As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hello.

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Social Entropy++
inigo.jpg

My name is Inigo Montoya.

You killed my father.

Prepare to die.

247233-inigo_montoya_large.jpg

princessbride.jpg

Look, I'm not going to do that internet thing where I act like my opinion is the only valid one. But seriously. It is actually impossible to hate this movie if you have a single shred of taste in your body.

It has literally everything you could ever want from a movie. Peter Falk as the narrator. Sword fights. Pirates. Revenge. The Fire Swamps. Giant rat monsters. Killer eels. Andre the god damn Giant. Poison. Intrigue. True love. Mawwiage. The Cliffs of Insanity. Christopher Guest as one of the two bad guys. Chris Sarandon as the other big bad. Chases. Cary fucking Elwes. Billy Crystal. A holocaust cloak. The Pit of Despair. Mandy Patinkin getting his drunk ass dunked in water over and over again. Humor. Romance. You'll laugh! You'll cry!

On the off chance that there is a single soul on these boards who hasn't seen this movie, you have done yourself a great disservice your entire life. This movie is so classic and timeless that my kids watch it over and over, and my daughter is only 3 years old. I've seen it a billion times and I still get goosebumps during the scene when Inigo Montoya gets into the climactic battle that sets the standard for every revenge scene to come after.

joshofalltrades on

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    cue dichotomy post

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Eh. It's okay.

Could have been a bit longer. Maybe ditch the framing device until the end.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    cue dichotomy post

man I love dichotomy too

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Look, I'm not going to do that internet thing where I act like my opinion is the only valid one. But seriously. It is actually impossible to hate this movie if you have a single shred of taste in your body.

you know what I think of tha-
    Antimatter wrote:
    cue dichotomy post

fuck

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    My mind finished the thread title with

"Is it me you're looking for?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ILDFp5DGA

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    It'll never work, for two reasons. First, we'd need a holocaust cloak.

Oh, you mean like this one?

sig.gif
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i dont like this movie

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote:
    i dont like this movie

Beasteh I thought we were pals

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have done myself a great disservice apparently.

I've only seen a few minutes of this.

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Eh. It's okay.

No way. It's as much a story about being told a story as it is telling one.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    This was okay. I sort of watched it just so I would get more references to it, though.

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    and if you've never read the novel, why the hell not

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Not of fan of this movie. Sorry, internet.

jkZziGc.png
  • vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    I've never seen this movie. I don't know what is wrong with me.

steam id: vermiculture
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote:
    i dont like this movie

Beasteh I thought we were pals

idunno i last saw it when i was 7

i was barely aware of the plot it just annoyed me

maybe i should watch it again

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Easily one of my favourite movies of the eighties.

I had such a hard time convincing my friends to watch a movie with a title like "The Princess Bride", but once they finally caved, they thoroughly enjoyed it. As everyone should!

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Eh. It's okay.

I'm not a huge fan of framing devices. I don't think the final line would have lost any impact if they omitted the stuff from the beginning though.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Okay, I guess this is more disliked than I thought!

But seriously it is probably my favorite movie

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Someone here said that when Inigo Montoya said,
    "I want my father back, you son of a bitch.", he was thinking of his father who died from cancer.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    Eh. It's okay.

I'm not a huge fan of framing devices. I don't think the final line would have lost any impact if they omitted the stuff from the beginning though.

I guess I got a vicarious thrill out of being told an awesome story by Grandpa Falk

TrippyJing wrote:
    Someone here said that when he said,
    "I want my father back, you son of a bitch.", he was thinking of his father who died from cancer.

That was me, I said that

And it's true!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    this is the most perfect film ever made

I've seen it more than any other movie

the movie I've seen the second most is Shrek, because when I was in school they would put that movie on in class on days when the teacher wanted to reward the class/take an hour off

Easily one of my favourite movies of the eighties.

I had such a hard time convincing my friends to watch a movie with a title like "The Princess Bride", but once they finally caved, they thoroughly enjoyed it. As everyone should!

Whatever you do, make sure to omit mention of the kissing.

sig.gif
  • FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    double post? weird.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Is it me your looking for?

You and me, CD

We're stormin' the castle

TrippyJing wrote:

I didn't know that, but man that line has always hit like a punch to the gut

now I guess I know why

TrippyJing wrote:

In retrospect, it was a really dick move of Christopher Guest to give cancer to Mandy Patinkin's dad. I know, I know, method acting and everything.

Also, spoiler tags? Really?

sig.gif
    and if you've never read the novel, why the hell not

I need to do this again! I wonder what happened to my copy

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    FortyTwo showin' his forum age

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The recent reunion article and photoshoot was enough to get me to buy a copy of Entertainment Weekly, and that's saying something. Also, Chris Sarandon has held up ASTONISHINGLY well for a man about to turn 70.

I don't think Princess Bride is the best movie ever, but it is adorable and fun and comfortable and kind of unique in tone. I watched it recently with my ladyfriend, who is kind of a robot (and who'd never seen it), and even she agreed it was sorta magical.

• TenTen Registered User regular
    I need to watch this again soon, I love it so much

This movie is also forever linked in my mind with Erik the Viking, another great movie, because I think my Dad introduced me to them at the same time

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Also this movie is amazing, eff tha haters. I got a copy of the book earlier this year but I haven't sat down with it yet.

uc3ufTB.png
    SimBen wrote:
    TrippyJing wrote:

In retrospect, it was a really dick move of Christopher Guest to give cancer to Mandy Patinkin's dad. I know, I know, method acting and everything.

Also, spoiler tags? Really?

Apparently enough people have deprived themselves of this movie to warrant them

You and me, CD

We're stormin' the castle

I AM THE DWEAD PIWATE WOBEHTS

I AM HEWE

BUT SOON, YOU WILL NOT BE HEWE

THE DWEAD PIWATE WOBEHTS HAS COME FOH YOH SOULS

Double post? Weird.

uc3ufTB.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular

wrongo

two words

speed

racer

0BnD8l3.gif
    naporeon wrote:
    Also, Chris Sarandon has held up ASTONISHINGLY well for a man about to turn 70.

Holy shit, the man is ageless

I had no idea he was that old

• TenTen Registered User regular
    Rob Reiner is pretty great you guys