As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Catwine [chat]

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Abdhyius wrote:
    I get why one would find it offensive but like, come on. Chill out.

Yeah, that's great. "Oh you're offended? Calm down."

That...doesn't work. And it is offensive, it's right to call people out on that.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2011
    ronya wrote:
    Someone once linked me to a site dedicated to Asian people bitching about White people with yellow fever and how they were taking all the good asian girls and diluting the culture. I wish I could remember it. It was like...Asian Stormfront.

this is a thing that exists

the gender ratio really doesn't help

It exists with black girls too. I've seen black women bitching about how white women take all the good black men.

And i'm just like "Ladies. How about some of this white chocolate?"

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    same way every pakistani I know call themselves a pakkis - not the girls though - and every black guy cheerfully calls themselves neger

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronya wrote:
    Someone once linked me to a site dedicated to Asian people bitching about White people with yellow fever and how they were taking all the good asian girls and diluting the culture. I wish I could remember it. It was like...Asian Stormfront.

this is a thing that exists

the gender ratio really doesn't help

It exists with black girls too. I've seen black women bitching about how white women take all the good black men.

And i'm just like "Ladies. How about some of this white chocolate?"

Nobody likes white chocolate.

I mean I do.

But when I say I do, I'm not talking about you, Justin. I'm being literal.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I'm not angry or freaking out about this.

I just don't enjoy casual racism.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    brunost, brown cheese, is a term here, which is kind of a funny way to describe brown people as there's few things more norwegian than brown cheese

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Every since Hershey's introduced their White Chocolate with chocolate chips in like 99, I've been all over that shit. I love it.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Abdhyius wrote:
    same way every pakistani I know call themselves a pakkis - not the girls though - and every black guy cheerfully calls themselves neger

I've never heard any Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, or Vietnamese person refer to themselves or any other Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, or Vietnamese person as "yellow" or anything like that. I've never heard any of them use the phrase "yellow fever," either. I'd be surprised if I did.

And even if I had, so what? That people in the culture use racist terms doesn't make it okay for it to be bandied about here.

Drez on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote:

But posh, it isn't racism when you're white

Haven't you learned anything

• Options
    poshniallo wrote:

using racist terms isn't inherently racist

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

Using racist terms contributes to a racist culture. It doesn't matter if you're racist or not; it's not a good thing to do.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

Using racist terms contributes to a racist culture. It doesn't matter if you're racist or not; it's not a good thing to do.

FALSE

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I keep seeing yellow fever and I keep thinking of the actual disease.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote:

Malaria?

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

I've never heard any Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, or Vietnamese person refer to themselves or any other Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, or Vietnamese person as "yellow" or anything like that. I've never heard any of them use the phrase "yellow fever," either. I'd be surprised if I did.

And even if I had, so what? That people in the culture use racist terms doesn't make it okay for it to be bandied about here.

well it would be wierd for actual korean chinese japanese thai and vietnamese to use that in korea, china, japan, thailand and vietnam

I should have specified, norwegian-vietnamese, norwegian-pakistani and norwegian-african people in Norway.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

Bullshit.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

FALSE

No, it's not false. Stop trolling and go back to fantasizing about black women licking your white chalk.

Drez on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2011
    am i really not supposed to 'be offended on other people's behalf'? if someone is casually and insensitively throwing around n****r and retard and faggot in a way that i deem upsetting, i'm being a 'typical american liberal' by taking offense?

i really don't want to celebrate a progressive culture where people who tell bigots to fuck off are being 'insufferable liberals'

Organichu on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    See it's weird because white/yellow fever are a pretty notable thing among white/asian people. But Jungle fever and the inverse is pretty rare as far as I can tell.

I wonder why. I guess asians/whites look "more" like each other, so I guess that explains the attraction to exotic but similar.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I can prove otherwise in my lecture "Fun With Racism"*

*I have no such lecture. Racism isn't fun in a lot of contexts.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:

Malaria?

Different disease. Yellow fever is a hemorrhagic fever that has the fun of causing jaundice thus the yellow part. But it is mosquito born illness and is mostly in Africa though. Though it was named after the Yellow River in China if I remember right. Also there is an effective vaccine.

Also Posh, I never ran into more casual racism than when I lived in Japan. It must drive you nuts on that as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Organichu wrote:
    am i really not supposed to 'be offended on other people's behalf'? if someone is casually and insensitively throwing around n****r and retard and faggot in a way that i deem upsetting, i'm being a 'typical american liberal' by taking offense?

i really don't want to celebrate a progressive culture where people who tell bigots to fuck off are being 'insufferable liberals'

If someone is using them insensitively then that is the problem.

Bigots should always get told to fuck off - but the terms one uses are not what makes a bigot. If that was true about every bigot I've had the displeasure of knowing wouldn't be a bigot.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

well it would be wierd for actual korean chinese japanese thai and vietnamese to use that in korea, china, japan, thailand and vietnam

I should have specified, norwegian-vietnamese, norwegian-pakistani and norwegian-african people in Norway.

Your post is weird, bro. I'm talking about people with those ethnic background. Where they use the terms are pretty much irrelevant. Unless I have totally misunderstood Norwegian society, I don't see how these people being in Norway makes it any better or different for Asians to call each other yellows, or talk about yellow fever.

In fact, I find yellow fever pretty offensive to both the Asians being described and the people who like them. It's not even that offensive to Asians, I would say, it's MORE offensive to the foreigners that the whole concept of "yellow fever" is trying to marginalize.

The point is: So what if a white guy or black guy likes a Korean girl? The whole "yellow fever" thing is fucking terrible.

• Options
    tangentially, starting a sentence with "I'm not a racist, but" should involve a mandatory slapping

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

FALSE

I agree with Drez. Using racist terms, even in a non-racist light-hearted context, contributes to making racist terms accepted and mainstream. Which in turn makes it easy for people to use them in racist mean-spirited contexts. I guess I just never thought of "yellow fever" as a racist term, but I can certainly see now how it could be one.

It's much the same with people calling stuff "gay" as a pejorative. Even if they aren't homophobic or are even entirely pro-gay, the fact that they are using "gay" as a generic insult contributes to stigmatizing homosexuality.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

FALSE

No, it's not false. Stop trolling and go back to fantasizing about black women licking your white chalk.

Not trolling. Never trolling.

I just give 0 fucks about words that people use. They don't mean anything. They don't hurt.

Actions hurt.

And I'm pretty sure by using the term "Yellow Fever" I haven't pushed back the societal standing of asian folks.

Fuck man, you live in New York, right? Chinatown? Full of Asian people from all different countries. Are you calling to have that changed? No?

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I've never heard any of my East Asian ethnic friends, wherever they are from, refer to themselves as Yellow. Some of my Malaysian Chinese friends do however call me the Yeti though, but I guess that is my own fault for getting drunk while dressed in cold weather gear, then giving everyone drunken bear hugs that I referred to as Yeti hugs, then letting people get photos of such

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

Bullshit.

Cool story bro.

Yellow fever is probably one of the most racist things I've seen here, and it really bothers me that some of you are taking it so casually. I would say it is considerably more racist than throwing the n-word around. It's basically promoting cultural purity, which is racist in and of itself. And to casually refer to Asians as "yellow" or "yellows" is goddamn awful.

My respect for some people here has dropped greatly.

I'm going to go get ready for my interview.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2011
    the point is that the words are steeped in offensiveness so if someone is really bothered by them, and finds any manifestation to be insensitive... then is it so hard to go ok, bro, i won't say that around you? you don't have to acquiesce to their entire worldview. but you're not a performing artist with a vast, important stage. you're a dude in a thread on an internet forum, so reconsider the etiquette and propriety of acting a martyr for being told not to say yellow fever or faggot or whatever.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:

Malaria?

Different disease. Yellow fever is a hemorrhagic fever that has the fun of causing jaundice thus the yellow part. But it is mosquito born illness and is mostly in Africa though. Though it was named after the Yellow River in China if I remember right. Also there is an effective vaccine.

Also Posh, I never ran into more casual racism than when I lived in Japan. It must drive you nuts on that as well.

Yeah, it does. Probably makes me more sensitive when white people are racist than I used to be. Trying to find a silver lining, at least white people like us who've been the target of racism are less likely to do it to others.

Having said that, I find the more I speak Japanese and get involved with everyday boring Japanese society, the less racism I experience. I swear to god, the people who speak English and are 'interested in foreigners' seem more racist than the ones who don't give a shit. I hear more racist shite in the English classroom than I ever do in everyday life.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    Richy wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

FALSE

I agree with Drez. Using racist terms, even in a non-racist light-hearted context, contributes to making racist terms accepted and mainstream. Which in turn makes it easy for people to use them in racist mean-spirited contexts. I guess I just never thought of "yellow fever" as a racist term, but I can certainly see now how it could be one.

It's much the same with people calling stuff "gay" as a pejorative. Even if they aren't homophobic or are even entirely pro-gay, the fact that they are using "gay" as a generic insult contributes to stigmatizing homosexuality.

Good.

Do you know why?

Because it takes all the bite out of the word. Do you know why words like "Honkey" and "Cracker" mean nothing? Because there's absolutely no bite to them at all. Do you know why words like "Ass" and "Damn" are all over TV now when they never would have been in the days of yore? Because the bite has been completely taken out of them. Taking the bite out of racist terms makes them laughable, and a joke, rather than a scary word that white people clench their assholes over.

• Options
    I wouldn't say I'm racist, I'm just highly suspicious when I'm in a bad neighborhood, or someone has their pants down to their ankles. Typically you get shot with those type of people and those types of places.

But white guy and black guy makes no difference there. I also don't give a fuck in a professional setting. I once worked with a south african guy, he was pretty cool. Pretty nice actually, like, super nice.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    White chocolate sounds more like an albino African than a white person like you, Justin.

Next time, you should ask if anyone wants to climb your ivory tower.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    White chocolate sounds more like an albino African than a white person like you, Justin.

Next time, you should ask if anyone wants to climb your ivory tower.

Damn, why didn't I think of that.

I don't think I'll have the opportunity though. My girlfriend thinks all black people are ugly. She actually said to me. "I think I'm racist because I find all black people to be ugly."

Meanwhile I'm all "I would eat Serena Williams' ass until the sun rises."

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Getting offended by things like "yellow fever" is ridiculous. Come up with a more common term that I can use and you'll understand without me having to sound like a fucking doctor when I'm making every single post and posting with an addendum of "I'm not a lawyer, a doctor, or a garbage man."

• Options
    Richy wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

FALSE

Good.

Do you know why?

Because it takes all the bite out of the word. Do you know why words like "Honkey" and "Cracker" mean nothing? Because there's absolutely no bite to them at all. Do you know why words like "Ass" and "Damn" are all over TV now when they never would have been in the days of yore? Because the bite has been completely taken out of them. Taking the bite out of racist terms makes them laughable, and a joke, rather than a scary word that white people clench their assholes over.

Honky and cracker don't upset you because they're directed at the powerful group in that society, you tremendously ignorant fuckmuppet.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

Your post is weird, bro. I'm talking about people with those ethnic background. Where they use the terms are pretty much irrelevant. Unless I have totally misunderstood Norwegian society, I don't see how these people being in Norway makes it any better or different for Asians to call each other yellows, or talk about yellow fever.

In fact, I find yellow fever pretty offensive to both the Asians being described and the people who like them. It's not even that offensive to Asians, I would say, it's MORE offensive to the foreigners that the whole concept of "yellow fever" is trying to marginalize.

The point is: So what if a white guy or black guy likes a Korean girl? The whole "yellow fever" thing is fucking terrible.

Okay, I can agree that the yellow fever thing has a bit of a sour taste.

Actually, yeah, okay, I agree it's kind of offensive when not used tongue-in-cheek because it's like oh you like her? hur hur yellow fever, IE you're like the slightly creepy old men who bring suspiciously young asian chicks home

which again is a sentiment that has a sour taste because, like, thinking "oh he's a creepy old man and she's a gold digger" if I see a white guy with an "imported asian" is... not very good.

Now that I think about it, yellow fever is one of those things that is related to a bad knee-jerk thought that pops into my head which I hate so okay. It is offensive. I recant my previous statement saying otherwise.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    poshniallo wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

FALSE

Good.

Do you know why?

Honky and cracker don't upset you because they're directed at the powerful group in that society, you tremendously ignorant fuckmuppet.

See, you called me a fuckmuppet. That's not a real insult. I laughed at it. There's no bite to that. It's a joke.

Thanks for proving my point!

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    Getting offended by things like "yellow fever" is ridiculous. Come up with a more common term that I can use and you'll understand without me having to sound like a fucking doctor when I'm making every single post and posting with an addendum of "I'm not a lawyer, a doctor, or a garbage man."

OK - you should call it 'an unnatural inclination for miscegenation.' or 'the urge to lie with a craven subhuman'.

Either of those seems fine.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

FALSE

Not trolling. Never trolling.

I just give 0 fucks about words that people use. They don't mean anything. They don't hurt.

Actions hurt.

And I'm pretty sure by using the term "Yellow Fever" I haven't pushed back the societal standing of asian folks.

Fuck man, you live in New York, right? Chinatown? Full of Asian people from all different countries. Are you calling to have that changed? No?

Words actually do hurt. Unless you're still six years old and put stock in that old children's rhyme about sticks and stones. Which is possible I guess - you certainly act like a six year old sometimes.

But it's not that the words themselves cause direct harm. Words are communication of ideas. Ideas spread through words. The propagation of "yellow fever" as a bad thing is itself a bad, and racist, thing. It's something that should not be done. When you throw the term around, you are actively contributing to a racist culture by propagating a racist meme.

But I'm sure you'll just put your fingers in your ears and go "LA LA LA LA LA," which is something else six year olds do.

And I don't know what the fuck you're talking about with regard to Chinatown. I am not against people wanting to preserve some cultural identity in America. But "you shouldn't mix whites with Asians" is terrible. Not everything about Chinatown promotes that thought. But "yellow fever" as a meme sure does.

I can't even believe this is a discussion.

This discussion has been closed.