As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Be a god for free

2»

• Options
    chryanchryan Registered User regular
    VoproSTEIN wrote:
    When you first get 10 chains, are you supposed to be able to go through all 10, and then instantly have 10 more? It seems like the power regens very quickly at that point. So quickly it's just instant chaining after the first one ends.

It's intended to be that way. That level is special :)
    Fyndir wrote:
    I guess what was getting to me was how easy it was to spam a group of 4 to death, then back to a torch to refill my chains, because even if I took a bit of damage before getting to a torch I could heal up a few seconds later with another chain use to take down a few people, but if you guys are happy with it then I'll happily roll with it.

We've had some playtesters do that quite a bit too so we tried making it more difficult, but that ended up causing others to get frustrated with the game and rage-quit, lol. When you get around to playing on the hard difficulty, do let me know if you find it more fun/challenging because I personally think that that's the way the game should be played.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    As far as these complaints and suggestions go, I do know that they tested a lot of different scenarios when arriving at the current build. Not to say that such suggestions and critiques aren't welcome or useful, just saying that the current status of the build is anything but arbitrary.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    As far as these complaints and suggestions go, I do know that they tested a lot of different scenarios when arriving at the current build. Not to say that such suggestions and critiques aren't welcome or useful, just saying that the current status of the build is anything but arbitrary.

I don't mind explaining some of the design decisions we made related to any suggestions. We're planning on updating the game down the road so we definitely want as much feedback as possible to make the next iteration better!

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    man, this is FUN!

• Options
    man, this is FUN!

Glad you like it! :)

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    chryan wrote:
    When you get around to playing on the hard difficulty, do let me know if you find it more fun/challenging because I personally think that that's the way the game should be played.

Hard was absolutely much more fun, I had to actually think about what I was doing instead of just being able to spam through most fights and run away, haven't finished hard yet because I needed to sleep, but it was definitely an improvement for me.

A+ game. :^:

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I thought this was gonna be f2p black and white

that's what I thought it was too

man

I would give anything for something like that

except without the asinine "humor" and the creature mechanic

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    anyway yeah this game looks cool too

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    P.S. I left it up overnight and managed to upload 272MB at an average speed of 5.5kb/s.

I guess that's enough that I can leave it up and be helpful.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    2.95 MB/s download 8-)

Hmm, but only 30.1 kB/s upload

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Oooooh, best thing ever, best thing ever, best thing everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Especially Rankenphile for posting on these forums.

You guys are amazing and the team's thrilled by the positive response!

• Options
    E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 hellRegistered User regular
    I'm already a God.

Love me.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    rankenphile tell your friends that changing my mouse pointer to a hand on their website is 90's as hell

• Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    The jump from Normal to Hard seems to be pretty extreme. I can't get past the second level now!

It's badass.

• Options
    Fyndir wrote:
    Hard was absolutely much more fun
    Glad the Hard mode didn't disappoint! :)
    Shorty wrote:
    rankenphile tell your friends that changing my mouse pointer to a hand on their website is 90's as hell
    lol
    VoproSTEIN wrote:
    The jump from Normal to Hard seems to be pretty extreme.
    It is quite a huge jump. We wanted to call it Insane and add another difficulty level in between and call that one hard instead... We'll look into that for our next update :)

• Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I just wanted to pop out of lurk mode and say

I saw the concept art on the walls at DigiPen and I was like wtf your artists are SPOILING THE MARKET

Cause those are some pretty awesome textures and I love how the meshes are low poly and stuff but the texture work is really amazing, so hats off to the artists on the team.

EDIT: yes, I'm late. Sue me, I was busy :X

sonictk on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Question!

While the game is fun, and pretty different from most games I've played (at least as far as the gameplay mechanics go) I gotta wonder; Is this just your guys' way of testing the engine for a much bigger game down the line? I'm hesitant to believe you'd build your own engine just to give it away for free.

Not that the design seems extremely deep, but I have seen free games before that were just simpler versions of something else in the works.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited January 2012
    sonictk wrote:
    so hats off to the artists on the team.
    I take my hat off to them all the time :D
    Goatmon wrote:
    Question!

While the game is fun, and pretty different from most games I've played (at least as far as the gameplay mechanics go) I gotta wonder; Is this just your guys' way of testing the engine for a much bigger game down the line? I'm hesitant to believe you'd build your own engine just to give it away for free.

Not that the design seems extremely deep, but I have seen free games before that were just simpler versions of something else in the works.
    The game is a student project so the engine we built was a requirement and unfortunately, our school owns the rights to all the work we've done for the game so we can't just use all of it for something else. It was intended to be a learning experience for all of us, not to mention the biggest project that any of us has been involved with so far. The engine is still good enough for us to push out more content for the game down the road and it's definitely something we're looking at doing over the next few months (maybe some kinda DLC, since that seems to be the trend these days :P).

That said, we would really like the chance to develop something like this on a larger, professional scale if we get the chance. Maybe if Valve hires us to do it ;)

EDIT: Happy New Year to everyone, by the way!

chryan on