As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWcolonTOR] Damage Thread: I find your lack of DPS disturbing.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Do you hate healing to the point where you want to eliminate all possibility of being forced into it?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SpenzkriegSpenzkrieg eh's a pretty cool guy Registered User regular
    No. I have a Commando healer and do pretty well with him. I have no aversion to healing and will do that in flashpoints but mostly prefer the adage that the best defense is a good offense. Pretty much want each of the "holy triad" so it's basically between the Gunslinger and Sentinel.

RS: Eide
    RC: Ais
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    So, what's the difference between cunning and aim? I have an imperial agent, and cunning seems to be the "it" stat, yet aim also gives bonuses to hit/range damage.

Color me confused...

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    different classes get their main boosts from different stats. Agents use Cunning, Hunters use Aim, Warriors use Strength and Inqs use something else.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    hoodie13 wrote:
    different classes get their main boosts from different stats. Agents use Cunning, Hunters use Aim, Warriors use Strength and Inqs use something else.

Yep - and Aim will give you bonus ranged damage, as well, but at a lesser rate (IIRC) than Cunning, and, for you, it won't provide bonus Tech damage (whereas, for Troopers / BHs, it will).

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Thinking about scrapping my scoundrel to re-roll as a gunslinger. I'll be using this as a solo build but will be rolling the standard thoroughfare of FPs and will want to do PvP and raids end-game.

Thoughts?

Do it. I'm gonna make a Sniper (the Imperial version of the gunslinger) myself.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Melkster wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Thinking about scrapping my scoundrel to re-roll as a gunslinger. I'll be using this as a solo build but will be rolling the standard thoroughfare of FPs and will want to do PvP and raids end-game.

Thoughts?

Do it. I'm gonna make a Sniper (the Imperial version of the gunslinger) myself.

Gotta say, had a lot of fun with my Sniper last night in pvp. Racked up some big damage numbers, objective points, kill counts, and all this coupled with stupid low death counts (1 or 2 deaths per match compared to the half dozen or more I normally have with my BH)

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm contemplating creating a Bounty Hunter, but I'm debating between the two ACs. Primarily, I'm curious if anyone has any experience with DPSing as a Powertech with the Pyrotech trees? I primarily ask, as I would prefer ranged damage to the Powetech's melee range DPS tree, but the option to respec and do some tanking would be nice.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    SolidFoxSolidFox Registered User regular
    So far through 20 lvls I am frustrated with my marauder as range DPS in the low levels has the habit of killing things before my force leap lands. I hope it gets better as right now I feel like I am bringing a knife to a blaster fight.

• Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    I've gotten pretty good at the sniper, a decent rotation of ambush, snipe, explosive drone, corrosive dart and the regular attack keeps me above 60 energy which ensures fast regeneration and a high damage output. I can boost this a little by chaining snipe and then coming back with adrenaline probe.

I'm having a hard time using suppressive fire effectively though, in groups people always run around like spastics when there's a big group of mobs to use it on.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Assassins and Sorcerers both use willpower.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Can someone tell me why these Assault Cannons all have cunning on them, and not Aim? Is that a bug?

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Gotta be, same reason that there's an assault cannon on the commendation vendor on Dromund Kaas when none of the Empire classes can use them.

• Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    My SI is finally starting to feel powerful. Going back and forth between lightning and madness and if I'm looking at it right madness is the superior of the two trees. Still early in the game though so who knows

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Demiurge wrote:
    I've gotten pretty good at the sniper, a decent rotation of ambush, snipe, explosive drone, corrosive dart and the regular attack keeps me above 60 energy which ensures fast regeneration and a high damage output. I can boost this a little by chaining snipe and then coming back with adrenaline probe.

I'm having a hard time using suppressive fire effectively though, in groups people always run around like spastics when there's a big group of mobs to use it on.

This is pretty much what i'm doing. Which tree are you putting points in? I went with the tree on the far left and got points in snap shot, and the armor penetration for ambush. Being able to drop into cover and fire off a quick snipe is really useful especially if i have to move around a lot. I find that using explosive drone at precisely the last fraction of a second in my chargeup for ambush allows my ambush to actually trigger the explosive drone for a big burst of damage. I use charged shot for weak mobs when I'm just running around and chain snipe when I need to burst down a single target using adrenaline probe to get me back up to around 50-60 energy.

I'm looking forward to getting follow up shot but it's pretty high in the tree :(

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm not really sure which tree to go down with my mercenary. Nothing really pops out to me. Is there any real difference? Does one focus more on AoE or something?

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    Demiurge wrote:

This is pretty much what i'm doing. Which tree are you putting points in? I went with the tree on the far left and got points in snap shot, and the armor penetration for ambush. Being able to drop into cover and fire off a quick snipe is really useful especially if i have to move around a lot. I find that using explosive drone at precisely the last fraction of a second in my chargeup for ambush allows my ambush to actually trigger the explosive drone for a big burst of damage. I use charged shot for weak mobs when I'm just running around and chain snipe when I need to burst down a single target using adrenaline probe to get me back up to around 50-60 energy.

I'm looking forward to getting follow up shot but it's pretty high in the tree :(

Yep I went marksman too, I'm eagerly anticipating followup but for now I'm happy enough where I am. I can solo decently enough but I've found that with a bounty hunter I can literally lay waste to entire armies as they aoe a bit to get aggro and I just snipe my way to victory.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bcZGGbrddMoMsZG.1

is what I'm going for on my Sentinel.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I'm having fun with my Sniper, but I've just got to come to terms with the fact that on anything that isn't a boss, most of the tools in my arsenal take too long to be useful.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So. I did in fact reroll my Scoundrel (only played until about 12 or 13) as a Gunslinger.

My eyes are full of stars.

Spenzkrieg on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure which tree to go down with my mercenary. Nothing really pops out to me. Is there any real difference? Does one focus more on AoE or something?

Pyrotech is the shared tree, right? If so, that's probably meant to be your PvP tree. It'll have talents that would be good in PvE, but you'll probably notice a lot of defense, endurance, and CC resistance type skills in there. That's how focus is for Jedi Knight.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Oh okay. Thanks. I don't really have any interest in PVP, so I guess I'll stick with the arsenal tree.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Currently rocking the DPS Merc. It has been solid DPS so far on the flashpoints I've run. Single target DPS has been the easiest. It's pretty much use Tracer Missile to 5 stacks, then Powershot. Using Rail Shot and Unload whenever they are off cooldown. Things get a little more interesting with AoE. I find that since I've been duoing almost the entire time, I rarely use anything but Death from Above and [The Targeted Gun Sweep Thing]. Fusion Missile only sees use on groups of elites, and though flame thrower is nice, by the time I can get into position to use it.. I could have already been firing [The Targeted Gun Sweeping Thing].

Also, agro. I don't know which classes get solid AoE threat generation. But a Merc would dominate the damage in that group. Cause right now, I know I would have died multiple times if it wasn't for Energy Shield. And thats with waiting a couple of seconds before firing. We just have sooo much aoe damage. I would actually say I think there is a bit of skill bloat as far as AoE.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    Vanguard any good?

Seems like fun to run in with a big weapon and mow people down

im finishing the install of the game today and will jump in tonight!

• Options
    Vanguard any good?

Seems like fun to run in with a big weapon and mow people down

im finishing the install of the game today and will jump in tonight!

Do you mean Commando? Vanguards are relegated to using rifles while Commandos get the BFG9000.

• Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I guess i mean Commando

:D

How are they?

I thought Vanguards have the BFG, as per the descriptions on page 1

Vanguard/Powertech: Front-line brutes that pack real stopping power. Pretty much give up most range capacity for nastier weaponry. Use an Ammo/Heat meter that either drops (Ammo) or builds up (Heat). Functionally the same, however, and your regen gets worse the lower/higher your Ammo/Heat is. Can also spec for tanking.

Commando/Mercenary: Ranged classes that utilize explosives and rifles to take down their targets. Same resource system as the other ACs, they have some healing capabilities and can spec for such.

FlipprDolphin on
  • Options
    cptrugged wrote:
    Also, agro. I don't know which classes get solid AoE threat generation. But a Merc would dominate the damage in that group. Cause right now, I know I would have died multiple times if it wasn't for Energy Shield. And thats with waiting a couple of seconds before firing. We just have sooo much aoe damage. I would actually say I think there is a bit of skill bloat as far as AoE.

I can't speak for anybody but the Jedi Guardian, but right now I have force sweep on a 15 second CD, and a hell of a lot of tab targeting. AoE threat is not unlike a TBC Warrior at level 25. At level 30 I get AoE taunt on a fairly short CD, and Cyclone Slash which is basically a focus spender that hits 5 guys. It'll be better then, but I have grouped with DPS troopers in 4 man heroic quests, and they can definitely pull off me with AoE if they want.

Of course, part of that is the fact that when running a heroic 4 man, if you're fighting groups of 4 elites, you need to be focus firing them down and not just blindly AoEing, but the average person out questing clearly doesn't know that. I've already been teaching people that the green lightsaber is the kill target, and the yellow star is getting force lifted, lol.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess i mean Commando

Vanguard/Powertech: Front-line brutes that pack real stopping power. Pretty much give up most range capacity for nastier weaponry. Use an Ammo/Heat meter that either drops (Ammo) or builds up (Heat). Functionally the same, however, and your regen gets worse the lower/higher your Ammo/Heat is. Can also spec for tanking.

Commando/Mercenary: Ranged classes that utilize explosives and rifles to take down their targets. Same resource system as the other ACs, they have some healing capabilities and can spec for such.

The Vanguard fights at closer range and from what I've seen, carries a weenie rifle and then whips out a shotgun maybe when they do some specials? All I know is the Commando looks amazing with their giant gun, but I want to tank when I do my trooper alt. /wrists

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Posted in the other thread, but does anyone else have the bug where your "use the cover bar" preference does not stay unchecked after death or logging?

Fucking annoying.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Of course, part of that is the fact that when running a heroic 4 man, if you're fighting groups of 4 elites, you need to be focus firing them down and not just blindly AoEing, but the average person out questing clearly doesn't know that. I've already been teaching people that the green lightsaber is the kill target, and the yellow star is getting force lifted, lol.

And that's where I think the skill bloat becomes a problem. The AC is literally begging me to throw out 2 targeted AoEs and two Missiles. And the funny thing is, I can get those elites to around half or below in that volley. It just seems like such a waste to be relegated to single target when I have 5 AoE skills. I guess if I felt the single target rotation was anywhere near as interesting as the choices you make for AoE, it wouldn't feel so lack luster design wise.

But then again, this is all musings of someone in the low 20s. It may completely turn around at higher levels.

• Options
    I guess i mean Commando

:D

How are they?

I thought Vanguards have the BFG, as per the descriptions on page 1

Nowhere in the Van/PT does it say they use a BFG. Vans use rifles and PTs use a single pistol.

Commandos use the Assault Cannon which is just awesome. They can still use rifles... but why would you want to? Also, Mercenaries can't use rifles at all... they use double pistols.

• Options
    Posted in the other thread, but does anyone else have the bug where your "use the cover bar" preference does not stay unchecked after death or logging?

Fucking annoying.

Yes, I find that supremely annoying.

Also the fact that Corso Riggs re-enables that damned harpoon. Dude, I want to stay AWAY FROM MELEE ENEMIES, you jackass.

• Options
    Spenzkrieg wrote:

Fucking annoying.

Also the fact that Corso Riggs re-enables that damned harpoon. Dude, I want to stay AWAY FROM MELEE ENEMIES, you jackass.

The options don't stick in most cases. "Show Sith Corruption" is constantly being checked, and I hate it.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    cptrugged wrote:
    Currently rocking the DPS Merc. It has been solid DPS so far on the flashpoints I've run. Single target DPS has been the easiest. It's pretty much use Tracer Missile to 5 stacks, then Powershot. Using Rail Shot and Unload whenever they are off cooldown. Things get a little more interesting with AoE. I find that since I've been duoing almost the entire time, I rarely use anything but Death from Above and [The Targeted Gun Sweep Thing]. Fusion Missile only sees use on groups of elites, and though flame thrower is nice, by the time I can get into position to use it.. I could have already been firing [The Targeted Gun Sweeping Thing].

Right now I'm just spamming Tracer Missile, since I don't have the talents to buff Unload and Rail Shot. From what I can tell, Tracer Missile cannot miss or be deflected by jedi and does as much or more damage than Power Shot (which can miss) for the same heat cost and cast time.

Also, Tracer Missile seems to scale a lot better. In warzones. Tracer's tooltip is showing 2k damage and Power Shot is showing 1.4k.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    cptrugged wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:

And that's where I think the skill bloat becomes a problem. The AC is literally begging me to throw out 2 targeted AoEs and two Missiles. And the funny thing is, I can get those elites to around half or below in that volley. It just seems like such a waste to be relegated to single target when I have 5 AoE skills. I guess if I felt the single target rotation was anywhere near as interesting as the choices you make for AoE, it wouldn't feel so lack luster design wise.

But then again, this is all musings of someone in the low 20s. It may completely turn around at higher levels.

Yeah, part of it is it's actually more DPCT for you to AoE 4 guys, then that's what you're going to want to do. However, if tanks are balanced around not being able to hold agro through it at your level, you kind of have to either single target anyway, or just hope you live. Once my guard hits 32 and I have AoE taunt plus cyclone slash, I wouldn't even be concerned about it any longer.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    hoodie13 wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:

Fucking annoying.

The options don't stick in most cases. "Show Sith Corruption" is constantly being checked, and I hate it.

Yeah, you have to disable it every time you zone or summon him
    Same with having to turn off the Cover Bar every time I log
    I hardly fight out of cover anyway, so having a different bar is pointless for me

Thankfully I have my wookiee now, and he doesn't seem to have any dumb skills
    Bow before Bowdaar!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote:
    hoodie13 wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:

Fucking annoying.

I hardly fight out of cover anyway, so having a different bar is pointless for me

Bow before Bowdaar!

I can't wait to have a freakin' melee tank. Is Bowdaar very survivable on his own?

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Turambar wrote:
    hoodie13 wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:

Fucking annoying.

Bow before Bowdaar!

I can't wait to have a freakin' melee tank. Is Bowdaar very survivable on his own?

First off, sorry to hear you didn't like Scoundrel. It's certainly grown on me.

Corso's harpoon is amazing for Scoundrel. Traq the biggest threat in a group, back up, then have him pull the second highest threat to us, we then melee it down and then pull another to us if they aren't in our face already. It works like a charm.

As far as Bowdaar goes, he appears to be a much better compliment to GS's than Scoundrels. He tends to run into a group and aggro/dmg everything. Often times breaking any pre-fight CC. Because of this my strategy with him has been "Traq the guy farthest from where I'm going to send Bowdaar in" as opposed to Corso's "Traq the biggest threat". Sadly, I didn't have much in terms of Heavy Strength gear on me when I got him, so between that and his inability to play nice with CC, I've not really used him too much. I would think once you gear him a bit, he'd be the perfect guy for a GS.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Can anyone speak to the playstyle of Operative a bit? I was leaning Sniper for my IA, but I'm always a little iffy rolling a pure DPS class.

• Options
    Decoy wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Turambar wrote:
    hoodie13 wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:

Fucking annoying.

Bow before Bowdaar!

First off, sorry to hear you didn't like Scoundrel. It's certainly grown on me.

Corso's harpoon is amazing for Scoundrel. Traq the biggest threat in a group, back up, then have him pull the second highest threat to us, we then melee it down and then pull another to us if they aren't in our face already. It works like a charm.

As far as Bowdaar goes, he appears to be a much better compliment to GS's than Scoundrels. He tends to run into a group and aggro/dmg everything. Often times breaking any pre-fight CC. Because of this my strategy with him has been "Traq the guy farthest from where I'm going to send Bowdaar in" as opposed to Corso's "Traq the biggest threat". Sadly, I didn't have much in terms of Heavy Strength gear on me when I got him, so between that and his inability to play nice with CC, I've not really used him too much. I would think once you gear him a bit, he'd be the perfect guy for a GS.

The switch was equal parts:

* I already play a Commando, so, I didn't want my 2 mains to be the same exact role.

* There was, at the time, a sickeningly huge number of tanks/healers and no DPS.

* I wanted pewpew x2.

Glad to see that. I'm perfectly happy with a good tank. Especially one I can control.