As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old wow chat thread. go find the new one.

19495969798100»

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    So at what point in the rogue dagger legendary chain does the "collect X macguffins" start? I'm just curious how far along the chain goes before your guild has to decide, "OK, this rogue is going to be the one to get the legendary first."

I really can't wait to have rogues raping my poor resto druid in PvP with those daggers and an overpowered 25% wound poison.
    Jubal77 wrote:
    Just ran a LFR as DPS to see what it was about. Man those fights are easy but as a first experience it was what was expected. When people called to group up for adds on bouncy ball guy people still ran around like they were on fire. Only 5 or 6 of the dps broke off to kill the blobs on the next guy... yeah fun stuff.
    Yes, and this, folks, is why RF has to be tuned super easy.

So anyone who did Retard Finder yesterday, did you notice if the system actually seemed to stack the raid more with people from your server or if it just seemed totally random? I really hope it's the latter, but Blizzard's whole "the system will try to match up people from the same servers as much as possible" has me worried. I hope that works as well as the "gear matching" in random battlegrounds (i.e., it's something that Blizzard said to make people feel good but doesn't actually happen in reality).

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    forty wrote:
    So at what point in the rogue dagger legendary chain does the "collect X macguffins" start? I'm just curious how far along the chain goes before your guild has to decide, "OK, this rogue is going to be the one to get the legendary first."

I really can't wait to have rogues raping my poor resto druid in PvP with those daggers and an overpowered 25% wound poison.
    Jubal77 wrote:
    Just ran a LFR as DPS to see what it was about. Man those fights are easy but as a first experience it was what was expected. When people called to group up for adds on bouncy ball guy people still ran around like they were on fire. Only 5 or 6 of the dps broke off to kill the blobs on the next guy... yeah fun stuff.
    Yes, and this, folks, is why RF has to be tuned super easy.

So anyone who did Retard Finder yesterday, did you notice if the system actually seemed to stack the raid more with people from your server or if it just seemed totally random? I really hope it's the latter, but Blizzard's whole "the system will try to match up people from the same servers as much as possible" has me worried. I hope that works as well as the "gear matching" in random battlegrounds (i.e., it's something that Blizzard said to make people feel good but doesn't actually happen in reality).

It starts after you get the 397 set. So, every rogue can get a pair of really nice 397 weapons for 10k gold and a trip to the fourth boss in Dragon Soul. After that the collections start

edited November 2011
    Jubal77 wrote:
    Jubal77 wrote:

So did they relent on the setbonus for Raid Finder gear then. It still shows set bonuses on the LFR items.
    Relent? They always said the RF set items would work with the T13 set bonuses.

My problem is I'd really rather not drop my 391 heroic T12 pieces to 384 T13 for the set bonuses.
    Javen wrote:
    It starts after you get the 397 set. So, every rogue can get a pair of really nice 397 weapons for 10k gold and a trip to the fourth boss in Dragon Soul. After that the collections start
    Nice to know! Thanks. That's much better (for fucking rogues) than the Firelands legendary. Where it took weeks for one person at a time to be able to unlock an annoying boss that everyone had to sidetrack to and waste time on just to get a 378 staff that probably wasn't even better than what you had gotten as a boss drop by that point.

forty on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    and they still got the 9K gold fee on top of it. don't forget that forty.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular

Jubal77 wrote:

I was running at like 4am server time, but I was definitely the only person from my server in the group.

• sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    Damn that was fun tanking bosses 2-4. Gonna queue up and hope I get a fresh raid. Man I love this. I wanna go back and do old raids and as WOW gets older, more and more raids will be available in the raid finder. This is great:). I'm glad it isn't too hard, I don't like difficult content when I'm pugging.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    forty wrote:
    Jubal77 wrote:
    Jubal77 wrote:

So did they relent on the setbonus for Raid Finder gear then. It still shows set bonuses on the LFR items.
    Relent? They always said the RF set items would work with the T13 set bonuses.

My problem is I'd really rather not drop my 391 heroic T12 pieces to 384 T13 for the set bonuses.
    Javen wrote:
    Nice to know! Thanks. That's much better (for fucking rogues) than the Firelands legendary. Where it took weeks for one person at a time to be able to unlock an annoying boss that everyone had to sidetrack to and waste time on just to get a 378 staff that probably wasn't even better than what you had gotten as a boss drop by that point.

Hmm I thought I read they were going to make the items out of LFR not have set bonuses. Oh well it will help me get a dps set up quicker.

• ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    Eh? No. You only get to roll on boss loot for the first time you kill that boss in a week. It doesn't matter whether you won or even rolled on something in a previous kill. Once you kill a boss, he's worth nothing to you for the rest of the week. At least as Blizzard has stated it.

Some lucky people in my guild then, damn.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote:

My experience was actually pretty good. The orb guy was a clusterfuck but they made the fight so easy that most of the mechanics can largely be ignored there. The slimes one everyone pretty much went to the right slime, so we didn't have issues. It also died *really* close to reaching the boss though, so I can see how that might cause problems. I'm guessing the effects are fairly healable though so even if the group fucks up I bet it doesn't hurt *too* badly.

Also yes, Raid Finder sets can be combined with normal and heroic set pieces and you get the set bonuses. This was always the plan. It's actually very worthwhile to run LFR even on your main since I believe most of the gear, even if it's crappier than normal, is about equivalent to heroic Firelands. So not bad at all.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited November 2011
    Edit: Fucking double post. WTB delete option!!!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited November 2011
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Jubal77 wrote:

My experience was actually pretty good. The orb guy was a clusterfuck but they made the fight so easy that most of the mechanics can largely be ignored there. The slimes one everyone pretty much went to the right slime, so we didn't have issues. It also died *really* close to reaching the boss though, so I can see how that might cause problems. I'm guessing the effects are fairly healable though so even if the group fucks up I bet it doesn't hurt *too* badly.

Also yes, Raid Finder sets can be combined with normal and heroic set pieces and you get the set bonuses. This was always the plan. It's actually very worthwhile to run LFR even on your main since I believe most of the gear, even if it's crappier than normal, is about equivalent to heroic Firelands. So not bad at all.

Sweet I got the gauntlets drop but I am just going to use it to build a dps set. I dps moreso these days with the majority of the fights being single tank on 10mans.

Edit: The tanking gun you get off of Well quest looks friggen sweet.

Jubal77 on
    edited November 2011
    After missing out on the guild raid last night due to my computer's fucking horseshit, I ended up tanking a few heroics for VPs. At one point I got into a Grim Batol (ugh) in progress, with everyone staring at the first boss. I pull and it's clear no one but me has any idea what they should be doing in this fight.

The special add gets ignored and runs off after the healer (and eventually me) and ends up exploding on me and the boss. That happened with every single add spawn, of which there were about 4 due to the awfulness of the group. Nearly every charge and shockwave he did hit someone, since apparently moving 10 yards in 4 secons is extremely hard. When the boss died at the end, it was just me and the healer standing. Thank god for a.) me being overgeared, b.) 15% LotD buff, c.) the 4.3 DK buffs. I should have taken a screenshot of the deaths tab in Recount, because I've never seen a more pathetic kill. 5 deaths in one fight: 2 for the moonkin (the resto druid battle rezed him), 1 for each of the other DPS, and 1 for the healer (who was the first to die, actually). No, guys, the tank can't make the boss not charge you and one-shot you. You need to do something about that.

I stuck with the group since I didn't feel like dealing with waiting to requeue for another heroic. The DPS was as substandard as you would expect from the performance on the first boss, but I was pulling close to 20k on bosses thanks to LotD and my ~380 ilevel so I dragged us through. Throngus went well enough.

I hug the wall to skip the last caster/Ettin pull in the Throngus room. The others do the same. I notice the ret paladin was still back there as I pulled a lone patrolling mob from the next hallway. The lone mob does his bullshit disarm, and right at the same time I see we now have the skipped pull attacking us from behind. Good job, ret paladin (why is it always a ret paladin or a hunter?). The healer ended up getting gibbed before I could react, but thankfully I could battle rez him (Raise Ally). We survive that and move on.

It was clear from the amount/health of the trash that the bombing run before I got in went poorly (zero surprise here), but we slog through it. Valiona + Warlock, on the very FIRST fire elemental spawn, it targeted the healer, who was about 30 yards away. I CoI'd it and figured that would be enough for one of the tard DPS to kill it in time, but the healer had other plans. Did he just stand there and let the elemental come to him? No, that would have been too helpful. He literally moved straight in the direction of the beam, bum rushing the elemental and getting himself killed immediately. Thankfully the oomkin (somehow) had the presence of mind to battle rez him since my Raise Ally was still on cooldown due to the ret paladin's earlier ret-tardation. I end up CoI'ing every other elemental that spawned to help out the geese, but one of the DPS still managed to get killed by another one. The healer also died again to one when the dragon was down to about 10% health (I don't remember if it was in the same 'splosion that killed a DPS). Apparently as the tank it should have been my responsibility to kill every add (one targeted me but I just kept moving away until it eventually got killed). Thankfully I could keep myself up for the rest of the fight and we downed him.

For the last boss, I gave explicit instructions: stack on me (green marker) during the storm, and then when it ends KILL THE ADDS THAT SPAWN AT THE STAIRS (I used a purple ground marker in the hallway to show where they would spawn. Because I know they're going to be idiots, I end up going to DPS the adds each time they spawn anyway. Somehow every add spawn still ended up with at least one dude making it to the eggs and starting to hatch them. There were 3 or 4 add waves by the time the boss died, so there were quite a few whelps putting out a lot of damage on the group by the end. No, guys, the tank can't kill both the adds by himself.

When I looked at Recount at the end, I had done almost 600k damage to the adds. One of the DPS had done about 400k (good enough, I guess). One of the others did about 150k, while another barely touched them (it was like 10k or something, probably just some cleave). Fucking Christ people. I told you exactly what to do and when to do it. I think a flock of geese pecking at keyboards would actually be more effective at playing WoW than they were.

Again, my skill, experience, and overgearing were the only reason this group of failures made it through this dungeon. And this is why Blizzard has to make the Raid Finder difficulty so easy. This is why the new 5 man heroics are so "easy." THIS is what is playing their game.

forty on
    edited November 2011
    ToddJewell wrote:
    Eh? No. You only get to roll on boss loot for the first time you kill that boss in a week. It doesn't matter whether you won or even rolled on something in a previous kill. Once you kill a boss, he's worth nothing to you for the rest of the week. At least as Blizzard has stated it.

Some lucky people in my guild then, damn.
    They're probably the bad ones since the RNG was kind to them.
    Warlock82 wrote:
    It's 7 ilevels below heroic Firelands loot (I think the end boss drops might be the same ilevel), so they're definitely downgrades, but the set bonuses might make it a tough decision.

forty on
  • ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    They're probably the bad ones since the RNG was kind to them.

The bad ones won't run LFR, I'm sure of that.

• thenshewaslikethenshewaslike Registered User regular
    Probably depends on your guild's ability to kill bosses, and whether or not you are a priority to them or have little competition.

edited November 2011
    forty wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:
    It's 7 ilevels below heroic Firelands loot (I think the end boss drops might be the same ilevel), so they're definitely downgrades, but the set bonuses might make it a tough decision.

Eh, either way, a lot of it may be upgrades depending on how far your guild was actually progressed into heroics in Firelands (+ how lucky you were with drops/rolls). I know I don't have a ton of heroic stuff since I always had bad drops on the handful of bosses we downed in heroic (everything but Beth, Baelroc and Rag, though we only got domo just before everyone decided to be gone for Thanksgiving so I never even got to kill him on heroic :()

Warlock82 on
    edited November 2011
    LOL just hit beserk on yorashj...

Killed him on the next shot after they booted a mage and rogue who were below the tank in dmg done. Still 9 minutes of fight heh. still ended up being 2 min to the enrage.

Jubal77 on
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Warlock82 wrote:
    forty wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:

Eh, either way, a lot of it may be upgrades depending on how far your guild was actually progressed into heroics in Firelands (+ how lucky you were with drops/rolls). I know I don't have a ton of heroic stuff since I always had bad drops on the handful of bosses we downed in heroic (everything but Beth, Baelroc and Rag, though we only got domo just before everyone decided to be gone for Thanksgiving so I never even got to kill him on heroic :()

I have between 8 and 17 Heroic Kills on every boss in Firelands except Ragnaros, and my equipped iLvL is only 381. Even I have a bunch of upgrades I can get from LFR.

However, the DK Mage and Druid on my team can't use anything. LOL Vanquisher drops off every boss every fucking time for 17 weeks.

Edit: Just noticed on the Armory there is a slot for LFR on the Raid Info, and for Dragon Soul it only lists 6 bosses. You can't fight Deathwing in the LFR huh? I heard that only the first 3 bosses were up right now also, is that true?

Buddies on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Anyone have an opinion on what's the most fun to instance up right now? I've already got everything at 85 (except my druid, which is sitting at 74), I'm just looking for something to level with a friend. I'm thinking Paladin so I can tank or heal as the mood takes me, but I'm open to suggestions. Some things I leveled so long ago I have no clue what they're like as lowbies now.

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    Edit: Just noticed on the Armory there is a slot for LFR on the Raid Info, and for Dragon Soul it only lists 6 bosses. You can't fight Deathwing in the LFR huh? I heard that only the first 3 bosses were up right now also, is that true?

I don't know what's up with armory, but only the first LFR group, 4 bosses, is available right now. Nice of blizz to let us know what was going to happen... there has since been a post saying it's intended, and they'll make the second group available in a week or 2.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote:
    Anyone have an opinion on what's the most fun to instance up right now? I've already got everything at 85 (except my druid, which is sitting at 74), I'm just looking for something to level with a friend. I'm thinking Paladin so I can tank or heal as the mood takes me, but I'm open to suggestions. Some things I leveled so long ago I have no clue what they're like as lowbies now.

I'm biased towards Prot Warrior. Nothing is more fun than using Charge -> Intercept -> Intervene to fly around the instance. You have instant Queues. And you typically do the most Damage/DPS thanks to Blood and Thunder, Cleave Glyph and Shockwave.

Other things I've had fun with Instancing were my Hunter and Mage. Both of those classes I could Solo dungeons up and into Wrath Instances if my group was fucking awful or the Tank pulled too slow.

Buddies wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:
    forty wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:

I have between 8 and 17 Heroic Kills on every boss in Firelands except Ragnaros, and my equipped iLvL is only 381. Even I have a bunch of upgrades I can get from LFR.

However, the DK Mage and Druid on my team can't use anything. LOL Vanquisher drops off every boss every fucking time for 17 weeks.

It does for us too but we have fifty billion druids. I do have the pants though.

Also, not sure what you mean. LFR is split between two raids. First one is the first four bosses. Second one is Ultrawhatever and the three Deathwing phases. That should be 8 fights. But the second one is locked until next week.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    It's really really easy to qualify for LFR right now:

As far as I can tell, all the crafted blue pvp gear has been buffed from 333 or whatever to 377. I know for sure all the leatherworking ones have, and they're dirt cheap to make (10 heavy leathers+10 motes). It's not a new pattern to get or anything, just the old ones now create 377 gear.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    As someone who's more time-challenged (8-week old and 4-year old) than skill challenged, I wonder if I should cheese the gear check for LFR...(I'm currently at 364 equipped and 368 total). I suppose I'll try and actually get through the last 2 dungeons and see where I am after that.

And while I like having my DK back in his starter armor, I am annoyed that some tabards just do not look good with it. WTB tabard transmogrify or a hide option. Also, it does kinda stink that a mace can't transmog to the DK starter weapons.

• OscrethOscreth Registered User regular
    As someone who's more time-challenged (8-week old and 4-year old) than skill challenged, I wonder if I should cheese the gear check for LFR...(I'm currently at 364 equipped and 368 total). I suppose I'll try and actually get through the last 2 dungeons and see where I am after that.
    If you queue as dmg, no reason not to cheese LFR if you only need a couple pieces to make it. And with the 8-week and 4-year old, good luck.

Old man, family, works too hard, locked into a routine, but still plays with army men and video games.

If you want to play League of Legends, here is my refer a friend: So I get points
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Oscreth wrote:
    If you queue as dmg, no reason not to cheese LFR if you only need a couple pieces to make it. And with the 8-week and 4-year old, good luck.

Thanks. Got through End Time last night...group fell apart...requeued and got into Well, and then the little one woke up. :P

• DacDac Registered User regular
    The arbitrary restriction on level 60 PvP stuff that was never mentioned in the transmog articles up to this point is really, really irritating.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited November 2011
    Warlock82 wrote:
    forty wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there wouldn't still be upgrades in LFR for someone in heroic Firelands gear, just that the slots where you already have a 391 from HFL are most likely not going to be upgraded in RF Dragon Soul.

For example, I have the heroic T12 shoulders, gloves, and legs for my DPS set (could have had chest too, but I passed it to a mage in the hopes that heroic Majorhomo Faghelm would stop being a cocksucker and drop his chest), which is actually somewhat of a miracle since our raids became 60-70% Vanq classes. If I actually got the RF T13 in any of those slots, I'm not even sure if I'd bother with it to try to match T13 set bonuses since a.) I'd lose stats and b.) I'm not big on gemming/enchanting/reforging for sidegrades.

Edit: Oh new thread.

forty on