As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me headphone good!

TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I bought a pair of Klipsch Image Ones off Amazon during black week after reading nothing but good things on Engadget. I know nothing of the specifics here, but apparently the jack that they have was designed with Apple products in mind? If I use them with my Samsung x8 Android phone, I get this really weird monotone sound where no vocals come out. This is solved by holding down the mic button (Which for the time being is taped down) but I'd like a more elegant solution. Can anyone elaborate on why this is happening or recommend an adapter or something to fix the issue?

Tav on

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    This should not occur. Either they're defective, or the headphone jack on your phone is seriously misbehaving. Have you tried other headphones on your phone, and have you tried the Image Ones on other audio devices?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    This should not occur. Either they're defective, or the headphone jack on your phone is seriously misbehaving. Have you tried other headphones on your phone, and have you tried the Image Ones on other audio devices?

They work perfectly with my laptop, desktop, and two different iPods while my phone works with the three pairs of Sennheisers (None of which have a mic on them) I have lying around here. The only time I'm having this problem is with this combination.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote:

They work perfectly with my laptop, desktop, and two different iPods while my phone works with the three pairs of Sennheisers (None of which have a mic on them) I have lying around here. The only time I'm having this problem is with this combination.

That's bizarre. I had a pair that worked fine on a Samsung Galaxy S Android phone. There's no reason it shouldn't work. I'd try to get the headphones replaced, just in case there's something funky going on with them. That's definitely a weird issue.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    This might sound dumb but make sure those fuckers are plugged all the way in. What you are experiencing sounds like classic not-in-all-the-way syndrome.

PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Gihgehls wrote:
    This might sound dumb but make sure those fuckers are plugged all the way in. What you are experiencing sounds like classic not-in-all-the-way syndrome.

Yeah, maybe they just require more force to be plugged into that device than others. I can't count how many times I've been like "what the hell is going on with my sound on this thing, why is it so quiet/why does it sound so messed up... oh, wait, not again, it's not in all the way."

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Some googling suggests that the cans are 4-pin rather than 3-pin (due to the mic, which would seem to make sense as to why holding down the mic button makes it work), which might not be compatible with older brands of audio device which came out before headphones with mics were a big deal.

Devices with 4-pin support. I figure this would mean that I'd need some type of adapter for 4->3 pins?