As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dungeons of Dredmor: Conquest of the Wizardlands now available!

• AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    Anyone have a bug wherein autosaves aren't recognized? I Saved and Quit yesterday, and loaded up today to get nothing on the Load Game screen. I can see the save in my Documents folder, though.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Oh wow. I finally had a GOOD run of the game. Died on floor...Seven or so? as opposed to THREE. I think I finally found a build I can work with.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Frem wrote:
    Shimshai wrote:
    Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think a crafting system where you need to find totally random recipes is a really bad fit for a roguelike. It takes such a confluence of factors to actually be able to make anything elaborate- you need to (1) Have the right specs for crafting, (2) with enough points sunk into them, and (3) the right skills to benefit from the crafted object, and (4) stumble across the right uncommon ingredients, and (5) stumble across the recipe itself (6) at a level where it's actually helpful to do so, and not "yeah that would've been nice to make three floors ago I guess but it's crap to me now."

I concur.

+1.

Hopefully someone will mod this soon. Assuming somebody knows how to mod the game.

If you started out on your first character with no recipes, and they were unlocked for all future characters as you played? For a sort of meta-progression thing? That could work. That's what I initially thought this was when I heard about the change.

This sounds absolutely perfect to me. Encourages lots of death, but allows learning from said death, while still stopping the wiki abusing.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Had a couple good games last night. One of them I got to the second floor(yes, I tend to die early) and the first room that I opened there was a monster zoo, managed to channel them to a spot where I could only be attacked from above and below, worked my way through about 20-30 monsters before having 3 boss mobs converge on me at the same time, didn't survive that.

Second game I went with an unarmed build and it worked out pretty well, got up to the third floor where I ran into a boss that somehow took me from 20 health to 0 in one hit, the combat log showed a double attack which hit for over 30 damage, if I expected that to happen I could have survived by using a potion.

The crafting system to me seems odd as well. Is the only way to make higher level items to spend skill points in your craft? Any time that I've taken blacksmithing I have all the materials for some of the basic stuff but can never make them, seems like a waste of a skill up since taking combat skills heavily outweighs the armor upgrade.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    Anyone know of a wiki(like) site that has *up-to-date* info on skills? All that I am finding don't show half the skills and I'm not sure the ones they show are all correct either.

steam_sig.png
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Have you checked: http://www.dredmorwiki.com/wiki/Skills

It appears to be up to date to me.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So any thoughts on the expansion stuff?

Werediggle seems pretty potent for a melee skill

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    One pretty cool thing is that sidequest items and enemies show up on the map if they're in an area you've already visited. Saves a lot of backtracking plus it means I'm much more likely to take on a quest even if I've already cleared most of a floor.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    Thankfully, that's not the expansion doing that. That's actually from the update. Which is a godsend, since before I never finished any of the sidequests, because I never payed attention to what was on the dungeon floor.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    heenato wrote:
    Thankfully, that's not the expansion doing that. That's actually from the update. Which is a godsend, since before I never finished any of the sidequests, because I never payed attention to what was on the dungeon floor.
    I always finish sidequests. That's another piece of guaranteed magical gear. To be later defiled by Krong.

Seriously, though. Most of my best endgame gear comes from finishing the Sidequests on the later floors. Now with the crafting nerfs, I may just ditch crafting entirely and depend on the randomly rolled Sidequest gear, especially since there are more gear slots.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    The amount of enchants you get on quest items toward the end is indeed ridiculous.

steam_sig.png
  • AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    Welp.

That was a ridiculous run. Became impossible to kill around floor 6 or 7. I think the final Ley Line skill is bugged, it doesn't cost anything.

Time to do Going Rogue, I guess!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    heenato wrote:
    I always finish sidequests. That's another piece of guaranteed magical gear. To be later defiled by Krong.

Seriously, though. Most of my best endgame gear comes from finishing the Sidequests on the later floors. Now with the crafting nerfs, I may just ditch crafting entirely and depend on the randomly rolled Sidequest gear, especially since there are more gear slots.

Yeah, not sure if I even want to take Alchemy now that I have to hope to get lucky and get a good Orb recipe.

Seems at that point I'm just as likely to just find the orbs as I play.

Asharaxx wrote:
    Welp.

That was a ridiculous run. Became impossible to kill around floor 6 or 7. I think the final Ley Line skill is bugged, it doesn't cost anything.

Where did you find so much absinthe and Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters? Is it possible to make them now?

steam_sig.png
  • AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote:
    Asharaxx wrote:
    Welp.

Where did you find so much absinthe and Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters? Is it possible to make them now?
    On something like floor 10 or 11 onward, nearly every room had three of each on the floor. I'd have had more, I didn't start picking them up until a floor or two after I realized it wasn't stopping.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    My score in Going Rogue Permadeath is still safe, by a rather large margin too, c'mon guys you can beat it.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Any opinions on the demonology tree? I gave it whirl, but died on floor 5 before I could invest more than 2 points in it :(

The hunter tree is waaaaay cool. Until they fix the cooldown on a certain skill, then it's gonna be crap :P

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    I was really hoping the "You are the demons" ability was actually a polymorph, but sadly it's just a passive buff. And the ability to summon demons is ridiculously dangerous to yourself. It drains your health like MAD. As such, I never got to see what the end of the tree is.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote:
    I was really hoping the "You are the demons" ability was actually a polymorph, but sadly it's just a passive buff. And the ability to summon demons is ridiculously dangerous to yourself. It drains your health like MAD. As such, I never got to see what the end of the tree is.

Damnit. Was hoping the summon demon thing might be a good buffer for my caster builds. Oh well.

Capture.jpg~original
    I wish they had learned that "high risk high reward" stuff in Roguelikes is terrible when nobody used Necronomiconomics

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    I wish they had learned that "high risk high reward" stuff in Roguelikes is terrible when nobody used Necronomiconomics
    I think it's fun. It adds a lot of spice when you get it as a random skills roll, especially when you learn to use it effectively. Roguelikes aren't about streamlining your build to be the absolute best... it's about making do with what you've got. I do agree that picking Necronomiconomics probably will make your game tougher.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote:
    My score in Going Rogue Permadeath is still safe, by a rather large margin too, c'mon guys you can beat it.

What's your score?

Squidget0 wrote:
    SkutSkut wrote:

What's your score?

• Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Victory!

Edit: Has anyone else found the Diggle God of Secrets yet? Pretty sure the buff it gives is one of the best buffs in any game.

highscore-1.png

Squidget0 on
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Dodge is now worse than worthless. The random ports kill me every time.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    Dodge is now worse than worthless. The random ports kill me every time.

I would only go down to knightly leap, 8 more dodge for the downside of randomly teleporting all the time is just not worth it to me.

steam_sig.png
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Swashbuckling, the second skill in Piracy is still worth it despite the first skill in the tree being bugged and not currently doing anything.

Its mad awesome.

• TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    ok, so I got the expansion, but I can't pick any of the new trees, what gives :(

• -Ke--Ke- Registered User regular
    TheOrange wrote:
    ok, so I got the expansion, but I can't pick any of the new trees, what gives :(

I think the recommendation at Gaslamp Games is to restart your steam client if you haven't since installing the game/expansion. If that doesn't work, uninstall/re-install (I think your save games won't get erased, but you might want to make a copy of My Documents\Gaslamp Games just in case).

If still no go you can report it to Gaslamp Games on twitter: http://twitter.com/gaslampgames here they seem to be pretty good at responding to people.

steam_sig.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Wow, were-diggle is awesome. FInally a skill at level 1 I can actually USE.

Just how good was the fireball before it got nerfed a while back? Because it's still ridiculously good.

Also love all the new items they've put in, and the tweaks they've made to rares/quest rewards. It's amazingly overpowered!

steam_sig.png
    Shimshai wrote:
    Just how good was the fireball before it got nerfed a while back? Because it's still ridiculously good.

Also love all the new items they've put in, and the tweaks they've made to rares/quest rewards. It's amazingly overpowered!

Instead of being a projectile you casted it on the square you wanted it on, did a bit more damage and burned for about twice as long.

SkutSkut wrote:
    Shimshai wrote:

Instead of being a projectile you casted it on the square you wanted it on, did a bit more damage and burned for about twice as long.

Obvious fireball is still great. In vanilla pre-patched it was insane: with just a little spellpower it scaled well enough to rape anything in the game.

Capture.jpg~original
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I just picked up the DLC for this with the winter steam sale for like a dollar. I haven't played this game in about 3 or 4 months, so excited to start up again!

Melee Werediggle build, here I come!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Note to self: Don't mess around with ghost spacemen, they'll kill you in one hit.

Damnit, that was my first real good run going too. Was getting ready to actually leave the first floor, and figured, "Hey, I havn't tried stepping on that Mysterious Portal yet..."

And that was with having level 3 Vegan powers, too. Hooray for mostly doing Random skills every game.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote:
    Note to self: Don't mess around with ghost spacemen, they'll kill you in one hit.

Damnit, that was my first real good run going too. Was getting ready to actually leave the first floor, and figured, "Hey, I havn't tried stepping on that Mysterious Portal yet..."

And that was with having level 3 Vegan powers, too. Hooray for mostly doing Random skills every game.

Hah! I died to a Mysterious Portal today. I had just cleared out my first monster zoo, and I saw one and I thought "looks cool, what's the worst that could happen?"

NOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

In other news, Swords have been nerfed to uselessness and Maces are still as badass as they always were. I cleared out all of level 1 and most of level two, including a zoo, and had no difficulties whatsoever WITH MY STARTING MACE.

Oh, quick question. Is there any negative to picking the "smaller levels, but same experience" option at the start? Does it decrease your score at all?

PMAvers wrote:

Hah! I died to a Mysterious Portal today. I had just cleared out my first monster zoo, and I saw one and I thought "looks cool, what's the worst that could happen?"

NOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

In other news, Swords have been nerfed to uselessness and Maces are still as badass as they always were. I cleared out all of level 1 and most of level two, including a zoo, and had no difficulties whatsoever WITH MY STARTING MACE.

Oh, quick question. Is there any negative to picking the "smaller levels, but same experience" option at the start? Does it decrease your score at all?

The only negative I've noticed with smaller rooms is less drops, less shops.

SkutSkut wrote:
    The only negative I've noticed with smaller rooms is less drops, less shops.

After playing a few games with smaller rooms, I've come to the conclusion that that's a pretty significant negative. I've had two runs so far where I was specialized in a specific weapon type, and never saw a single weapon besides my starting one until level 3 or 4. That's pretty huge.

Also, is Vampirism broken? It doesn't seem to be working against Undead or Blobs. Is that intended? Because if so, I don't see how Vampirism can be viable. I got to level 3 on a Vampirism build and died to a zoo because I wasn't healing off the monsters at all.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm thinking I need to drop vampirism on my next character, because 3/4 of the mobs I encounter are immune. Managed to get past my first zoo by using psychic shove, while avoiding hitting diggles and bats because I needed to heal off of them.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Any good starting builds for a new player? I realize anything would work, but I don't know all (any) of the mechanics for the game as of yet.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster