As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need to buy a game for a 13yo boy I don't know - maybe a tabletop game?

mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, I have become put into the position where I have to buy a small gift for a 13-year-old boy whom I've only met once. I don't want to spend a ton of money ($20ish, is probably good). But I was thinking, maybe I could get him an interesting tabletop game. Unfortunately I've never gotten terribly into this part of gaming so I don't know what kind of game would fall into that price range, would appeal to a kid that age, and wouldn't be something he'd have to amass a lot of extra pieces and parts for (so a CCG is out). I have Munchkin, but I doubt he plays PnP RPGs so maybe he wouldn't get the playstyle and the jokes.

Does anyone have a game they like to play that is relatively simple in rules and set-up, that maybe a kid could play with his friends that would take not too long to play (maybe an hour or two tops) but that is fun and would be interesting to a 13-year-old?

Thanks.

edited to add: if I can't think of something he's getting MS points.

v2zAToe.jpg
Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
mare_imbrium on

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    http://www.amazon.com/Gamewright-317-Forbidden-Island/dp/B003D7F4YY

I haven't played it myself but I've heard that Forbidden Island is great for kids, and it's one of the few tabletop games you'll find for under $20. As an added bonus (since we're a few days away from Christmas), you can find it at just about every bookstore like Barnes & Noble.

Edit: Oh, and Zombie Dice is a nice casual/party game with rules that can be explained in under a minute. It usually goes for about $13. It's a blast to play, but there's not a whole lot of thinking involved.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    I will look into that one, thanks. We do have zombie dice, but my kids only ever want to play it sporadically in favor of playing Munchkin (my kids are nearly 6 and 8 and they freakin LOVE Munchkin, which has made me kind of tired of the game) so I worried that it might be TOO simple.

Also, if it's obscure it's not too big a deal, we have a couple of good game/hobby stores nearby.

v2zAToe.jpg
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    This is more of a card game but Zombie Fluxx (or any of the Fluxx games) is tons of hilarious fun that pretty much anyone will love and find amusing.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked into the Lego tabletop games? I mean, it's Lego which is always good and a simplified tabletop game that can be expanded with whatever existing Lego collection he's already got.
    Seems they've got a lot that are in the 15-25 dollar range.

Alternatively if that's too simplified maybe Scrappers or Infernal Contraption card games from Privateer Press?
    http://store.privateerpress.com/bodgergames.aspx

see317 on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Munchkin was my gateway into tabletop gaming and is still one of my favorites. If you don't mind dropping a little bit more cash on the gift, knowledge of PnP RPGs probably isn't required to enjoy the humor. Especially if you grab one of the non-Fantasy sets.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    S107 remote control helicopter.

They're up on amazon for like ~$25

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Everything I've heard about Bang! would make it a good recommendation for this instance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang!

• Options
    I appreciate all the good ideas. Actually some of these games look like stuff maybe I'd like to buy to play with my kids too. I bet they'd love that Zombie Fluxx game.

As far as lego games, actually my older boy (8) wants Heroica and you've reminded me I need to research why the heck there are three different sized boxes at the store that all have that name. I will look at those too for this other present.
    AaronKI wrote:
    Munchkin was my gateway into tabletop gaming and is still one of my favorites. If you don't mind dropping a little bit more cash on the gift, knowledge of PnP RPGs probably isn't required to enjoy the humor. Especially if you grab one of the non-Fantasy sets.

I guess that's true. Sometimes we do have to explain things to my kids specifically because they've never played any rpgs but they still love the game. Of course they also love raiding our D&D bookshelf (mostly to look at the monster manuals) and they want us to run a game for them (they are both good with numbers but we've been kind of stalling until the little one is better at reading). And I didn't think about the other kinds of Munchkin.

v2zAToe.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    How about Zombie Dice?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I appreciate all the good ideas. Actually some of these games look like stuff maybe I'd like to buy to play with my kids too. I bet they'd love that Zombie Fluxx game.
    As far as lego games, actually my older boy (8) wants Heroica and you've reminded me I need to research why the heck there are three different sized boxes at the store that all have that name. I will look at those too for this other present.
    There are four different sets. From what I've seen, Heroica is a set theme (Like Harry Potter, or Technic or Space etc...) where there are several sets of different sizes that all share the same general design principles. In this case, board games featuring microfigures themed around a medieval fantasy setting.

• Options
    I ended up getting two copies of Zombie Fluxx, one for my kids and one for this boy (Amazon Prime means they'll still come in time for Christmas). I also picked up a game called Loot that I thought my kids would like for around the same price (I saw it come up in recommendations a couple of times while shopping). I think I will go to the game store later and look into some of these other games - particularly because that game Infernal Contraption doesn't seem to be available online anywhere, only the expansion. We'll see.

v2zAToe.jpg
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote:
    http://www.amazon.com/Gamewright-317-Forbidden-Island/dp/B003D7F4YY

I haven't played it myself but I've heard that Forbidden Island is great for kids, and it's one of the few tabletop games you'll find for under $20. As an added bonus (since we're a few days away from Christmas), you can find it at just about every bookstore like Barnes & Noble.

Edit: Oh, and Zombie Dice is a nice casual/party game with rules that can be explained in under a minute. It usually goes for about $13. It's a blast to play, but there's not a whole lot of thinking involved.

I'll second Forbidden Island - lots of fun.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I'd like to say that Forbidden Island is an awesome game even for adults, WELL worth the price in my opinion.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    You're going to play D&D with your children!? ADOPT MEEEEEEEEeee----....
    Also yeah, Forbidden Island is quite fun.

m3nace on