As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

all the best shit of 2011

skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin againRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
okay so many of you know that I am all up ons when it comes to year end retrospectives

best ____ of 2011 makes me so excite

so um

TELL ME YOUR GOOD SHIT FROM 2011

also note: this does not have to be shit that came out in 2011 although that is welcome

it can be shit you discovered in 2011 like HAY WHY Y'ALL DIDN'T TELL ME BOUT DIS

please include a little explanation with your stuff!

okay so some good shit 2011:

good games!

dark souls
-- this game hard as fuck. jesus christ. it made me yell "YOU FUCKING CUNTS" at the screen.

darksiders
-- love the art style in this game. and it's nice and short! and I beat it! yussss

indie games
-- what! I thought these games suck! but some of them are p good like jamestown or the binding of isaac or limbo or braid or

good books!

embassytown by china mieville
-- I can never remember how to spell dis muf fucka name. still this books is rad. it is sci fi? I don't usually like sci fi? so what! it is great!

hyperion by dan simmons
-- this is a good book! it reminds me of chaucer but in space

good movies!

tucker and dale vs evil
-- funny! a clever reimagining of your typical horror movie. I liked it a lot

god I fucking love movies how sad is it I can only thing of one I saw this year that was awesome :(

good shows

always sunny in philly
-- hee hee hee. funny fuckin show!

new girl
-- I don't want to like this show but it makes me laugh. which is a good recommendation I think?

worst cooks in america
-- god I love everything on the food network but this show is rad. also chopped and next iron chef

good music!

tool
-- these motherfuckers. they make some good shit! where y'all been hidin this band

gogol bordello
-- this band is awesome, it makes me want to drink vodka

dessa
-- I saw her in concert this year. she is so pretty I will kiss her face (don't tell my wife oh god). she was bad ass in concert. also this dude who opened for her, sims, was good. so was this other dude, lazerbeak

atmosphere
-- god loves ugly! when life gives you lemons you paint that shit gold! good shit doggs, real talk

good technology!

ipad
-- THIS FUCKING THING. I use it to forum while my wife watches the worst tv ever, it is so great. also I use it to look up recipes in the kitchen

projector
-- seriously get one of these. my tv screen is like 100" I feel like I live in a movie theater jesus christ

good shit that happened!

life
-- I created one! kinda! it is a fetus but I did my part, my wife better hurry up wit dis babby

god
-- is dead. just kidding! but seriously I embraced my athiesm this year and I am happier because of it

the gays
-- dadt got repealed. that is so great. I hope it provides a launching pad for people to challenge the federal doma thing

OKAY SO LET'S CELEBRATE 2011 TELL ME YOUR GOOD SHIT FROM THE YEAR SO I CAN LOVE IT TOO UNF UNF

skippydumptruck on

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Lots of dead ass holes this year.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    movies

i really liked contagion, x men first class, and the last harry potter movie!

them shits was bangin

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Breaking Bad Season 4

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Best Games
    Batman Arkham City (The Melee Combat is lovely), Portal 2 (Excellent Writing), inFamous 2 (Great characters and gameplay), The Stanley Parable (Funny, Thoughtful, Terrifying).

Tech
    I'm enjoying my Samsung Galaxy S 5.0 Wifi media player, especially how I haven't had to convert any media to play is and it doesn't need an application to load files onto it.

TV
    Charlie Brooker bookends my TV experience with "How TV Ruined Your Life" at the start of the year and "Black Mirror" at the end. HTVRYL partially summarises his earlier Screenwipe work but has some great jokes of its own, while Black Mirror hits my need for satire.

Personal Stuff
    My brother got married to a lovely lady, I entered into a mortgage to live in a nice house, and it looks like I'm rounding off the year by being on the short list for promotion!

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    tool
    -- these motherfuckers. they make some good shit! where y'all been hidin this band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOgvlfWKw-I

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    But for real, I got into graduate school, so BEST DREAM FULLFILLMENT 2011 goes to me

This has been a pretty interesting year for science.

There were those neutrinos, some scientists discovered a new order of insects (extinct, unfortunately), Carl Zimmer put out a few books, we found out that there is a lot of Neanderthal DNA in modern humans, and I am sure there was a lot of other cool science stuff that happened this year I am missing.

Help me out science-bros!

@Mojo_Jojo @Electricitylikesme @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud @Winky @Shivahn

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    oh um

i almost died?

i developed a serious heart condition and now my periacardium is gonna be gnarled for the rest of my life

spent 4 days in the hospital

dat shit was scary

that changed me pretty good... i am nicer to everyone i meet, and i am less caustic

i make sure my partners orgasm at least twice for every one of mine etc etc

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Good travel
    I did New York City, Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Boston, and Salem.

Good experiences
    I joined an anti-gravity yoga class, visited a ghost town, and started learning Mandarin.

sig.gif
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    I went (back) into the IRR of the US Army, so I no longer have to report in or serve or deploy. 2 years and 1 month and I'll be out completely after 12 years in the military. I started going to the VA for a serious medical condition, coupled with PTSD and physical ailments from my time in, I'm looking at a moderate rating for disability.

Those are pretty much the best things to happen to me all year.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Arch wrote:
    But for real, I got into graduate school, so BEST DREAM FULLFILLMENT 2011 goes to me

There were those neutrinos, some scientists discovered a new order of insects (extinct, unfortunately), Carl Zimmer put out a few books, we found out that there is a lot of Neanderthal DNA in modern humans, and I am sure there was a lot of other cool science stuff that happened this year I am missing.

I feel insulted :p

There has been some amazing stuff coming from astronomy. Hundreds of new extra-solar planets. The new solar systems are redefining our understanding of how solar systems form. Our theories were based on the one example we had to study and which we assumed was typical, so of course planets are all in the same plane, with small rocky ones inside and large gas giant outside. The discovery of systems with planets in random orbits and gas giants more massive than Jupiter closer to their stars than Mercury is changing all that. I've seen one theory that our system had another more massive gas giant in the past that got expelled, to fit with other systems we found.

In other news, the first man-made probe left the solar system this year. It found... Nothing. Which is significant - our theories predicted that away from the protection of the un, the probe would enter a zone of violent storm from competing nearby stars. Instead, extra-solar space is extremely calm. Another astronomy theory that we will have to revisit.

It's an amazing time to be an astronomer (I'm not one, unfortunately).

sig.gif
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Arch wrote:

The 2011 Nobel prize in Chemistry went to the dude who discovered quasi-crystals. No one believed him and he was openly mocked.
    http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2011/press.html

Also, my favoritist of subjects, Immunology, got the 2011 Nobel prize in Medicine.
    http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2011/press.html
    They categorized the most complicated system of our body and it was totally awesome.

Yay Science!

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    Arch wrote:

I feel insulted :p

There has been some amazing stuff coming from astronomy. Hundreds of new extra-solar planets. The new solar systems are redefining our understanding of how solar systems form. Our theories were based on the one example we had to study and which we assumed was typical, so of course planets are all in the same plane, with small rocky ones inside and large gas giant outside. The discovery of systems with planets in random orbits and gas giants more massive than Jupiter closer to their stars than Mercury is changing all that. I've seen one theory that our system had another more massive gas giant in the past that got expelled, to fit with other systems we found.

In other news, the first man-made probe left the solar system this year. It found... Nothing. Which is significant - our theories predicted that away from the protection of the un, the probe would enter a zone of violent storm from competing nearby stars. Instead, extra-solar space is extremely calm. Another astronomy theory that we will have to revisit.

It's an amazing time to be an astronomer (I'm not one, unfortunately).
    Kepler-22b!!!!!!!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    is skippy high

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    We started watching Breaking Bad from the beginning a month or two ago. It is a fun timewaster!

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    is skippy high

:(

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I meant no disrpect sir skippington

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    2011 has been a year of mostly shit, but the shiny bits for me would be: Graduating from my BA, getting into a ridiculously good grad school, and moving to the UK for duration of the program.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    Was there any good music made this year besides St. Vincent because I haven't heard a whole lot off good.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    Good travel
    Seattle

YOU CAME TO SEATTLE WITHOUT TELLING ME? YOU ARE DEAD TO ME, SIR.

DEAD

TO

ME

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Was there any good music made this year besides St. Vincent because I haven't heard a whole lot off good.

m83
    Austra
    iceage
    battles
    the weeknd
    feist
    wild flag
    laura marling
    the pack ad

honourable mentions

the deep dark woods
    zola jesus
    tegan and sara (was a live cd/dvd, so doesn't really count)

There was also a new Kate Bush album, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote:

This is by far my favorite science of 2011:
    http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/06/monkey-brain-control-the-future-of-robotic-prostheses/

Quote from the actual paper published in Nature:
    Our BMBI demonstrated direct bidirectional communication between a primate brain and an external actuator. Because both the afferent and efferent channels bypassed the subject’s body, we propose that BMBIs can effectively liberate a brain from the physical constraints of the body.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    My best is pretty simple.

Getting into grad school you wanted is the best thing.

For other stuff, Deus Ex was pretty awesome. Lots of cool stuff from science. Neutrinos. More time hanging out with good friends was cool this year, too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Best movie of the year:

]hugo20movie.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Best Food: Taco Bell's Beefy Crunch Burrito. It was here for a limited, and it was awesome. And it's back for a limited time starting tomorrow! I'm so happy right now.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Skippy you killed God and created human life, you win the year! Seriously though, congrats!

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    2011 was good for me because I spent a full year in film school and for the most part it kicked fucking ass.

Also: 2011 was the year of revolt. Tunisia, egypt, libya, wisconsin, occupy new york... all over the place people stood up and said we're not gong to take this shit and for better or for worse they are making their voices heard. As a liberal that gives me hope. Hope that people around the world aren't content to maintain the status quo.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Naples was pretty cool. As was Napoli style pizza

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    gundam470 wrote:
    Skippy you killed God and created human life, you win the year! Seriously though, congrats!

thanks! :D

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    gundam470 wrote:
    Best Food: Taco Bell's Beefy Crunch Burrito. It was here for a limited, and it was awesome. And it's back for a limited time starting tomorrow! I'm so happy right now.

Best news I've heard all year.

sadly, that may be true =/

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    this was a good game

Radiant_Historia_Cover_Art.jpg

also skippy was the best feeder of 2011

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:

Best news I've heard all year.

sadly, that may be true =/

I've had 10 of those in the last month...

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Got Married
    Went to Greece
    Took up Snowboarding

Pretty balling year.

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Best movie: Hugo, hands down. Driver I think is second.
    Best game: Skyrim. Stupid addictive Skyrim.
    Best TV show: Tie between Dexter and American Horror Story

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Best Game
    Skyrim, hands down.

Best Movie
    The Muppets! Seriously if you haven't seen this yet, you are humorless and I weep for you.

Best Personal Thing:
    Strong rebuilding year, it feels good to be finally getting back on track. One of the few good things about having the legs knocked out from under us is the chance to rebuild a much more solid financial foundation from core principles.

Best Food:
    Rocked a great homecooked stew this year for the first time.
    Had fantastic sushi at a place called Beluga.

Best Reality Show Guy Who Didn't Win
    Ben, the dude with the multiple chef's hats from MasterChef. He totally should've won, I pretty much stopped watching when he got cut!

Best Meme:
    I used to write year end lists like this all the time, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    two of you have mentioned hugo

it doesnt look good but maybe i should reconsider!

also i am not a feeder >:[

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Became single, decided to remain single to really get to know myself and what I want.

Met some forum goers and had the most fun I have ever had in awhile

Began really forming connections with folks here on the forums

Decided I really did not want to go to grad school

My sister moved away

I'm sure there is more but right now that was the best of 2011 for me.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Well, now it looks like i'm copying people, but i totally started grad school. It is awesome.

I moved all the way across the country, and that was new and different. I've learned how to bake, and that's also super cool.

I got to hang out with PA people, and that was pretty bad ass.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Joined the military, survived basic training, got the assignment that I wanted in the location that I wanted, got into the grad school that I wanted for the degree that I want...

Bad people are gone, good things are being passed, bad people are being made fun of, good people are being recognized...

Everything's coming up Milhouse.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!