As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Miyamoto is retiring from his current position at Nintendo

Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and loveWill die without a homeRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Social Entropy++
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/miyamoto-interview/

miyamoto3.jpg
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. — The creator of Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda will step down from his current position at Nintendo but remain with the company to work on smaller, more personal projects, Wired.com has learned.

In an exclusive interview with Wired.com on Wednesday, the 59-year-old head of Nintendo’s game design department said that he will move away from supervising the development of massive games like this year’s Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Super Mario 3D Land, passing the torch to the younger designers in the company and working on projects that won’t take as long to complete.

“Inside our office, I’ve been recently declaring, ‘I’m going to retire, I’m going to retire,’” Miyamoto said through his interpreter. “I’m not saying that I’m going to retire from game development altogether. What I mean by retiring is, retiring from my current position.”

“What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself,” Miyamoto said. “Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers. Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small.”

Miyamoto said that he’s hoping to start work on a project in 2012, and hopefully show the game off publicly within the year.

“In other words, I’m not intending to start from things that require a five-year development time,” he said.

Miyamoto, whose creations propelled Nintendo to worldwide prominence beginning with 1981′s arcade game Donkey Kong and who is generally recognized as the world’s most influential and creative game designer, said he felt comfortable stepping away from supervising the Mario and Zelda games because his staff has done such a good job with this year’s critically acclaimed entries in both series.

“I’m saying this because I have a solid reaction from the existing teams,” he said. “I was able to nurture the developers inside Nintendo who were able to create something like this or something like that,” he said, gesturing to banners in the interview room in Nintendo’s office that showed the logos of Skyward Sword and Mario 3D Land.

The reason Miyamoto keeps telling the younger developers that he’s going to retire is to send the message that he won’t always be around for them to work with.

“The reason why I’m stressing that is that unless I say that I’m retiring, I cannot nurture the young developers,” he said. “After all, if I’m there in my position as it is, then there’s always kind of a relationship. And the young guys are always kind of in a situation where they have to listen to my ideas. But I need some people who are growing up much more than today.”

As for himself, Miyamoto seemed eager to get to work on his new ideas with a smaller, younger staff.

“Anyway, I’m interested in doing a variety of many other things,” he said with his usual cryptic smile.

Wired.com’s full interview with Miyamoto, including his thoughts on Skyward Sword, making Mario Kart 7 with a Western development team, 3-D gaming, cell phones and more on the future of games, will be published next week.

Discuss.

2dtr87s.png
SteamID: Baroque And Roll
Baroque And Roll on

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    God I hope he starts a new franchise

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Ohhh neat does that mean we're going to see more Nintendo releases that aren't the really huge titles? I think they'd make some really great smaller games

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Can't wait for pikmin 3 god damn

also bring back fzero

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    People give him credit for the work of a lot of other people together.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    This is great news

As brilliant as Miyamoto is, he won't be around forever, so Nintendo's gotta learn to live without him

And I'm really excited for whatever small games he puts out! Seems like a small team and a simple idea are all he needs to create something special

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I can only hope good things come from this

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    People give him credit for the work of a lot of other people together.

Yeah I'm also very curious to see how much of the later Zelda and Mario games was him and how much was other people's ideas

Whether he needs other people around to collaborate with, or if he's got a clear vision of exactly what he wants from start to finish

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote:
    This is great news

As brilliant as Miyamoto is, he won't be around forever, so Nintendo's gotta learn to live without him

And I'm really excited for whatever small games he puts out! Seems like a small team and a simple idea are all he needs to create something special

This. And it at least gives us a transitional period since he'll be working on other things. And I don't doubt that he'll provide occasional feedback to the rest of the company from time to time.

He's been a great dude for video games though.

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Thank God he's not sick. That would have been some shitty news.

Now get me a new Pikmin and an original Zelda on the 3DS.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    this is nice news

it's good to see him going out and doing what he wants

the man deserves it

• NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Good, that's a smart move. Nintendo is not the bastion of creativity it used to be.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I remember an interview around the time Mario Galaxy 1 came out where he said he was working on grooming his replacements on each of the projects he's involved with

so it looks like he finally did that!

NotYou wrote:
    Good, that's a smart move. Nintendo is not the bastion of creativity it used to be.

4mrVW.png

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Ohhh neat does that mean we're going to see more Nintendo releases that aren't the really huge titles? I think they'd make some really great smaller games

I imagine the kind of games he wants to make are stuff like wii music

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I remember an interview around the time Mario Galaxy 1 came out where he said he was working on grooming his replacements on each of the projects he's involved with

so it looks like he finally did that!

Nintendogs Salon edition confirmed.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I still love the pipe dream idea of Nintendo pulling out of the console business and just focusing all their effort on awesome games

They already make amazing stuff like Mario Galaxy, imagine if they had nothing else to do but work on those games

6F32U1X.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I did not dig Mario Galaxy.

It stressed me out.

2dtr87s.png
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    I did not dig Mario Galaxy.

It stressed me out.

Me either. I just straight up didn't enjoy playing it. Hard to explain why.

could it be

because you're a chump

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Honestly, there was just so much going on in every moment that it messed with my head.

It was a pretty game, and did some neat stuff

But playing it with the amount of shit going on all the time always just stressed me out.

2dtr87s.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    NotYou wrote:

4mrVW.png
    Anti it really isn't

the last major new franchise they made was Pikmin

CYpGAPn.png
    whatever man

Pikmin is awesome

6F32U1X.png
    all depends on how you define creativity

Blankzilla wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    NotYou wrote:

4mrVW.png
    Anti it really isn't

wii sports

which was insanely popular when it came out

Wii Sports is hardly a bastion of creativity

CYpGAPn.png
  • DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    I should really play mario galaxy again

dear thread: should I play galaxy 1 or 2?

digichuckarm2.png
    1 is p. good

2 is just about amazing

6F32U1X.png
    Bundled with every new Wii.

It kind of had to be popular.

2dtr87s.png
    2 it's way better

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    NotYou wrote:

4mrVW.png
    Anti it really isn't

That's game franchises.

Some would argue that a handheld video game console with the ability to play games in 3D is at least kinda creative.

• DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    I'm leaning towards 2 but then I start thinking about the bird levels and and I start shaking

digichuckarm2.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    2 was tons o' fun

tons

Having it on a handheld, sure

but 3D isn't really a new line of thought in the past few years

plus the fact that it took them up until recently to get the 3D working properly

CYpGAPn.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Think of them as one long game that just keeps getting better.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    I would honestly argue that 3D and motion control are total gimmicks, and I really dislike the tend of development that include those things.

Motion controls on the Wii are the dumbest things.

2dtr87s.png
    I'm leaning towards 2 but then I start thinking about the bird levels and and I start shaking

they're not that bad and if you're not worried about getting 100% you can more or less skip them

I would honestly argue that 3D and motion control are total gimmicks, and I really dislike the tend of development that include those things.

play skyward sword

your opinion on this matter has now changed congratulations!

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

I'm not gonna argue this at all. I was just pointing out that just because it's a gimmick, doesn't mean it's not creative.

don't have a wii, thankfully.

But of the relatively large amount of Wii games I played, the motion controls always felt totally tacked on.

I feel the same way about the Kinect.

Even if I think the technology on which the Kinect operates is cool as hell.

2dtr87s.png