As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skyrim: Make sure to inspect the smell of your children’s finger nails on a daily basis.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    I've only encountered one troll so far.

I was out hunting bear and sabrecats for leather with Lydia.

We get jumped by a frost troll. Half way through, another shows up.

Then two ice bears.

Then an ice wolf pack.

We're both bloody and beaten and near dead, when ANOTHER Frost troll shows up.

Lydia: "Ohh come on..."

easysig2.jpg
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Dux wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:
    RE: Houses and Windhelm.
    Windhelm is the best house, bar none, everything that's out in the open is warrior based, mannequins for your armour, display chests for weapons, weapon racks, wall mounts...then hiding away behind the false back of a wardrobe is an alchemy and enchanting room, which makes a beautiful kind of sense when you think about how the populace seems distrustful of Mages.

<3 that house.
    Seriously, such a nice house. Totally worth doing the war questline for.

It's also really fucking hard to get. I got to the point where Ulfric offered it to me, but the Steward won't sell it to me because I haven't started Blood on the Ice. And, as far as I can tell, the scene to trigger it only happens once. I keep showing up at night looking for the people gathered in the graveyard and nobody is ever there and it is super annoying. I don't know why they would tie the house to such a broken quest line.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just turned my game on and a blood dragon just fell dead from the sky and I absorbed it's soul. No bones or scales though.

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    oh man, has anyone found maybe a camp with three stone trolls sitting at the fire? because that would be awesome, but you gotta be a true nerd to know why.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    rfilyaw wrote:
    oh man, has anyone found maybe a camp with three stone trolls sitting at the fire? because that would be awesome, but you gotta be a true nerd to know why.

I don't think it takes that much of a nerd to get this.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Sweet, free dragon soul
    rfilyaw wrote:

Who didn't have the Hobbit read to them as a child

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    well, me.. since I didn't read it till I was in my 20s

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to type in comcast.net so I can check my email, but I keep typing cocmast

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I got to the point where Ulfric offered it to me, but the Steward won't sell it to me because I haven't started Blood on the Ice.

Try breaking into the house and investigating to see if that triggers the quest?

A lot of them have several possible starting points like that.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I had to read the hobbit by myself when I was 13.

Because my mom hates Tolkien and my dad didn't read anything not about tropical fish.

Well, that is a shame!

My dad read it to us when I was about 7 or 8 (old enough to read on my own, but it was still fun to sit and listen as he read to the whole family). It is a good children's book! But I am also from the UK where it is probably more popular.

Uriel wrote:

Because my mom hates Tolkien and my dad didn't read anything not about tropical fish.
    To be fair I would neither recommend nor read anything else by Tolkien.

The Hobbit is great, though.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Janson wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

I read the lord of the rings first actually, because the movies were out about that time.

But yeah the hobbit is certainly a better read, if only because it's shorter and lighter of heart. Not to say that LotR is bad, they are just about equal to me.

Then I read the silmarillion...

Tallahasseeriel on
    Janson wrote: »
    Uriel wrote:

I'm going to need you to remove your fetus, so I can beat you soundly.

Put it back in after I'm done.

easysig2.jpg
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Fyndir wrote:
    I got to the point where Ulfric offered it to me, but the Steward won't sell it to me because I haven't started Blood on the Ice.

Try breaking into the house and investigating to see if that triggers the quest?

Well, before that quest you can't even break into the house. After you start it it's "Master" locked, but before it straight up "Requires Key." One NPC holds it but I can't get it off of her because my sneak/pickpocket skill isn't high enough (big warrior, heavy armor, very unsubtle). So I unlocked it with the console and none of the quest triggers are popping up -- like, when you activate certain objects, it's supposed to be "investigate" instead of "open chest" or whatever -- and when I get into the altar room and try to look at the altar it gives a weird QuestInvestigationTarget to interact with. Which does nothing.

I can't think of a way to attack it from here. Far as I can tell you can't start a quest from the console. Maybe if I unlocked it with the real key it'd be better, but the lady who holds it is marked as essential, so I can't kill her, and I can't pick it off of her. Maybe the Steward has a copy too. I guess I'll just have to settle for getting it on my other character.

holy shit, I just got attacked by 6 fucking walruses...walri. Horkers.

Stale wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

I'm going to need you to remove your fetus, so I can beat you soundly.

Put it back in after I'm done.
    Sure, hold on a sec

I am not going to argue, I find most of the rest of Tolkien boring as hell, I can take a beating

Well, before that quest you can't even break into the house.

Might be worth going to the Palace and talking to the mage, it's possible there's a conversation line with him that triggers the quest from what I'm reading.

I don't really know, but it'll only take a minute or two to check, and might yield a result.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

I will end you

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    do you have to do civil war stuff to get windhelm house

Soo putting off the civil war

I don't know!

I just liked the stormcloak guy in the beginning also the Empire = Roman empire and Skyrim = like the north of the Roman empire = Britain which I guess is why I'm feeling vaguely stormcloaky but uuuggh can't everyone just get along

also apparently I did a Dark Brotherhood quest without even realising? Is that because I persuaded the farmer to help the creepy jester guy?

edited November 2011
    Janson wrote:
    also apparently I did a Dark Brotherhood quest without even realising? Is that because I persuaded the farmer to help the creepy jester guy?

Yes.
    He's the Keeper, he is transporting the Night Mother to the last remaining sanctuary of the Dark Brotherhood.

Langly wrote:
    do you have to do civil war stuff to get windhelm house

I believe so, yes, it became an option for me after I put an end to the filthy rebels.

Fyndir on
    edited November 2011
    Fyndir wrote:
    Well, before that quest you can't even break into the house.

Might be worth going to the Palace and talking to the mage, it's possible there's a conversation line with him that triggers the quest from what I'm reading.

I don't really know, but it'll only take a minute or two to check, and might yield a result.

I did more research on it and it turns out my game is just bugged. Apparently I'm supposed to be able to buy the house, and that starts the quest at some point midway through, but the steward just says it's unavailable whenever I ask him about it.

Really frustrating.

I did try talking to the mage, but the only thing he does is offer to train me in destruction magic. Thanks for the help, though.

freakish light on
    I did more research on it and it turns out my game is just bugged. Apparently I'm supposed to be able to buy the house, and that starts the quest at some point midway through, but the steward just says it's unavailable whenever I ask him about it.

Really frustrating.

I had done that quest long before I did the civil war stuff, and long before I bought the house, for sure.

I dunno, guess you're just stuffed.

Sucks.

• Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    Has anyone else had a dragon you were fighting fly around, then crash to the ground, creating a 100-yard landing strip of torn earth as it slides to a stop?

Cuz that happened to me the other day. I found a ruined tower with a dragon perched on top. I snuck up, put an arrow in its face, and another as it took off in its fury (putting it at about half health), then it circled once, and crashed down to the ground a short bit away from the tower, like a plane with no landing gear. The animation was a bit wonky, but it was pretty cool anyway, and the dragon couldn't (or wouldn't) take off again, it just sat there as if it were waiting for me to put it out of its misery.

Well maybe it'll be better on my new character. Already started the quest.

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Was walking towards the bridge of windhelm when I come across a farmer walkin the opposite direction. I talk to him, and he says something about being sick of the stormcloaks and how he was hiking to solitude to join the legion. I'm thinking hey buddy, you're in stormcloak country, might wanna keep it down, and move on. Go a few bits off the road when the encounter music hits and I start looking in front of me, nothing. Then I turn around and see two wolves attacking the farmer. I rush over to try to save the guy, but it's too late. He's dead. And I soul suck the wolves just because. So does this mean stormcloaks got wolves working for them?

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote:

Well, before that quest you can't even break into the house. After you start it it's "Master" locked, but before it straight up "Requires Key." One NPC holds it but I can't get it off of her because my sneak/pickpocket skill isn't high enough (big warrior, heavy armor, very unsubtle). So I unlocked it with the console and none of the quest triggers are popping up -- like, when you activate certain objects, it's supposed to be "investigate" instead of "open chest" or whatever -- and when I get into the altar room and try to look at the altar it gives a weird QuestInvestigationTarget to interact with. Which does nothing.

I can't think of a way to attack it from here. Far as I can tell you can't start a quest from the console. Maybe if I unlocked it with the real key it'd be better, but the lady who holds it is marked as essential, so I can't kill her, and I can't pick it off of her. Maybe the Steward has a copy too. I guess I'll just have to settle for getting it on my other character.

Yeah I've been having the exact same problem.

So very frustrating.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Has anyone else had a dragon you were fighting fly around, then crash to the ground, creating a 100-yard landing strip of torn earth as it slides to a stop?

Cuz that happened to me the other day. I found a ruined tower with a dragon perched on top. I snuck up, put an arrow in its face, and another as it took off in its fury (putting it at about half health), then it circled once, and crashed down to the ground a short bit away from the tower, like a plane with no landing gear. The animation was a bit wonky, but it was pretty cool anyway, and the dragon couldn't (or wouldn't) take off again, it just sat there as if it were waiting for me to put it out of its misery.
    Yeah it's pretty awesome.

I love the frantic sprint to get to a landed dragon before it takes off again. It's always intense.

The guide says you have to leave and enter Windhelm more than four times before the quest can trigger, have you guys tried that?

• moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote:

Really frustrating.

I had done that quest long before I did the civil war stuff, and long before I bought the house, for sure.

I dunno, guess you're just stuffed.

Sucks.

Without excessive spoilage, is this quest that you have to do before the civil war stuff part of the main quest, or something else? I was thinking of going to Windhelm soon.

Also, I'm 37 and haven't visited the Greybeards for the first time yet. I have killed an elder dragon though! He was all bronzey!

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote:
    were you doing something fun? thalmor fucking hate fun

that was probably it! they had a note on them that said I had fucked up some of their plans but I don't know what. the only thalmor I've run into was that guy at the mage college

ikbUJdU.jpg
    For 360 users beware of another quest bug re: Repairing the Phial

You can complete the first part, however the second won't unlock until after you open up the throat of the world. Once you arrive there, get rid of any and all briar hearts if you're carrying them. Otherwise a courier will show up shortly and deliver a message that will automatically start you on the next step, and you will be unable to complete it because the briar heart you already have bugs it out.

easysig2.jpg
    Good tip, I have briar hearts and was about to do the second half of that quest, thank you, Stale!

moocow wrote:
    Without excessive spoilage, is this quest that you have to do before the civil war stuff part of the main quest, or something else? I was thinking of going to Windhelm soon.

Completely separate from the main quest, it's a Windhelm specific quest.

Janson wrote:
    The guide says you have to leave and enter Windhelm more than four times before the quest can trigger, have you guys tried that?

Yeah. I think the problem is that it triggers once as soon as you hit four times, and then stops happening. As soon as you miss it I don't think it repeats.

Good tip, I have briar hearts and was about to do the second half of that quest, thank you, Stale!

if you've already received his summons back to the shop, you're screwed

easysig2.jpg
    I have not!

you can check by trying to remove any briar hearts. If it says you can't remove quest items, whelp, you're fucked.

easysig2.jpg
  • IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

Boooooooooo

Gonna buy your kid so much LotR merchandise

SO MUCH

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
This discussion has been closed.