As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STALKER 2 is dead

• rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    so it goes. 2011 has been quite the emotional roller coaster of a year.

In some ways, the cancellation of Stalker 2 can't really compare to the shutdown of GSC game world studios.

We have had 3 good stalker games, that territory, that adventure of the highest calibre.
    It only seems fitting, for all who enter, to leave so impacted.
    You may yearn to do it all again, but you can't.

Hopefully the developers will find new settings to bring to life. New rules to explore, new areas to adore.
    Goodbye Stalker, we certainly will miss you.
    Hello unknown future.

rRootagea on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    darleysam wrote:
    Okay, my mission will now be to get a PC that can handle all available Stalker games and the best mods, since this thread is just making me desperate to return to the Zone.

I can run SoC with Complete at 1440x900 with all settings maxed except static lighting and no AA on a single core Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz with 3GB of DDR and a 1GB HD 4670. I'll get anywhere from 20-90fps depending on where I am.

Lighting is the one area where you can increase your framerate considerably, without losing an enormous amount of visual quality. The Zone still looks ominous with static lighting.

SmokeStacks on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Isn't there supposed to be an official press release or something today?

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Official word is "we don't know," which is almost worse.

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    If it dies, then please let it stay dead.

I don't want some young whipper-snapper telling me that STALKER was shit before the revival, that I suck at videogames, and that I'm not worth pandering to.

:cry:

Edith Upwards on
    I wish I was an eccentric multi-billionaire.

I'd just buy the rights to the series, build a sweet office in the States, hire the members of the company, and then tell them "I will bankroll Stalker games for as long as you care to make them".

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Wasn't there a website where you could pitch startup ideas and have people vote on them to receive startup capital?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Monger wrote:
    Drake wrote:
    Official word is "we don't know," which is almost worse.

Maybe the GSC offices have been sucked in to an alternate dimension and even as we speak brave GSC employees are braving the nightmarish horrors of that world to set things right?
    Erich Zahn wrote:

I don't want some young whipper-snapper telling me that STALKER was shit before the revival, that I suck at videogames, and that I'm not worth pandering to.

In the distant future mankind is under threat from the Alien-Xenos. Humanity's only hope rests with a group of bio-engineered super-soldiers called STALKERS. On a secret mission to save mankind the STALKERS have been sent to the Alien-Xenos' homeworld of Grim-Brownia IV.

Coming Q2 2013, STALKER: Alien Holocaust Act I

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I purposely made myself walk across campus this morning, schools out until Jan. 3rd, just to get that, "I'm all alone and something is trying to get me", feeling.

Axen wrote:
    Erich Zahn wrote:

In the distant future mankind is under threat from the Alien-Xenos. Humanity's only hope rests with a group of bio-engineered super-soldiers called STALKERS. On a secret mission to save mankind the STALKERS have been sent to the Alien-Xenos' homeworld of Grim-Brownia IV.

Why does this keep happening? D:

edited December 2011
    Axen wrote:
    Erich Zahn wrote:

A trilogy in five parts.

iOS exclusive.

F2P supported by in game DLC store.

Featuring Nickelback's new hit single.

Made by Zynga

SmokeStacks on
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Axen wrote:
    Erich Zahn wrote:

A trilogy in five parts.

iOS exclusive.

F2P supported by in game DLC store.

Featuring Nickelback's new hit single.

Made by Zynga

Somewhere, someone honestly thinks this is a good idea.

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    alright, I'm still not sure what happened

I'm pretty sure the series was profitable

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Scary games like this and Dead Space really need a coop mode so I would actually play them. Or at least the option to have an AI buddy. Being alone messes with me too much psychologically, even if I know it's not a real person. Hence why I always have a companion in Fallout or Skyrim.

The sad thing is I bought both of those new but never played more than five hours in each.

alright, I'm still not sure what happened

I'm pretty sure the series was profitable

Exponential growth or a complete sale of assets.

Nobody wants to retire on long haul investing, it's all penny-pinching 401(k) horseshit.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Does this mean we'll never have a STALKER: Fukushima game either?

Just think of all the crazy Japanese anime shit that could happen when you throw in a little radiation.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:

Just think of all the crazy Japanese anime shit that could happen when you throw in a little radiation.

I hate to say it, but when that happened I did think "Stalker 3 in Japan?!"

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    BigDes wrote:
    Stalker multi would be cool if it was implemented like Dark/Demon's Souls

I just came in my pants

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Blendtec wrote:
    Beltaine wrote:

I hate to say it, but when that happened I did think "Stalker 3 in Japan?!"

Not gonna lie, that came to mind too. It'd undoubtedly be in poor taste (barring someone handling it extremely carefully), but the mind can't help but wonder.

A better question might be whether this will have a similar cultural effect over time. The circumstances differ greatly, but the consequences might leave some of the same marks. Of course the Soviets were never really a model of efficiency, but Chernobyl shattered any possibility that they knew what they were doing. I know little about the Japanese government other than they've gone through about six prime ministers in five years, but as I understand it TEPCO was notoriously prone to groupthink. In this, I think there's some common ground: a perception that life has just been fundamentally altered, and people are going to be screwed for years as old power blocs gradually break up and reform around it.

I think that's part of why you see stuff like Roadside Picnic: science fiction focusing on life-altering events that people on the ground don't fully understand, populated by characters drawn to them for one reason or another - either they just need food money, or they feel there's no place for them in the rest of the world. Reminds me of the Eurogamer review of STALKER, describing how the lack of strong characters actually works in the atmosphere's favor; who would venture into the Zone besides damaged, distant, or opportunistic people? Could be years before we see a straight-up fictional work centered around Fukushima, but it wouldn't surprise me to see elements of the aftermath working into Japanese fiction going forward.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    I don't know if this is what the stalker devs had in mind, but as I understand it outside of a video game context "the zone" to a Russian is presumed to mean the gulag. I've always suspected that the idea (which was well realized in Stalker) of the environment itself being hostile might be a cultural artifact of all that time spent under totalitarian rule.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Well, "The Zone" as a term for that particular area is simply short for "Chernobyl Exclusion Zone" and long predates STALKER, so it's probably looking too deeply for a meaning.

Although I always like the term Zone of Alienation. It sounds incredibly eerie, oppressive, and -- well -- alien, just like you would imagine things would be there.

Zxerol on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Zxerol wrote:
    Well, "The Zone" as a term for that particular area is simply short for "Chernobyl Exclusion Zone" and long predates STALKER, so it's probably looking too deeply for a meaning.

Although I always like the term Zone of Alienation. It sounds incredibly eerie, oppressive, and -- well -- alien, just like you would imagine things would be there.

Also the act of getting into the Exclusion Zone (which is still a fucking awesome name) and exploring the old buildings has always been called stalking. So there is that too.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    Yes, but I believe if you talk to a Russian and just say "the Zone," they'll think you're referring to the gulag, not Chernobyl or anything related to it.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Yes, but I believe if you talk to a Russian and just say "the Zone," they'll think you're referring to the gulag, not Chernobyl or anything related to it.

But Chernobyl is in Ukraine.
    Nerd burn.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    Damn, I was looking forward to running around and making people mad by pulling my gun out in their face.

Oh well, looking forward to the many amazing mods that will surely spawn from the community.

• WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    I think the word "zone" was used in Roadside Picnic and the Tarkovsky film adapted from it (Stalker), which both came out before the Chernobyl incident in 1986, so it seems unlikely that it is in reference to the exclusion zone. At least, not solely referencing that.

Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3

But Chernobyl is in Ukraine.
    Nerd burn.

This morning I awoke with no memory and only one entry in my PDA: "Kill Ninja Snarl P"

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    BRING IT.

Better bloodsuckers than you have tried.

And won so many times.

• DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    Keep an eye on LURK, gentlemen :)

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Nothing instilled in me the utter fear of the dark combined with the later adrenal spike of knowing the monster is coming right now and you now have to pull out the knife and take it the fuck down now or you will die.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Whatever happened to those dudes who were rebuilding the Zone in Crysis?

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Daemonion wrote:
    Keep an eye on LURK, gentlemen :)
    Some of you may be able to guess how stoked I am right now.

If you cant... well, I'm pretty stoked.

edit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4AghJ9dJDs

Monger on
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:
    Wasn't there a website where you could pitch startup ideas and have people vote on them to receive startup capital?

There is:
    i-FKNNKxh-L.jpg

Is there some rumor that involves LURK? Out with it

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
  • DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what I'm allowed to spill, but yours truly is working on some pretty neat audio stuff for the next versions of LURK :)

I'll post some samples here when I've got things up and running.

• big lbig l Registered User regular
    Daemonion wrote:
    I'm not sure what I'm allowed to spill, but yours truly is working on some pretty neat audio stuff for the next versions of LURK :)

I'll post some samples here when I've got things up and running.

Make every character say "Get out of here, Stalker!" all the time.

• RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    Waldo wrote:
    I think the word "zone" was used in Roadside Picnic and the Tarkovsky film adapted from it (Stalker), which both came out before the Chernobyl incident in 1986, so it seems unlikely that it is in reference to the exclusion zone. At least, not solely referencing that.

Yeah the Tarkovsky-film is what I have always thought of.
    If you actually sit trough the shitty black& white beginning, it is a fascinating film too!

76561197968655073.png