Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Je Veux Te [Chat]

1679111296

Posts

  • SarksusSarksus playing tennisRegistered User regular
    Bowen did J pay you to say this.

  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    desc wrote:
    another interesting phenomenon is what I call Secret White People Club, where I'm with a group of other white people and all of a sudden someone starts being ultra racist and using the N-word because we are all white

    What's creepy is how they feel it out usually

    They start dropping code words to see if anyone will stop them and then they ramp it up gradually

    Argh
    yeah one girl was like "I mean, there are black people and there are ***s." my jaw dropped

    You've got Chris Rock's Uncle-Tomming to thank for that line.

    "Stereotypes are justified because of ignorant blacks and you aren't a racist for buying into them!" D:

    eokNV.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Because someone argued that the origin of the word was sexist.

    It's not, but if you can't get past the fact that it has multiple origins and meanings and move past your own sexism, then, there's no bother. I will keep using it as intended. Or maybe starting using pusillanimous, like I said. Though it's hard to say that with a straight face while calling someone that.

    This is simply not how language works. Well, I mean, not if you want to communicate with people and actually be understood.

    Tell me how it differs from pusillanimous. Tell me why it should matter if I shorten it. Tell me why you immediately assume it's sexist in nature? I've heard the most rational, non-sexist people use it in other ways. I posit that it has moved past it, or is in the process of moving past those connotations. Maybe not in your area. Just because you assume "pussy = weak = like a woman" doesn't mean anyone does, most people are just going "pussy = weak = less strong" now, which is, ironically the original origin of the word -- that part of the etymology anyways.

    Oddly, it sort of seems like, in a way, letting the word shed its sexist connotations is an undesirable thing to some people. Our optiosn here are:

    1) shame people who use it, reinforcing its power as a sexist term.
    2) use it in other ways, diminishing and eventually stripping it of sexist meaning.
    3) ban its use, which if effective freezes it in the current quasi-sexist place it is now.

    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    I am posting from my iPad. It's pretty fancy. I feel very Star Trek walking around the house with this.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    I was discussing languages with my Armenian/French friend the other day and somehow we got on the topic of bad words. So I told her that my Polish friends often called each other by the Polish word for "cunt" (I used the Polish word - I thought she might know it). She didn't, so I kind of mouthed/whispered the English word. She still didn't know what it meant. So I had to explain what cunt meant to my female friend.

    That was awkward.

    "It's a derogatory term for vagina that was used as far as Shakespeare."

    How is that awkward?

    Oh. Yeah. That would have been better than my explicit description.

    steam_sig.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    desc wrote:
    another interesting phenomenon is what I call Secret White People Club, where I'm with a group of other white people and all of a sudden someone starts being ultra racist and using the N-word because we are all white

    What's creepy is how they feel it out usually

    They start dropping code words to see if anyone will stop them and then they ramp it up gradually

    Argh
    yeah one girl was like "I mean, there are black people and there are ***s." my jaw dropped

    chrisrockOK.jpg

  • HerrCronHerrCron Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    I openly swear at work all the time.

    "What's wrong with my computer?"
    "It's being an asshole."

    and no one gives a fuck.

    oh god I was in the computer lab the other day trying to write a letter and get some stuff sorted out.

    dude sits down at the computer next to me and is writing some kind of program for a class.

    he starts talking to it and asking why it's returning nonsense something is in the t loop etc etc etc

    IT WAS FUCKING ANNOYING

    Yeah I'm guilty of that.

    "Come on computer, stop being such a dick."

    Same here - I have had full blown interrogations of the compiler and why it insists on acting like it's drunk, but only when I'm at home or the only one in the office.

    Outside of that I will just occasionally question what kind of bullshit it's trying to pull.

    sig.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Chu: Personally I got into a handful of scuffles through the school years, but honestly nothing I would call a fight.

    Now, I've been punched in the face and stuff, but that's because I took martial arts and sparred, but, that's a controlled environment, entirely different.

    In my experience it just comes down to what school you went through. My friend and I are both middle class, I went to a public magnet highschool, next to no fighting. My friend went to an all boys catholic highschool? A good fight about once a week or so.

    afaossig.jpg~original
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I was discussing languages with my Armenian/French friend the other day and somehow we got on the topic of bad words. So I told her that my Polish friends often called each other by the Polish word for "cunt" (I used the Polish word - I thought she might know it). She didn't, so I kind of mouthed/whispered the English word. She still didn't know what it meant. So I had to explain what cunt meant to my female friend.

    That was awkward.

    "It's a derogatory term for vagina that was used as far as Shakespeare."

    How is that awkward?

    Oh. Yeah. That would have been better than my explicit description.

    ....What....what did you say?

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    like, to have never been punched in the face... man

    now that is wild to me

    i honestly feel like i have more in common with barack obama than i do someone who's never been in a fistfight

    it was such a hugely significant part of my life, vying for social status, protecting myself, etc

    like 'o yeah one time in the second grade i threw a pencil at this kid but otherwise i've never been in a fight'

    as i grow older it seems like i'm finding out that's a normal middle class experience- to have never dealt with violence

    but in my mind, still, i visualize those people as like the children of diplomats who were escorted by interior service guards to and from school in a gated community

    barack obama got punched in the face as a kid?

    ftOqU21.png
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular



    madeon is just the coolest there is

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    ignant-ass vampires

    ftOqU21.png
  • LudiousLudious Festering butt-snuffler Dickville, pop: meRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Chu: Personally I got into a handful of scuffles through the school years, but honestly nothing I would call a fight.

    Now, I've been punched in the face and stuff, but that's because I took martial arts and sparred, but, that's a controlled environment, entirely different.

    In my experience it just comes down to what school you went through. My friend and I are both middle class, I went to a public magnet highschool, next to no fighting. My friend went to an all boys catholic highschool? A good fight about once a week or so.

    I'm sure all of the boys getting fucked in the ass by the priest probably caused some latent agression


    Google Talk: ludious83
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Because someone argued that the origin of the word was sexist.

    It's not, but if you can't get past the fact that it has multiple origins and meanings and move past your own sexism, then, there's no bother. I will keep using it as intended. Or maybe starting using pusillanimous, like I said. Though it's hard to say that with a straight face while calling someone that.

    This is simply not how language works. Well, I mean, not if you want to communicate with people and actually be understood.

    Tell me how it differs from pusillanimous. Tell me why it should matter if I shorten it. Tell me why you immediately assume it's sexist in nature? I've heard the most rational, non-sexist people use it in other ways. I posit that it has moved past it, or is in the process of moving past those connotations. Maybe not in your area. Just because you assume "pussy = weak = like a woman" doesn't mean anyone does, most people are just going "pussy = weak = less strong" now, which is, ironically the original origin of the word -- that part of the etymology anyways.

    Oddly, it sort of seems like, in a way, letting the word shed its sexist connotations is an undesirable thing to some people. Our optiosn here are:

    1) shame people who use it, reinforcing its power as a sexist term.
    2) use it in other ways, diminishing and eventually stripping it of sexist meaning.
    3) ban its use, which if effective freezes it in the current quasi-sexist place it is now.
    you forgot option
    4) make an active choice not to use a word that perpetuates current unfair gender practices

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:

    Oddly, it sort of seems like, in a way, letting the word shed its sexist connotations is an undesirable thing to some people. Our optiosn here are:

    1) shame people who use it, reinforcing its power as a sexist term.
    2) use it in other ways, diminishing and eventually stripping it of sexist meaning.
    3) ban its use, which if effective freezes it in the current quasi-sexist place it is now.

    PORCH MONKEY! HELP ME TAKE IT BACK SPOOL, HELP ME TAKE IT BACK!

    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I was discussing languages with my Armenian/French friend the other day and somehow we got on the topic of bad words. So I told her that my Polish friends often called each other by the Polish word for "cunt" (I used the Polish word - I thought she might know it). She didn't, so I kind of mouthed/whispered the English word. She still didn't know what it meant. So I had to explain what cunt meant to my female friend.

    That was awkward.

    "It's a derogatory term for vagina that was used as far as Shakespeare."

    How is that awkward?

    Oh. Yeah. That would have been better than my explicit description.

    ....What....what did you say?

    touched hers and went "THAT'S A CUNT"

    ftOqU21.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    desc wrote:
    another interesting phenomenon is what I call Secret White People Club, where I'm with a group of other white people and all of a sudden someone starts being ultra racist and using the N-word because we are all white

    What's creepy is how they feel it out usually

    They start dropping code words to see if anyone will stop them and then they ramp it up gradually

    Argh
    yeah one girl was like "I mean, there are black people and there are ***s." my jaw dropped

    You've got Chris Rock's Uncle-Tomming to thank for that line.

    "Stereotypes are justified because of ignorant blacks and you aren't a racist for buying into them!" D:

    Really?

  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    like, to have never been punched in the face... man

    now that is wild to me

    i honestly feel like i have more in common with barack obama than i do someone who's never been in a fistfight

    it was such a hugely significant part of my life, vying for social status, protecting myself, etc

    like 'o yeah one time in the second grade i threw a pencil at this kid but otherwise i've never been in a fight'

    as i grow older it seems like i'm finding out that's a normal middle class experience- to have never dealt with violence

    but in my mind, still, i visualize those people as like the children of diplomats who were escorted by interior service guards to and from school in a gated community

    barack obama got punched in the face as a kid?

    i dunno

    maybe not

    i'm just trying to illustrate the psychological gap that i imagine exists between me and someone who didn't deal with that particular problem

    XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I was discussing languages with my Armenian/French friend the other day and somehow we got on the topic of bad words. So I told her that my Polish friends often called each other by the Polish word for "cunt" (I used the Polish word - I thought she might know it). She didn't, so I kind of mouthed/whispered the English word. She still didn't know what it meant. So I had to explain what cunt meant to my female friend.

    That was awkward.

    "It's a derogatory term for vagina that was used as far as Shakespeare."

    How is that awkward?

    Oh. Yeah. That would have been better than my explicit description.

    ....What....what did you say?

    touched hers and went "THAT'S A CUNT"
    funny, I would have just pointed at Chu

    :j

  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    desc wrote:
    another interesting phenomenon is what I call Secret White People Club, where I'm with a group of other white people and all of a sudden someone starts being ultra racist and using the N-word because we are all white

    What's creepy is how they feel it out usually

    They start dropping code words to see if anyone will stop them and then they ramp it up gradually

    Argh

    P. sure a guy at work is doing that, I guess because I'm the only other white guy on our team. He keeps ramping up the anti-Islam rhetoric, and it's starting to get uncomfortable.

    Couple days ago I was stuck in the breakroom for like an hour whilst he talked at me about management pulling him in for a supposed racist complaint to a member of the public, and I can totes believe it despite his protests.

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot P'burg, MTRegistered User regular
    I've never been in a fight.

    Spoiler:
  • LudiousLudious Festering butt-snuffler Dickville, pop: meRegistered User regular
    Chris Rock is a comedian

    What he does is comedy

    If you are taking serious life lessons from him you are missing the point. He's not an uncle tom


    Google Talk: ludious83
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Being punched in the face sucks :(

  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I was discussing languages with my Armenian/French friend the other day and somehow we got on the topic of bad words. So I told her that my Polish friends often called each other by the Polish word for "cunt" (I used the Polish word - I thought she might know it). She didn't, so I kind of mouthed/whispered the English word. She still didn't know what it meant. So I had to explain what cunt meant to my female friend.

    That was awkward.

    "It's a derogatory term for vagina that was used as far as Shakespeare."

    How is that awkward?

    Oh. Yeah. That would have been better than my explicit description.

    ....What....what did you say?

    touched hers and went "THAT'S A CUNT"
    funny, I would have just pointed at Chu

    :j

    no, not that vagina

    the walrus sized jew behind it

    XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Kagera wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    To me, "weak" doesn't mean woman, because fuck who the fuck thinks like that?

    You can be a tough man and one could be a weaker man. Those that default to assuming women are week are the true sexist fucksticks.

    What does a woman have that men don't? A pussy. What would calling a man a pussy imply then? That he is not a man?

    This is how 99% of society uses this word despite your super unique situation when you interact wit society and use that word with society you are trying to speak to someone in a common tongue so you accept that the meaning of that word defaults to the common usage or else no one would fucking know what the fuck you are on about.

    Pussy's as a sex organ slang probably came about because of the actual origin of the word.

    Regardless, I disagree you ask most people why they use it, hardly anyone is going to say "because you're weak like a women" except for special cases.

    We should get grant money for a study

    “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • LudiousLudious Festering butt-snuffler Dickville, pop: meRegistered User regular
    That is to say, if you take what he said on stage as a joke, and try to apply it to real life, you are an idiot. That doesn't make him one


    Google Talk: ludious83
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    desc wrote:
    Being punched in the face sucks :(

    I would categorize as mildly annoying.

  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Because someone argued that the origin of the word was sexist.

    It's not, but if you can't get past the fact that it has multiple origins and meanings and move past your own sexism, then, there's no bother. I will keep using it as intended. Or maybe starting using pusillanimous, like I said. Though it's hard to say that with a straight face while calling someone that.

    This is simply not how language works. Well, I mean, not if you want to communicate with people and actually be understood.

    Tell me how it differs from pusillanimous. Tell me why it should matter if I shorten it. Tell me why you immediately assume it's sexist in nature? I've heard the most rational, non-sexist people use it in other ways. I posit that it has moved past it, or is in the process of moving past those connotations. Maybe not in your area. Just because you assume "pussy = weak = like a woman" doesn't mean anyone does, most people are just going "pussy = weak = less strong" now, which is, ironically the original origin of the word -- that part of the etymology anyways.

    Oddly, it sort of seems like, in a way, letting the word shed its sexist connotations is an undesirable thing to some people. Our optiosn here are:

    1) shame people who use it, reinforcing its power as a sexist term.
    2) use it in other ways, diminishing and eventually stripping it of sexist meaning.
    3) ban its use, which if effective freezes it in the current quasi-sexist place it is now.

    I'm assuming the bulk of argumentation is from two sides of a similar coin: A linguistic person, who studies language, and someone who's experienced the worst part of shun from society over feminine and sexist inequalities due to sexual orientation. Hard to be objective in either situation and I can see why someone would take hard offense to the word itself.

    Regardless, I agree to disagree, and the word is moving forward and in the future will be nothing more than a synonym.

  • thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User
    TL,DR wrote:
    desc wrote:
    another interesting phenomenon is what I call Secret White People Club, where I'm with a group of other white people and all of a sudden someone starts being ultra racist and using the N-word because we are all white

    What's creepy is how they feel it out usually

    They start dropping code words to see if anyone will stop them and then they ramp it up gradually

    Argh
    yeah one girl was like "I mean, there are black people and there are ***s." my jaw dropped

    You've got Chris Rock's Uncle-Tomming to thank for that line.

    "Stereotypes are justified because of ignorant blacks and you aren't a racist for buying into them!" D:

    Really?

    If that quote is accurate, then yeah, that's what he is.

  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    desc wrote:
    another interesting phenomenon is what I call Secret White People Club, where I'm with a group of other white people and all of a sudden someone starts being ultra racist and using the N-word because we are all white

    What's creepy is how they feel it out usually

    They start dropping code words to see if anyone will stop them and then they ramp it up gradually

    Argh
    yeah one girl was like "I mean, there are black people and there are ***s." my jaw dropped

    You've got Chris Rock's Uncle-Tomming to thank for that line.

    "Stereotypes are justified because of ignorant blacks and you aren't a racist for buying into them!" D:

    Really?

    If that quote is accurate, then yeah, that's what he is.

    Really?

  • DaxonDaxon Registered User
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I was discussing languages with my Armenian/French friend the other day and somehow we got on the topic of bad words. So I told her that my Polish friends often called each other by the Polish word for "cunt" (I used the Polish word - I thought she might know it). She didn't, so I kind of mouthed/whispered the English word. She still didn't know what it meant. So I had to explain what cunt meant to my female friend.

    That was awkward.

    "It's a derogatory term for vagina that was used as far as Shakespeare."

    How is that awkward?

    Oh. Yeah. That would have been better than my explicit description.

    Cunt used to be the go-to word for vagina though, and was non-derogatory to begin with I do believe.

    isn't it like the old english word for vagina? it's just that people wanted to sound fancy and got a latinised word in (vagina) to replace it.

    Which is why feminists (Germaine Greer in particular) is/are trying to "reclaim" it.

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    like, to have never been punched in the face... man

    now that is wild to me

    i honestly feel like i have more in common with barack obama than i do someone who's never been in a fistfight

    it was such a hugely significant part of my life, vying for social status, protecting myself, etc

    like 'o yeah one time in the second grade i threw a pencil at this kid but otherwise i've never been in a fight'

    as i grow older it seems like i'm finding out that's a normal middle class experience- to have never dealt with violence

    but in my mind, still, i visualize those people as like the children of diplomats who were escorted by interior service guards to and from school in a gated community

    barack obama got punched in the face as a kid?

    i dunno

    maybe not

    i'm just trying to illustrate the psychological gap that i imagine exists between me and someone who didn't deal with that particular problem

    I've never been punched in the face!

    the only time that came close was when I punched a dude in the face and then he held me by the cuff and was like, winding up to punch me

    but I was just "welp, gonna get punched." so when I just stood there with a neutral expression and he had hesitated it just got awkward

    ftOqU21.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    Chris Rock is a comedian

    What he does is comedy

    If you are taking serious life lessons from him you are missing the point. He's not an uncle tom
    yeah and Tracy Morgan was totally making a joke about stabbing gay children not perpetuating homophobia
    oh wait
    Spoiler:

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User


    oh here it is.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    desc wrote:
    another interesting phenomenon is what I call Secret White People Club, where I'm with a group of other white people and all of a sudden someone starts being ultra racist and using the N-word because we are all white

    What's creepy is how they feel it out usually

    They start dropping code words to see if anyone will stop them and then they ramp it up gradually

    Argh

    This is so true.

    It's like when you're trying to figure out if the hobo you're talking to is a fellow member of the thieves guild. You start dropping hints like "damn, these lockpicks I am holdling are of the most excellent quality" or "can you believe that it is exactly 37 paces from the front to the back of the palace" or "I cannot believe the guard patrol routes around that bank are shut down for a full 15 minutes during the sundown shift change" before you whip out your Thieves Guild un-business card and show it to the guy.

    Because you can get in some right trouble if you don't feel that shit out first. The other guy be like "what mothafucka I'm a cop" and you be like "oh shit I shouldn't have given you my card" and he be like "what? I bet you a racist too eh mothafucka?" and

    maybe I should stop watching The Wire and playing Quest For Glory at the same time.

    steam_sig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    like, to have never been punched in the face... man

    now that is wild to me

    i honestly feel like i have more in common with barack obama than i do someone who's never been in a fistfight

    it was such a hugely significant part of my life, vying for social status, protecting myself, etc

    like 'o yeah one time in the second grade i threw a pencil at this kid but otherwise i've never been in a fight'

    as i grow older it seems like i'm finding out that's a normal middle class experience- to have never dealt with violence

    but in my mind, still, i visualize those people as like the children of diplomats who were escorted by interior service guards to and from school in a gated community

    barack obama got punched in the face as a kid?

    i dunno

    maybe not

    i'm just trying to illustrate the psychological gap that i imagine exists between me and someone who didn't deal with that particular problem

    I've never been punched in the face!

    the only time that came close was when I punched a dude in the face and then he held me by the cuff and was like, winding up to punch me

    but I was just "welp, gonna get punched." so when I just stood there with a neutral expression and he had hesitated it just got awkward

    yep

    that's incredible to me

    XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • LudiousLudious Festering butt-snuffler Dickville, pop: meRegistered User regular
    Comedy is sacred in that nothing on stage is sacred and we should keep it that way*

    *As long as it is comedy and is not veering off into a clearly-off-the-cuff rant


    Google Talk: ludious83
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I was discussing languages with my Armenian/French friend the other day and somehow we got on the topic of bad words. So I told her that my Polish friends often called each other by the Polish word for "cunt" (I used the Polish word - I thought she might know it). She didn't, so I kind of mouthed/whispered the English word. She still didn't know what it meant. So I had to explain what cunt meant to my female friend.

    That was awkward.

    "It's a derogatory term for vagina that was used as far as Shakespeare."

    How is that awkward?

    Oh. Yeah. That would have been better than my explicit description.

    ....What....what did you say?

    It started with "Close your eyes" so maybe that was my first mistake.

    steam_sig.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Crushing pussy; Marry a man Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote:
    [a guy at work is doing that, I guess because I'm the only other white guy on our team. He keeps ramping up the anti-Islam rhetoric, and it's starting to get uncomfortable.

    Couple days ago I was stuck in the breakroom for like an hour whilst he talked at me about management pulling him in for a supposed racist complaint to a member of the public, and I can totes believe it despite his protests.

    Soon you'll be together at a war enactment and he'll be all "Heil Hitler!" and doing his salutes and soon you'll realise that it's not jokes, but it'll be too late. Later your housemate will have sex with an improbably attractive woman, and you'll get engaged to the woman you lusted after since it all began but slowly realise that you don't love her as the wedding draws closer.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    Comedy is sacred in that nothing on stage is sacred and we should keep it that way*

    *As long as it is comedy and is not veering off into a clearly-off-the-cuff rant

    clearly-off-the-cunt rant

    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.