As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New eyeglasses frames are making me miserable

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
This is probably just a case of buyer beware, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has any ideas. I recently got an eye exam and got new glasses. It's always a challenge for me to pick out frames, because my vision is very bad without prescription lenses, so it's really tough to see what they look like, examine the range of vision, etc. as everything just feels like a messy blur.

After getting my new glasses made and delivered, I tried them on. Aside from the problems adjusting to a new prescription that I always have, I realized that these glasses are far, far less wide than my old ones. I should have realized this when I initially tried them on, but didn't. I was busy trying to make sure they were tall enough, as that's where I've generally found the most variance. I feel like I have constant tunnel vision, and it makes me feel close to being physically ill. I asked the optometrist what their frame return policy was. For some reason I'd assumed all places like this have them, since anecdotally everywhere I've bought glasses before does. I was told that they would not accept any returns or exchanges for frames, they would only remake lenses if there was a problem with that.

To be honest, I am miserable with these glasses. I can't stand them. If I have to wear them for the next year or two, I will be completely unhappy about it. If I have to, I will probably just pay out of pocket to get new glasses, from a different place that allows exchanges. However, I'd like to avoid that. I've already contacted my vision insurance plan to see if they have any sort of return provision. Is there anything else I might try, like something from my credit card company or anything that might allow me to return or exchange these?

What is this I don't even.
Darkewolfe on

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I don't know about the credit card company (certainly try them, as well as your insurance.), but if you DO have to get new frames, and knowing how expensive they are, I recently had a good experience with warbyparker. It's all online, they do free shipping both ways of 5 try on frames for 5 days. Price of frames with prescription lenses, 95$. They are all of the thicker style, but if you find something you like, the construction thus far seems solid enough.

That said, I do hope it works out for you!

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Depending on how your glasses are, you may just get used to them. I was initially really unhappy with my last purchase (the lenses are short vertically so reading comfortably means I'm actually looking below the lense.

But after about a month or so, I got extremely used to the limitations of my current frames. I'll still be happy when I can snag some new ones on my insurance, but until then I can truck it out with these.

In other words, before doing something rash, give your new frames some time you might come around to them.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    its also sounds a bit like a lens/ fitting issue.

if its lower quality lenses than you have had before that could cause it. you say you have a high RX so if its a crap lens it will have more distortaions ect towards the edges. i have also come across people exprenceing this with high myopic rx's that then lens are to tight in the frame and causes warping and and effect like tunnel vision.

or if the frame is not fitting correctly possably too far away from your eyes. (closer then lens is the wider the field of view)

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    tip: have contacts in when shopping for glasses.

also, ask about high index lenses, and whether that's what they used. they have an effect that takes some getting used to when moving from "normal" index lenses

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    Could be an issue with your prescription.

If something doesn't feel "right" after a few days, something is up, and it's probably not the frames.

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Why are people bumping a H/A thread over a month old?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Deusfaux wrote:
    tip: have contacts in when shopping for glasses.

also, ask about high index lenses, and whether that's what they used. they have an effect that takes some getting used to when moving from "normal" index lenses

This is one of the things we're trying. (Not to continue the necro of my own thread, but...) My old glasses are high index, but not the maximum rating of high index? The new ones are the maximum rating, so they're going to try scaling it back.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    really sorry about the spelling

its doubtful that its the index. if you wheer whereing 1.6 and changed to 1.67 or 1.7 it wouldnt give you the problem you are experenceing. its far more likly a lens form issue. alot of 1.6 lenses are aspheric and that gives you less distortion than a spherical lens. so if they have changed you to a 1.7 lens that spherical that could cause it.

i still stand by my over glazing guess tho. coz the centers on minus lenses are thin. in high indes sometimes less than a mm. if its overglazed (thats lens is cut slightly to big for the frame and squeezed in) it warps the perfiferal vision.

also they could have done both overglazed and changed you to a spherical form. (you'd hate that)

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    also chances are these people will remake the lenses in 1.6 aspheric and get the glazing right. and you will go the rest of your life thinking that you are intollernt to high index lenses. when it was there crappy ordering or lab. and you will be put off of lenses that could have advantages to you.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    Why are people bumping a H/A thread over a month old?

I'm guessing that maybe a spambot revived it and was deleted, but not before people started posting in it again. The OP is back posting in it, so its probably all good.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    @Darkewolfe

I'm in the same boat. Terrible eyesight, and for me contacts aren't an option. I have a pretty bad prescription (-5.5ish in each eye) and generally pay $150-$250 for frames and lenses.

Go to an online site. I went to Goggles4U and they have a thousand frames. It's tough, because you can't really try them on. Even with my back-asswards prescription, high-index glass lenses, and super duper coatings, I paid $40 for a set of glasses. Just take the information from your eye exam (they gave you the prescription/PD right?) and plug it in to the website. Again, no real return policy if you don't like the frames, but as a lifetime eyeglass-wearer I can tell you this is how I'll do things from now on.

• Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    I don't know about the credit card company (certainly try them, as well as your insurance.), but if you DO have to get new frames, and knowing how expensive they are, I recently had a good experience with warbyparker. It's all online, they do free shipping both ways of 5 try on frames for 5 days. Price of frames with prescription lenses, 95$. They are all of the thicker style, but if you find something you like, the construction thus far seems solid enough.

As our friendly neighbourhood Turk so wisely suggests, if you do end up buying new frames, get the from Warby Parker. They have very wide frames (and the actual dimensions of their frames) right on the website, but if you aren't sure you can fire off an email to them and one of their friendly employees will email you back the next day and help guide you to the best frames for your face. I bought my current pair from them a little over a year ago and I still can't help but sing their praises every time they come up.

3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg