As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2011 - Get with the gifting!

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GiftGet.gif

This was the last package I received from Hillean. Needless to say he got me SO MUCH STUFF.

This first gift is an awesome statue that is now sitting on my dresser. Sadly I heard the game was terrible but I loooove JRR's work, I usually make it a habit to read the trilogy and the hobbit once a year so obviously I loved this.
    There are a select few in my family who are actually willing to play Monopoly with me. The rest would rather take part in a game of Russian Roulette. Being and Transformers edition just adds to the awesome.
    Next up, MUSIC! This was the first I've heard of these guys. I listened to it a couple times on my way to work but sadly these guys aren't my cup of tea. My s/o however really likes them so its still a win.
    This last gift is just awesome. Scorpion and Sub-zero book ends, what could be more badass than that? I've got about 10 or 11 books that were scattered all around my dresser. This brings them all together while screaming the words GET OVER HERE
    Scorpion's hook was broken off but I had some leftover glue from some warhammer figurines so its back to looking awesome again.

Thanks so much for all the gifts Hillean. If you use steam I'd really like to return the favor with a couple games. It wouldn't be any trouble for me either because hey, STEAM SALE!

Way too many edits later - I'll get on photobucket tomorrow and fix those images. For the time being I put in the links.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    JESUS CHRIST THOSE PICTURES ARE HUGE
    *shakes head*
    I'm going to bed

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Huge pictures are necessary to encompass all that awesome.

• Options
    S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    I want to thank my mystery Santa, who I actually have no idea who is. SO WHOEVER GAVE ME THIS SWEET GIFT... STEP FORWARD.

Anyway! Gift! Check it out:
    gtss.jpg

It is in fact a one of a kind Khoo Woo table tennis paddle, which i'm sure i will shame someone with in 2012. So thanks!

----

So FUNNY STORY....

At first I thought I received this gift from someone else, because it came on the same day as other table tennis related items. To further reinforce this, I actually got a card in the mail from this person three days later saying that what they sent won't be arriving until later...

So my apologies for the late posting on this!

Ah, Good news! I was actually about to send panicked emails to find out if it had been sent out since I never got a "shipped" confirmation from the place.
    Glad you like it ^_^ , it was the best idea I could think up, and the first time I'd touched photoshop in about 8 years =/ , Merry Christmas!

As I hadn't been told it was shipped, I actually thought the card would arrive before the gift, but all's well that end's well.

XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    JESUS CHRIST THOSE PICTURES ARE HUGE
    *shakes head*
    I'm going to bed

I made some smaller resolution versions if you want to link them directly:
    xCehe.jpg

Qxone.jpg

rqp88.jpg

4SkLh.jpg

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Awww snap it's another

GiftGet.gif

My lovely Santa @JHunz previously gifted me some fantasy goodness with both Witchers, but today I came home to a package.
    HCxOl.png

"What could this be?" I thought, I've already bought all my Christmas presents.
    E83No.png

!
    DTsXJ.png

In case it's difficult to see: I found it hard to believe, looking at your gaming profiles, that you've never touched what may be the most bizarrely awesome horror game of this generation. Please rectify that problem immediately.

I've been meaning to play DP since I watched the Giant Bomb quicklook but never got around to it.

JHuuuuunz you are awesome!

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    oh man DP is awesome. . . and Deadly Premonition is pretty cool too. :P

seriously that game is oddly amazing. Also it looks like you guys got a way cooler boxart than we did in Canada.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    I'm jealous of everyone who can play that. I really need to import a PS3 copy.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    S-Starwind wrote:
    Ah, Good news! I was actually about to send panicked emails to find out if it had been sent out since I never got a "shipped" confirmation from the place.
    Glad you like it ^_^ , it was the best idea I could think up, and the first time I'd touched photoshop in about 8 years =/ , Merry Christmas!

As I hadn't been told it was shipped, I actually thought the card would arrive before the gift, but all's well that end's well.

Awesome! Thank you sir!

Some guy.
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GiftGet.gif

This was the last package I received from Hillean. Needless to say he got me SO MUCH STUFF.

*snip*

Scorpion's hook was broken off but I had some leftover glue from some warhammer figurines so its back to looking awesome again.

Thanks so much for all the gifts Hillean. If you use steam I'd really like to return the favor with a couple games. It wouldn't be any trouble for me either because hey, STEAM SALE!

Way too many edits later - I'll get on photobucket tomorrow and fix those images. For the time being I put in the links.

Scorpion's hook broke off? LAME! Glad you got it fixed back up, that almost made me depressed... I knew you liked books, but finding out what you had & hadn't read is impossible, so.... bookends!

In regards to Steam, my PC went kaput a few months back, and I've been on a low-grade laptop for awhile so I don't game much on it anymore. Do feel free to pass on more goodies to others on the forums, as they'd be wasted on me, but thank you for the consideration!

And the gift of Something Corporate is the gift that keeps on giving, so I hope your ladyfriend enjoys it.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GiftGet.gif
    Part 2: The Santa Who Shagged Me

"SNICKT"

Gah! Santa backstabs me again! "cough... sputter"
    3445fll.gif

When will this horror stop?

cj_iwakura, you sadistic hero, stop gifting me awesome games!

ConnoQuicksilver on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    And I must say, Freespace's Expansion is hardcore.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GiftGet.gif

OK, my proper Gift Get post. (sorry about the pictures not being the right way up, I've rotated them and saved with three different programs now, and they keep going back.)

I'm a bit of a Metal Gear Solid fan, which Santa seems to somehow have picked up on. I'm not sure how he could have possibly known. My messages from Santa have been MGS-themed, and I posted the video I was given earlier, where Santa made an incredible (and incredibly funny) MGS/Santa themed video for me.

When I finally opened my present, the Metal Cheer, I was greeted with this:
    2011-12-21182529.jpg
    ! Incoming call from Secret Santa

2011-12-21183030.jpg

2011-12-21183100.jpg

(My thought at this point was "holy shit, a lot of effort's gone into this")

I go to Present A

2011-12-21183305.jpg

T-Rex! I pointed Santa to the PA and Dinosaur Comics stores, so at this point I'm thinking it will be some PA-themed merch. I love the post-it notes too, the idea of using the comic's 2nd panel so any notes I write are automatically given the credence of T-Rex's voice.

2011-12-21183546.jpg

Gasp! Not PA, but Community! Community's about half of the TV I watch now, and one of my all-time favourites. It's perfectly timed too: it might be getting axed soon, so buying stuff from the store shows support for the show and might help get them back on the air.
    Troy and Abed in the mooooooooorning!

On to Present B:
    2011-12-21183837.jpg

Big Boss, the Peacewalker version! Daaaaaaaaaamn, I know these things cost a lot, but just look at him... He's taking pride of place on either my bed-side table or my work desk, we'll see. He makes Ezio look like a little girly girl.

One final message from Santa:
    2011-12-21184524.jpg

And I open it to reveal:
    2011-12-21184736.jpg

Now this threw me for a bit. It's obviously MGS themed, and I knew I'd seen it recently, so I was trying to figure out if it was in one of the games, at a moment that would somehow tie in to my Santa's identity. But I was getting nowhere, so I had a look in the thread again, and what's this? It looks a little like AaronKI's avatar, and then before my eyes his avatar suddenly changed into the same picture as I was holding!

Veeeeeery sneaky @AaronKI, but as one of the PMs I sent revealed, I was onto you from the start... well, early at least.

I was going to say that the most valuable present you gave me was the presentation, because it was very cool and exciting and because it taught me a lot about what I should be doing in next year's Secret Santa (this was my first, and I think I did OK but nothing as good as this). I can't really say that though: Big Boss is even cooler. He's always been one of my favourites, him and Ocelot.

Thank you again @AaronKI! An incredible present all-round, and I am truly in awe.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mwahaha. Ok, now the mission is really complete. :D

I'm glad you liked everything and the mug got there in one piece. I had a lot of fun putting everything together, even if the "story" was never consistent and I kept flopping in and out of character in the proxy messages. I also want to thank you again for getting me back into MGS, too, as my interest lapsed in the years between MGS4 and Peace Walker.

Did the REINDEER logo make it there or did Customs confiscate it? Just in case it's gone, this is what should have been taped on the other flap of the box opposite the codec letter:
    kGAyI.jpg

And did I ever fully throw you off the trail of my identity, or did you still always suspect it was me despite all of the false info I dropped about my Santee and shipping destination on the forum? I about had a heart attack when you posted publicly that you thought you knew who your Santee was because I had been a bit loose with info, but I tried to make the most of it and fit it into the package theme. TACTICAL ESPIONAGE GIFTING!

Oh yeah. If you'd like a downloadable/higher res version of the movie I made for you to keep, I uploaded it here along with a bunch of extras I used to make everything: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N32MG6SH

The youtube version if anyone missed it the first time around and because I'm proud of it :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yls8GmN1a9o

I'll shut up now. I babble a lot when I'm excited, as you noticed and had to endure in the rambling letter at the bottom of the box.

PS: I used my middle name instead of my first name on the mailing label. ;P
    PPS: Watching youtube clips trying to figure out what the mug referenced before I bought it also got me interested in community. Everybody wins! I'll probably be grabbing the DVDs after Christmas.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Using your middle name would explain why googling returned nothing.

I always kinda sorta suspected, because it was just too good a match, even if you started saying "posting to Europe" later on. I was looking at other suspects, but you stayed at the top of the list.

And sorry it took so long to open! I'm guessing from the fact you've posted here so often that you were anticipating the opening as much as me. If I'd given you the other address to use just a little earlier...

No REINDEER logo, someone must have taken it at some point.

Thanks again, the whole thing was truly awesome.

• Options
    Dang. Oh well, I tried. Next year I'll have to be more careful. Especially considering what I am planning. Ho ho ho.

That's ok about the wait. On the bright side, it meant I still had something to look forward to closer to Christmas instead of being 100% done by time the first week of December rolled around. :D

CUSTOOOOMS! I was really proud of that too. I clipped it out all nice and neat. I guess I should have printed it out on sticker paper like I originally intended. Please tell me they at least left the wrapping on the presents.

And at least they left the letters. They were originally longer and more in-character, but I toned them down heavily so customs didn't think I was a terrorist and you were a spy.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    The presents were definitely still wrapped, I didn't see anything to think they even opened the box.
    Next time, just make sure you don't get such a super-sleuth santee. There's nothing you could do once I was on the case.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    That Snake is a quality gift!

hrmph

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am laughing for unspecified reasons!

Anyway, you better watch out Santa. I'm hot on the trail of your identity. I'll have you know that I've narrowed the list of suspects down to 56. Are you feeling nervous yet? Are you?!

Actually probably 54 since Schide mentioned he was shipping to a country that wasn't mine and LewieP's mum said that her Santee's house had a chimney. See? I'm already closing the gap! Actually, let's bump it back up to 56 and write a "Potentially playing mind games" note next to Schide and LPM.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    DawasaurusDawasaurus In a forestRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Oh right, here's our new christmas tree:
    newtree.png
    Most of those gifts are for my nephews.
    It was a last-minute ebay purchase, because the dinky little tree atop the video cabinet (and the two others on the piano) just wasn't cutting it.
    So now there are four trees in the living room. Going for quantity over quality.

Dawasaurus on
  • Options
    False alarm, the REINDEER logo was inside the box, taped under the lid. I guess customs didn't want it on the outside, but were kind enough to leave it. You did indeed cut it out nice and neat

• Options
    That's where it was supposed to be, so the package went untouched after all. :D

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Ha! AaronKI, who's to say I've not been lying through my teeth all along and my Santee really lives 15 miles from me!(madly checks that Willeth has already been Santa-ed)
    It might have been a house with a chimney, or it might not have even been a house at all!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    Santa: two packages from Amazon arrived today with my name on them, with the addressee specially coded so that I would recognise that they were from you. Presents are only opened on Christmas Day, however, so my 'Gift Get' post will be put off until then.

Santee, my presents were delivered to you nearly three weeks ago now, and no post, but you've had finals, so I can forgive you. It is Christmas, after all.

• Options
    GiftGet.gif

The final gift in the Zombie Giftmas Carol!
    A box appears at work, so I don't have access to a good camera, but I do have a crappy phone!
    1222111105.jpg

Zombies Vs Robots! The perfect gift combining zombies and the future! The Gift of Zombies Future has arrived!
    1222111108.jpg

This is gonna be perfect for my Christmas vacation, and just in time! I leave tonight!
    1222111112.jpg

Santa also gave me other gifts, all with the excellent zombie theme:

Gift 1:
    Icemopper wrote:
    GiftGet.gif

So my Santee Proxy'd a message that said a lot of awesome stuff about zombies, and that I should begin expecting their rise from the grave in early December. I was not disappointed!

Images and awesome in spoiler!
    A new challenger appears, and the ghosts of PA Secret Santa Past are curious
    DSC_0034.jpg

Jesus grabs a piece and pulls it from the grave
    DSC_0035.jpg

Yesssss this is awesome! I've been aching for a reason to grab this, because it combines my favorite things; zombies, red dead redemption. Previous gifts approve!
    DSC_0037.jpg

This is gonna be aweeesommeeee
    DSC_0040.jpg

Thank you mysterious Santa! I've been trying to reverse stalk all day with no luck... yet.

Gift 2:
    Icemopper wrote:
    Well I finally Christmas-ized my avatar. I kept forgetting to do it, but I finally did!

Oh and GiftGet.gif
    The gifts of Christmas past look eagerly at the oncoming package
    AipoW.jpg

This time, Jesus needs some help resurrecting what lies beneath
    79FCb.jpg

Zombieland! There was much rejoicing!
    pXcnL.jpg

Super happy! So far this makes for 2/2 zombie gifts, and Santa hinted there might be a third. I'm getting all tingly thinking of the possibilities!

Thank you Undead Santa! Whoever you are!!

Gift 3:
    Icemopper wrote:
    GiftGet.gif

This makes gift number 3, Santa, you sly dog! And continuing in the theme of Zombies we have:
    gnuoK.png

I was going to re-read Girl with a Dragon Tattoo in excitement of the movie, but I think not!

And apparently this is one of the two gifts this week, and a previous message makes me think there will be a third week of gifts? I think I'll expect the Gift of Zombies Future? I don't know whether to be excited or horrified.

Thank you Gaslight! What an awesome theme! I'll definitely survive the coming zombie apocalypse, now that I have all these wonderful and accurate depictions of zombies!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wait, how is zombies versus robots even a challenge?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    @Icemopper, did you get my message through Proxy explaining the whole Zombie Christmas Carol thing several weeks ago? I didn't see you mention it so I was a little worried it had gotten lost in the shuffle. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the gifts, most original is just stuff that was on your Amazon list but I tried to put some thought into the theme and presentation.

• Options
    Icemopper wrote:
    GiftGet.gif

This makes gift number 3, Santa, you sly dog! And continuing in the theme of Zombies we have:
    gnuoK.png

I was going to re-read Girl with a Dragon Tattoo in excitement of the movie, but I think not!

And apparently this is one of the two gifts this week, and a previous message makes me think there will be a third week of gifts? I think I'll expect the Gift of Zombies Future? I don't know whether to be excited or horrified.
    Gaslight wrote:
    @Icemopper, did you get my message through Proxy explaining the whole Zombie Christmas Carol thing several weeks ago? I didn't see you mention it so I was a little worried it had gotten lost in the shuffle. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the gifts, most original is just stuff that was on your Amazon list but I tried to put some thought into the theme and presentation.

Yes, I did get the message, very clever! I really like that you didn't just stick to my wishlist. You picked a theme and stuck with it! A++ would cherish again!

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Wait, how is zombies versus robots even a challenge?

maybe it's less Zombies vs Robots and more "Alien vs Predator" in that it's a race to destroy all humans.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    My house has received a package from Ohio, I originally thought this was an internet purchase I made but, that should be coming from California so, Secret Santa gift? I'm on the train on my way home so if it is, pics will be up tonight!

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Squeeeee!!!

wait, I don't know if it's safe.

There's a package here. It's a big rectangle that maybe weighs a whole pound and seems to be padded to hell. There's very few things this could be. Specifically there's one thing that is a rectangle this size that weighs so little (That I know of). I don't know if it's safe to open. I was told to expect 4 packages and I wasn't supposed to open one of them till last but I don't see any numbers on this one. Argh I want to open it!

• Options
    Go for it!

• Options
    Wow... I'll be back in a minute. I have something to show everyone

• Options
    edited December 2011
    GiftGet.gif

I want to start by saying that there are certain things that happen around this community like tradition and as a first time secret santa participant I just assumed that I wouldn't be involved in one of them. I did sort of wonder a little when I got a proxy saying my gifts where coming from the UK and by this point only a few people had mentioned overseas shipping. Still even though I thought about it in a what if sense, I was still surprised to find out who my santa is.

1000949y.jpg

LewieP's Mummy painted me Bastion! I was gifted the game a while ago by a fellow forumer and immediately devoured every inch of the narrative and world of Bastion. The whole presentation was spectacular and I'm sure I expressed those feelings at least once, which I assume lead to this. I wish I had better lighting to show this piece off. I don't even know what to say. This is so awesome.

The gift was between two pieces of Styrofoam, with some extra pieces in the back of the canvas and the whole piece was wrapped in a double layer of bubble wrap. Don't worry it made it here safe no worse for wear. Had to brush some foam crumbs away. Pulling out the extra foam from the back revealed...
    1000950o.jpg

A letter!

transcribed:
    Dear initiatefailure, I expect you've guessed by now who your secret santa is! This is to certify that I, LewieP's Mummy painted this screenshot of Bastion for you in December 2011 (whoops!) in acrylics on stretched canvas. Happy Christmas [ neat signature ]

I don't know what else to say about this. This is an awesome gift that a lot of time was put into. I'm deeply touched, as always by this community, and especially my santa, LewieP's Mummy

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Wow. That painting. It is gorgeous. Wow!

• Options
    This should have been parcel number 3! There's something in parcel 1 that you couldn't open until parcel 3 arrived, but there's no need for that now - it was the reveal of who your Santa was. Parcel 4 will take ages to arrive - its just something local to me for you to eat, so I didn't pay the premium to send it faster. I'm glad you like the painting - LewieP chose the screen shot for me, as I've not played Bastion yet.

I need a favour from you - in my hurry to send it to you I forgot to take a photo of it to post on my blog. If you get a chance to, could you possibly take another photo in bright light and post it?

The other parcels just have some extras that I hope you'll like.

• Options
    Thank you, Icemopper! :)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    LPM delivers once again. :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ha! AaronKI, who's to say I've not been lying through my teeth all along and my Santee really lives 15 miles from me!(madly checks that Willeth has already been Santa-ed)
    It might have been a house with a chimney, or it might not have even been a house at all!

Ok, you're being upgraded from "Potentially playing mind games." to "Potentially playing mind games." written in red ink. For all I know, that package to initiatefailure could be a very clever ruse. :P
    Fantastic painting, by the way. If there's one game that needed to be painted, it's Bastion.

Reverse stalking your Santee is hard when they drop a 100% anonymous gift in your lap via proxy.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    This should have been parcel number 3! There's something in parcel 1 that you couldn't open until parcel 3 arrived, but there's no need for that now - it was the reveal of who your Santa was. Parcel 4 will take ages to arrive - its just something local to me for you to eat, so I didn't pay the premium to send it faster. I'm glad you like the painting - LewieP chose the screen shot for me, as I've not played Bastion yet.

I need a favour from you - in my hurry to send it to you I forgot to take a photo of it to post on my blog. If you get a chance to, could you possibly take another photo in bright light and post it?

The other parcels just have some extras that I hope you'll like.

Oh absolutely. I knew the lighting here wasn't the best but I wanted to show it off. I can get some better images later.