As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2011 - Get with the gifting!

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    LewieP used his old XBox as a media centre, with everything linked up all over the house, it was superb!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    GiftGet.gif

The mail carrier brought a little something extra in yesterday's mail - a mysterious package! Not knowing what it could be, it was time once again to employ the services of package inspectors Coco and Spunky.

Coco was first on the scene:
    IMG_20111128_224700.jpg

After the initial inspection passed, she reviews the opened package:
    IMG_20111128_224742.jpg

Once the contents have been removed, inspector Spunky takes over:
    IMG_20111128_224923.jpg

Having met with the approval of both inspectors, a close-up of the contents:
    IMG_20111128_224954.jpg

Mmm, Pocky. I've only had it once before, but I remembered it as being quite tasty. And it was yet again, thanks Santa!

Let's take a look at the card:
    IMG_20111128_225116.jpg

IMG_20111128_225133.jpg

IMG_20111128_225156.jpg

Hmm, a mysterious identity. I is intrigued, Santa.

Wrapped item #1:
    IMG_20111128_225610.jpg

A poke-thingy! Heh, I've never really been exposed to Pokemon before, but I fully expect my son will be into them once he's old enough. What better time to start him than now? There appear to be some strong opinions on the forums on Oshawatt's value as a starter. Excellent.

Wrapped item #2:
    IMG_20111128_225547.jpg

Oh ho ho, I've heard about this one ;-) My wife and I laughed about the title and concept when I first saw it mentioned online. We laughed even harder last night as I read it aloud, even though we both felt slightly guilty afterward. Though not as guilty as I would have expected. A gift that hits close to home!

Wrapped item #3:
    IMG_20111128_225650.jpg

Who can't use a little invincibility when they're in trouble? Cute and whimsical, this star is hanging on the Christmas tree when we put it up. Hopefully high enough that my little guy can't get to it. Or the package inspectors. I think all 3 junior household members were equally intrigued by this one.

The entire haul:
    IMG_20111128_225712.jpg

But wait, let's look at that card again. There's more? You spoil me, Santa. But I have to figure out who you are or the gift gets it. Heavens to murgatroyd! Ok, there's a clue: look to the beginning to find the end. Let's see here. Is anything about the card or gifts a hint to my santa's avatar or name? Do we have a Pocky in the SS this year? Alas, no.

What else can I try? The beginning of the book? No luck there.

What about the card itself? Perhaps the first letter of each sentence? Hmm, M-Y-N-A-M-E-I-S- omg
    My name is Slim Shady. Eminem is my Santa? It makes sense! Eminem would bust a cap in a gift if his santee didn't respect him enough to identify him correctly. And he totally seems like a pocky and Pokemon fan...Er wait, no...something's wrong here.

M-Y-N-A-M-E-I-S-M-I-G-H-T-Y

Ahh-hah! Santa Mighty! And a mighty wonderful Santa you are indeed! Thanks for the great package, I'm looking forward to whatever the final part may be.

Oh, what's this? Package inspector Rohan finally returned home from his grandparents' house?
    IMG_20111129_174400.jpg
    He did indeed. And he's cranky, and hungry, and tired, but he won't sleep, and omg I'm turning into the parent from that book aren't I? Egads.

IMG_20111129_174445.jpg
    Oshawott to the rescue! I think Rohan's supposed to be training him, but for right now it might be the other way around.

Thanks Mighty!!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    LewieP used his old XBox as a media centre, with everything linked up all over the house, it was superb!

my brother just came over and he has an Xbox that's gen modded to do the same but has no idea how to use it. Wish he'd just pass it over.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I was laying on my bed staring at the ceiling late yesterday afternoon, trying to weigh the relative merits of taking a nap versus venturing out into the ongoing downpour in search of something which would approximate a dinner versus getting a jump start on building a vessel of gopherwood, when there came through the sound of the steady deluge a rapping on my door.

I opened the portal to see a somewhat bedraggled-looking brown-liveried courier. In exchange for a perfunctory illegible scribble on his archaic industrial tablet device he handed me a parcel, unassuming but for the festive bullseye-print sealing tape.
    gbUaz.jpg

(Note still-wet raindrop spots, adding authenticity to my account!)

Beneath a shipping cushion airbag, I found a packing slip, which among more prosaic information carried this message:
    FeE3F.jpg

(I'm not sure how well you can see that depending on your monitor and resolution, so I'll tell you that it says: "To Gaslight. Surprise! The other presents were but a distraction, this is the real thing. Merry Christmas, Secret Santa.")

And beneath the packing slip, I found...this.
    mNb6k.jpg

Santa, do you know what you've done? First you get me that CPU cooler and gave me an excuse to spend hundreds of dollars on other realistically unnecessary upgrades to my computer. Now you get me an entirely new game system? I'm going to have to actually, like, buy games for this thing now, and...and I just barely got through the Steam Thanksgiving sale and a Christmas sale is right around the corner, and...

I see what this is. Beneath what seems on the surface to be an incredible display of generosity is a nefarious plot to leave me broke, and moreover alienated from my family and few friends because I spent all my money and time on computer parts and video games instead of buying them any presents or spending any time with them.

Santa, if you're reading this, all I can ask is: what did I do to deserve being the target of your pernicious scheme? I really haven't been on this forum very long, comparatively, and I didn't think I had done anything to make enemies. I admit I was sort of a twit at times, back when I first registered and posted on SE++ for some reason...but I was new, and it was SE++, and I was just trying to fit in! Surely my conduct did not justify your hideous machinations.

Santa, you're a fucking monster.
    Hopefully it's obvious that the above is entirely tongue-in-cheek. It's true that when I opened up the package I was rather nonplussed. In fact, I was and am agog. This was like literally the very last thing I put on my wishlist, sort of on a whim and almost as an afterthought, it cost several times more than anything else on the list, and I never expected anybody would actually buy it for me. I did join this forum a little over a year ago, and this is my first time participating in any of the various Secret Santa permutations. Between this, the Steam thread gift-giving, etc., I continue to be astounded by the generosity of this community, and it is one that I am very proud to call my online "home," something I haven't really had for several years. Thank you, Santa, I am amazed and humbled. <3

Gaslight on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Still waiting on a steam friend approval, if you're reading, santee. :(

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Holy fuck 3DS

Nice!

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I'd accept that, even though it's not on my wish list.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    jesus fuck a 3ds? god damn

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Now it is your destiny to purchase MarioKart.

That's fucking awesome.

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Huh, I don't remembering order a package from Amazon. Well, I do. I remember ordering like 10 things, but those all arrived.

What is this?

Could it be a...

GiftGet.gif

The gif would suggest so, yes!
    IMG_0024.jpg
    A box, so small and unassuming. What treasures does it hold?
    IMG_0025.jpg
    ugh, fine. I'll look at the presents before I check the list of included items. I GUESS
    IMG_0026.jpg
    Intriguing! But what could it be...?
    IMG_0028.jpg
    sweeeeeeeeeeet! I'm all about some Hellboys, but I never get around to buying them myself, making Hellboy a special holiday visitor that arrives on a Secret Santa Sleigh!

but WAIT, there is more

no need to wait long, here is the next spoiler tag
    IMG_0027.jpg
    Mmmyeeesss?
    IMG_0029.jpg
    Oh man I have no idea what this is but the cover looks all kinds of intriguing. Also, it is a complete edition, which appeals to the inner future-subject-of-the-show-Hoarders in me!

This is all in addition to the Steamy gift of Witcher 2: Yet More Witching that I received within the last week.

In case anyone was making last minute adjustments to their census of rad dudes, make sure to change Arikado's status to "archdude".

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    The quality of gifting is at a high level as always :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Glad everything arrived a day earlier.

Also, I guess consoles aren't objects for us here in the G&T Secret Santa thread. :)

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    I was away all last week for some Thanksgiving merriment. Got back on Sunday, then baked up a batch of cookies to take the neighbors who had been gathering the mail as a thank you. Apparently the cookies were a good idea, because sure enough, when handed the pile 'o mail, what was on top but…
    nQL3I.gif

ej9ol.png
    Playing the role of helper is Summer Fun Cthulhu.

oMrej.png
    Pull tab indeed

UpmvJ.png
    SLUUUURP

zTHSw.png
    Well well well, what have we here?

cch8T.png
    GRAABLEARRRGLE

wP1wY.png
    Ooh! A note!
    Dear Mr Heist,
    Thankfully you posted that Page O Greed of yours, or I would have been completely lost! Looking at some of the games you asked for, I decided my theme was going to be "Games I absolutely loved that Mr Heist must play", the the two best games on your list were both near and dear to my heart…[SPOILERS REDACTED]

2h7Nt.png
    Mleh, see, it's LA Noire, see! I'll be playing this if I know what's good for me!

mynv3.png
    And jumping further back in time, Red Dead Redemption!

tVXUC.png
    AND HOLY CRAP THERE'S MORE! Points for both sides! And it just so happens I opened this bad boy the day Beyond Good and Evil HD was on sale!

6olF9.png
    The whole haul! Summer Fun Cthulhu was taken aback and Winter Fun Mr Heist is super-damn-pumped!

So here's to Cornell002, the best of the coolest, and the coolest of the best! I'll do my best to do your theme well and enjoy the hell outta them!

mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Dat facial hair.

So awesome.

Also the gift, but wow that hair rocks.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Gonna try and send out my gifts tomorrow. Work has been making it difficult to send out sooner. I swear santee, if you purchased the item I got for you, I'm gonna come to your house and throw giant chunks of coal at you

Out of love of course

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    Gift sent ... and it should be there tomorrow @anoffday!

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    Mr Heist wrote:
    I was away all last week for some Thanksgiving merriment. Got back on Sunday, then baked up a batch of cookies to take the neighbors who had been gathering the mail as a thank you. Apparently the cookies were a good idea, because sure enough, when handed the pile 'o mail, what was on top but…
    nQL3I.gif

ej9ol.png
    Playing the role of helper is Summer Fun Cthulhu.

oMrej.png
    Pull tab indeed

UpmvJ.png
    SLUUUURP

zTHSw.png
    Well well well, what have we here?

cch8T.png
    GRAABLEARRRGLE

wP1wY.png
    Ooh! A note!
    Dear Mr Heist,
    Thankfully you posted that Page O Greed of yours, or I would have been completely lost! Looking at some of the games you asked for, I decided my theme was going to be "Games I absolutely loved that Mr Heist must play", the the two best games on your list were both near and dear to my heart…[SPOILERS REDACTED]

2h7Nt.png
    Mleh, see, it's LA Noire, see! I'll be playing this if I know what's good for me!

mynv3.png
    And jumping further back in time, Red Dead Redemption!

tVXUC.png
    AND HOLY CRAP THERE'S MORE! Points for both sides! And it just so happens I opened this bad boy the day Beyond Good and Evil HD was on sale!

6olF9.png
    The whole haul! Summer Fun Cthulhu was taken aback and Winter Fun Mr Heist is super-damn-pumped!

So here's to Cornell002, the best of the coolest, and the coolest of the best! I'll do my best to do your theme well and enjoy the hell outta them!

Your facial hair is amazing. Glad you liked the gifts!

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I really wish Xbox Live worked more like Steam. I would love to gift my Santee XBLA games, but the only way to do that is to buy the code cards in-store or digital codes online, so you can't take advantage of sales.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Something came in the mail yesterday.
    th_IMG_0103.jpg
    What game could it be?

th_IMG_0108.jpg
    A controversial choice? It is appropriate as the sequel is coming next year, and I have yet to play this game or the original.

th_IMG_0118.jpg
    This is pretty awesome since there are some original Xbox games I want to play that aren't 100% backwards compatible or just flat out incompatible.

th_IMG_0122.jpg
    The Xbox is huge.

th_IMG_0130.jpg
    Fuck this controller. I only ever used it once at a kiosk back in '01/'02 and thought it was garbage back then. Guess what? I think it still is.

Santa, you've outdone yourself this year in terms of making me have the least amount of fun possible for playing your despised game.

Wait, wtf? Max Payne 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Really? So soon?! I'm psyched. :D

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Apparently Max Payne 2 isn't beloved around here. Huh.

• Options
    edited November 2011

Seriously. This blows my mind. I love Max Payne 1 and 2. love.

I don't even have a problem with the original Xbox controller. Many games were played, beaten, and enjoyed using that controller. I don't get you guys.

anoffday on
  • Options
    anoffday wrote:

PizzleStixx works in mysterious ways!

That and I don't live entirely too far from you lol

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    anoffday wrote:

PizzleStixx works in mysterious ways!

That and I don't live entirely too far from you lol

Awesome. :D I might have to sneak out of class early.

anoffday on
  • Options
    anoffday wrote:

I don't even have a problem with the original Xbox controller. Many games were played, beaten, and enjoyed using that controller. I don't get you guys.

I absolutely love MP 1 & 2, I'm tempted to buy it on Steam just to play with all the mods. I've never played another game with the atmosphere like it, I can't believe people don't like them.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    MP1 is amazing. I played it for the first time last year and it holds up nicely. MP2 seemed like it improved the gameplay, but I didn't really care for the story.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I've gotten part way through MP2. The story sort of jumps around a bit at the beginning (which I actually like) and the gameplay seems improved.

• Options
    first, amazing facial hair

second Max Payne 2, at least on the PC, was glorious

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote:
    Guess What Santee! Your gift is away!

Oh hell yes it is!

Apparently I was supposed to get this a while ago, but I was out of town. I was also not expecting a gift this early, which made it a nice surprise.

Hardtarget really knows what the deal is and hooked me the hell up: coolstuff173.jpg

He described the book as a book about cooking rather than a cookbook, and he is right. I've only read the first ten or so pages, but it's enthralling, and it's the perfect gift for me. Thank you so much.

Also, the joke book was there to qualify for free shipping, which may have been funnier than the book itself ;)

Thank you so much Hardtarget. You are a kick ass Secret Santa.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Yay Hardtarget! Alton Brown is the man!
    If you can find it, look up some episodes of his Food Network show Good Eats. It's a 'cooking' show, but you learn all about the science of why things have certain ingredients or are cooked a certain way. And he's funny, so it's awesome.

Secret santa is the best!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Anarchy wrote:
    First off, I must apologize to my Santa, these should have been posted immediately after I got them, feel free to get me some coal and add me to the naughty list!

In other news:
    nQL3I.gif
    458315612.jpg

A mysterious package from ThinkGeek arrives! But I didn't order anything!
    458315865.jpg

Diving inside reveals a heap of treasures; what could they all be!
    458318191.jpg

The whole ThinkGeek haul! Item by item:
    One of my favourite things, perpetual motion devices, and I got two of them!
    A spinning top that lasts for a week (That was the box labeled top secret) and the infamous drinking bird.
    A...*ahem*... Ladies of Star Wars pack of cards. I took a quick peek before taking that picture and man are they scrapping the bottom of the barrel with those. My friends at work got a kick out of those.
    Continuing with the Star Wars theme I also got a Hans Solo in frozen carbonite ice cube trays. Sweet!
    Two geeky utility tools. First up the Ultimate Geek Pen, featuring laser point, LED and UV light. The pen part actually works and magically, if you twist it the other way you get a stylus. Second I got the ScrewPop, a keyring that functions as a bottle opener and philips and flathead screwdriver.
    The Worlds Most diabolical take apart puzzle. I've had a brief play with this and it sure is tough, I've resisted the temptation to read the instruction yet though.
    Finally, a titanium spork, because who doesn't need one of those!

Thank you so much Santa! There was a twitter account in the note but I couldn't see your username here, please own up, who are you Santa?

Your welcome! You said you never got cool gadgets from thinkgeek so I thought I would send you some of my favorites. The ladies of star wars one was sent to me as a gag and I got a kick out of it.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Hardtarget wrote:
    Guess What Santee! Your gift is away!

Oh hell yes it is!

Apparently I was supposed to get this a while ago, but I was out of town. I was also not expecting a gift this early, which made it a nice surprise.

Hardtarget really knows what the deal is and hooked me the hell up: coolstuff173.jpg

He described the book as a book about cooking rather than a cookbook, and he is right. I've only read the first ten or so pages, but it's enthralling, and it's the perfect gift for me. Thank you so much.

Also, the joke book was there to qualify for free shipping, which may have been funnier than the book itself ;)

Thank you so much Hardtarget. You are a kick ass Secret Santa.

oh man I'm so happy you got it, it was delivered back on the 19th and I hadn't heard anything for a number of days now, I was super worried it got either
    a) sent to the wrong address
    b) stolen off of your porch by gnomes
    c) a combination of wrong address and gnomes

Glad you like it, I totally own version 1.0 of that same book and am super jealous of your new and improved version. Can't say I own that joke book though.... :\

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    I have received both parts of my gift now that I arrived back at my house. Unfortunately I will have to wait to post the pictures because I'm already up way too late, having been enjoying the gift for the past 5 hours. Draysoth did a great job though, and I will totally get the pictures up tomorrow.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    okay santa, i would also accept a 3ds. or two ipad 2s.

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Icemopper wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Schide wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Something came in the mail yesterday.
    th_IMG_0103.jpg
    What game could it be?

th_IMG_0108.jpg
    A controversial choice? It is appropriate as the sequel is coming next year, and I have yet to play this game or the original.

th_IMG_0118.jpg
    This is pretty awesome since there are some original Xbox games I want to play that aren't 100% backwards compatible or just flat out incompatible.

th_IMG_0122.jpg
    The Xbox is huge.

th_IMG_0130.jpg
    Fuck this controller. I only ever used it once at a kiosk back in '01/'02 and thought it was garbage back then. Guess what? I think it still is.

Santa, you've outdone yourself this year in terms of making me have the least amount of fun possible for playing your despised game.

So this is a running gag with you at this point, right?

It's a tradition, man.

How are you still up for this? You must have some incredible patience to do this each year. I mean, it is awesome, but I don't know if I could take the pressure!

Considering I've played a lot worse on my own year round since beating Sonic 2006, at least this has the payoff of having you guys bond/fight over the game sent to me. Also, I'm a Capricorn. 8-)
    anoffday wrote:

Max Payne 2 is alright so far. I have to say that the gameplay isn't as great now due to the fact that enemy spawns are bad, which leads to some trial and error. The gun play is definitely lacking, but that's not really fair since third person shooters have come a long way since the game's original release.

As for the controller, I guess I enjoy my controllers to be less than or equal to the size of a bear.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Your gift is taking longer than anticipated to assemble and dispatch, so please busy yourself with this crossword puzzle in the meantime.
    crosswordx.jpg
    Solve the puzzle as you normally would. The grey numbers can then be used to fill in the missing spaces below. Good luck!

Then there's 3 15 character codes, with all the numbers already included. Obviously I can't include THAT part.

Little did my Santa know that I've been playing Professor Layton today, so I managed to solve it already! Still trying to figure out what the codes are for though.

Wait....that's probably the reason she/he sent me a puzzle in the first place! AHHHHHHHH

Edit - STEAM CODES! Gift get incoming!

Turkey on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    GiftGet.gif

I entered the puzzle solution codes and I got:
    wBWwc.jpg
    4r4D4.jpg
    2wz8l.jpg

Thanks Santa! I've never heard of any of these games, but looking at them I think I won't have to worry about performance. And the timing with the adventure games is perfect, what with me finishing Professor Layton and the Last Specter just recently.

The first code in the image you sent me did not work. Did I get an answer wrong?

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I've just been reminded that my Santee has not received his whole gift yet. The physical, sure, that made it to him just fine, but the meta is still en route.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Good news, my parcel has shipped and according to UPS's site
    Scheduled Delivery: Friday, 12/02/2011, By End of Day

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    OK, I know this is in the wrong thread, but it made me laugh:
    My friend posted this on her fb page:
    i saw it and was like THAT'S THE SHIRLEY GAME, THE ONE WITH THE PORTALS, THE PORTAL SHIRLEY GAME OF PORTALS...PORTAL!tumblr_lml27kAm1a1qcshydo1_500.jpg

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."