As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Souls/Demon's Souls "Sen's Fortress and the Temple of GODDAMMIT!"

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    There's a way you can save him if you plan to do another playthrough.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Oh neat, how would I do that?

Definitely doing another playthrough, think I'm close to the end now. Had one try of four kings last night, managed to get 2 down. Think I need to switch back to my lighning spear for it and just go all out. Would help if Beatrice casted faster though.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    join the chaos servant, get up to rank 2 by giving the spider firekeeper 40 humanity, and use the shortcut you unlock in the demon ruins to get to izalith early. kill all of the little bugs you find in the tunnel before fully crossing over into izalith. then fight the centipede demon. if you did it right, solaire should be where he normally is at that point and depressed but not insane. then you can summon him for the final boss fight.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Hah! Made Ornstein and Smough my bitches. On the first try, no less. I was sweating bullets based on how everybody goes on about them, especially since I also wanted to kill Ornstein second which is apparently rape mode. And I guess it could have been, but my general overlevelness saved my ass. His "instant kill" move wasn't. Only did maybe 30-45% damage. I was still quaffing potions like mad, and at the end was resorting to using humanity to heal. But then I found out maybe a bit too late that even then it's easy to dodge. Just had to be right on him, and if he tried it, to roll towards him and he'll wiff every time. After that, he went down like a punk. The only hard part was that I only had a lightning spear, which seemed marginally more effective than a toothpick, but I still managed to whittle him down.

I'm probably acting a lot more cocky than I have any right to be. But man that felt kinda good. :D

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I had a tought time with them at first, but once you learn them their tells are super obvious and not too difficult to dodge.

The worst death I had on them was a failed strong thrust with my Astoria greatsword, managed to time it wrong and moved forward just as Ornstein jumped up and lightning squished the life out of me. I imagine my fellow sunbro host was laughing his ass off.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Part of the problem with that fight is how Ornstein glitches spells a lot. Anytime he dodges or does a lunging attack spells will just not hit him. It can make it a little annoying.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Going to get my trophies done tonight probably and then I think I'll be done for a bit.. maybe it's time for some Disgaea 4!

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Inker2000Inker2000 Registered User regular
    is there a mimic helmet in this game? after beating a boss, my phantom buddy's head turned into a mimic.

• Options
    yes

• Options
    Yeah, it's a rare drop from the mimics called Symbol of Avarice.

• Options
    there's a way to basically guarantee you'll get it

when you find a mimic, attack it and wake it up

then throw a loyd's talisman at it

it should sit down and open itself up, revealing the item it normally drops when killed

grab that, and then continue throwing loyd's talismans at it until it shows another item, which should be the helm

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    You odn't need to attack it first, just start lobbing talismans at it.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    If I go to NG+ without using boss souls for weapons etc. will I lose them? Basically, what carries over?

• Options
    You only lose keys, lava ring, sif ring and embers at blacksmiths. There's probably more things you lose, but those are the ones that leap to mind.

You keep your boss souls, all the brave warrior/proud warrior etc souls, consumables blah blah.

• Options
    you lose your smith and repair boxes, but you keep the bottomless box and the master key (so buy one from domhall if you haven't already)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Do weapons scale up on a NG playthrough?

As in are the weapons you find more powerful that what you would get on your first playthrough?

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    no.

• Options
    That's good then, won't have to farm too much before finishing my first run for the upgrade cheevos.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    in demon's souls I bought soul arrow but I have no idea how to use it... also thanks to their whole making the world white christmas event i was finally able to get over to the execution grounds in 1:1. Now the only thing I have left to do in 1:1 is that damn red eyed knight and whatever's past him.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    in demon's souls I bought soul arrow but I have no idea how to use it... also thanks to their whole making the world white christmas event i was finally able to get over to the execution grounds in 1:1. Now the only thing I have left to do in 1:1 is that damn red eyed knight and whatever's past him.

You need a catalyst to cast spells, you can find one in 1-2 and two in 3-1. Leave the Red Eye Knight til way later, ain't nothing for you there until you acquire the Mausoleum Key.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Shen wrote:

You need a catalyst to cast spells, you can find one in 1-2 and two in 3-1. Leave the Red Eye Knight til way later, ain't nothing for you there until you acquire the Mausoleum Key.

ok... Hmm I guess I should do 1-2 next. beat the armored spider then I couldn't really decide what to do and that's when I found out white tendency opened up the execution grounds of 1-1 so I figured I'd finish up that area.

• Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    New glitch in Dark Souls. If you fill up all 10 character slots and create a new character over one with a bottomless box, upon getting the bottomless box on your new character it will have everything the original character had in thier box.

EDIT: I have NOT confirmed this personally.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Woooo Four Kings done, thats all of em.

Pretty sure I'm at end game now, so does anyone know of a good weapon/upgrade or general achievement guide? Would like to get as much done before I move onto NG as possible.

• Options
    CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    Does the infinite Snuggly 'sploit still work post patch on the 360?

jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    So, just picked up Dark Souls yesterday. Any pointers on where to stick attributes for a Faith based build (beyond the obvious). Where should things be going first off? Something along the lines of a fast attacking/med-light armored/knightesque character?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you might want to pick one of dex or strength to be your main weapon stat

there are advantages to either one

or just play around and get the strength and dex you need to meet the requirements of the weapons you're interested in

vitality and endurance are always good stats to have more of

basically, just don't put any points into Int or Resistance

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So I've killed the Gargoyles, Capra Demon, Butterfly, and Taurus Demon (of course). I've rung the bell on top of the church. Where next should I focus my holy wrath?

I tried, New Londo, Rondo? Whatever. The place with the ghosts. Two words for that; FUCK GHOSTS. How do I damage them outside of consuming those transient curse thingies. I only had two of them when I went down there and they got me to the first Fog door.

Over in Darkroot I opened the big door with that thing you get from the Blacksmith, however the numerous human enemies make that side of the door a bit hard.

Found the Catacombs, but it is dark as fuck and something down there kills me quick as hell.

Also went to the Valley of Drakes, but didn't spend a whole lot of time snooping around. Went in to the cave about as far as the first enemy. I killed him, but it was a bit too long of a fight for my tastes.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    the cave is where you need to go, it leads to blighttown and the second bell that you need to ring

• Options
    What's with looking like a zombie after dying? How do I remedy that?

• Options
    that's hollow form

to become a human again, you need to have humanity (any number above 0 in the counter next to your life bar), which you can get from killing enemies, having your messages rated up, or by using a consumable humanity item and then spend that humanity at a bonfire with the Restore Humanity option

in human form you don't look like a zombie, you can summon people if you find their signs, and you can be invaded by other players and, in a few areas, special NPC invaders

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    that's hollow form

to become a human again, you need to have humanity (any number above 0 in the counter next to your life bar), which you can get from killing enemies, having your messages rated up, or by using a consumable humanity item and then spend that humanity at a bonfire with the Restore Humanity option

in human form you don't look like a zombie, you can summon people if you find their signs, and you can be invaded by other players and, in a few areas, special NPC invaders

I have a small problem in that when I turn on the internet on my PS3, games load MISERABLY slow. I have no idea what causes it. Cut scenes stutter and it literally takes 5-10 times as long to load. I can't figure it out and I can't find anything on the internet about it. Thus, to make games playable, I can't use the online options. : P

• Options
    that's a shame, reading the messages other people have left and alternately fighting and helping people adds a lot

but on the other hand, at least you won't be tricked by messages telling you to jump where you shouldn't or killed by invaders who do their best to make pvp as unfair for their targets as a possible

• Options
    Oh fuck Blighttown! I hate you Nerdgasmic, I'm never playing this game again! Rhyaaaagh!

Okay, maybe one more try.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    I thought Blighttown was bad... then I found Sen's Fortress... after that was Tomb of the Giants. Now nothing seems scary anymore.

I find the trick with Blighttown is to have lots of moss ready, have a good shield, and pull in the mobs one at a time. For some reason it seems to be the easiest place to get mobbed if you're not careful. Also, whenever they raise both of their arms, back away immediately.

• Options
    The enemies I can handle. I do need more moss though. However all of that pales to what my true enemy is, the oldest foe known to gamers; the narrow ledge. :x

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Axen wrote:
    The enemies I can handle. I do need more moss though. However all of that pales to what my true enemy is, the oldest foe known to gamers; the narrow ledge. :x

I think I crawled through Blighttown quivering behind my shield and occasionally poking out with a spear. Nice thing about using spears with the shield raised: You don't take that dreaded step forward and into thin air. The extra reach of spears (specifically the pike) is also quite nice. Alternatively, just stand on a good broad platform and pull the enemies using a bow.

• Options
    If I die in the lava in Lost Izalith, does my soul marker go someplace special? Because I died near abouts the second tower, but it's not showing up anywhere. I'm wondering if I just can't see it in this horrible orange glow, but even doing a quick sweep of the general area where I died, I can't find it. And I had a fuckload of souls too.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    your bloodstain should be about ten seconds before where you died

• Options
    Nevermind, I found it. By pure luck. It doesn't stand out at all in the lava. So dumb.

• Options
    Ok, this might be a simple question, but to get the Knights Honor trophy, does 1 char need all the weapons or can they be spread across multiple chars, like with spells and whatnot?

This discussion has been closed.