As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Does netflix care if you share an account?

zktzkt Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'd like to share an account with someone who lives in the same city as me. Will netflix do anything to prevent this?

zkt on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Streaming? Nope. I don't know what technically the TOS says though.
    I don't know if regular changes to your mailing address would raise any flags.

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    In terms of technically preventing it, probably not. In terms of do they care/is it unethical/potentially illegal, probably. Which is why you shouldn't.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Technically, you're only allowed to stream to one device at a time with their basic streaming account, FYI. I don't know when or if they'll ever decide to start actively enforcing this, though.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Basic streaming only is like $9, is that really a huge bar?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I use Netflix on several different computers without any problems.

Not sure I've ever done it at the same time, though... (like girlfriend in the living room, me upstairs or something like that).

But, yeah, it's $7.99/mo. If you can't swing that, your priorities shouldn't be anywhere near "do I get Netflix?", in my opinion.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Relevant FAQ:
    Q:
    Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix-ready device?
    A:
    Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Unlimited Streaming plan, the Unlimited Streaming + 1 DVD out-at-a-time plan or a limited streaming plan, you may watch only one device at a time.
    If you are on the Unlimited Streaming + 2 DVDs out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the Unlimited Streaming + 3 DVDs out-at-a-time plan may watch on up to three devices at a time. The maximum is four devices at a time -- available for members on the Unlimited Streaming + 4-or greater DVDs out-at-a-time plan.

Depending on your plan, you may be able to watch on multiple devices.

Also
    YOU MAY INSTANTLY WATCH ON UP TO SIX UNIQUE AUTHORIZED NETFLIX READY DEVICES.

So you can spread it across six devices, but only certain plans allow you to use them simultaneously.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote:
    Relevant FAQ:
    Q:
    Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix-ready device?
    A:
    Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Unlimited Streaming plan, the Unlimited Streaming + 1 DVD out-at-a-time plan or a limited streaming plan, you may watch only one device at a time.
    If you are on the Unlimited Streaming + 2 DVDs out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the Unlimited Streaming + 3 DVDs out-at-a-time plan may watch on up to three devices at a time. The maximum is four devices at a time -- available for members on the Unlimited Streaming + 4-or greater DVDs out-at-a-time plan.

Depending on your plan, you may be able to watch on multiple devices.

Also
    YOU MAY INSTANTLY WATCH ON UP TO SIX UNIQUE AUTHORIZED NETFLIX READY DEVICES.

So you can spread it across six devices, but only certain plans allow you to use them simultaneously.
    They say this on their site, however, historically, I have been able to stream on my computer and have my roommate stream in the living room at the same time without a problem.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    At work (24/365 IT helpdesk. long, boring, nights) we had one we used to share. Eventually they told the guy who owned it to knock it off or they'd cancel the account. But I think in addition to us using it at work, he used it at his house, and several of his friends used it also.
    But yeah, seems like worst case scenario is they tell you to stop.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Netflix cares.
    They might not be doing anything about it that we've heard about but they obviously care.
    and it's $8. Don't enable your buddy to be a deadbeat. Netflix needs money for Arrested Development.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Because of how Netflix is configured, they don't want to penalize people who happen to leave a window open on their desktop and are watching it in their livingroom, or people who pause their TV, turn it off, and then forget about it, and then get pissed off when Netflix says "Sorry, you're already using Netflix" and they can't remember what they were doing.

But they definitely are aware when an account is streaming to multiple devices. They currently categorize this loosely as "household," but they CAN restrict viewing and they CAN cancel your account if you share an account.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    i would bet if they catch you streaming at the same time from multiple IP's, they will drop the hammer. But a) they have to catch you, and b) they will most likely warn you first.

However, I'd just cough up the 7.99 if i was you/your buddy. they are a good service and don't deserve people trying to rip them off.

• Options
    LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
    Me and my fiancee share an account, we've both been streaming to our phones at the same time... even when she was out of the state for school she'd use my log in at her dorm to watch movies and we never had a problem.