As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Universe Online] Now Free-to-Play! Lightning Strikes DLC now available, zappy zappy.

• Options
    batteryChickenbatteryChicken Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote:
    also, her eyes are UP HERE, you jerks
    Yeah, jerks!
    BeCYW.jpg

I'm so bored it's almost... interesting.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    A wild meme appears

• Options
    So the next power set they're releasing (NEXT WEEK!) is Electricity, and it's a power with a healer role. They did the Light power set with a controller role. I assume the next one will be a Tank power set... I wonder what it will be.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Joolander wrote:
    Yeah, jerks!
    BeCYW.jpg

All I think when I see those claws is

Clamps.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've tried a few strategies, but none are working against this mean bee. Is it just that my character is one level away from all that level 9 gear and I need to grind a bit?

MKR on
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    MKR wrote:
    I've tried a few strategies, but none are working against this mean bee. Is it just that my character is one level away from all that level 9 gear and I need to grind a bit?

The best way, in my opinion, to handle the three sets of missions that appear after your first mentor mission
    The HIVE missions, the Bane missions, and the Raven missions
    is too finish all of the regular missions up until the boss instance, and then go do the other two sets until you get to their bosses. Then you can go through all three bosses in a row. Each of the bosses can be rather annoying to fight if you are only at level 8, so doing some extra leveling (It's not really grinding since you'll have to do those missions anyway) helps greatly while not getting you too over leveled.

If you do want to fight through one mission set before doing the other two, then I'd recommend doing
    Raven
    first if you can, since I think that boss is the easier of the three, with
    Queen Bee being in the middle and Bane the hardest

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, boss quests that are at your level are quite hard to solo.
    Anyway... gratuitous self screenshots!
    First up, Afrobro, my original character.
    Original "Fresh-Out-Of-The-Creator" version on the left.
    Suped up version on the right. His mentor is Supes after all.
    jpp90.jpg
    And then, I made this alt because I wanted to use the name Batnun.
    bGjNh.jpg
    xlgpl.jpg

batteryChicken on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So I'm getting back into the game after a brief skyrim related hiatus. I still haven't joined any leagues/guilds. I enjoy both heroes and villains equally! What's the best fit for me?

• Options
    So I'm getting back into the game after a brief skyrim related hiatus. I still haven't joined any leagues/guilds. I enjoy both heroes and villains equally! What's the best fit for me?
    Err... make yourself a hero, then make his arch-nemesis. They will never ever meet, but you could play them closely, doing mirroring missions, as if one is always one step ahead of the other, or always avenging after the fact... Yeah. Best fit.

• Options
    FrederickDyversFrederickDyvers Registered User regular
    So, who should I contact about obtaining an invite to the hero side league? Got a 30 sorcery healer, Blue Celest, and a 30 green lantern controller, Berylia.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Err... make yourself a hero, then make his arch-nemesis. They will never ever meet, but you could play them closely, doing mirroring missions, as if one is always one step ahead of the other, or always avenging after the fact... Yeah. Best fit.

I meant for finding a league to join!

But yes...I have been doing this...

edit: I guess my question should be, is there a PA league? If so, heroes or villains, and if both, which one is more active? Because I want to play with people who also play.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    xyceres wrote:
    Cururu wrote:
    xyceres wrote:
    I seem to be having trouble actually finishing quests now that my fire tank is level 24 I just seem to die too much, might have something to do with my terribad dcuo skills mixed with my lack of willingness to find a group but has anyone else found it a lot harder to level past 20.

Which set of missions are you working on? I'm guessing either
    the Crime Bible or Aquaman?
    . Those quest groups are harder than they should be, in my opinion. The
    Aquaman
    missions in particular are annoying at the recommended level. When I level up additional hero alts I usually save that quest line until after I've finished one or both of the next set of quest lines. The nice thing about this method of leveling is that quest experience gain scales with your level, so you will technically get more experience for doing 'easier' quests.

Funny those two plus Sinestro are the ones I'm having trouble with. Sinestro is mainly his rifle killing me too quickly.
    Echo wrote:
    Joolander wrote:
    Yeah, jerks!
    BeCYW.jpg

All I think when I see those claws is

Clamps.jpg

There's this old comic book story about a mad scientist who attaches chainsaws to his hands to defeat the Marvel heroes.

Cackling invincibly in his laboratory, claiming that he can't be defeated, it works out great, until he has a bit of a case adapting to new circumstances. He reaches up to scratch an itch on his nose, and we get a silhouetted picture of the cause and effect chain.

What i'm saying is, I bet it's hard as hell to scratch your nose/wipe the bottom of your arse/eat spaghetti with those things. Must be a terrible mess.

Would make for an excellent "gotcha nose!" one liner on an arch-nemesis, though.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2011
    I am logging in now if anyone wants an invite to the PA league.

Edit: Once again, Beryl Flambeau in game.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This HQ was designed by someone who had no business designing a building for use by people. The #1 problem I have is ending up at a spot on the map on the wrong level. They could at least put a little number by the mark so you know which level it's on. Even better would be a little arrow telling you which vertical direction it's in from your present altitude.

The designer had to know this limitation. Without level indicators it would be better laid out like a mall with a few clear access points to levels and most things laid out linearly.

MKR on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    i've gotten used to the Watchtower now and can find my way around pretty well

but yeah i also thought it was pretty stupidly designed the first several trips

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2011
    The Hall of Doom or whatever it is called is just as bad, but a lot cooler.

The central room has a room underneath it, that you can only reach via the three wings.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I have a few questions.

Is that ultra-humanite encounter at the end of the volcano base alert supposed to be that fucking difficult? That was totally ridiculous.

What's a decent way to make some cash? Are there crafting skills or anything like that? Gathering? I am poor and my equipment is way out of date. :c (level 14)

Are there other servers? I see talk of other servers but I am not sure what that's about; when I started playing it just asked me whether I wanted to be on PVE or PVP.

And also, if I dabble into other weapon skills or into my flight abilities will I be at a significant disadvantage in the endgame? Is there some means to have these points refunded? I've only found refund stations for the power (fire, ice, etc) skill points to date.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Are there other servers? I see talk of other servers but I am not sure what that's about; when I started playing it just asked me whether I wanted to be on PVE or PVP.

And also, if I dabble into other weapon skills or into my flight abilities will I be at a significant disadvantage in the endgame? Is there some means to have these points refunded? I've only found refund stations for the power (fire, ice, etc) skill points to date.
    Servers:
    There are the mega servers now, access to these are dependant on which region you live in and which system you play on:
    US-PC PVE/PVP
    US-PS3 PVE/PVP

EU-PC PVE/PVP
    EU-PS3 PVE/PVP

I believe the pve/pvp servers are pretty much the same server, which you can 'phase' in and out of at Watchtower/Hall of Doom as you prefer.

Skill Points
    Going into other weapon skills is reccommended for end game, since delving into each tree can give you access to certain innate/permanent stat boosts, such as extra might, more crit chance, etc. This is a great link that shows you what weapons will boost which stats the most etc, so it's very handy.

I'm not sure if many of the flight skills are all that useful. I currently only have the one for fast flying so I can get around faster. I suppose the ones that give extra stun resistance would be worth getting if you can spare the skill points.

I think generally the way you'd set up your weapons at the end game (so play around with them now, since you can respec- see below), is to choose the weapon you're most comfortable using and get the combos you want out of that, then look into the other trees really just for the stat boosts.

The Watchtower/Hall of Doom have the stations for respeccing, which will refund both your Power and Skill points at the same time. However you will still start with the same power tree (you'd stay fire if you were fire) and you'd still start with your first weapon choice.

Hope that helps.

batteryChicken on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    I have a few questions.

Is that ultra-humanite encounter at the end of the volcano base alert supposed to be that fucking difficult? That was totally ridiculous.

What's a decent way to make some cash? Are there crafting skills or anything like that? Gathering? I am poor and my equipment is way out of date. :c (level 14)
    A well rounded team, and having people focus down the turrets when they're up, is essential for that fight, I find.

There's no real good way to make money, with no crafting or gathering skills. The best way to make money is generally just to beat up dudes and hope they drop equipment that you can use/sell. In other words, doing missions and alerts. That said, as far as PvE is concerned, there's not really much in the way of good gear to buy early on. I think I generally got most of mine from mission rewards.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The best way i've found to make money is just do instances.

Beat up dudes. Roll on gear. Sell the gear. Sell any collections/useful items on the market. And rake in the cash.

Also, collection can make you a shit-ton of money, if you can get your hands on the rarer collection items. Most of them go for around 1-5K a pop. However, the raid/rare ones tend to go for 10-30K, on account of how hard they are to get.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if many of the flight skills are all that useful. I currently only have the one for fast flying so I can get around faster. I suppose the ones that give extra stun resistance would be worth getting if you can spare the skill points.

You will most definitely want to get all of the innate movement skills as soon as you have the combos for your first weapon. The extra resistance is good, but the essential items that you must have are the skills that let you recover the energy you spend using your Breakout ability. Without those skills you are at a serious disadvantage and you will limit the effectiveness of any group that you are in since you will be reducing the power that you will have available to fulfill your roll. This makes the job of your group's controller harder, or, if you are the controller, everyone's job harder.

Cururu on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    yeah try a few million for rares. still need superboy plaque rubbing and oan disabler. if any of you get it you will be handsomely rewarded. names the rope.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Cururu wrote:

You will most definitely want to get all of the innate movement skills as soon as you have the combos for your first weapon. The extra resistance is good, but the essential items that you must have are the skills that let you recover the energy you spend using your Breakout ability. Without those skills you are at a serious disadvantage and you will limit the effectiveness of any group that you are in since you will be reducing the power that you will have available to fulfill your roll. This makes the job of your group's controller harder, or, if you are the controller, everyone's job harder.
    Oh yeah! I better start finding more easy feats to do ...

batteryChicken on
  • Options
    So, how does the escrow system work exactly?

• Options
    Claw ShrimpClaw Shrimp Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I think depending on whether you have a 'Free' or 'Premium' account, you're allowed to hold $1,500 or $2,000 at a time. Anything over that gets put into escrow, which can only be accessed by getting a Legendary account, if even for a month. That's how I think it works anyway. I could be totally off.

I'm not level 30 yet and can't buy any of the good armor, so I've just been holding my wealth in sodas or buying styles. Repairs still cost me $1 a piece, so I hit the limit pretty fast.

Also...

My character name is "Incredible Chicken".
    Oh, so you're Incredible Chicken, well excuuuuuse meeee.

Uh... sorry...
    Also, what can I do with cash besides Respecs and Cola?
    Well there's repairs too of course. I haven't found much use for cash otherwise since I'm not Legendary, so there's the cap of $1500 or $2000. You need a little bit of cash along with marks for the Tier gear, and you could try checking the Auction houses in Watchtower/Hall of Doom for some gear. Perhaps to collect styles and earn those feats. But unless you're Legendary you won't be able to buy much, unless people are selling things for <$1500 (or <$2000 if you're premium).
    I actually bought some Feet gear from the auction place for $800 or something, which I still use, because it gives me a lot of power. The gear was only lvl 22, and I eventually got the same pair of shoes as a drop somewhere, but yeah... try the Auctions. Though your mileage may vary.

EDIT: Oh you might as well buy all the gear from the Police Station/Night Club vendors, equip then sell them back, to collect the styles if you haven't already got them. You'll earn a couple feats that way. More feats you do, more skill points you'll get.

And Dizzen sez

"Repair your gear, buy gear (even tier stuff costs cash in addition to tokens), buy styles from vendors / machines at the Watchtower (I think in the War Room), buy skin styles from a vendor behind the Star Labs building on the southern end of the Tomorrow District in Metropolis (some cost as much as 1850). Er, buy things on the Auction House, though the majority of the things most folks would want tend to be over 2,000 cash. Oh, and some police stations have vendors that sells a consumable item that will teleport you to that police station, so there's also that, I guess."

So unless you plan on getting a month of 'Legendary' down the road, try to spend your cash. I think.

Claw Shrimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think depending on whether you have a 'Free' or 'Premium' account, you're allowed to hold $1,500 or $2,000 at a time. Anything over that gets put into escrow, which can only be accessed by getting a Legendary account, if even for a month. That's how I think it works anyway. I could be totally off.

I'm not level 30 yet and can't buy any of the good armor, so I've just been holding my wealth in sodas or buying styles. Repairs still cost me $1 a piece, so I hit the limit pretty fast.
    Claw has it exactly right.
    My bank's already full of Sodas... I'm not really able to do a $20 a month subscription to go legendary (that's how much it costs in Australia), and since GL powers don't really interest me, I'm waiting for the next DLC to finally become premium. Oh the extra inventory space will be greattttttt. Hurry up and Strike, Lightning!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    There's apparently something you can buy in the store that moves 10k from escrow into your actual accessible money, but at that point you might as well go Legendary. Not that much more you can do with 10k that you couldn't do with 1.5/2k.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Echo wrote:
    There's apparently something you can buy in the store that moves 10k from escrow into your actual accessible money, but at that point you might as well go Legendary. Not that much more you can do with 10k that you couldn't do with 1.5/2k.
    Odd they don't just offer one that does away with the cap completely.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Odd they don't just offer one that does away with the cap completely.

I'd pay $10 for that, probably.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    They have that in lotro and I thought far cheaper than 10$, if I remember right?

Edit: Not that a lot of these cash shop freemium games are trying to price specific items competitively against each other, just came to mind.

Astale on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Well the thing is LOTRO is the only one of the bunch that gates off content after a certain level, around... 20-30 or so? Mind you it is also the only game that allows you to earn their version of internet funbucks by just playing.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:

I've looked into those escrow purchases a bit, and the conclusion I've come to is this: they're really only good for a Premium player who's giving the Raiding scene a go.

Right now, my repairs (couple of pieces of T1, some ilvl 40 pieces, a few ilvl 34 pieces left) if I let it go almost to the breaking point are about $1k. I could see a night of raiding taking more than $2k easily, especially if you were actually learning the fights and not being carried.

IIRC, it's abut $4 for the 10k escrow cash purchase, and close to $10 for the 25k purchase. I'm not sure how quick you'd burn through 25k raiding (you'd need soda too) but if you could make it stretch a month, that's still cheaper than a Legendary.

• Options
    Arryn wrote:
    Echo wrote:

I've looked into those escrow purchases a bit, and the conclusion I've come to is this: they're really only good for a Premium player who's giving the Raiding scene a go.

Right now, my repairs (couple of pieces of T1, some ilvl 40 pieces, a few ilvl 34 pieces left) if I let it go almost to the breaking point are about $1k. I could see a night of raiding taking more than $2k easily, especially if you were actually learning the fights and not being carried.

IIRC, it's abut $4 for the 10k escrow cash purchase, and close to $10 for the 25k purchase. I'm not sure how quick you'd burn through 25k raiding (you'd need soda too) but if you could make it stretch a month, that's still cheaper than a Legendary.

Raids can be brutal on the repair costs. The first time I tried FoS 2 I spent about $15,000, and didn't even get past the bridge. I heard some people spent about $60,000 in all of their early attempts. As people learn tactics and get better gear then the need for repairs goes down, but if you don't have deep pockets I'd avoid the new raids early on.

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    does anyone know if critical healing bonuses apply to power regeneration?

or is vitalization the only stat that boosts power regen for a controller?

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Horseshoe wrote:
    does anyone know if critical healing bonuses apply to power regeneration?

or is vitalization the only stat that boosts power regen for a controller?
    Apparently not, so it's just vitalization.

Hey so is Lightning Strikes out for you guys yet? Anybody rolled a lightning character? I hope the DLC is actually available world wide today...

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Yeah I just made a lightning guy (PC).

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    where do you go to download it?

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I didn't do anything special. Just launched the game and went. But I'm subbed to the game and I guess my sub automatically gets me the lightning, so I'm not sure how it works if you're doing the f2p stuff.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Are many of you guys subscribers?

I'm not likely to go Legendary on this game, I'm buying the DLC though, but anyway, if you are a subber do you think there'd be any content in the game that you think a Premium player couldn't really do? The only possibly notable downside I see for a Premium vs Legendary is the cash cap. I've heard repairs for people learning the FOS runs costing tens of thousands of $$$, but I'm sure non-subbers have some amount of money saved in Cola form to cover that.

EDIT: Also DLC2 doesn't seem to be available in the Australian PS Store yet...It's already the 8th here! I don't suppose anyone knows when it might drop? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

batteryChicken on
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    It's nice that they lowered the DLC price, even if only marginally.

Anyone gotten high enough with the electric powers to give us a consensus on how they stack up?