As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2011 - Get with the gifting!

• Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GiftGet.gif

I came home from work today and there was a box waiting! I'll leave it to helper Layla to help me open it.
    IMG_0212.jpg Not sure if ok....

IMG_xxx.jpg] I guess it's safe
    IMG_0217.jpg My god it's full of awesomeness
    IMG_0218.jpg Open this one first

At this point I got excited and just started opening stuff and forgot to take pictures.

But here's the haul.
    IMG_0222.jpg Layla is also super excited

Woopie Pies, Which are already gone and were delicious.
    Halo Risk, I'm a huge risk fan. This will get played soon.
    Complete Firefly series! I'm a huge Serenity fan and I've seen a few episodes, I'll probably watch all of them this weekend.
    FireFly Posters! I love wall art.

You didn't include your name but thank you. I've had a lot of losses this year and this is going to be my first Christmas alone but this present brought a smile to my face and a few manly tears. Thank you who ever you are.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Gaslight wrote:
    But even more tantalizing was the peculiar typed note affixed to the wrapping paper, which I fortunately had managed to notice and preserve in my ripping and tearing.

FVEFt.jpg

Oh my... a Playfair cipher
    I MUST CRACK IT. THE LURE IS IRRESISTIBLE.
    Gaslight wrote:
    Proxy had, several days ago, relayed to me a message that the "key" is my Santa's name

Aha! A clue!

Gaslight, you will have my report within the week. Quick, to the BLACK CHAMBER!
    Dammit, I need to transcribe this blurry crap first...

ConnoQuicksilver on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ha! Glad I've provided you with a diversion, @ConnoQuicksilver, although Santa may think it cheating if you figure it all out for me. I can probably take a clearer picture if you like just for the fun of it. I'm not much of a student of cryptology myself, although I've always enjoyed reading about it even when I don't necessarily understand what I'm reading. I've heard of a Playfair cipher, but to tell the truth I haven't had a spare moment to sit down and examine the message closely so far, and a Google/Wiki search for more famous cipher schemes would probably have been my starting point.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Those Firefly posters are pretty fantastic.

If your Santa is looking I'd love to know where they got them.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    THERE EXISTS A HALO RISK?

I MUST HAVE IT

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    Ha! Glad I've provided you with a diversion, @ConnoQuicksilver, although Santa may think it cheating if you figure it all out for me.

Heh, I'll just do it because I'm a crypto nut (although a very amateur one...). If I crack it, I'll keep the plaintext to myself unless you can't figure it out, then I'll give you some hints (if your Santa obliges, of course). Like any true cracker, the puzzle itself is my prize, not it's contents.

I've already identified it's type, so there's a good starting point for you.

(I really hope there's not a Steam code in there, and someone else cracks and gets it first... that would be the very definition of a Grinch. Stay classy PAers!)

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    those posters are pretty fantastic.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Uh-oh. I've sent my Santee a gift through Steam. My identity will soon be revealed! Nooo! Secrets! I need youuuuuuu ...

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Is... is that Kraft Macaroni and Cheese wrapping paper?

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    hark! A package!
    GiftGet.gif 2: ELECTRIC BUGALOO
    2011-12-20174939-1.jpg

clearly, my Santa hired a bowl of noodles to travel the world collecting data:

On the world's most dangerous street fighters!!!

2011-12-20175058.jpg
    This is awesome, I was just about to pull the trigger on buying the udon compendiums, now it's official-- I have to own everything udon has ever done for the street fighter franchise.
    Also, for the record, this one came right out of left field. I didn't mention anything about my unhealthy love of all things back alley combat sports, clearly some stalking the earlier street fighter threads must have happened.

Thanks again, magnificent Santa-person whose forum name escapes me at the moment!

edit: and once again, I have one gift version of the humble introversion bundle up for grabs (I bought it before checking to see if my santee already had it), PM me for the code if anyone would get any use out of it.

edit: WHOOPS. I'm sooooo gon'get raped by a psycho internet killer now. Thanks a lot Santa! Also, thanks @LewieP's Mummy for ruining the surprise

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I love the gift and all but is that a Saitek eclipse?

I love those!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    oh it's a blackwidow ultimate. I got it when my Eclipse finally gave up the ghost.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote:

Yes, it is elbow macaroni wrapping paper

In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    oh it's a blackwidow ultimate. I got it when my Eclipse finally gave up the ghost.

Also excellent! I had an Exlipse until my dog spilled water on it, and now I have a Razer keyboard as well! Typing in style!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    hmm wrong thread

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    GiftGet.gif

I had to make sure that my ever-so-reliable bomb-sniffing dog expected the package first, just in case the Grinch managed to try and trick me
    CIMG1222.jpg

Now on to the glorious contents:
    CIMG1224.jpg

I guess my user picture gave away my love for GoT, thanks I really wanted these but I knew that as soon as I would get them I'd kinda spoil Season 2 ... well too bad, now that I got them as a gift onwards I go!

CIMG1227.jpg

Yesssssssss, I really wanted Skyrim but I was forcing myself to wait till I was done with Gears. Well Gears, time to take a break since I have holiday break coming up!

CIMG1228.jpg

As I said before @BradicusMaximus, an absolutely epic haul, thanks again!

I looooved those books. I didn't actually start reading them till halfway through season 1 of Game of Thrones. While it did spoil the show there are a lot of things that they kinda skipped over, or even toned down such as some of the scenes with their dogs. Also sorry if I didn't really adhere to your list. The books were a given but I saw you post in a G&T thread about getting Skyrim but you were a little iffy about it. I was so nervous when I sent this. I would've been a sad panda had you already purchased the game.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    @acidlacedpenguin you do know the whole world (well the PA world) can see your address? Did you intend that?

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    @acidlacedpenguin you do know the whole world (well the PA world) can see your address? Did you intend that?

It's so anyone who wants to can send him more Christmas cheer! Or stalk him, in real life. Outside his window, looking in.
    217490106_k2hSR-XL-2.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    Well, looks like I spoke too soon because...

GiftGet.gif

So, lets do this.

A wild package has appeared!
    GSFFJh.jpg

I don't have cats, so I lure my dogs with dog food.

Opening said package reveals...
    jVjluh.jpg

Another hale card!

But this one feels heavy for some reason
    gnrXgh.jpg

A-ha! We will return to this later

Let's see what else is inside the box!
    oKspGh.jpg

TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK. I forgot where I kept my stash of moltovs. That's too bad, guess the dogs will have to fight him off (not really, they would shred this to pieces).
    jbA5Gh.jpg

oooo! TF2 trading cards! I need to figure out what to do with these...maybe we can do a magic draft with them. mwahahaha
    UwjFPh.jpg

The sacrifice! it's a collection of Valve game related comics, L4D/TF2/Portal 2. This shall provide many hours of excellent reading.
    UB9uuh.jpg

Just a sample page for your perusal.

And last but not least (by far).
    ZWrlHh.jpg

A PAINTING!

Yep, my santa made me a painting. A heavy and medic enjoying a nice time on the beach, while the Saharan Spy acts cool. (PS he totally is).

In the mean time, my dog kept himself entertained
    fPV6qh.jpg

And what was on the USB Drive you asked?
    EuFSm.png

Time to work this puzzle out...after I pack for my flight.

But first, let's get that bad boy hung up
    H6fllh.jpg

Ahh yeah. that looks fantastic. It's almost as if that empty spot above my desk was calling out.

And who left me all this wonderous surprise?
    S8gt5h.jpg

Antithesis! (I think it was him, unless there was another anti somewhere in this group). I promise not to stab you as much next time I see you on.

wooo, merry christmas everyone! Now time to go pack!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Man, that is some awesome gifting right there! I also am mega jealous of your workstation.

In other news, my wife and I made cookies!
    qoCsi.jpg

eHev5.jpg

OH2DD.jpg

u3FlG.jpg

yk6Nj.jpg

LB9TJ.jpg

BxpJ4.jpg

Delicious!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha. the dead gingerbread man. I still need to get around to making peppermint cookies. I looked all over before finding some Bob's Sweet Stripes soft peppermint sticks to use in them.

Edit: I hope Deveric spills the beans on the flash drive after he solves it and claims his prize. The mystery has been driving me crazy since the first post card appeared. :P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    Oh, you'll figure it out soon 8) I was starting to wonder whether or not the package would ever reach you, so I'm glad you like it! Never did a painting before, and kinda rushed it, so I'm also glad it looked recognizable. Er, recognizable enough.

• Options
    I studied over everything, and saw nothing. I'll look again in a few minutes here...hmm

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Santee gift 2 is sent. It should be there before Christmas! :D

Steam: offday
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    S-Starwind wrote:
    Gift get! Christmas Cheer!
    Let's see what we have this year ^_^

The note on this one says..."not super familiar w/these books, but the author writes kick ass comic books, so hopefully you'll enjoy it."

My money is going on it being a book...
    IMAG0082.jpg

Huzzah! Thunder and Steel. I've only just recently started on the Warhammer path, and this will do very nicely.
    Holy damn...that's some very small print in such a thick book. Perhaps this one shall last me two Christmases! :D

Second package. Another note. "A little something to get you into the X-Mas Spirit". Well, it's not shaped like alcohol but here goes...
    IMAG0083.jpg

Christmas movie! Whoop! Rare Exports. Just last week I sat down with my partner and we listed out our Christmas watch list. One more to fit into our festive viewing, and one we haven't seen before.

Last package, also noted. "I imagine this is how all British people speak. Something to prepare you for the eventual alien attack". The amount of secret santa gifts I get preparing me for various attacks I've gotten in recent years, I think people are heaping a bit too much pressure and expectation on my shoulders o.O Nevertheless! Let's see where my next training takes me...
    IMAG0084.jpg

Attack the Block! Wait, all British people? That may have irked me if I hadn't been filled with an abundance of Christmas joy with these gifts of win.

So now I will be qualified to protect us all from zombie attacks, alien attacks, and...I forget what else. Needless to say, when the end of the world looms, party at my place!

A thousand thank you's Mr. Acosta, if that is your real name, and if it isn't, Merry Christmas, whoever you are.

Mr. Acosta is my father my good man!

Anyways, hope you enjoy both the books and the movies! As I said, I'm not familiar with the book, but the two movies are awesome.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    deveric wrote:
    H6fllh.jpg

Ahh yeah. that looks fantastic. It's almost as if that empty spot above my desk was calling out.

We have the same artwork good sir!
    uJAC4l.jpg

LewieP's Mum made mine for me. <3

Also @mere_immortal, I think the Firefly posters are from Thinkgeek:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/posters/ad49/?srp=11

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edit: WHOOPS. I'm sooooo gon'get raped by a psycho internet killer now. Thanks a lot Santa!

Congratulations, you figured out your real gift!

mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    vegeta_666 wrote:
    deveric wrote:
    H6fllh.jpg

We have the same artwork good sir!
    uJAC4l.jpg

LewieP's Mum made mine for me. <3

Oh nice, I got mine from PAX 2009 iirc. It looked like it would be good framed...so I did.

• Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    GiftGet.gif

I came home from work today and there was a box waiting! I'll leave it to helper Layla to help me open it.
    IMG_0212.jpg Not sure if ok....

IMG_xxx.jpg] I guess it's safe
    IMG_0217.jpg My god it's full of awesomeness
    IMG_0218.jpg Open this one first

At this point I got excited and just started opening stuff and forgot to take pictures.

But here's the haul.
    IMG_0222.jpg Layla is also super excited

Woopie Pies, Which are already gone and were delicious.
    Halo Risk, I'm a huge risk fan. This will get played soon.
    Complete Firefly series! I'm a huge Serenity fan and I've seen a few episodes, I'll probably watch all of them this weekend.
    FireFly Posters! I love wall art.

You didn't include your name but thank you. I've had a lot of losses this year and this is going to be my first Christmas alone but this present brought a smile to my face and a few manly tears. Thank you who ever you are.

It showed up in one piece! Word!

I really wanted to get you a replica of Mal's pistol for the center of your guns and Firefly interest venn diagram, but it turns out those are the center of the super hard to find and expensive venn.

Enjoy Firefly, but also try to savor it- it will disappear before you know it.
    AaronKI wrote:

Yes, it is elbow macaroni wrapping paper

It was handed to me by a lady standing next to a 30 foot noodle sculpture. It doesn't get much more legit than that.
    vegeta_666 wrote:

Yerp! They're really fantastically done, and subtle, too.

Anywho, Merry Christmas Count!

mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dear Santa,

As previously mentioned, tomorrow is my last day at University and then I'm off to home for two weeks. I'll be on the lookout tomorrow for mail but if not, I'll also keep an eye on my mail at home. If you've sent it to my Uni house and you know it will arrive while I'm gone, please let me know details by proxy!

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    tomorrow is the interview I lined up on friday. Armed with the knowledge that my gifts are on their way and that the post interview will include me sending another forumer's gifts to them, I'm excited.

• Options
    well to those hoping to figure out the rest of my gift...I will unlikely have time before I have to take off, I'm almost done packing for my flight and will be heading to the airport early enough tomorrow. Sorry for the sad news. But thanks again Antithesis

• Options
    FreeBryd!FreeBryd! Registered User regular
    Thanks for getting me the above average Humble Bundle 4 Santa, Now I have a Humble bundle 3 as well. Humbleception.

theaterseats.jpg
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Gift received! I am currently several hundred miles from home, but I will make a full-fledged Gift Get post soon!

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Gift get!
    I can't upload photos yet so I'll make the proper post later. For now: santa stalked me incredibly, picked some excellent gifts that are exactly what I wanted, put in a tonne of effort in presentation, and maintained the secrecy of his/her identity. Thank you very much santa! I will put all the photos up later, but oh my god you did I great job and I love everything

Troy and abed in the moooooorning!

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Holy shit, my Santa built me a Team Fortress 2 map featuring challenges I must complete before opening my presents! Fucking awesome. I won't be home until the 26th, but I'm going to try to record a let's play-style playthrough of the map interspersed with the presents as I open them between challenges. It will be a bit of work, but it'll be worth it.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Holy shit, my Santa built me a Team Fortress 2 map featuring challenges I must complete before opening my presents! Fucking awesome. I won't be home until the 26th, but I'm going to try to record a let's play-style playthrough of the map interspersed with the presents as I open them between challenges. It will be a bit of work, but it'll be worth it.

That's awesome. Am I imagining things, or are there a lot more handmade items this year than usual? If that's the case, I hope the trend stays next year. :D

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    Okay so I got a gift! However there was no message with it, so I dont know if it was my PA santa or my Reddit santa! So....if my PA santa got my some posters, please let me know and I'll post up the GETT.

They're currently being framed :D

WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    With each day that passes, the greater the chances that international post is going to hold on to my gift until somewhere between after Christmas and forever.

Balls! It's always worked so well in the past.

MhCw7nZ.gif