As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Girl - The Show You Should Be Watching Or I Will Kill You

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Wow, fake teeth?

They try way too hard to find ways to make Zooey seem undesirable.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Pretty good episode. Everybody had something entertaining to do and Deschanel got to be kooky without being too much.

Jake Johnson kicking some ass as Nick again though. I'm surprised by this guy a little bit more each episode.

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    This show just makes me miss Pushing Daisies.

Damn you ABC. Damn you.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Halfhand wrote:
    My girlfriend and I are running with the theory that Zooey Deschanel is without a soul. She has creepy doll eyes, and it always seems like she's trying extra hard to be a human being.

I totally agree with this.

She's also kind of a poor man's Katy Perry now.

You're both insane. And so is your girlfriend. If anything, I'd characterize Zoey's eyes as doe-like. Doe-y, you might say. :)

All I know is she's so adorable that I have to sit down when I look at her.
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Emily shall always be the superior Deschanel sister, but there is a void that Traffic Light's cancellation left in my soul and maybe this will be the sitcom to plug it.

Agreeing with this.

Well, you've all certainly proved to me that her charm isn't as universal as I thought it was. Have you no ability to feel warmth in your heart? I'm just not getting you people.

Even if this is just a way for Fox to capitalize on her hypnotic cuteness, I could care less. They could have titled it 'Watch Zoey Deschanel Be Super-Adorable', and I'd totally be on board.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Wow, fake teeth?

Mission... failed.

I would not mind a girl putting in fake teeth like that to be funny at all.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Am I the only man in America that isn't attracted to her and doesn't get it. I mean, she's just too everything I hate about the place I live to like.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    Am I the only man in America that isn't attracted to her and doesn't get it. I mean, she's just too everything I hate about the place I live to like.

No, there are other people like you.

Other people who are entirely wrong.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

No, there are other people like you.

Other people who are entirely wrong.

If not being prototypical internet nerd who faps to Cotton ads is being wrong then I don't want to be right.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:

Yes, you are completely unique.

These scientists would like to do some experiments on you.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I can see how she would be, but she's just not really doing it for me either.

Second episode fixed most of the timing problems, but then, it didn't have anything at the start to get the run going like the pilot did and so that momentum I was talking about never really started. Also, Schmid makes everything awful and why was this not the character that left in one episode dear Lord rage maim kill everyone death soon they'll all see.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    It just feels bland and uninspired, and it still has the problem of trying too hard to make Zooey Deschanel look undesirable.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Wow, fake teeth?

Mission... failed.

I mean it's funny in TV world, but you'd really want your friend bouncing around acting like a dumb 10 year old at a wedding?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Wow, fake teeth?

Mission... failed.

I mean it's funny in TV world, but you'd really want your friend bouncing around acting like a dumb 10 year old at a wedding?

For people who don't already like her, that kind of behavior is mortifying. Do they just need to up the ante Michael Scott style?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Wow, fake teeth?

This is Zooey.

The only way they can make her undesirable to me is if they give her a foot long dong in between her legs. And, hell, I would probably let her slide that dong right up my ass cause this is Zooey we're talking about.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I miss coach.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    For people who don't already like her, that kind of behavior is mortifying. Do they just need to up the ante Michael Scott style?

I don't like The Office because the whole embarassment-comendy thing doesn't work for me, but my impression of the show from what I've seen is that it works because they play the horrific awkwardness completely straight and everyone in the show, to one extent or another, is awkward.

None of the guys in New Girl is anywhere near as weird as the girl and they frequently call her out on acting strangely. So instead of an office full of people being weird to one another you just have this one girl who acts like she's either really high all the time or has some sort of mental or social deficiency.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Casually Hardcore faps to her Cotton ads.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Don't even act like you don't find her sexy.

California_Gurls_Lyrics_Video_Katy_Perry_Snoop_Dogg.jpg
    Yes, that's actually Katy Perry, but they're twins and you didn't know it until you clicked this.

• Options
    Perhaps it's just my artistic training and eye for faces, but I recognized that as Katy Perry right away. Though I see the similarities. Still, Zoey is just cuter, plain and simple.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I like Zooey Deschanel. I like how she goes around singing things instead of saying them, because most people I know also do that and it is usually funny. Also She and Him is a pretty good band. This show is about as average as a sitcom can get, but my wife and I still like it. It seems to always have a couple of moments that make us laugh in each episode, and the in between stuff is okay.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I like this show for the same reason I like Raising Hope and Parks & Rec. It's a bunch of decent people trying to be decent people when it would be a lot easier to just be terrible.

Except Schmidt.

Schmidt sucks.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    zooey_deschanel.jpg

Zoey/Katy--in that order.

It's close, but the jaw/lower lip give it away.

Katy also has sharper cheek bones.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    wait, which is which?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:

I don't like The Office because the whole embarassment-comendy thing doesn't work for me, but my impression of the show from what I've seen is that it works because they play the horrific awkwardness completely straight and everyone in the show, to one extent or another, is awkward.

None of the guys in New Girl is anywhere near as weird as the girl and they frequently call her out on acting strangely. So instead of an office full of people being weird to one another you just have this one girl who acts like she's either really high all the time or has some sort of mental or social deficiency.

Schmitt isn't "weird," but he definitely has the kind of big sitcom personality that could work alongside Zooey's character. Coach did too, but he isn't around anymore.

Coach's replacement, the guy who only talks about his ex, and the model best friend are too normal and bland for the show, though.

• Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    zooey_deschanel.jpg

Zoey/Katy--in that order.

It's close, but the jaw/lower lip give it away.

Katy also has sharper cheek bones.

So they grow these in a lab now? I guess it's cheaper than scouting for that kind of thing.

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So i guess this show was gone for a while and then came back, but I've been letting it stack up in my Hulu queue so I didn't notice. I just caught up through the Thanksgiving episode which was actually a really funny episode and easily the best of the show so far.

Are you guys still watching?

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I've been watching it when I remember, haven't seen the Thanksgiving episode yet.

It's not bad (I'm not one of those people who hates zooey deschenel), but I can't shake the feeling that it could be better than it's letting itself be. Every once in a while there's a bit of excellent writing or comedy timing, and noticing those parts makes the rest of it seem a bit like filler or appeals to broader audiences. Which I guess isn't exactly surprising. It's fun enough to keep me watching, but so far it's not something I'd recommend to other people without provocation, like I do for Community or Archer or Arrested Development.

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    That's pretty much how I felt about every episode except the Thanksgiving one. I was like "eh I guess I'll keep watching since Zooey Deschanel is so nice to look at" but even the wedding episode was pretty good and with the latest one I'm actually excited for more. Don't know if they'll be able to roll out episodes that good consistently, but I hope they do.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    devCharles wrote:
    It just feels bland and uninspired, and it still has the problem of trying too hard to make Zooey Deschanel look undesirable.

They should twist it. Instead of "quirky" being the reason things don't work out they should shoot for the romantic comedy type of confusions and then take that shit to the next level. Like that Happy Endings episode where Penny dates a guy named Hitler. In fact, they should totally just do the same thing as for Penny in all her stuff.

• Options
    I want a gif of the turkey in the dryer.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I really enjoy this show, but I enjoy the attempted douchiness of Schmitt. He's clearly a nerd and trying so hard not to be. If they have Jess date any of the roommates I'm going to be disappointed. That definitely shouldn't happen.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote:
    I really enjoy this show, but I enjoy the attempted douchiness of Schmitt. He's clearly a nerd and trying so hard not to be. If they have Jess date any of the roommates I'm going to be disappointed. That definitely shouldn't happen.

He's the guy that decided that being a nice guy wouldn't get him laid so decided to try to be a bro, but is really really bad at it.

I imagine that in the future they will show pictures of him when he was in HS and he will be fat, with glasses and pimples.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I really liked Schmitt as an OCD cook and the supermodel girlfriend getting all hot and bothered about it.

The Schmitt that they are showing now does make the original seem like an act.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote:
    I want a gif of the turkey in the dryer.

tumblr_luwydaORF31qj56zwo5_250.gif

Not perfect, but close.

• Options
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Magell wrote:

He's the guy that decided that being a nice guy wouldn't get him laid so decided to try to be a bro, but is really really bad at it.

I imagine that in the future they will show pictures of him when he was in HS and he will be fat, with glasses and pimples.

I think I like him best because that's exactly what I would turn into if I tried to be a bro as well. Plus I enjoyed him as Leo in Veronica Mars.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Magell wrote:

In like the third episode it's mentioned that he used to be Fat Schmidt. So apparently yeah, he used to be the geeky kid.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    So, strangely enough, Zooey is easily the worst character on this show. The 3 guys are actually pretty funny(although the replacement black guy really has no chemistry with the others, but Im glad Happy Endings was able to keep going so Wayans could get back on it).
    The douchebag jar was a pretty funny bit. I wanted to dislike this show, even though I like Zooey. She just overdoes it on this show, neds to tone it down.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I love the show. It's been hilarious from day 1. The thing that really helps is that despite the fact that excepting a few jokes (i.e. the ribbon rosette gag, Smeagol lives in a cave) Jess is all awkward humour (and pretty unremarkable at that) we actually see reasonably appropriate reactions to her awkwardness.

The guys cringe so we don't have to, and then produce a sick burn.

• Options
    StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    Still killing it.

• Options
    I think the newest episode was too focused on the Jess storyline and the Schmidt part definitely could have used some more stuff especially something from him after the two guys saw the girl leaving his room.