As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Video Pinball] Pinball FX 2 is on the Humble Bundle! Get it now!

• The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    Is Marvel on sale on PSN, or just XBL? I'm away from my PS3 through the weekend so I can't check.

I mean, I guess I could go check the PSN thread, but maybe it didn't make it into the update or something.

valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    So can somebody link the second Marvel pack? I couldn't find it this morning.

camo_sig2.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    @Galactus - Just XBL as far as I know. It's a player appreciation week sale thing.

@jclast - If you mean to buy it, it's not out yet. They've previewed 3 of the tables, and have said it'll be out in December, but there was no hard date at the time (Monday).

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Well dang. Thanks for clarifying for me.

camo_sig2.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah!
    Do you have a Tegra powered Android mobile device? You can down download Zen Pinball THD for Nvidia Tegra powered devices for free, including the Sorcerer's Lair table for free!
    Do you have an iPhone, iTouch or iPad? You can now download Zen Pinball on iOS for free, including the Sorcerer's Lair table for free!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm going to end up rebuying my tables aren't I?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote:
    I'm going to end up rebuying my tables aren't I?

Yes.

But thankfully it looks like only Fantastic Four and Wolverine are available to purchase, so at least it won't be all at once. Actually, of those two, Fantastic Four was pretty forgettable.

Replace "forgettable" with "terrible" and I'd agree with you. The physics probably could have been excused if they didn't cause so many bad glitches in basic table operations (how many times did a ball just up and stop going up a ramp due to spin?), and if Ben wasn't the absolute worst part of any table they've made to date.

edited December 2011
    Just use a custom soundtrack.

Thor, Odinson
    Protector of mankind
    Ride to meet your fate
    YOUR DESTINY AWAITS!

Cantido on
  • CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    Marvel V&V pack is out next week, right? RIGHT?!?

I need to grab some MS points this weekend...

To the best of my knowledge, Zen still hasn't dropped a release date for this pack. Best we've gotten is "December", but it won't hurt to just have the points ready, I suppose.

• BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    The release date was announced when they revealed Thor.
    PSN Release: December 13th (14th in Europe) for $9.99
    XBLA Release: December 14th: 800 MSP

3DS: 5026-4424-9805
    Dunno how I missed that, but happy enough for it. I'll see you guys on the leaderboards then. ;D

And Cello, you're welcome to have Pasha as long as you want. I really hate playing that table. ^_^

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Very late to the party, but mind if you add me to the list of players in the OP? My Live handle is Wordherder.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited December 2011
    I just "beat" Ms Splosion man. Probably the only table I've beaten. I'd love to finish Mars, because it's my favorite table, but it just keeps going.

I'm PC player now and I really wish this had a PC release. I dust off my xbox almost exclusively for some pinballin.' Zen says it's a possibility though. :(

Cantido on
    The game came to smartphones and is coming to the 3DS, so I wouldn't bet against it coming to PC.

Oh Mars ... "Thanks for all your hard work and patience!"
    *100M, table reset*

Personally, Zen needs to work on some of their more recent releases by including better wizard modes ...
    Captain America just ends. "Here's some points." *table resets*
    Ms. Splosion Man is the same.
    Sorcerer's Lair is the same.
    Hell, I think MOST of the tables are like this.

Paranormal was refreshing because the table at least HAD a wizard mode, even if it was underwhelming and inefficient. I think all of the original Marvel tables had one (I can only say I've activated Spider-Man and Wolverine, but both are great), and I really want more of them. They give you this feeling of working towards something at the end - a crescendo of sorts. A bucket of points and 'rinse & repeat' is so anti-climactic ...

edited December 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    The game came to smartphones and is coming to the 3DS, so I wouldn't bet against it coming to PC.
    Good. I will buy all my tables a third time. Except for SSF2 and the original four. Fuck those tables.

Which tables have a Wizard mode? Not that I'm going to find it any time soon.

Cantido on
    I'm actually not sure, but reviewing the list it's less than I realized.
    As I mentioned, Wolverine and Spider-Man have them (Wolverine's occurs after completing all the missions, and is a timed mode. Spider-Man's occurs after beating all the missions and locking at least one ball in Doc's lab.) as I've done both of them. Sorcerer's Lair KIND of has one, but it seems more like it's on a timer than a trigger, so it feels more like a part of the table than a mode. I'm lead to believe that Fantastic Four has one. I would expect Blade has one (after being unbearably close to finding out ...), and Iron Man MIGHT, but I'm not so sure given how that table works.
    Rome might also have one, given the notion of 'Frenzy', but none of the other core tables do. I've never 'beaten' Earth Defense or Excalibur to know them either.

The tables are out and they are good. Discuss!

Only played Ghost Rider and X-Men so far.

The former is okay. I find it small and repetitive. Not likely to keep my attention all that long.
    The latter is possibly the best table in the game. I really look forward to playing more X-Men.

Cantido wrote:
    I will buy all my tables a third time. Except for SSF2 and the original four. Fuck those tables.

Glad I'm not the only one. I started out playing the four core FX2 tables, then moved down to Speed Machine... blech. Major downgrade from, say, Biolab. That one's so damn fun.

Also, I now regret throwing my name out there for leaderboard comparisons. How are some of you people possibly getting 150 million?

Heh, on what? We host a few good 'tier gaps' around here. Cloda is among maybe the top 10 players on XBLA. I'm ... about 60 or something? Or I was pre-V&V launch. Boognish and Celloriffic are a bit lower down the totem from there, and after that it's a lot more of a balanced free for all.

Ghost Rider: I really like that the table has the courtesy of turning on the ball save in that center ramp. For those on 360, one of the original Zen Pinball tables was El Dorado, and it had this target that would knock the ball right down the drain due to poor design. Mission activation revolved around hitting the damn thing over and over, so this was a nice touch. This table is not the best, but it breaks Zen's curse of "extreme roads and wheels" tables being really shitty (Extreme, Speed Machine, and V12) all suck badly.

Moon Knight: As I said I know nothing about this mooninite but I had an absolute blast with this table. It is currently my favorite. The long "cutscenes" before missions start will become obnoxious with players though. Very noob friendly, fast and and rampy. It reminds me of Mars with how "open" it is, but moves much faster than Mars.

Thor: Another fun table. Not the best table, but certainly the manliest. And most fun to make custom soundtracks for:
    Thread title needs joke about Thor's manly balls.

• Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    Yeah I want to learn more about Moon Knight now, I am having a lot of fun with the table and I find the villians to be interesting. X-Men also is very fun to play. Ghost Rider is kind of strange, and Thor is in the middle because I was having trouble triggering missions but still racking up points with some sort of shot on the left side under the bumpers.

Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
    Thoughts after a bit more play last night:

Thor - Oh God, my eyes bleed. Granted this can be a 'specific to my monitor' thing, but given that generally my monitor has awesome performance I'm skeptical ...
    I didn't spend a lot of time with Thor because of how hard it was to look at. Overall it didn't seem hugely interesting, although there is some cool playing around with fire and ice stuff. Probably the worst table in the pack (but time will tell).

Moon Knight - I get the feeling people will like this one a lot, and given the lead designer's confessed love of Moon Knight, it's pretty clear how much extra attention this table got. Perhaps the most cinematic and narrative-driven table we'll ever see. It CAN have an amazing flow to it, so that works in its favour. Lots and lots to do on such a small area. Overall a welcome addition. I'd note that this is not a table to be played when you're tired, because too many things happen too quickly. I lost 3 balls in under a minute on this one due to a far too easy to make left-flipper reversal that bounces the ball straight down the left outlane. Even the kickbacks barely give you a chance to react given how fast the ball is going. Again, make sure you're awake.

Ghost Rider - Feelings haven't changed much. It's a mid-range table, not being exception in either good or bad ways. Feels very small despite being a medium size. Again, lots of tasks are rather repetitive because there aren't a lot of targets or tricks on this one.

X-Men - Probably more repetitive than it originally seemed to me, but still holds strong as the best table in the pack by leaps and bounds IMO. Biggest things to realize are that most 'normal' things, such as kickbacks and holding multipliers, are unlocked on this table by assembling the team. In this respect it is unique, and requires a finessed approach. Modes are all over the place and varied, and nothing seems too hard or too easy to do. Pretty sure this is where I'm going to spend the majority of my time with this pack.

Debate and discussion welcome!

Heh, on what? We host a few good 'tier gaps' around here. Cloda is among maybe the top 10 players on XBLA. I'm ... about 60 or something? Or I was pre-V&V launch. Boognish and Celloriffic are a bit lower down the totem from there, and after that it's a lot more of a balanced free for all.

Here I'm thinking Pasha, where some lucky bastard managed to get 180 million.

So what tables are good to pick up? I'm seriously meh about the original FX pack but really dug the core FX2 pack; own the original Marvel pack but haven't dug into it yet.

I'll have to redo my list of 'all tables in order of ranking' at some point. We've gotten enough new ones it's warranted.

Both Marvel packs are excellent. The FX2 core pack is decent (some like it more than others - I find only Biolab and Rome are noteworthy, although many like Pasha). Captain America and Ms. Splosion Man are good tables, although having gone back to Captain America a few weeks ago, it's a brutally unforgiving table sometimes (and could still use a patch to fix those bridge issues ...) so I wouldn't recommend you start there. Sorcerer's Lair can be quite good for someone who hasn't played everything (it's not an overly original table, basically). I still think Earth Defence and Excalibur are good tables, although they can be quite hit/miss with people.
    I would avoid the original core pack (I know you already have it), Nightmare Mansion (too boring), Rocky and Bullwinkle (the only table I don't have), Street Fighter, and Fantastic Four. None of these are particularly good tables.
    Mars and Paranormal are sort of middle-ground. I would recommend Paranormal before Mars, and personally don't like Mars at all. But some do, so you really just need to try it to find out. Believe it or not, I've actually only played 2 games on Paranormal. The 2nd game took a combined 3 days or something ... overall probably 16 hours of play time. I think the table is a lot more fun when you AREN'T able to keep the ball going that long. Knowing I would need to basically repeat that to even TRY and break my score is also horribly off-putting when it comes to playing that table now.
    Can't say I can think of anything else. If I've forgotten it, it's probably not a great table.

Really, if you own either (or both) of the Marvel packs, I would put your time there. I think it's generally the best of what Zen has put out.

cloudeagle wrote:

So what tables are good to pick up? I'm seriously meh about the original FX pack but really dug the core FX2 pack; own the original Marvel pack but haven't dug into it yet.

Earth Defense is a wide, rampy blast. It's launcher is just a button and you shoot the robot on the dot matrix screen.

If Paranormal is still free, grab it.

Mars is my absolute favorite table. It's very open and easy, but is slowly paced. It goes into higher points than any tables, but is dependent on missions. Like Iron Man but not as hard. Mars is a very noob friendly table.

Oh, and although Pinball FX2 is superior to Zen, Zen has the better launch controls but here is what you do. Change the controls so that you have a launch button on A and RT. RT is analog, and by using it, you'll never miss a Skill Shot.

Ah, thanks guys. Good call on the launcher.

At least I got the original pinball pack (and the rest) while it was on sale.

cloudeagle, added you to the OP.

edited December 2011
    If and when Zen puts tables on PC, I'm probably going to rebuy them all.

Over and over. I just hope they're presented in the style of FX2 rather than Zen. I don't understand why Zen doesn't just overhaul Zen Pinball's menu interface.

My god....its the perfect business model. Some classy gent gifts you a table, thn your hooked for life. :D

Cantido on
    Cantido wrote:
    If and when Zen puts tables on PC, I'm probably going to rebuy them all.

Over and over. I just hope they're presented in the style of FX2 rather than Zen. I don't understand why Zen doesn't just overhaul Zen Pinball's menu interface.

My god....its the perfect business model. Some classy gent gifts you a table, thn your hooked for life. :D

Hopefully they go up through Steam. A gifting bonanza it will be!

edited December 2011
    Thor and Ghost Rider have retarded launchers. In Thor, I can't land a skillshot for the life of me, because I have nothing to guage visually. Its somewhere in between the 3rd nord rune and 4th rune being lit. Awful.

"I used to be a Pinball Wizard on the Thor table, until a deaf dumb and blind kid shot me in the knee"

Moon and Xmen are okay, but they're still pretty weird. I don't know the difference between me getting 200k and 500k on Xmen.

Cantido on
  • CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    First off, Cantido: Congrats on the Ms. Splosion Man! I love that table to pieces, and the final "battle" to free Splosion Man is a lot of fun.
    cloudeagle wrote:

Yo. Turns out that if you manage to trigger multiball, lock all three "treasures", and then do it again on the same ball, the rewards are INSANE. 20 million the first time around, 50 million the second.

And to be fair, I'd been fighting to beat Ratsult on Pasha since, well, the launch of Pinball FX2. Isn't that about right?

Table recommendations: Ms. Splosion Man has a momentum to it that's a blast to play. I'll echo recommendations for Excalibur and Earth Defense as well. But heck, just download the trials and fiddle with the tables until one or two time/point limits are reached. You'll usually know if you want to play more or not.

On to the new tables! Ghost Rider isn't grabbing me, but I'm hooked on Thor and X-Men. Moon Knight is utter madness in pinball form with the ramps that become catches and a skill shot I can't figure out and a shooting gallery and levelling up and taxis and... I need to play that table again. Just can't pull myself away from Thor or X-Men.
    Cantido wrote:
    I don't know the difference between me getting 200k and 500k on Xmen.

When you launch the ball, you get points depending on how far it travels before coming back down. Just past the gate is 100K, middle is 200K, almost out the top is 500K. Heck, I've actually hit 2 pop bumpers on launch, had it travel back down the side and earned the 500K skillshot.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    And to be fair, I'd been fighting to beat Ratsult on Pasha since, well, the launch of Pinball FX2. Isn't that about right?

... I don't want to talk about it...

Really though, it helps if you can beat the minigame things on Pasha. I know on my big run, I earned a few extra balls and just started going through all the missions.

X-men really grabbed me. The others seem good enough, but I only had time for a game or two on each.

• BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    I haven't had much time with them, either, but I know they were all interesting to me in some way. Thor is a bit painful on the eyes, although I did get used to it by the end of my first game. No other complaints so far. Hopefully, I'll get some time to really focus on these tables over the weekend.

3DS: 5026-4424-9805
    Also, I don't play Excalibur because the ball is sexually attracted to the side gutters.