Because we are talking about sending a steam gift now, so that you remain anonymous even after its received.

There are dozens of ways to buy the games now and gift them when the package arrives. That's not the issue.

• Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    @niceguyeddie616

Did you check your gift pass roster in steam? sometimes it gives you a ticket for the game you already have. so you can the pass it on to another through steam.

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    EDIT: Upon further inspection of that email, I found out that my santa is Freelancepolice! Thanks dude, I'm so sorry I didn't check my email yesterday, I woulda saved myself ten bucks! :D Does anyone know how to accept a Steam gift as a gift copy if that's possible?

Nope. It will simply sit in the original sender's gift redemption window. Freelancepolice can re-gift it so someone else that way, instead. Technically, it's in no way associated with your account right now.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    @Mighty Did you receive another package yet? It's probably at your parents house if that's where the last one showed up. Also, hope you had a happy Thanksgiving! :]

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I spent this afternoon sat at my dining table carving bits out of something making an extra gift for my Santee. I couldn't find the superglue I needed to finish it, so when LewieP's Daddy came home, I asked him where it was. He brought me a new, unopened tube and left it on said table (light oak, extending, oblong table).
    Fortunately, I decided to do the glueing whilst at my PC. There is now a lovely puddle of superglue setting on the melamine pull-out keyboard shelf and my fingers are covered in the dried stuff! I have however succeeded in not glueing them together whilst at the same time glueing the gift together.
    And I have been breathing in the fumes for about 15 minutes. Whoops! My Santee had better like it, else I want it back!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Dear Santee, you have yourself a very undead christmas ;)

• Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    For some reason I remember from my Warhammer days that my fingers would end up with super-glue dried onto them, and it was very satisfying to peel it off.

Confirmed with the missus that I'm not crazy.

Or that we're both crazy.

You decide.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dear Gift Recipient,

Soon

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Alright. All of the Christmas presents are wrapped, the tree is being decorated, a turkey breast is in the oven, my Christmas playlist is set to loop, and I have a steaming hot bowl of tortellini. It's officially Christmas time here.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    DawasaurusDawasaurus In a forestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    On Super Glue:
    One time, my sister had some friends over. One dude's glasses broke (prior to coming), so he planned to fix them with Super Glue. He brought everything with him to our house, and decided it would be a good idea to do the glueing in the main bathroom. Without bothering to put down any paper towels or anything. Of course he made a mess of it; squirting it onto the marble counter-top, and down into the sink. That was about ten years ago. And the glue is still there. All crusty and kind of sharp. D:

Guess it's about time I try to remove it, eh?

falalalalalalalala

Dawasaurus on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Holy fuck FCKH8.com is having a sale

They have this in a small

But there's only 2 of those left, and I don't have $10

Santa, if you're reading this right now, GOO GOOGOG GOOGOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGO

SWEET JESUS THAT'S ALL YOU HAVE TO GET ME IF YOU WANT AND I WILL STILL LOVE YOU

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I got a package today!

But I don't think it's from my Santa, unless he ordered the same thing I did earlier this week from Amazon, and I would be extremely creeped out about how well he stalked me.
    Santa, if you somehow figured out what my wife and I's favorite brand of condom is, you've stalked too well. Step it down a notch.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Dawasaurus wrote:
    On Super Glue:
    One time, my sister had some friends over. One dude's glasses broke (prior to coming), so he planned to fix them with Super Glue. He brought everything with him to our house, and decided it would be a good idea to do the glueing in the main bathroom. Without bothering to put down any paper towels or anything. Of course he made a mess of it; squirting it onto the marble counter-top, and down into the sink. That was about ten years ago. And the glue is still there. All crusty and kind of sharp. D:

Guess it's about time I try to remove it, eh?

falalalalalalalala

Acetone desolves it. Assuming it's cyanoacrylate.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever gone to check up on their friend's cat and wind up leaving their Xmas present excel sheet on their friend's kitchen counter? Fugggggggg.

I told his fiance to throw it out when they get home Sunday since her section is blank on there. Ha.

Santee, I want to spoil you. I hope I do well.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    GIFT GET...
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Dear Gift Recipient,

Soon

Oh I just got it.

Will post pics soon

I hope you're happy...