As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super[chat]

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Does anybody have institutional access to this paper

http://www.jstor.org/pss/27702313

I would like to confirm my suspicion that systems theory uses negative feedback as a buzzword rather than a mathematical concept

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    lud are you 350 yet

down from 450

I will be 350 by Christmas unless I hit a plateau

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Once in 2002 I had to stand in the aisle on a transatlantic flight. A giant fat couple took up all three seats - I literally could not sit in the seat without having this dude's fat draped all over me. The flight was full and there were no available jumpseats, so I basically leaned against doors and walked around the plane for maybe 10 hours. It was fucking hellish.

Continental refunded my flight and upgraded me to 1st class on the return trip though, so it was OK in the end. But holy crap was that horrible.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    My problem on a plane is that my shoulders are 16" across from blade to blade. I am taking your arm rest!

I am also reasonably broad

I like flying with my wife cause I can mooch off her space

I do not like sitting next to another large person

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote:

I would like to confirm my suspicion that systems theory uses negative feedback as a buzzword rather than a mathematical concept

Give me a few minutes and I can grab it for you

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    My problem on a plane is that my shoulders are 16" across from blade to blade. I am taking your arm rest!

I hate flying with gorillas.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    the longest set of flights I ever had was 27 hours, with layovers

yeah i had a ridiculous amount too

the worst is having like a 10 hour layover in a new city but you're on a tight budget and it isn't really worth it to go explore

fucking sucks

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular

I flew from Japan to LA to New York for my great-grandmother's funeral (which I didn't understand because it was in Spanish) and then had to do it in reverse.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Once in 2002 I had to stand in the aisle on a transatlantic flight. A giant fat couple took up all three seats - I literally could not sit in the seat without having this dude's fat draped all over me. The flight was full and there were no available jumpseats, so I basically leaned against doors and walked around the plane for maybe 10 hours. It was fucking hellish.

Continental refunded my flight and upgraded me to 1st class on the return trip though, so it was OK in the end. But holy crap was that horrible.

Is that even legal, to have a passenger standing the whole flight?

• Options

I've had an 18 hour transit with another 14 hours of combined flight time

surprisingly it was pretty good because all the sitting awake keeping an eye on my luggage ensured that I was fast asleep on the second leg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote:

I should.

Not loading for me right now, give me a sec.

• Options
    spool32 wrote:

o_O

how did this pass pre-flight cabin check

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    My school's JSTOR login isn't working.

• Options
    Mim wrote:

I flew from Japan to LA to New York for my great-grandmother's funeral (which I didn't understand because it was in Spanish) and then had to do it in reverse.

mine was southern italy to rome to london to nyc to seattle

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Ludious wrote:
    I'd have to be in a reasonable enough frame of mind to do that Thom. I'd have already freaked out and made some rash decision by then.

Lud, when your fear puts you at risk for cratering your life, then perhaps it's time to ponder professional help. I can understand a fear of flying. My fear of snakes is in that league. But my job doesn't put me at much risk of contact with snakes.
    I have a counselor. I've worked out a lot of stuff and issues, but I just don't see myself dealing with or overcoming the heights thing any time soon.

Heights is how I learned fear. When I think back it's literally the first thing I remember being afraid of. Before the boogeyman even

If it puts your job at risk, might be worth adding to the list. Even if you can get some techniques to keep it manageable enough to get drugged and on the flight then it's one less thing to worry about.

• Options
    thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:
    spool32 wrote:

o_O

how did this pass pre-flight cabin check

Nobody had the nerve to tell him he wouldn't fit in his seat?

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    ronya wrote:

surprisingly it was pretty good because all the sitting awake keeping an eye on my luggage ensured that I was fast asleep on the second leg

Last friday I had 2 hour flight, 18 hour transit, 7 hour flight, 4 hour wait, 7 hour flight.

I was feeling pretty disgusting by the end

Sparvy on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    i stopped being annoyed by flying when i became more casual about timeframes

i used to be so fucking paranoid about missing a flight and give domestic flights 2 hours of breathing room, internationals like 3-4 hours

now i don't

i show up like an hour before, if that

ain't never missed a flight

and the tsa stuff ain't so bad for me

i just wish philly's airport were closer

the military gave me great training in waiting

most of the training I received was waiting

so having to wait five hours for a connecting flight, no biggie*

*actually that wasn't bad at all, they serve beer at airports and you're allowed to drink in uniform as long as you don't get drunk

but really, yeah, an hour before will probably be fine

although you might want to think about how many other people will be flying

basically all year, except when I returned after summer leave along with the entire bloody army, I came into an airport practically devoid of people

but then one day, bam, out of nowhere, the place is fucking packed with people wanting to check in their luggage and I quickly realize that there is absolutely no way I am going to make the flight

but then a lady came and said "oh, military! Just walk past the line." And so we did. Felt great.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Sparvy wrote:
    ronya wrote:

Last friday I had 2 hour flight, 18 transit, 7 hour flight, 4 hour wait, 7 hour flight.

where the hell were you flying to

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Protip:
    --Next flight you take the window, book her the aisle.
    --Board early and make passive aggressive comments to each other constantly before someone takes the middle seat.
    --unless the flight is booked solid, that seat will be free at takeoff

• Options
    Huh, I don't seem to have access sorry ronya. I guess UIC doesn't have full access to JSTOR?

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Well, I watched that hotspring clip, about halfway, until they were in undies, closed youtube, closed firefox, went and got the bottle of morgan in the freezer, drank all of it, went outside, stopped a car in the street, dragged the driver out of the car and punched him to death, walked back into the house, burned all my clothing and I am back.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Is that a lot? Now you've got me trying to fucking measure this subtly at work
    Winky wrote:
    I hate flying with gorillas.

'cism

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:
    Sparvy wrote:
    ronya wrote:

Last friday I had 2 hour flight, 18 transit, 7 hour flight, 4 hour wait, 7 hour flight.

Bali -> Singapore (where I stayed 18 hours, did some shopping though so it wasn't that bad) -> Doha (Qatar) -> Stockholm

• Options
    Deebaser wrote:

Protip:
    --Board early and make passive aggressive comments to each other constantly before someone takes the middle seat.

what if this backfires and I don't get to mooch of her space because someone sits between us

or what if we get into an actual fight

this plan is riddled with flaws

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Well, I watched that hotspring clip, about halfway, until they were in undies, closed youtube, closed firefox, went and got the bottle of morgan in the freezer, drank all of it, went outside, stopped a car in the street, dragged the driver out of the car and punched him to death, walked back into the house, burned all my clothing and I am back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSRShnbiHYo

• Options
    thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    i_want_to.jpg

• Options
    a few weeks ago I got drunk with some friends and we were measuring our heights relative to our wingspans

• Options
    Deebaser wrote:

Protip:

i want to post that siri video

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:

Protip:

what if this backfires and I don't get to mooch of her space because someone sits between us

or what if we get into an actual fight

this plan is riddled with flaws

book three seats

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    a few weeks ago I got drunk with some friends and we were measuring our heights relative to our wingspans

Dick measuring contest eh?

• Options
    Winky wrote:
    Huh, I don't seem to have access sorry ronya. I guess UIC doesn't have full access to JSTOR?

yeah it seems hard to get

thanks for trying though

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:

Is that even legal, to have a passenger standing the whole flight?

No, and the flight attendants were pretty dickish about it at first, but I just walked one a bit down the aisle and pointed at the half-consumed seat with the giant guy flopped all over it, and the fact that it was solid flesh from him to the window, and they backed off.

I had to squeeze in for takeoff and landing, but that was it.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

See my limbs are incredibly short for my height (6' vs like 28# inseam or something) but my shoulders are pretty damn broad so I have no idea.

Using 8x11 paper I'm thinking like 20inch shoulder to shoulder but its less accurate than using centiSmoots

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    Longest flight I've done was Houston to Jakarta when I was a kid. I lucked out and ended up sitting next to a pretty awesome exchange student who was heading home after the stopover in Hawaii. The total trip was 20 something-ish hours.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    There is one airline, I think Southwest, where you can claim their person of size policy. You book two seats and unless they would have sold your seat, you don't pay. Not a bad deal for fatties!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Sparvy wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    Sparvy wrote:
    ronya wrote:

Bali -> Singapore (where I stayed 18 hours, did some shopping though so it wasn't that bad) -> Doha (Qatar) -> Stockholm

oh

yeah, that sucks. For Changi I think you can cheaply store your luggage and then have a nap somewhere, at least that's what I'd do. Doha airport is kinda old though.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote:

watched that last night, he's excellent.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.