As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

British Shows: Watch all the hot new television before it comes to America!

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2011
    I have seem, over the past few years, Ian Mckellan, Patrick Stewart, David Tennant, Gillian Anderson, Toby Stephens, Christopher Eccleston, Tara Fitzgerald, and a bunch of other big names do theatre. I missed Jude Law, Ewan McGregor and many more when they were doing it.

Bogart on
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    If you want boobs in Doctor Who I'd look to Torchwood, Billy.

Anyhow, ages ago I watched most of the first series of Misfits. It was a weird concept but strangely enjoyable. I rounded it off last week (the joy of British TV is that you tend not to get filler with just 6-8 episodes) and started on the second. My word, series 2 is a huge improvement. It's heavily flawed for a bunch of obvious reasons, but I'm really getting in to it.

I love Misfits. Season three is pretty wonderful and contains one of my favourite pre-intro-music lines ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-w8OIqyBT8

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I need two shows to come to America. QI, which appears to be totally awesome from youtube clips, and That Mitchell and Webb Look, which I can only get 2 seasons old on netflix right now..

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote:
    I need two shows to come to America. QI, which appears to be totally awesome from youtube clips, and That Mitchell and Webb Look, which I can only get 2 seasons old on netflix right now..

You made me do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp02ubGuTIU

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Also, general question: im not a big doctor who fan, but is David Tennant some sort of massive cockbag worthy of contempt? He always seems so nice and friendly on the BBC America commercials.

No, everything I've heard about him says he's a great guy.

• AJC delle Marche esqAJC delle Marche esq __BANNED USERS regular
    I know that actors go from television or film to theatre. But I still contend that it's an indication that their career is in decline. Big, hot actors aren't deciding between doing another movie or doing theatre.

It's like American bands who tour Eastern Europe. It's not the big, hot, now bands doing that. It's bands who peaked twenty years ago. American audiences won't go to their shows anymore, but it'll be big news in Estonia. It will be Megadeth or something in Estonia. Not Justin Bieber.

As for David Tennant, I'm sure he's a jam up guy.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Some actors really enjoy/prefer theater.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Jude Law is in the new Sherlock Holmes movie and just got done playing Hamlet on stage. Al Pacino was just in The Merchant of Venice.

edited December 2011
    Your opinions are just odd. Are you a new Fast Show character?

Bogart on
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    I asked if he was Alan Partridge.

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Oh man, why did you have to show THAT clip of Mitchell and Webb? Such a great sketch(?), but such a gut punch.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    It would have been better if they'd been less blatant about setting it up.

Although over the course of weeks it would be easy to forget their missions statement.

And it was still pretty good.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I know that actors go from television or film to theatre. But I still contend that it's an indication that their career is in decline. Big, hot actors aren't deciding between doing another movie or doing theatre.

It's like American bands who tour Eastern Europe. It's not the big, hot, now bands doing that. It's bands who peaked twenty years ago. American audiences won't go to their shows anymore, but it'll be big news in Estonia. It will be Megadeth or something in Estonia. Not Justin Bieber.

Al Pachino does theatre.

Lots of people get their start on the stage before moving onto the screen, even in the States. Every big name comedian? Chances are they started out at Second City in Chicago. Hell, Rainn Wilson started in the world of theatre. It's not a sign that their career is in decline at all. That's appearing on the SyFy channel. Especially not for British actors.

You're telling me that Gandalf can't get work? No dice, sir.

There's a bit of a stigma in the public about stage work, but in acting there's no difference. It's cool if you don't like the theatre, but it's unfair to say it's a sign that their career is in decline.

Lh96QHG.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Another thing, Tennant is an actor from a sci fi televsion show. In the US the next logical career move is to do conventions until you put a gun in your mouth.

Glad to hear he's not a dick. I don't really know why it matters, but it does. Thanks @Bogart !

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote:
    Your opinions are just odd. Are you a new Fast Show character?

I'm fairly certain that if he isn't a troll, he hangs out under bridges for funsies. No one knows that much about Doctor Who from just seeing one episode.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    David Tennant is a struggling actor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG3aZIVetZQ

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    Maybe Tennant should just tits or GTFO.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    Well, that's something, to be sure.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Wait, sorry, I'm confused, being an award winning Shakespearian actor indicates a career in decline?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    I asked if he was Alan Partridge.

Any minute now he'll demand a show called Monkey Tennis.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2011

It doesn't sound like you actually know very much about big actors and what they do with their time, which is kind of a major handicap when discussing this subject!

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The Mitchell and Webb (which if people don't know, started as a radio show) look sort of lost its way with season 2. It however got back on track in season 3.

With regards to panel shows, Nevermind the Buzzcocks has completely lost its way. The fact you've got people from the X-factor turning up as guests and not getting ripped apart, and James Blunt of all being the guest host. I don't know.

Also, do people remember Big Train?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JibxHpXqAfc

PSN Fleety2009
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I had no idea there were more than two seasons of That Mitchell and Webb Look, having watched it on netflix. Damn. Guess I'll be ordering DVDs or something.

It's not a show, but I'd highly recommend Cabin Pressure to anyone who likes British comedy.

On a mild tangent, is sketch comedy less popular in America than in the UK? There's Saturday Night Live, and I don't know if Mad TV is still a thing, but it seems like sketch comedy is a lot more popular in the commonwealth nations. I was thinking of this the other day while watching Picnicface (if you're in Canada, it's on the comedy network website, and is surprisingly good) and thinking about Kids in the Hall.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The end of the second series of Misfits seems to have a pretty hefty continuity error.
    Barry doesn't know he becomes the masked free-runner, that happened inside the little timeloop that was undone. And yet, the next episode opens with him practising his jumping. I suppose that's the nature of including time travel in a story as a regular device, it just leads to annoying mistakes

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011

Yes, they absolutely do. They just do, and claiming that's false is just stupid. Stop stating your opinions as fact, please.

edit: and hilariously, the bigger bands get the further afield they go. To tour Eastern Europe you'd need to be pretty big. The smaller you are, the closer to home and safer venues you play.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    Ego wrote:
    I had no idea there were more than two seasons of That Mitchell and Webb Look, having watched it on netflix. Damn. Guess I'll be ordering DVDs or something.

It's not a show, but I'd highly recommend Cabin Pressure to anyone who likes British comedy.

On a mild tangent, is sketch comedy less popular in America than in the UK? There's Saturday Night Live, and I don't know if Mad TV is still a thing, but it seems like sketch comedy is a lot more popular in the commonwealth nations. I was thinking of this the other day while watching Picnicface (if you're in Canada, it's on the comedy network website, and is surprisingly good) and thinking about Kids in the Hall.

Aside from SNL I can't think of one that's still on. And even that goes through phases of popularity.

Lh96QHG.png
    Ego wrote:

Picnicface are brilliant.

forumsig.png
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote:
    You don't seem to get that doing theatre on a regular basis is just something a lot of actors, especially British actors, do, whether they're famous or not.

And Radio 4 stuff, which Tennant, happily, continues to do a decent amount of.

edited December 2011
    BobCesca wrote:
    Bogart wrote:
    You don't seem to get that doing theatre on a regular basis is just something a lot of actors, especially British actors, do, whether they're famous or not.

And Radio 4 stuff, which Tennant, happily, continues to do a decent amount of.

Oh my goodness, radio? You're basically better off killing yourself than descending to the pit of misery that is radio. I mean, you can't even see the face.

edit: I dare any man who says theatre is where you go to die, to express this opinion in the vicinity of Brian Blessed.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited December 2011

You appear to have a somewhat narrow/ignorant concept of what a 'career' entails. Do you have some omniscient perspective that tells you how satisfied every actor is with the direction or focus of their working life? If an actor transitions from the spotlight of a very popular program or film to continuous(yet less widely popular) success in some other area, is that somehow less valuable?

Not every performer has some extreme desire to maintain a massive ego that comes from being really famous or something.

What makes foreign success so much less valuable to you than that of being popular in America?

Lucid on
    edited December 2011
    Kenneth Branagh directed Thor last year, has starred in a bunch of movies, does theatre all the time and just got done starring in an adaptation of Life And Fate for Radio 4.

I don't think this kind of variety projects a career arc of success and failure. It shows a guy doing ten different things in ten different formats, all of them good.

Bogart on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    I think some of it is the differences between British and US actors. For one, the theatre continues to be extremely important, especially if you want to be considered a "proper" actor. Secondly, a lot of British actors have a love of, and a strong relationship with the BBC, and it seems that Radio 4 (and sometimes Radio 3) get the benefits of this (I assume because one can go in and record in a day, maybe two at the most, whereas TV takes weeks).

Bogart wrote:
    Kenneth Branagh

was the bad guy in Wild Wild West.
    It starred Will Smith.
    Will Smith doesn't do theatre.

I would like to see Shia LeBouf do 12th Night...

...no wait... I would hate that.

Kevin Kline was in that movie as well. He does a ton of theatre.

YOUR MOVE, DEEBASER.

• DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    I think one or two years ago I saw Phèdre at the National Theatre in London with Helen Mirren and Dominic Cooper (the husband in Mama Mia and also a load of other things.. like uh Stark in Cpt America)

It was excellent. They are excellent.

They continune doing excellent things.

• Uncle_JohnUncle_John Registered User regular
    The first episode of This is England 88 was fantastic. I think This is England is my favourite thing ever, I love it so much.

edited December 2011
    Bogart wrote:
    Kevin Kline was in that movie as well. He does a ton of theatre.

YOUR MOVE, DEEBASER.

Touché, I concede defeat.
    I just can't think of Kenny B without thinking of that terrible movie. I'm sorry. I owe him so much too. His version of Hamlet helped me out so much in HS English Lit.

That movie was bad. So bad. That fucking song too...
    FUCK YOU WILL SMITH!

Deebaser on