As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek is Our Business

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited February 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toG6aSQFF7Y

Star-Trek-The-Best-Of-Both-337296.jpg

playmates-riker.jpg

rixxg.jpg

From Spock's Brain to Yesterday's Enterprise, from the Prime Directive to Rokeg Blood Pie, this is where we talk about the most pointy-eared sci-fi franchise of them all. Engage.

rRwz9.gif
Tube on

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    To continue the Tuvok-as-a-human-terrorist-in-TNG discussion, for bonus irony Picard took him out with a Nerve Pinch. :P

Also a guy is selling already-built models of Defiant and Voyager on eBay for £10 each. I already got Reliant off this guy. Should I go for them?

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I am watching DS9

Garak is awesome

that is all

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

Also a guy is selling already-built models of Defiant and Voyager on eBay for £10 each. I already got Reliant off this guy. Should I go for them?

Is your Reliant any good? If so, then yes.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I just finished force of nature.

The ending conversation between Picard and LaForge might as well have gone
    "I love travelling and visting people I know and doing things but all this time driving my car is destroying our planet!"
    "Yes captain but there is still time to stop it; [turn to face camera] turn your lights off, take the bus!"

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    What is that screenshot on the bottom of the OP from

because i distinctly remember/recognize that game and recall it being awesome when i was a kid

reposig.jpg
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    To continue the Tuvok-as-a-human-terrorist-in-TNG discussion, for bonus irony Picard took him out with a Nerve Pinch. :P

What do they look like?

I dont know how I feel about a slight desire to own a Defiant model...

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Fandyien wrote:

because i distinctly remember/recognize that game and recall it being awesome when i was a kid

Star Trek 25th Anniversary (for the PC - there were multiple other games of that name for the NES, Game Boy and god knows what else)

And it was great, yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUeNhEI2Vdw

rRwz9.gif
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    True Story: They seriously considered killing off Will Riker in the Thomas Riker episode, promoting Data to first officer, putting Worf at Conn and making Thomas Riker the tactical officer for the better part of season seven.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    True Story: They seriously considered killing off Will Riker in the Thomas Riker episode, promoting Data to first officer, putting Worf at Conn and making Thomas Riker the tactical officer for the better part of season seven.

Where did you hear that? That would have been a pretty interesting move.

sig.gif
    edited December 2011
    Either Memory-Alpha or maybe season 7 DVD extras.

Nope, Star Trek Companion. Big encyclopedia like book.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually pretty surprised we haven't seen a modern Back to the Future / Sam and Max style adventure approach to Star Trek gaming yet. It seems like a perfect match for the material.

They could conceivably launch a new series with its own corner of continuity in that format. Quite a bit of potential for creative freedom, too.

Edit: I'm enough of a dork to have actually excited myself by this idea. So alright, you would only need to render the interior of that ship once. It becomes your principle set. You have a fully explorable ship at your disposal that you, as the developer, can put in various new situations, needing only to add new characters to visit said ship in addition to various away team locations per episode. Its frightening to consider how much money I would conceivably be willing to spend on a recurring, interactive Star Trek series.

Edd on
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Edd wrote:
    I'm actually pretty surprised we haven't seen a modern Back to the Future / Sam and Max style adventure approach to Star Trek gaming yet. It seems like a perfect match for the material.

They could conceivably launch a new series with its own corner of continuity in that format. Quite a bit of potential for creative freedom, too.

Edit: I'm enough of a dork to have actually excited myself by this idea. So alright, you would only need to render the interior of that ship once. It becomes your principle set. You have a fully explorable ship at your disposal that you, as the developer, can put in various new situations, needing only to add new characters to visit said ship in addition to various away team locations per episode. Its frightening to consider how much money I would conceivably be willing to spend on a recurring, interactive Star Trek series.

Whatever game company is reading this: Take all my money. Take it all now.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Edd, that is quite awesome and downright genius.

• EddEdd Registered User regular
    Edd, that is quite awesome and downright genius.

In addition to being not my IP and very much without copyright.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Fandyien wrote:

Star Trek 25th Anniversary (for the PC - there were multiple other games of that name for the NES, Game Boy and god knows what else)

And it was great, yeah.

My friend had that game, but we lost the book. The copy protection on it was, they'd send you to a certain star system, which you had to find using the star map and codes in the book. If you got it wrong you got jumped by like 3-4 klingons or romulans. So that basically all of the game I ever played. I did occasionally make it to the first planet, but never completed it.

steam_sig.png
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote:

Is your Reliant any good? If so, then yes.

Reliant

Defiant

Voyager

He also has a Runabout, a Cardassian Ship, a Maquis Fighter and a Kazon Warship, but I'm not interested in them.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Seeing those reminded me that I have a Galaxy class Enterprise that has light up nacelles and makes noises when you hit buttons. I wonder where I put it...

emp123 on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/C-eMilnSzvY

I love these videos and I think they should put Shatner in any future ventures into the Star Trek films.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Seeing those reminded me that I have a Galaxy class Enterprise that has light up nacelles and makes noises when you hit buttons. I wonder where I put it...

I HAD ONE OF THOSE!!!

Also, those models look really good. I would buy it if he would post to the US. :(

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • DredZedDredZed Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

I HAD ONE OF THOSE!!!

Also, those models look really good. I would buy it if he would post to the US. :(

I still have one of those stored at my parents house. Still had it on a shelf on display until I moved out. Also have the Deep Space Nine and original Enterprise ones. Oh, and a Borg sphere for some reason. I think I have a Next Generation shuttlecraft too, not sure where that one is. Those were major fun back in the day.

And that guy does a great job with those models, but personally, I love actually building those model kits myself, so I'd probably never go for that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    I'm watching enterprise and... I actually like it. I remembered liking it when I was a teen when it first came out, but figured I'd hate it now. That held true with voyager, but enterprise is surprisingly decent.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Fandyien wrote:

And it was great, yeah.

I keep putting this game and its sequel, Star Trek: Judgement Rights up as a recommended "next game" for GOG.com, but to no avail. I imagine it's Paramount's fault since they have other Interplay titles in their catalog.

Maquis fighter ships make no sense. The Maquis are supposed to be rebels, abandoned by the Federation and persecuted by the Cardassians to the point where, in desperation, they decided to take matters into their own hands... and they have mass-produced standardized ships? They should be flying whatever refitted civilian ships they can get their hands on. How many desperate rebel forces have access to spaceship yards and a disciplined labour force?

sig.gif
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Richy wrote:
    Maquis fighter ships make no sense. The Maquis are supposed to be rebels, abandoned by the Federation and persecuted by the Cardassians to the point where, in desperation, they decided to take matters into their own hands... and they have mass-produced standardized ships? They should be flying whatever refitted civilian ships they can get their hands on. How many desperate rebel forces have access to spaceship yards and a disciplined labour force?

xwings_fleet.jpg

For some reason we stopped thinking this was a ridiculous leap in the 1970s.

edit -- that picture looked about 75% less horrible when it was a thumb nail I pulled off of Google images.

SammyF on
    You know, one of the thousands of opportunities the prequels failed to take was to have the Independentists army use X-Wings and all these other ships. Then they could have said the Rebels equipped themselves from some abandoned Independentist weapon depot they found after the war. It would have explained how they got all this standardized equipment, and made their situation in the OT even more desperate since they are fighting the Emipre using the same weapons that a full professional army lost to the Republic with.

sig.gif
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    You know, one of the thousands of opportunities the prequels failed to take was to have the Independentists army use X-Wings and all these other ships. Then they could have said the Rebels equipped themselves from some abandoned Independentist weapon depot they found after the war. It would have explained how they got all this standardized equipment, and made their situation in the OT even more desperate since they are fighting the Emipre using the same weapons that a full professional army lost to the Republic with.

And that's why no one can bitch about the Star Trek reboot... it could have been so so so so so so much worse.

• areaarea Registered User regular
    Several of my friends had dinner with Patrick Stewart the other night.

I very rarely seethe, but man...

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    xwings_fleet
    For some reason we stopped thinking this was a ridiculous leap in the 1970s.
    edit -- that picture looked about 75% less horrible when it was a thumb nail I pulled off of Google images.

To be fair, the Nebulon B cruisers were stolen from the imperials or had crews that defected. The troop transports are run-down freighters, the corvettes actually are a civilian ship that have been upgraded with heavier armor and military grade weapons and the Mon Calamari battle ship is a refitted luxury cruise liner. The X-wings themselves are a new fighter produced by a team of recently defected designers. Given an adequate hanger facility it seems likely they'd be able to build them from parts.

The Maquis though, don't seem likely to have a crew of renegade ship designers hanging around. Though with industrial replicator technology it doesn't seem like it would be impossible for them to come up with a standardized ship design.

• SachetSachet Registered User regular
    The urge to create aesthetic differences to make it easier to distinguish who's who probably came before practical considerations.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I have been slowly going through TNG this year. I am amazed how many episodes I have never seen since as a kid my aunt used to tape all the episodes as they came out and I would catch glimpses if them.

One of the cute but not really cute episodes is The Outcast. As I was watching it I thought to myself that it was a novel idea they were taking and it had a sad ending. Then I was reading some Cracked last night and came across this article. This quote changed my mind on it though.

"The episode's message ends up completely garbled. Intended as a condemnation of homophobia, the episode instead comes off as the story of one woman's brave quest for cock in the face of lesbian tyranny."

steam_sig.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Eh, that's a pretty ridiculous interpretation. Especially since the only reason Riker wasn't making out with a dude is cause the producers chickened out.

They kinda pussied out on the outcast. A bunch of the cast and crew wanted it to be much more direct with their message.

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    So I saw the original movie yesterday (the new one is the only Star Treky thing I've ever seen). Was actually pretty good (sorry for the damning praise thread dedicated to the series). Defiantly want to look into the series a little further. Too bad the actual shows aren't on Netflix Canada.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    edited December 2011
    shryke wrote:
    Eh, that's a pretty ridiculous interpretation. Especially since the only reason Riker wasn't making out with a dude is cause the producers chickened out.

It's not a ridiculous interpretation, in fact it's not an interpretation at all, it's esentially what's shown on screen. They chickened out on making it an episode about homophobia. Instead it's this nonsense about a woman boldly going where countless women have gone before.

The same happened with their episode on suicide. Instead it became some crazy Troi dream and the morale is that if a woman who likes you catches you with another woman she's likely to become irrational and kill you and herself... So lock your door beforehand, I guess.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    shryke wrote:

It's not a ridiculous interpretation, in fact it's not an interpretation at all, it's esentially what's shown on screen. They chickened out on making it an episode about homophobia. Instead it's this nonsense about a woman boldly going where countless women have gone before.

Sure, if you are silly enough to ignore the fact that they aren't women but actually androgenous. The actors playing them are just women. But they are, you know, acting.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The maquis never struck me as having a vast force of standardized ships.

They have a few upgraded federation patrol craft - which they almost certainly had on the colonies to begin with to defend against pirates and whatnot (and simply refused to give up when the treaty was signed). They've been stealing federation weapons whenever they can and gluing them on to make them more effective.

override367 on
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote:
    So I saw the original movie yesterday (the new one is the only Star Treky thing I've ever seen). Was actually pretty good (sorry for the damning praise thread dedicated to the series). Defiantly want to look into the series a little further. Too bad the actual shows aren't on Netflix Canada.

Oh man.

Oh man.

You're going to be watching The Wrath of Kahn next. You're in for a treat.

Ah, to be able to watch that for the first time again.

Honestly if you like The Motion Picture you'll probably love Wrath of Khan as its about a hundred times better.

This discussion has been closed.