As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fantasy Signups Now Open [BASKETBALL]

NiryaNirya Registered User regular
edited October 2013 in Social Entropy++
Basketball is back! You know, that sport where extremely tall people bounce a ball around and attempt to stuff it in a small hole.

The college season has been going on for a few weeks now, and we've already had a few upsets (UNLV over UNC, Long Beach State over Pitt, everyone over UCLA). The usual suspects are near the top of the rankings, including this guy, who I guess holds a record for most wins or something now. Who cares, he's still a jerk.

Duke_Mike_Krzyzewski.jpg

Most of the preseason tournaments are over, so enjoy the last few weeks of nonconference games before the conference season begins and everyone begins to talk about how strong the Big East is (see, because in basketball, the Big East is actually good).

Meanwhile, that little bump in the road known as the NBA lockout is finally over, as everyone decided they wanted to make some money. The season's going to be shortened a bit, and will be opening on Christmas Day, supposedly with the Celtics hosting the Knicks, NBA Champion Mavericks hosting the Heatles, and the greatest franchise ever Lakers hosting the Bulls. All of this is tentative, though.

Plus it means the return of NBA style champion Kevin Durant.

460935_G.jpg

Feel free to talk about your favorite team, your hatred of all things Duke, and in what hilarious way the Knicks will manage to lose this year.

D'ANTONI OUT IN NEW YORK! KNICKS ON ISIAH WATCH!

R7pVA.jpg
Maximum wrote: »
If anyone got an email invite, ignore it. Apparently Yahoo switched up their registration process and the only way to invite new people to a renewed league is by email and I'm not doing that.

So, we're starting over with...

The SE++ Tribute to David Stern

Let's aim high this year and get 8 people instead of 6.

Draft is tentatively set for 5pm PST on 10/19

Any suggestions, please let me know, and if that link doesn't work or you have problems joining don't blame me. Yahoo changed all their shit again this year and I'm tired of looking at their terrible new background.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
3DS: 2981-5304-3227
Nirya on

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Sweet! I was hoping somebody would make a new thread instead of continuing the one from last season.

Thanks!

PS. Go Lakers and Bruins! :P

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's Oklahoma City's year!

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I have the UCLA game on right now. Surprisingly, they are not losing to Pepperdine yet.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Kentucky is looking sharp this year. I'm smelling another national championship.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    fuck the big east and the ACC

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited November 2011
    Nirya wrote:
    I have the UCLA game on right now. Surprisingly, they are not losing to Pepperdine yet.
    I went to the season opener a few weeks ago against Loyola Marymount. It was so painful to watch and the Sports Arena is a terrible temporary home.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    missouri is dominating; their current rank of 13 feels low to me considering the fact that they just crushed the previously #18 team by 39 points and otherwise have won by large amounts in every game

i'm sorry i doubted you frank haith

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Well shit, didn't realize the old thread was locked.

If anyone wants to do the fantasy thing I'll put the league stuff here.

http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/nba/35702

League ID#: 35702
    League Name: SE ++ League of Bouncy Balls
    Password: SEplusplus

Have 5 so far, need another 5 or 7.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    My college team is MSU and my NBA team is the Pistons. Both teams are not expected to do much this year :(

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    fuck the big east and the ACC

fuck

you

geebs

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Sixers are going to be mediocre again this year but potentially entertaining. In other news, water is still wet!

Obama may have to call in Charlie Sheen and the Navy Seals to get our NBA players out of China.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvIwlAkWFAA.QBQfPgStj..8vLYF?slug=aw-wojnarowski_china_nba_players_112811

It’ll be a sad sad opening day without saint J.R. Smith

Gonna add the fantasy league info to the op.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Man how long do we have to have Joe Dumars as our GM? He has done very little good since the Pistons 2005 Championship season.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    If the Celtics trade Rondo I am going to be so irked. Why in the world would they do that? Yeah Chris Paul is awesome and all but this just seems wrong.

Duke got blown out by 20 today.

Today is a good day.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I fully expect the Knicks to look good enough to lure me into thoughts of a deep playoff run and then Dolan's new yes man Grunwald (an Isiah Thomas hire) will do something and the team will fall apart. I am expecting that something will include trading away at least one of the following: Landry Fields, Chauncey Billups, Toney Douglas. And I highly doubt that they will receive a true big or a good point in return for this.

As for the rest of the NBA, so long as the Heat fall on their faces again (and a team from the West wins the trophy) this shortened season will be a success.

Goose! on
    edited November 2011
    I have an insane hope that Jackson can lead my lowly Warriors to an 8th seed this season barring the inevitable season ending injury to either Monta or Curry.

Maximum on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    If the Celtics trade Rondo I am going to be so irked. Why in the world would they do that? Yeah Chris Paul is awesome and all but this just seems wrong.

Because the Celtics are dumb.

And I'm not just saying that because I am a slightly bitter Magic fan.

I am saying that because I am a slightly bitter Magic fan who really wants to believe the Celtics are dumb.

[IMG][/img]
  • RinderRinder Registered User regular
    Syracuse and Florida game should be fun to watch. Both teams have pretty good backcourts. I want to see Patric Young hulk out at least twice.

• simosimo Registered User regular
    rondo is one of my favorite athletes of all time, but if they can get chris paul (with an extension) i would be absolutely ecstatic

i don't think it'll happen though, unless doc and pierce can convince paul to sign here

the clippers can put together a better package for him i think, though i'm not sure he'd sign there either

bugss2.jpg
    i am so excited for this nba season, in part because of the juggernaut lineup tnt has put together

they have a bunch of videos up with shaq, charles, kenny, cwebb, etc. and they're great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xOvOnWLyRU&feature=related

bugss2.jpg
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2011

Cross-posting from Debate n Discourse's NBA thread:

To be fair, last season Rondo regressed pretty badly. Percentages down across the board, managed to get fouled even less than he normally does, etc etc. Kind of obvious they need a big man paired with him who isn't either clinically dead/a rotting corpse or a pussy. I guess Ainge thinks it's easier just getting either the perfect point guard (Paul) or the poor man's D-Rose (Westbrook).

In my opinion they'd probably be better off just shooting for Chandler or Nene but I have no clue if that's possible with the new CBA.

And I mean, without his headband Rondo is no longer the man Boston thought they knew and loved. Ship of Theseus and all that.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    it's not possible unless they can do a sign and trade with jeff green

they are kind of screwed by the new cba

with the new mid level exception rules, they can't even sign a guy to the mle because then they wouldn't be able to resign either baby or jeff green

rondo regressed statistically last year, but a lot of that regression came during his enormous funk after the perkins trade

now obviously it's not a good sign that a guy is potentially not mentally strong enough to deal his best friend getting traded, but (for celtics fans at least) it's preferable to the hypothesis that the regression is due to something on the court, and that he may continue to play at that level

bugss2.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    yessssssssssss now we get to see how much of a colossal letdown rubio is!!!!

I for one cannot wait for Jimmermania in Sacramento.

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Finally my Mavs get to hit the court as Champions!

EyQGd.jpg
    Cuban's smugface all season should be pretty great.

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    I would like Cubes to carry around a blinged up championship belt to all games this season ala Rasheed wallace

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    the kendrick perkins trade didn't really make sense to me either. basically everything the celtics are doing is stupefying to me. like, is russell fucking westbrook really going to be the magic elixir that fixes this team? he sure didn't get it done for durant in okc

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    simo wrote:
    rondo is one of my favorite athletes of all time, but if they can get chris paul (with an extension) i would be absolutely ecstatic

i don't think it'll happen though, unless doc and pierce can convince paul to sign here

the clippers can put together a better package for him i think, though i'm not sure he'd sign there either

I'm hoping Paul will at least consider the Pacers, as he's pretty good friends with Darren Collison (they have good on-court chemistry too), and the Pacers have a shit ton of cap space to play with.

Rondo would be an awesome possibility as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

In all likelihood, there'll probably be a three-way trade between the Hornets, the Celtics and the Clippers involving Paul, Rondo, and Gordon.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    Maximum wrote:
    I for one cannot wait for Jimmermania in Sacramento.

Oh my God, I totally forgot about Jimmer. The NBA's answer to Tim Tebow.

mrsatansig.png
    simo wrote:

I'm hoping Paul will at least consider the Pacers, as he's pretty good friends with Darren Collison (they have good on-court chemistry too), and the Pacers have a shit ton of cap space to play with.

Rondo would be an awesome possibility as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

i'm guessing any trade the pacers would make for a pg, whether it's with new orleans or boston, would have to at the very least be centered around collison and paul george

hibbert is a decent piece as well but he's a free agent after this season and so is less valuable

bugss2.jpg
    edited November 2011
    Collison and George fit in well with the team. George has a lot of potential, so I don't see them trading for a PG yet. The Pacers will probably focus their efforts on picking up Paul, Nene, or Millsap anyhow.

Who're the potential suitors for Rondo?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    well i'm not sure how reliable the rumors are at this point but i've heard new orleans, a 3-way trade with indiana and new orleans, and oklahoma city

maybe the clippers if they don't think they can get paul?

but i don't see how ainge can deal him without getting back either paul or westbrook

bugss2.jpg
    i agree that the pacers probably shouldn't try to make a trade

i like that team a lot and would like them even more if they were able to sign nene or gasol

bugss2.jpg
    edited November 2011
    I agree. Rondo isn't a good fit for them. He has a reputation for being a bit hot-headed, and with a young team like the Pacers, especially given the organization's recent history, that can really fuck things up. Also, they're not hurting for a PG, having both Hill and Collison now. They really need bigmen.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm in on the fantasy league. I love fantasy basketball, I won a league one year without watching a single NBA game.

I’ve never even done fantasy basketball before but I figured what the hell, it gives me a reason to watch some games this year.

The only time I could even bring myself to watch Warriors games over the last couple seasons were when the roster was ½ full of D-League players by the end of the year.

i'm the opposite, basketball is my favorite sport and i watch every celtics game and mostly every nationally televised game, but i've never been able to get much into fantasy basketball

partly i think because there are few players who come out of nowhere to have big seasons, so it's harder to find "steals", and partly because more than any other sport you have to keep on top of your roster pretty much every day

bugss2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.