As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That's BULLSHIT.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote:
    Tam wrote: »
    apropos of nothing, I think Ratchet and Clank, i.e. the first game in the series has the best narrative

the later games improve on the mechanics, and that's really what's important, but the narrative is pretty thin after on PS2
    full disclosure: I have not played any of the PS3 games

Yeah, the first one probably had the best story.

But my favorite (story wise) is still Up Your Arsenal because Dr. Nefarious is so good.

yeah see my problem with Nefarious was that I just don't like "silly blundering mastermind"

Whereas Drek, while a typical "menacing plutocratic corporate bastard", was executed in a pretty compelling way, I thought
    the voice was fucking perfect

uh but yeah, Ratchet basically just shifts to a slightly different kind of soldier each time after the first game
    I guess personalities just stabilize after a while, but compared to the first game, there was hardly any character development at all in the sequels

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    Butters wrote: »
    Goonies hate has become a thing now?

Wow that's pretty sad.

I saw it when I wasn't a kid, maybe that matters? All of the faux commotion and yelling is just really annoying. Short Round is annoying. The fat kid is annoying. Half of the movie is the group trying to create a sense of chaos and it's really hammy and dumb.

this isn't even a bad opinion, you need to see a doctor

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson were about the only two good things about that movie

but their storyline made me sad

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One of the things I loved about MMX is how the the bosses would actually be affected in different ways when hit with the weapon they were weak against. It didn't just take off more damage, it actually did stuff.

Like how Chill Penguin actually caught on fire, Spark Mandrill actually froze, etc.

BLM - ACAB
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Langly wrote:

Wow that's pretty sad.

I saw it when I wasn't a kid, maybe that matters? All of the faux commotion and yelling is just really annoying. Short Round is annoying. The fat kid is annoying. Half of the movie is the group trying to create a sense of chaos and it's really hammy and dumb.

he's also annoying in indiana jones and the temple of doom!

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    JoeUser wrote:
    Best Christmas Carol: Scrooged

WRONG
    Muppet Christmas Carol

NO. BOTH OF YOU ARE WRONG.

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol

• TamTam Registered User regular
    speaking of
    Secret of Mana
    I can't think of a single game that had mechanics like that before
    granted, after you get magic, the Dude is basically useless in boss battles

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I never understood the love for the Goonies, it's just kind of a mediocre 80s movie. I put it about on par with Little Monsters

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    Many 80s movies - BTTF, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Die Hard, any teenage/high school drama, etc etc I didn't see until I was at least 16, in many cases not until my mid-twenties

so no nostalgic value attached

it is good to see how many are legitimately good movies

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote:
    One of the things I loved about MMX is how the the bosses would actually be affected in different ways when hit with the weapon they were weak against. It didn't just take off more damage, it actually did stuff.

Like how Chill Penguin actually caught on fire, Spark Mandrill actually froze, etc.

the boomerang cutter also does some cool stuff

you can cut off:
    flame mammoth's trunk
    launch octopus' tentacles

and it knocks sting chameleon off the walls/ceiling

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The original Star Wars and Indiana Jones films I think are legitimately good movies

Though I will admit I first saw Star Wars as a kid and it blew me away then

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    Mysst wrote: »
    Langly wrote:

Wow that's pretty sad.

he's also annoying in indiana jones and the temple of doom!

you know, it's funny, indiana jones in the first movie is completely incompetent

literally fails at every turn

if had never even gotten involved, the nazis would have dug up the ark, opened it, everyone dies, the end

but he's much more proactive and effective in the second movie

yet this is the one nobody likes

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    JoeUser wrote:

WRONG
    Muppet Christmas Carol

NO. BOTH OF YOU ARE WRONG.

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol

Pity!
    Pity for this poor, deranged man

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2011
    Shorty wrote:
    the boomerang cutter also does some cool stuff

you can cut off:
    flame mammoth's trunk
    launch octopus' tentacles

I did not know this.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    yeah

the effect on flame mammoth is pretty negligible since he almost never uses his oil attack anyway, and the best possible strategy to beat him renders it irrelevant even when he does (that is, stay on the wall in the corner that the conveyer belt is moving AWAY from-it is impossible for him to hit you. drop down and shoot him in the ears with storm eagle's weapon right after he jumps and it'll hit him twice. do this well and not only will you never take a single hit, but you'll beat him in the most efficient time possible)

but it's extremely useful on launch octopus, as it keeps him from using those damn homing fish and his whirlpool attack

for the record, the rolling shield, which you're supposed to use on launch octopus, is worse than the buster since one missile destroys it and it can't be rapid-fired

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

I don't think I've ever seen that.

and I honestly can't imagine why.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Shorty, are you a MMX wizard

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    yeah

it was one of the only SNES games I owned when I was growing up so I played the ever-loving fuck out of it

this is why I can beat sting chameleon with just the buster

hell I think I'll play it right now

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I enjoy Love Actually.

I will fight anyone that wants to call it names.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    I enjoy Love Actually.

edited December 2011
    Love Actually is probably a little less bad than other Richard Curtis films

In the same way that, say, getting shot in the leg is probably a little less bad than getting shot in the head

Solar on
    I will admit, this will probably be the best thing Curtis ever does

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWc1GLlIbqU

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson were about the only two good things about that movie

but their storyline made me sad

You forgot Bill Nighy

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    best Richard Curtis film is The Boat That Rocked

it is

amazing

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    I'm learning that everyone here sucks

do you have some kind of a disability?

Fyndir wrote:
    I enjoy Love Actually.

No fair, all I have to do is punch you in the kidneys and I win

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    JoeUser wrote:

WRONG
    Muppet Christmas Carol

:^:

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The best 80s movies are The Thing, Aliens, Die Hard (also the best Christmas movie), and Big Trouble in Little China.
    Prove me wrong I dare you.

I enjoy The Thing and Die Hard, have not seen Aliens or Big Trouble in Little China yet...

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Shorty wrote:
    yeah

it was one of the only SNES games I owned when I was growing up so I played the ever-loving fuck out of it

this is why I can beat sting chameleon with just the buster

hell I think I'll play it right now

haha, same here

I never got that good at it, but I knew where all the hidden stuff was. I think I still do, actually

I tried playing it on the PS2 collection earlier this year and couldn't get past the first part of Spark Mandrill's stage. I must've been sick or something

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote:
    The best 80s movies are The Thing, Aliens, Die Hard (also the best Christmas movie), and Big Trouble in Little China.
    Movies_Films_T_The_Terminator_010629_.jpg

Janson wrote: »
    I enjoy The Thing and Die Hard, have not seen Aliens or Big Trouble in Little China yet...

Fix this immediately.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote:

Back to the Future.

Janson wrote:

You should watch Aliens, at least, it's a really good movie

I know Mori loves Big Trouble in Little China, and we own it, so I'll no doubt watch it one day

I've either seen Alien or Aliens (not sure which), and it was not my thing, but I will give it a go (I've also seen the fourth film, again, didn't like it).

edited December 2011
    Let's not go into the fourth one.

But the first is the bunch of miners on their ship, trapped with the lone Alien roaming throughout the inner structure.

Aliens is when the survivor from the first film is brought in with marines to investigate the loss of contact with a colony on the planet they first discovered the Alien eggs.

Gatsby on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote:
    I enjoy Love Actually.

I also love that film! Its brilliant.

If you didn't like alien/aliens then that is no reason not to see aliens/alien

As they are very different films

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Big Trouble in Little China isn't that good of a flick, but I still love it.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    It really is remarkable that Alien/Aliens are such good films in completely different genres.

I mean, it's remarkable that a sequel is in a different genre entirely. That both are also such exemplar examples of their genre is simply inconceivable.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.