As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New (or Used?) Cars And The Purchasing Thereof!

2»

• Options
    DiogeeDiogee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You just have to make them truely believe they are going to get a sale - they will lie to you so don't be afraid to lie to them. Tell them you are buying the car RIGHT AWAY and they will pull out all the stops.

Diogee on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cool. I'll take that tack when I have a loan prepared. :)

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Diogee wrote: »
    You just have to make them truely believe they are going to get a sale - they will lie to you so don't be afraid to lie to them. Tell them you are buying the car RIGHT AWAY and they will pull out all the stops.

Lying to a car salesman, new or second-hand is a terrible way to make a deal. Any salesman worth their salt will do their absolute best to make you happy, because happy customers recommend you to their friends.

They usually know when you lie, and instantly stop trusting you. I can vouch for this because of the sheer amount of time I have spent talking with salesmen, friends who are car salesmen, and my girlfriend was also a car salesman for a while.

The 'secret' behind car salesmens technique is to try and strike up a friendship with you. If you are nice to them, believe me, they will actually try to help you.

Just tell them what you want, and how much you realistically want to spend.

If you are hoping for a good trade-in, have your car detailed. $150-200 or so having it professionally detailed can add up to $1000 to the value. Do it a couple of days before, so it's not perfect, but the engine bay and brakes and such are all still pretty clean. This gives the impression that you take super good care of your car.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Surely it's okay to apply some pressure to a salesman in a bargaining situation by saying you're prepared to buy NOW for the best price you can get?

I'll definitely get the car detailed. Thanks.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    DiogeeDiogee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Don't get the wrong idea - I'm not saying you should lie and say you just replaced the tires and brakes on your trade in when you didn't. I'm saying you should be willing to tell multiple dealers you will show up at their dealerships in the very near future and convince them that the only factor determining who will get your business is price. This doesn't preclude you from being friendly and honest with the dealer you actualy end up choosing.

It may not be the best way, I don't know. I've only bought 1 new car, but I saved almost 20% off MSRP (~$5K)

Diogee on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Diogee wrote: »
    Don't get the wrong idea - I'm not saying you should lie and say you just replaced the tires and brakes on your trade in when you didn't. I'm saying you should be willing to tell multiple dealers you will show up at their dealerships in the very near future and convince them that the only factor determining who will get your business is price.

While I'm against lying in any business transaction I don't see anything wrong with doing the above, but just cause you come to a price on the phone doesn't mean you have a deal. A lot of car salesmen will say pretty much whatever they think you want to hear over the phone to get you to come in.

Djeet on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    I have always been low-balled by the dealer on my trade. If you want the best price for you vehicle you should sell it yourself.

For example the dealer initially offerred me $4500 for my car, after much haggling/arguing I walked out and he offered me $6K as if he were throwing me a bone. KBB said it was worth $10K trade, I just sold it for $11K private party.

And $30K for a scion? Even with a 1.2 AUD to 1 USD exchange rate that sounds nuts. A scion xB base stickers for $16520 USD here in the states, why is yours so expensive? Are there significant import duties or additional state/national taxes and fees?

Edit: Selling yourself also makes the transaction cleaner, all you're haggling about is the price of the new car instead of both the trade and the new car. You can say I want it for X, I'll deposit N, yes or no, and just walk if they don't play ball.

You think 30k for a Scion xB is a rip-off?

A Lamborghini Aventador costs $750,000 here. Plus on-roads.
    An AMG SLS costs over half a mil, a Porsche 911 (base model) is over 200k, a fucking Lotus Elise is $80,000.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    You would think Bender would be able to recognize a zombie car [thread].

• Options
    Looks like the Y2K bug finally caught up with me...

This discussion has been closed.