As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Thread: Where’s my hog?!

• GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Kirby actually fights enemies.
    Peach too (in SMB2).
    So do the Ice Climbers.

Phoenix Wright doesn't physically fight.

Captain Falcon races.

Game and Watch is a two dimensional shim sham of the precursors to the NES era.

The fact that a person doesn't physically fight makes little sense in the bizzarro world of smash bros.
    But Falcon had a comic book and tv show. And Game and Watch di... I... retro!

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Reading this thread makes me glad that nobody on this forum is responsible for making this game, for serious.

For serious.

That being said, I find it necessary to contribute a myriad of equally pointless character wantings so that they can be the next debacle of this on-going circus.

Diddy Kong
    Toad or Birdo
    Poppy Bros Jr. or Waddle Dee or Sir Kibble
    Randi/Randy AKA the main character in Secret of Mana (since our sword bros might be takin' a hike)
    Kanden (From Hunters)
    Darbus (The goron chief, or a goron in general) or Prince Ralis (The Zora, or a Zora in general)
    Any hero from Dragon Quest (Who is unlocked on a weekend, thanks to a not-so-true urban myth regarding Dragon Quest games and their ability to be released during school time.)

Let's see here, I'll tell you who I think are likely out of these and why starting from the top

A good shot, he's in a lot of the recent sports titles and DK is the only real representative of his game
    Toad and Birdo are also very likely, but maybe less so given the representation of mario characters. I'd give the slight edge to toad to complete the SMB USA quartet.
    None too likely, especially given Metaknight's appearence.
    Not even close, the only likely square characters I could see would be Geno or Booster.
    Kanden, eh, not a terrible choice but I really doubt it
    Almost no chance for a goron. I'm predicting Link, Zelda (known), Sheik, Wind Waker Link, Gannondorf.
    Possibly

Also, I don't think anyone believes that Marth at the least isn't in this game. I fully expect Roy to be replaced by Ike, being the poster child of the last two Emblem games.

Other people I think have really good shots: Lucas/Claus from Mother 3, Sonic, Waluigi.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I still think the game needs more main characters from Nintendo games that haven't gotten representation in the game, especially since there is a lot that has happened since Melee. I mean, in Melee we got what new games:

Ice Climbers
    Game and Watch
    Fire Emblem

There is plenty of potential from Nintendo's own franchises that has been left untapped:

Pikmin
    Animal Crossing
    Advance Wars
    Punch Out

I can't think of any more games Nintendo has made recently that weren't using their main franchises and have actual characters (sorry Excite Truck). I guess there is still Wave Race and 1080, although I don't think any of them would make good characters.

I'm kind of sick of Mario and Zelda characters making up a majority of the roster.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Now that I have said it, I really hope Diddy is in the game, kind of ... pretty much.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think Marth and Roy will get dumped for other Fire Emblem characters that play pretty much identically to them.

Speed Racer on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think Marth and Roy will get dumped for other Fire Emblem characters that play pretty much identically to them.
    There are other FE characters? :P

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited June 2007

Roy yes, but Marth pretty much is the lynchpin in the series, as he starred in multiple games. The flag in the castle level being traced back to his game is further evidence to this.

Marth and Ike, final answer.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ike for one.

Heck, since they're dumping clones, it might be JUST Ike.

Maybe that Black Knight fellow.

Speed Racer on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know anything about Fire Emblem, but Ike looks pretty much exactly the same as Marth. I can't imagine they'll both be in.

Zek on
    edited June 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Fire Emblem, but Ike looks pretty much exactly the same as Marth. I can't imagine they'll both be in.
    Costume or palette swap character.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SNESSNES Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »
    I still think the game needs more main characters from Nintendo games that haven't gotten representation in the game, especially since there is a lot that has happened since Melee. I mean, in Melee we got what new games:

Ice Climbers
    Game and Watch
    Fire Emblem

There is plenty of potential from Nintendo's own franchises that has been left untapped:

Pikmin
    Animal Crossing
    Advance Wars
    Punch Out

I can't think of any more games Nintendo has made recently that weren't using their main franchises and have actual characters (sorry Excite Truck). I guess there is still Wave Race and 1080, although I don't think any of them would make good characters.

I'm kind of sick of Mario and Zelda characters making up a majority of the roster.
    Olimar just sort of standing back while various Pikmin run around hurting people would make for great amusement. I'm just not sure how it would work.

SNES on
    MP:H-2019-3115-7752
    MKDS Friend Code: 476-802-986-689
    AC:WW Friend Code:3823-1420-6253
    Pokemon Friend Code: 3222 2050 0417
    edited June 2007
    skeldare wrote: »
    Costume or palette swap character.

This is entirely possible. Heck, I am an advocate of palette swaps, being on the recording saying that I would do hideous things to people for a blond version of snake and an eye patched version of snake. Don't really need Solidus, but that would be an exceptable bonus as well.

The only thing I am really ruling out is Roy as an entirely seperate character. He was there to promote the relaunch of the series on the GBA and really no other reason. Far more popular lords have come around since then. Hector, Lyn, hell, even Eliwood are more popular than that stick in the mud.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I always thought it was stupid that they didn't really change costumes but just different colors.

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So this is awesome.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS GAME.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    So this is awesome.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS GAME.
    Hopefully it means we can get rid of analog stick jumping

Agem on
  • NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Easily one of if not the best updates yet.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
    edited June 2007
    Wow names for players.... interesting. But why are they using the cell phone typing. I hate that in PBR.You can enter individual names for each player.

Start by just entering a name.

various02_070628a-l.jpg

This time, enter it like you would on your cell phone!
    You can also use random names.

Once it’s entered, choose your name for your character on the character-selection screen before you begin fighting.

various02_070628b-l.jpg

The character-selection screen is still a secret!

This time, names are extremely important. That’s because we’ve included personalized button configurations.

We’ve made this game compatible with four different controllers:

various02_070628c.gif

You can change button configurations for each one for each registered name, and alter those configurations any way you like.

Assigning personal button configurations each time you fight would be a bit of a pain...but if you just choose your name from the list, BAM! You get to play with your preferred configuration! There’s no waiting!

We’re also considering allowing you to save your name to the memory in your Wii Remote so you can bring your settings with you to your friend’s house...

But if we can’t make that happen, I apologize.

Edited to include actual update.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited June 2007
    Ooh. First peek at the UI - seems like they're going for a white color scheme now, maybe it's customizable. Probably longer names, and not all caps anymore. Oh, and FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE BUTTON LAYOUTS. I want this game so much. Is that a blurred out character select in the second screen?

Zek on
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So wait. Is that pixelized part on the top the character select screen? I wonder if it's possible to see how many boxes there are...

Speculation time!

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
    edited June 2007
    I like the fact you can assign different control schemes to different player names/profiles.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited June 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    So wait. Is that pixelized part on the top the character select screen? I wonder if it's possible to see how many boxes there are...

Speculation time!

Even if you can, it's probably not the whole thing. It looks like the name select box scrolled up to cover it.

Zek on
    edited June 2007
    Guys I'm pretty sure the background isn't anything at all, he just stuck all the relevant stuff on top of nothing so he didn't reveal anything.

Speed Racer on
  • Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm actually surprised they don't just use Mii profiles or something... Make things simpler (and have a nice way to toss your Mii into the mix, as well).

Mr Peepers on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Guys I'm pretty sure the background isn't anything at all, he just stuck all the relevant stuff on top of nothing so he didn't reveal anything.

Quiet you.

pom.png

Come one, come all! Step right up and wildly speculate! Is it Sonic? That kinda looks like an 'S'. Nobody knows exactly what might be hidden in the PIXELS OF MYSTERY!

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Quiet you.

pom.png

Come one, come all! Step right up and wildly speculate! Is it Sonic? That kinda looks like an 'S'. Nobody knows exactly what might be hidden in the PIXELS OF MYSTERY!

That one on the end totally looks like an X.. MEGAMAN X CONFIRMED!!

and at the front? that is clearly a pair of titties. TOPLESS MODE CONFIRMED!!!

also I think thats a wang in the middle.. followed by a box. it can only mean one thing.. after all what do titties, a wang, a box, and an x have in common? CLEARLY IT IS OPTIMUS PRIME BECAUSE EVERYONE SHOWS THEIR TITTIES TO OPIMUS AND HE MAKES EVERYONE SPLOOGE THEIR PANTS AND HIS TRAILER ALSO LOOKS LIKE A BOX AND WHEN HE DIED HE WAS ALL LIKE X_X

Optimus totally confirmed...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think I see Master Chief and Jak.

Mr Peepers on
  • SamuraiRockSamuraiRock Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What about those of us with names longer than 4 letters aaargh

SamuraiRock on
  • iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    THE WHOLE THING IS A CLUE GUYS

Highly pixelated blotches can only mean one thing.

JILL OF THE JUNGLE CONFIRMED

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
    edited June 2007
    People have names that are less than 4 letters?

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited June 2007

You become Cris, Stev, and Frnk.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Gears of War with waggle confirmed.

Zxerol on
    edited June 2007

Jill Valentine confirmed?

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SamuraiRockSamuraiRock Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

You become Cris, Stev, and Frnk.

Mitc really doesn't roll off the tongue the same way Stev or Frnk does :cry:

Stev is kinda cool.

SamuraiRock on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'd like to point out, that if that pixelated part is text, it is probably in Japanese. All of the text is different in the Japanese versions of the images, but that part is identical between the Japanese and English versions.

mntorankusu on
    edited June 2007
    I think I figured out what it is. If you squint and look down at your LCD to get that slightly solarized effect, it's really obvious. Sorry CRT users.

pom.gif

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited June 2007
    I think it's pretty obviously character icons from the select screen. Why else would it be blurred out, with subtext about how the character selection screen is still secret?

Zek on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think I figured out what it is. If you squint and look down at your LCD to get that slightly solarized effect, it's really obvious. Sorry CRT users.

pom.gif

Dude, it's totally Megaman X.

yalborap on
    edited June 2007
    Dear god, I just made the critical mistake of checking Smash Boards to see what they were saying and I found this:
    button configureations!!! WTF

well cant wait to go to tournamntes and hear "the triger smash wiimote configureation is banned"

i seriously hope they dont run brawl in to the ground

Is there no limit to the stupid shit these guys will cry about?

Zek on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Dear god, I just made the critical mistake of checking Smash Boards to see what they were saying and I found this:

well cant wait to go to tournamntes and hear "the triger smash wiimote configureation is banned"

no, because I could honestly see tournaments having stupid rules like that.

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »

no, because I could honestly see tournaments having stupid rules like that.

Ssssh! Zip it. You don't want those people in here again, mucking up the thread again.

Xenogears of Bore on