As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They [Chat]

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    oooh

yeah that is sad

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Oh man, just read the old news. Germany be hatin' on Apple.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    think about it what way

Like, I can look at a photo in a magazine of a starlet and be like "pfft, she doesn't REALLY look that good. Photoshop!"

But then you look at old photos where they didn't have that much manipulation and it's like "Well fuck."

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

Hilarious, yes? And it had to be Germany.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    They don't make 'em like her anymore.

They still airbrushed back then :P

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    They probably took out some of her intestines.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Elki wrote:

Hilarious, yes? And it had to be Germany.

It makes me laugh something fierce because it's a Motorola patent. I mean this is splitting my sides right nah.

Sarksus wrote: »

who needs em

Also, [chat]. I'm drinking straight from the bottle now. I have a glass but it's lame. Judge me.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Yeah, a lot of the tools in photoshop are based off tools we have had for ages in photography. Photoshop made it much easier also able to do a few more things than we use to.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Also, [chat]. I'm drinking straight from the bottle now. I have a glass but it's lame. Judge me.

Glasses need to be cleaned. Bottle is the true way.

Variable wrote:
    Sarksus wrote: »

who needs em

Not me!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

only one bottle

for shame

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote:
    Wash wrote:

well, they do, but we have blinders to it and require photoshop filters now for some reason

That isn't what I meant, and I should have worded it better. They don't make stars like her anymore. We have celebrities, but no stars. I think somewhere around the time of the film school generation we lost one of those magical elements of cinema where a man or woman on the screen was larger than life. We haven't seen the likes of Bogey, Marilyn, Stewart, or Grant in decades. It's a real shame, too, it really, really is, and I wish I could bring it back.

There's a moment near the beginning of Rear Window, when Grace Kelly's character Lisa is introduced and she's breathtaking. Literally breathtaking, and I haven't seen a film released in the last decade manage to replicate that. There was an era for actresses like her and it's passed, and now we have the Kardashians.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    So It Goes wrote:

only one bottle

for shame

It was a tactical blunder. Only lesser known than, "Never mess with a Sicilian when death is on the line.". I bought only one bottle tonight.

Wash wrote:
    So It Goes wrote:
    Wash wrote:

well, they do, but we have blinders to it and require photoshop filters now for some reason

That isn't what I meant, and I should have worded it better. They don't make stars like her anymore. We have celebrities, but no stars. I think somewhere around the time of the film school generation we lost one of those magical elements of cinema where a man or woman on the screen was larger than life. We haven't seen the likes of Bogey, Marilyn, Stewart, or Grant in decades. It's a real shame, too, it really, really is, and I wish I could bring it back.

There's a moment near the beginning of Rear Window, when Grace Kelly's character Lisa is introduced and she's breathtaking. Literally breathtaking, and I haven't seen a film released in the last decade manage to replicate that. There was an era for actresses like her and it's passed, and now we have the Kardashians.

This si just the entropy of the universe at work, broseph. Don't worry. Concern yourself with dating the shit out of this "Kim" character in your life.

Wash, I see what you are saying but I think a lot of this is you seeing things through very rose colored glasses. A specific bent you might say.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Or a specific bint

simonwolf wrote:
    Or a specific bint

heyoooooooo

English derogatory terms amuse me to no end.

simonwolf wrote:
    Or a specific bint

Very nice my japanophile red headed friend.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Wash subscribes to the Fedora Theory. As we can no longer pull off the fedora and associated hats, we no longer have true stars.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote:
    simonwolf wrote:
    Or a specific bint

heyoooooooo

I'm here all week

don't forget to tip yer waitress

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This is on Amazon Prime too by the way.

they_live_deal_w_It.gif

oh god rape thread, you are my kryptoniiiiiiite

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Sarksus wrote:
    Wash subscribes to the Fedora Theory. As we can no longer pull off the fedora and associated hats, we no longer have true stars.

Well, he kinda has a point.

Grace Kelly was p gorgeous.

EDIT: Also, fedoras look shockingly bad now.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Hey Variable

SiG

Sarks

Dyna

and anyone else, really

which of you punks want to play [chat] D&D for a night or two sometime this month?

rRwz9.gif
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Wash, I see what you are saying but I think a lot of this is you seeing things through very rose colored glasses. A specific bent you might say.

There was definitely a much different attitude about Hollywood stars and starlettes back in the 40's and 50's. The studios controlled their lives to a horrible degree but the media treated them with a good amount of respect and privacy when compared to today.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    So It Goes wrote:
    oh god rape thread, you are my kryptoniiiiiiite

Why do people keep going there? Are your a man(woman) or a slave!

u7stthr17eud.png
    So, this sword I crafted at level 36 in Skyrim is just messing up these peoples' business.

All-up-ins their business.

I have never played D&D

TehSloth wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

Well, he kinda has a point.

Grace Kelly was p gorgeous.

EDIT: Also, fedoras look shockingly bad now.

I wasn't disagreeing with him. I think there could be a link between stars and fedoras that allow us to rule out the argument of rose colored glasses!

pitt and clooney are pretty big stars I'd say

I get that it's a different world but there are some folks who come close to that sort of mystique I think.

Jacobkosh wrote:
    Hey Variable

SiG

Sarks

Dyna

and anyone else, really

which of you punks want to play [chat] D&D for a night or two sometime this month?

Jacob, I'd join you, but I hung up my role-playing hat after a major Model-U.N. flub. I'm not worthy to roll the dice.

Jacobkosh wrote:
    Hey Variable

SiG

Sarks

Dyna

and anyone else, really

Didn't you say you were going to use a really old edition?

I'm not sure if I'm grognard enough!

I've never played D&D before despite owning a 3.5 rulebook and making characters for games that never happened before. I am sort of interested.

Variable wrote:
    I have never played D&D

Yeah, why don't I ever get asked to play D&D? Is it because I'm too cool?

I'll accept that.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Dynagrip wrote:
    This is on Amazon Prime too by the way.

they_live_deal_w_It.gif

Yesss.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Going by the trailers, The Darkest Hours looks really shitty. Cheap CGI, poor cast (with the exception of Emile Hersch, why is he in this?), dumb plot, innovative but silly alien nemesis. Paaaaaaaaaaass.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2011
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Hey Variable

SiG

Sarks

Dyna

and anyone else, really

I would be up for it but I'm gonna be in Italy starting this Friday for the rest of December. I'll give a pen & paper a shot with y'all at some point in the near future though. Assuming I'm not rotting in an Italian jail on bogus charges. or caught up in riots during the fall of the euro. either/or.

Dynagrip on
    Wash wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:

There was definitely a much different attitude about Hollywood stars and starlettes back in the 40's and 50's. The studios controlled their lives to a horrible degree but the media treated them with a good amount of respect and privacy when compared to today.

The media was very different back then. They also respected the private lives of politicians. Tried to project an ideal world that was very white washed. And had a few good news folks who dug and a lot of others cowed by people like McCarthy. People were black listed for ideological leanings or just standing up for their own rights. A misogyny that is hard to understand was the norm as well.

Sure the women were gorgeous. Some of the movies were excellent. But I prefer not to idealize any part of the 1950s or 1960s. Even the parts I enjoy now. Because there is a very nasty backdrop behind that pretty picture.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.