As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go post in the new STEAM thread, plzkthnxbai

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Speaking of Dungeon Defenders, I got it when it was on sale a couple days ago, but it always fails to load. I get an error window that pops up that says "DunDefGame has failed to load." Any ideas? I'm running Win 7 and my computer is a beast strong enough to run Witcher 2 and Skyrim on max settings.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Have you redownloaded? Isn't there a repair installation option in Steam as well?

And has Steam taken a dump on itself this afternoon for any of you guys?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote:
    Speaking of Dungeon Defenders, I got it when it was on sale a couple days ago, but it always fails to load. I get an error window that pops up that says "DunDefGame has failed to load." Any ideas? I'm running Win 7 and my computer is a beast strong enough to run Witcher 2 and Skyrim on max settings.
    There was a flurry of 5 patches in the past week. You might want to try going into the Library, right click the game, select Properties, go to Local Files, and select Verify Game Cache Files (or something like that). That will reacquire files that were messed up due to the amount of patching.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    An unexpected byproduct of Steam's servers working poorly is that Steam Roulette is also working poorly, so I can't figure out which of my game bank to try out.

Oh well, back to Dredmor.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ipm5k/i_made_an_im_feeling_lucky_button_for_steam/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I...wha...I really hope my debit card isn't about to get charged for 3 ish copies of Orcs Must Die!

Despite telling me the purchase had failed during the hiccup, the store page and my library now say that I own it! Fun times.

edit: ANd now it says my purchase is pending. Anyone think Magicka will go on sale soon? Or should I grab it for a friend at 10 bucks?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    And has Steam taken a dump on itself this afternoon for any of you guys?

Seems to have just come back up... At least, for me.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Could someone create an auto-buy button, for when you're not sure what to buy from Steam?

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Orcs Must Die! is one of the very best games I've played in.. well... ever.

The game play is fantastic, with a high ceiling on personal skill and a huge amount of strategic depth. Best of all, the dialogue is hilarious. I really loved the main charachter and laughed out loud at a lot of his dialogue, something I almost never do in games.

At $5 for the game and its 2 DLC - I cannot possibly recommend this game enough.

I love how the Action/Tower Defense games have become so popular. Sanctum, Orcs, Dungeon Defenders, Trenched, etc. Still, it would be nice to see the Action RTS games make a comeback, such as Sacrifice and Battlezone. No, DotA and LoL do not count. I'm talking about building and army, and commanding an army and fighting alongside the army. AirMech looks promising.

In a true and just world we'd be inundated with Brutal Legend sequels and knockoffs.
    I would settle for a PC port.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    DaringDirk wrote:

Could someone create an auto-buy button, for when you're not sure what to buy from Steam?

3000 dollars worth of Trainworks DLC ahoy!

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Nappuccino wrote:
    DaringDirk wrote:

3000 dollars worth of Trainworks DLC ahoy!

Oh man, that'd be amazing.

"I didn't ask for this!" 8-)

Lord_Snot on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    Could I get a steam group invite? Steam name is Evangir.

PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    well i just got "classed" by Stryker. sniping me with Orcs must die and the associated DLC.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Anyone want to make the new thread, or shall I do so when it is time?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    My sister in law has finally heard my words and wishes to know the glory of Steam for Mac, she enjoyed Tropico and Arkham Asylum on easy, any advice for her?

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote:
    To offer a dissenting opinion, I found Dredmor to be far superior to Isaac. Dredmor is funnier, deeper, and runs better on older pcs.

That said, I'm not sure it's fair to compare them even though we've all been doing it - myself included. Other than having the random generation of a Roguelike, they really are very different games.

Boo. I was interested in grabbing Isaac during the sale, and NOW you're telling me I should want Dredmor MORE? I guess the question is, should I get both? I've... I've seen people be WRONG in this thread. To play it safe, I should prolly get both...

Edit: Wow, broken quote tag. D'oh!

Im not saying that you should want Dredmor more. Im saying you should go ahead and play Dredmor right now

• Options
    VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    An unexpected byproduct of Steam's servers working poorly is that Steam Roulette is also working poorly, so I can't figure out which of my game bank to try out.

Oh well, back to Dredmor.

What exactly is the problem with it? I'll try to take a look at it and see if I can boost loading at all.

I love seeing people using my site :) I'll look at the analytics every now and then, I get about 20-30 views a day on average, with huge spikes whenever someone posts about it. About a month ago someone reddit'd it, and my total views doubled in 24 hours.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    My sister in law has finally heard my words and wishes to know the glory of Steam for Mac, she enjoyed Tropico and Arkham Asylum on easy, any advice for her?

I see you've been playing Civ 5. Any chance she'd be into that? It's kind of like Tropico.

Also, you guys could totally play together then, and that's always fun.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Orcs Must Die is 5gb

I thought it was a Tower Defence game?

What the hell is in this game

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    @MTS is a gentleman and a scholar who has sent me Dungeon Defenders! I thank you, sir!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    Orcs Must Die! is one of the very best games I've played in.. well... ever.

The game play is fantastic, with a high ceiling on personal skill and a huge amount of strategic depth. Best of all, the dialogue is hilarious. I really loved the main charachter and laughed out loud at a lot of his dialogue, something I almost never do in games.

At $5 for the game and its 2 DLC - I cannot possibly recommend this game enough.

I love how the Action/Tower Defense games have become so popular. Sanctum, Orcs, Dungeon Defenders, Trenched, etc. Still, it would be nice to see the Action RTS games make a comeback, such as Sacrifice and Battlezone. No, DotA and LoL do not count. I'm talking about building and army, and commanding an army and fighting alongside the army. AirMech looks promising.

In a true and just world we'd be inundated with Brutal Legend sequels and knockoffs.
    I would settle for a PC port.

It's called Sacrifice :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAY3Dai7jNM&feature=related

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    BigDes wrote:
    Orcs Must Die is 5gb

Animation.

Lots and lots of animation.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    BigDes wrote:
    Orcs Must Die is 5gb

Lots and lots of orc textures.

And gibs.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Animation, Animation everywhere!

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, what I am getting from this thread is that Orcs Must Die is awesome.
    Two questions:
    1. How does it run on low spec machines? This laptop is not exactly a beast, and I suspect it will suffer if it has to render a massive load of moving critters (the Steam page doesn't seem to have a minimum requirements)
    2. Is it for me? I don't think I've actually played any tower defence. Picked up Sanctum, but never got around to it (maybe when I get back). In my mind I am imagining Dungeon Keeper, but prettier, and with streams of enemies. Would that be a valid comparison?

• Options
    There is a demo.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote:
    Two questions:
    1. How does it run on low spec machines? This laptop is not exactly a beast, and I suspect it will suffer if it has to render a massive load of moving critters (the Steam page doesn't seem to have a minimum requirements)
    2. Is it for me? I don't think I've actually played any tower defence. Picked up Sanctum, but never got around to it (maybe when I get back). In my mind I am imagining Dungeon Keeper, but prettier, and with streams of enemies. Would that be a valid comparison?

I would imagine it scales down decently, since it's an XBLA port and all, but I couldn't say for sure.

It's way more fun than Sanctum, in my opinion. It's a better balance of shooting and traps. The traps are VERY satisfying, and you can accomplish a good bit by shooting. Not a ton of useless traps, either. Plus, it has a great sense of humor.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    To be honest Sanctum was the first Tower Defence game (apart from PvZ) that I ever enjoyed

Finding out OMD plays like it but better pleases me

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I would imagine it scales down decently, since it's an XBLA port and all, but I couldn't say for sure.

It's way more fun than Sanctum, in my opinion. It's a better balance of shooting and traps. The traps are VERY satisfying, and you can accomplish a good bit by shooting. Not a ton of useless traps, either. Plus, it has a great sense of humor.
    It runs like ass for me though, so it doesn't run TERRIBLY well on less powerful systems.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you are by yourself, Orcs Must Die is probably the most fun of the Action/Tower Defense hybrids that seem to be the big thing nowadays. It lacks multiplayer, which is the only flaw. I find Dungeon Defenders to be more fun in a group of 4. Sanctum is more challenging for 4 players (especially because of the random waves), but I find it less fun than Dungeon Defenders. But all three are great.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DaringDirk wrote:
    To offer a dissenting opinion, I found Dredmor to be far superior to Isaac. Dredmor is funnier, deeper, and runs better on older pcs.

That said, I'm not sure it's fair to compare them even though we've all been doing it - myself included. Other than having the random generation of a Roguelike, they really are very different games.

Boo. I was interested in grabbing Isaac during the sale, and NOW you're telling me I should want Dredmor MORE? I guess the question is, should I get both? I've... I've seen people be WRONG in this thread. To play it safe, I should prolly get both...

Im not saying that you should want Dredmor more. Im saying you should go ahead and play Dredmor right now

You're such an ENABLER, @APODionysus. Thanks for the gift of Dredmor!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote:

I'll second that Dredmor is a great game, but it's really nothing like Isaac. Isaac is more of an action-based roguelike while Dredmor is an RPG "turned based" roguelike. The turns do happen behind the scenes, though.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    SniperGuy wrote:
    edit: ANd now it says my purchase is pending. Anyone think Magicka will go on sale soon? Or should I grab it for a friend at 10 bucks?

Magicka will almost certainly be on sale at some point this holiday season. I think its been on sale like 4 or 5 times this year already.

And just to confirm, there is a spot for both Dredmor and Isaac. Liking one does not mean you will like the other and liking one does not prevent you from liking the other.

Also I would like to defend a dungeon, but I'm really low level and probably terrible and I chose monk as my first class because buffing/debuffing=win. How do I not be terrible and how do I get folks to play with me?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote:
    Two questions:

I remember dungeon keeper more about controlling packs of monsters and conquering other dungeons, so I wouldn't say this is like DK. However, if your idea of DK was using combinations of traps to kill the invading heroes... then yes, this would be almost exactly like that.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    DunDef especially the tower defensey part is mostly secondary to just gibbing everything. OMD falls kinda in line with this as well, but you can actually lose. (Losing in DunDef is hard unless you're soloing.)

Sanctum seems to be, to me, the closest to actual 'tower defense' in that you have to actually play defensively and do a lot more planning.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAU wrote:
    CroakerBC wrote:
    Two questions:

I remember dungeon keeper more about controlling packs of monsters and conquering other dungeons, so I wouldn't say this is like DK. However, if your idea of DK was using combinations of traps to kill the invading heroes... then yes, this would be almost exactly like that.

Nothing like Dungeon Keeper. Not one bit.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    There is a demo.

Unfortunately, whilst Hilton staff were very understanding when I sucked down 4 gig of LA Noire on their wireless, I think they may be slightly less so if I do it again for demo purposes. I could probably stand the discussion if I bought it though, hence the initial query - and thanks guys, this is dead useful.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote:
    There is a demo.

Unfortunately, whilst Hilton staff were very understanding when I sucked down 4 gig of LA Noire on their wireless, I think they may be slightly less so if I do it again for demo purposes. I could probably stand the discussion if I bought it though, hence the initial query - and thanks guys, this is dead useful.
    That's why you need to convince one of your fellow hotel guests to download it, then copy the files over. Make a new friend and check the game out at the same time!

• Options
    If it makes a functional difference, OMD is more about laying traps like spike floors, tar pits, launching pads, arrow-shooting walls, etc and waiting for orcs to wander through your deathly corridors than building "towers." You don't do much routing of the orcs (until you get barricades, but their usefulness is limited for rerouting purposes), you just kind of boobytrap their chosen routes.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote:
    There is a demo.

Do hotels actually track bandwidth usage from their guests?

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Dang guys! I got double-classed today!
    Thanks to Witchalok and @Initiate Failure both for Orcs Must Die! I wasn't sure whether to pick it up (even with the ridonks low price), but my mind has been made for me.

I redeemed Witch's copy, so Initiate you have a spare copy to be gifted. :)

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636