As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[StarCraft2] Trash micro but win--is marine.

• BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    f nydus yo

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    @Dhalpir What iPad app do you use for twitch/justin.tv? I can only find iPhone ones, which look p. terrible in "2X" mode.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Trunkers wrote:
    Can we stop discussing macro and start discussing things like user names?

I had a guest pass smurf that I played Random with under the tag "AynRandom". Looking for sufficiently awesome names for the other races.
    Wait for it...
    mkwztf.jpgBumped into this 'tard while quitting my way down to silver.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote:
    Trunkers wrote:
    Can we stop discussing macro and start discussing things like user names?

I had a guest pass smurf that I played Random with under the tag "AynRandom". Looking for sufficiently awesome names for the other races.
    Wait for it...
    mkwztf.jpgBumped into this 'tard while quitting my way down to silver.
    Man, Franberra. What a smurf! :P

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    I am having a terrible time with building placement when I ffe. I always seem to misplace my first pylon so it either blocks my nexus or forces me to put my gateway in a suboptimal position. Does anyone have any replays from Meta, Shattered or Shak with proper building placement and timings? Tal'Darim and Antiga would be helpful as well, but I seem to struggle less with those, maybe because there's more room to work with?

• chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    Actually, I've been having trouble with building placement on antiga, i think it is in the 9 o'clock position.

Awful to try and get a sim city going with it, seems like a bad position for Terran to spawn in on that map. :p

No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm at a LAN today. Streaming random stuff. Going to play a few sc2 games on korea in a sec.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Did I already mention I'd like to participate in the tournament? Because I'd like to participate in the tournament.

Narwhal#1834
    edited December 2011
    narwhal wrote:
    Did I already mention I'd like to participate in the tournament? Because I'd like to participate in the tournament.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/5mn2cbjhq6

put your name.race

more info like date-time through that link

Biosys on
    woop woop playhem open

time to get crushed

• mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Shakuras needs to be removed from the map pool. There is no way to beat a competent Terran in a split map situation. I remember Idra was playing treefOu on it the other day and he spent 20 minutes trying to break the Terran's position with wave after wave of broodlords and ultras. He slowly whittled down tree's SCV count until finally he was able to overwhelm with his ultras. It was pretty ridiculous.

Actually now that I think about it, snipe just needs to be nerfed.

whyyyyyy

why is it always zvz in these tournaments

ach well

socal regionals starting soon for anyone interested in fighting games here:

• CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    mEEksa wrote:
    Shakuras needs to be removed from the map pool. There is no way to beat a competent Terran in a split map situation. I remember Idra was playing treefOu on it the other day and he spent 20 minutes trying to break the Terran's position with wave after wave of broodlords and ultras. He slowly whittled down tree's SCV count until finally he was able to overwhelm with his ultras. It was pretty ridiculous.

Watching GSL it was disheartening to see how easily MMA controlled the area with Siege tanks/reapers on high ground. Granted it was some really good play but it seems to be anti zerg considering Protoss can also throw colossus up there and they don't really have an equivalent. Or maybe it balances out some other way, I'm not the pro-est.

Dancing Bagel
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    I love where things come together and you go 7-3. It makes up for the times where you get dicked.

Also, 7 out of 10 games last night were ZvZ. This brings my running total to 13 of the last 17 games as ZvZ.

Cut it out, Blizzard.

• KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    Paradiso wrote:
    I love where things come together and you go 7-3. It makes up for the times where you get dicked.

Also, 7 out of 10 games last night were ZvZ. This brings my running total to 13 of the last 17 games as ZvZ.

Cut it out, Blizzard.

Everyone switched to zerg because literally 90% of the SC2 role models are zerg. The foreign ones anyway.

• HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    Is there any chance someone could look at this replay and tell me what I am doing wrong in my TvT? A decent number of my games end up like this and it's pretty painful to get decently ahead only to throw it all away.

http://replayfu.com/r/DmLCVc

After stopping his initial cheese, I think I did a fairly decent job of setting up a contain just outside his natural. I couldn't quite kill his natural CC but it was taking a few hits from my siege tanks. My aim was then to keep applying pressure and macro up a little. I should probably have got more bases up but despite that I still had a much larger army than him and was fairly sure he didn't have any secret CCs anywhere else on the map.

From my perspective, I just couldn't get through his wall of siege tanks. On reviewing the replay, I had his army really low at one point but didn't know that was the case so couldn't capitalise on it. This meant that all I felt I could do was sit there and wait for him to try and attack my main force which clearly he was never going to do.

In the end I didn't manage to scout his massive bunch of proxy barracks. He took out my base as my army was out in front of his base and then I tried to base trade only to get destroyed by siege tanks.

Obviously scouting the barracks would be the main improvement but beyond that I am stumped. I can't break the guys siege tank line and on 2 bases there's no reason why he can't macro up to 200/200 with the minerals just from those bases.

Any comments would be much appreciated!

• KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Hedwirez wrote:
    Is there any chance someone could look at this replay and tell me what I am doing wrong in my TvT? A decent number of my games end up like this and it's pretty painful to get decently ahead only to throw it all away.

http://replayfu.com/r/DmLCVc

After stopping his initial cheese, I think I did a fairly decent job of setting up a contain just outside his natural. I couldn't quite kill his natural CC but it was taking a few hits from my siege tanks. My aim was then to keep applying pressure and macro up a little. I should probably have got more bases up but despite that I still had a much larger army than him and was fairly sure he didn't have any secret CCs anywhere else on the map.

From my perspective, I just couldn't get through his wall of siege tanks. On reviewing the replay, I had his army really low at one point but didn't know that was the case so couldn't capitalise on it. This meant that all I felt I could do was sit there and wait for him to try and attack my main force which clearly he was never going to do.

In the end I didn't manage to scout his massive bunch of proxy barracks. He took out my base as my army was out in front of his base and then I tried to base trade only to get destroyed by siege tanks.

Obviously scouting the barracks would be the main improvement but beyond that I am stumped. I can't break the guys siege tank line and on 2 bases there's no reason why he can't macro up to 200/200 with the minerals just from those bases.

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Just from reading the summary, we can assume scouting is your problem. But I am going to have a look see at this here replay.

But before I do, remember this one thing. In the game of TvT, he who is the most patient wins. If it ever comes to a macro game, you rest assured the guy who just stays on his siege contain, and keeps his opponent from ever expanding, ever, will win. Or from doing anything else, but respond to the siege contain.

edit: replay not found

Keamien on
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the offer! Patience is not my strong point sadly. It would be good to know if this and scouting are the only issues or whether I am doing something else stupid.

Still trying to upload the replay!

Hedwirez on
  • Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    ZvZ is the best mirror match, I think. TvT tends to take forever. PvP can be alright, but it's really touchy about perfect forcefields in the early game, and can be a bit random.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    PvP is a year+ behind the rest of the game because of the fundamental 4 gate changes
    TvT takes forever
    ZvZ seems arbitrary from a non Z

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited December 2011
    TvT makes me want to switch race!

Also, managed to upload the replay! http://drop.sc/75548

Hedwirez on
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    let me get in on this "analyze my TvT" business

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=246570

should have won, was ahead for a while etc.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    On hedwirez' replay:

Giving it a brief watch, unit composition was a bit weird. It seems like nukes or Banshees would've been a good idea. You could've been harassing his main's mineral line while he was trying to defend the expansion.

Instead you focused on trying to outmicro his siege play, which is incredibly difficult when he already has the high ground and the closer production structures.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    ZvZ is the best mirror match, I think. TvT tends to take forever. PvP can be alright, but it's really touchy about perfect forcefields in the early game, and can be a bit random.

ZvZ is going to kill me someday soon. Literally. My heart will just explode from the stress of speedling/baneling micro.

In other news, I opened up my Saturday morning paper and found the main article in the Business section is about video game streaming, I thought that was kinda cool. Starcraft isn't specifically mentioned, though there's a quote from djwheat: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/17/BUHP1MBM6P.DTL

Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
    Bethryn wrote:
    On hedwirez' replay:

Giving it a brief watch, unit composition was a bit weird. It seems like nukes or Banshees would've been a good idea. You could've been harassing his main's mineral line while he was trying to defend the expansion.

Instead you focused on trying to outmicro his siege play, which is incredibly difficult when he already has the high ground and the closer production structures.

Would you suggest adding another Starport and making Banshees after I set up the contain? I tend to try and play as straight up as possible, as a) I suck and can't do lots of things at once, and b) I assume I would end up getting fewer Vikings if got Banshees so wouldn't I lose air control?

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Hedwirez wrote:
    TvT makes me want to switch race!

Also, managed to upload the replay! http://drop.sc/75548
    I don't understand how that bronzer has higher apm than me.

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Dude I have like 90 real APM on a good day. APM is pretty much worthless as any kind of metric.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Yeah if thats all I was interested in doing I could do 300 apm. And would lose every game

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Sometimes my eapm is OVER ONE HUNDREEED!!1!
    Yeah apm is pretty unimportant

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    Hey so I'm just now getting to the GSL Blizzard Cup VODs. Is it worth buying the 2012 ticket for $99 or is the whole GSTL thing being up in the air cause for concern?

Should I just do the $9.99 cup ticket? Almost doesn't seem worth it compared to a whole year...

1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Personally I think ZvZ is the worst mirror match in a competitive sense, as it is now the most coin-flippy of the three. TvT is the best mirror match in that it promotes long macro games and lots of multitasking, and if you win a TvT you probably outplayed your opponent. It can get boring though for the same reasons.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    GSTL up in the air? What?

• exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    GSTL up in the air? What?

It's not listed in any of the annual passes. I just bought the $99 2012 GSL pass, though.

Seems GSTL will only be available on a separate ticket or the monthly premium (which comes out to over $400 for the year).

1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
    edited December 2011
    Eh, that's annoying.
    I think they're dreaming if $400 is their idea of a reasonable price for GSL and GSTL.

<edit>I support esports, but $400 is prohibitively expensive.

chuckleberryfinn on
    OremLK wrote:
    Personally I think ZvZ is the worst mirror match in a competitive sense, as it is now the most coin-flippy of the three.

No no no. Least. You meant least.

In all fairness I can understand how it would look that way to someone who doesn't main zerg, but it's so, so, so easy to scout your opponent and play reactively aside from a few unscoutable-but-weak cheeses that aren't even really viable.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote:
    @Dhalpir What iPad app do you use for twitch/justin.tv? I can only find iPhone ones, which look p. terrible in "2X" mode.

i just searched for twitch.tv under the app store

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Cutfang wrote:
    mEEksa wrote:

Watching GSL it was disheartening to see how easily MMA controlled the area with Siege tanks/reapers on high ground. Granted it was some really good play but it seems to be anti zerg considering Protoss can also throw colossus up there and they don't really have an equivalent. Or maybe it balances out some other way, I'm not the pro-est.

not the same thing at all, colossus are revealed when they shoot from highground, siege tanks are not.

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    how is it so quiet in this thread? anyone get a chance to take a look at my clusterfuck replay?

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote:
    OremLK wrote:
    Personally I think ZvZ is the worst mirror match in a competitive sense, as it is now the most coin-flippy of the three.

In all fairness I can understand how it would look that way to someone who doesn't main zerg, but it's so, so, so easy to scout your opponent and play reactively aside from a few unscoutable-but-weak cheeses that aren't even really viable.

Meh, I've heard a lot of top-level Zergs, such as Idra, say they think it is coin-flippy in the early game. Basically, what I think is that the longer a game goes on, the more chance that the best player will win, and ZvZ are often pretty short.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited December 2011
    OremLK wrote:
    kedinik wrote:
    OremLK wrote:

Meh, I've heard a lot of top-level Zergs, such as Idra, say they think it is coin-flippy in the early game. Basically, what I think is that the longer a game goes on, the more chance that the best player will win, and ZvZ are often pretty short.

As much as I think NesTea is somewhat overrated, I promise that he wouldn't go something like 90% in Code S ZvZ if the early game were straight-up rock/paper/scissors and the outcome hinged primarily on those blind openers. It just isn't / doesn't. IdrA loves to whine.

kedinik on