As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mother 3: It's never coming out in America, cry more.

• Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think it's funny that Nintendo has more faith in exporting Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland than Mother 3.

And by funny I mean fucked up and sad.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, it is a Zelda spin-off. Mother doesn't really have that (though I guess it's connection to Smash Bros. is similar).

But stop talking smack about Tingle's game. It will be an awesome adventure in capitalism.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It seems almost like Nintendo is purposely trying to spite the Earthbound fanbase by withholding the games. I remember I once read an interview with the NoA localization team where they laughed very heartily at the efforts of the Starman.net community and started calling them crazy and how they wish they could spite them...

But frankly, I think they should release the games on the DS. It's a Nintendo made game on the DS so it's not gonna fail. and it'll give the fans what they want.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So then, any news on when this "Last Chance" is supposed to drop?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I know one of the Starmen.net dudes, and I know someone that donated, and they both say it is really rad what they've got in store.

I've seen it myself, or at least part of their grand plan. What I've seen will only appeal to die hards. But I could just be not looking hard enough. I dunno.
    The GBA isn't completely dead yet, and the game has only been out for a year or so.

Can't really infringe on something that isn't even on the market.

I just want an answer, honestly. A "Yes, it's gonna happen" ideally, but I'll accept a, "No, it won't". Regardless, our anxiety will be put to an end.

I called Nintendo. They asked my information, and kindly told me that they would be forwarding my statement over to the department that handles those types of things. The guy I talked with didn't seem to knowledgeable about the series, but did remark that they've gotten a fuck ton of correspondence about the game.

Sheep on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    It seems almost like Nintendo is purposely trying to spite the Earthbound fanbase by withholding the games. I remember I once read an interview with the NoA localization team where they laughed very heartily at the efforts of the Starman.net community and started calling them crazy and how they wish they could spite them...

People in the upper part of the hierarchy at Nintendo have also noted how much stuff they get from fans of Earthbound.

Couscous on
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Earthbound fans are truely the craziest of all game fanbases... Ever.

With that said, how can I help? :D

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    I called Nintendo. They asked my information, and kindly told me that they would be forwarding my statement over to the department that handles those types of things. The guy I talked with didn't seem to knowledgeable about the series, but did remark that they've gotten a fuck ton of correspondence about the game.
    You talked to a desk monkey. They know nothing beyond what they're trained on. They certainly wouldn't know anything about Mother.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    To this day I still cannot figure out why Mother 3 never came out here.

They said they were localizing it before and then just dropped it forever and refused to do anything with it at all. They must know it would also print money but they just don't seem to care.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you look up "cult following" in the dictionary, you'll see a link to Starmen.net. Those guys are fucking hardcore about Earthbound. They'll be petitioning for years if they have to.

I think it's unlikely that Nintendo will localize it at this point. Selling to the entire Earthbound fanbase probably isn't enough to justify the expenses of translating a GBA game at this point. It really is extremely niche.

Zek on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ROFISH wrote: »
    Seta 3000 wrote: »
    Starmen.net has a donation drive thing going right now. They've at about $6000, at this point, and are going to use it in the next phase of their plan. They've apparently got something awesome in the works, but the only way to find out what it is ... is to donate.

I know one of the Starmen.net dudes, and I know someone that donated, and they both say it is really rad what they've got in store.

It is rad. :D And you haven't seen nothing yet. That $6000 is going to good use.

Do us all a favor and buy Earthbound for the Virtual Console when it comes out. A little birdy told me that this is our very last chance. (There were other chances, but you wouldn't believe them if I told you.)

Sounds like a bad Kenan and Kel sketch.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    If you look up "cult following" in the dictionary, you'll see a link to Starmen.net. Those guys are fucking hardcore about Earthbound. They'll be petitioning for years if they have to.

I think it's unlikely that Nintendo will localize it at this point. Selling to the entire Earthbound fanbase probably isn't enough to justify the expenses of translating a GBA game at this point. It really is extremely niche.

They could make tons of money if they were smart about it.

Package Earthbound in with it, add touch screen controls to both games, and sell it on the DS for like 40$. You can't tell me that an earthbound 1/2 package would not sell gobs.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They'd never do that, because they'd lose money. Earthbound DS alone would make enough for it to justify it as a solo release.

I think the main problem is that the original wasn't a big success, so they're reluctant to give it another try.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

They could make tons of money if they were smart about it.

Package Earthbound in with it, add touch screen controls to both games, and sell it on the DS for like 40$. You can't tell me that an earthbound 1/2 package would not sell gobs.
    Unfortunately, being a cult favorite and a (relatively) unknown license probably won't help. :(

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I hear the DS can play GBA games.
    Don't quote me on it though.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007

Not quite as niche as Fire Emblem. Looked what happened there.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Eteric wrote: »
    Earthbound fans are truely the craziest of all game fanbases... Ever.

With that said, how can I help? :D

http://starmen.net - Instructions are right in the front.

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Fire Emblem has an American fanbase?

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

The main issue is that we're talking about a GBA game. Even back when it came out in Japan, translating an RPG isn't a fast job and by the time they could have released it for the states it would have been very late in the GBA's life cycle. Now it's pretty much out of the question.

If anything comes out of this, the most likely would be a trilogy compilation or something for the DS.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Mother 3 on VC would rock too.

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Mother 3 on VC would rock too.
    GBA games in general would.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't be so quick to say it'll never happen. This sort of campaign got Jericho uncanceled, although some focus and some manner of others getting in on the campaign would be good.

I'd donate to a mother 3 campaign.

EDIT: I see a spoke too soon. Time to print out a post card.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    DVG wrote: »
    Don't be so quick to say it'll never happen. This sort of campaign got Jericho uncanceled, although some focus and some manner of others getting in on the campaign would be good.

I'd donate to a mother 3 campaign.
    Apples and oranges. :...:

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This thread makes me angry, and then sad. Excuse me while I weep softly.

/weep.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    skeldare wrote: »

I'm going to try to resist making an Apple Kid and Orange Kid joke.

In any case, not really. Both involve trying to convince a corporation to produce/release some content you want under the promise of it being a profitable venture.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I'm going to try to resist making an Apple Kid and Orange Kid joke.

In any case, not really. Both involve trying to convince a corporation to produce/release some content you want under the promise of it being a profitable venture.
    Fine :P

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So there's a huge hardcore community for this game. A game which is out in Japan and can be imported region-free. They are working on a translation, right? It's not like it would take forever. :?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So there's a huge hardcore community for this game. A game which is out in Japan and can be imported region-free. They are working on a translation, right? It's not like it would take forever. :?

While I'm sure the various translation projects of Mother 3 are going to be good there is nothing quite like playing a professionally translated game.

I've played a lot of games that are fan translated and watched a ton of fansubbed anime, and usually when I play/see the localized efforts they are usually just better. Cleaner, less errors, and usually a hell of a lot less literal. I can only think of maybe one game out of dozens where I preferred the fan translation.

In other words, while I respect anyone taking the time to translate the game, I think that this other method of convincing Nintendo will probably be more successful in the long run.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

While I'm sure the various translation projects of Mother 3 are going to be good there is nothing quite like playing a professionally translated game.

I've played a lot of games that are fan translated and watched a ton of fansubbed anime, and usually when I play/see the localized efforts they are usually just better. Cleaner, less errors, and usually a hell of a lot less literal. I can only think of maybe one game out of dozens where I preferred the fan translation.

In other words, while I respect anyone taking the time to translate the game, I think that this other method of convincing Nintendo will probably be more successful in the long run.

Plus, if nintendo puts it out, and it does rather well, they may see the point in making even more mother/earthbound games.

Also, if they took the chance on Elite Beat agents, why not this?

ronzo on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ronzo wrote: »

Plus, if nintendo puts it out, and it does rather well, they may see the point in making even more mother/earthbound games.

Also, if they took the chance on Elite Beat agents, why not this?

I'm assuming because the GBA is being phased out. I actually emailed Atlus about the subject of Mother 3 and the response was more or less that Nintendo wouldn't appreciate them touching their stuff, but even if they could, the GBA's decline is another factor.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Even if the GBA is being phased out, there are still games being release, still GBA's being sold, and it's compatible with the DS.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    Even if the GBA is being phased out, there are still games being release, still GBA's being sold, and it's compatible with the DS.
    One could say the same thing about the GC and Wii. Well, Madden's coming about apparently.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    One could say the same thing about the GC and Wii. Well, Madden's coming about apparently.

You need a funny purple controller with sticks to play GC games on your wii.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

You need a funny purple controller with sticks to play GC games on your wii.
    Or a cool wireless Gray/Platinum Wavebird. :)

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    http://www.destructoid.com/starmen-net-s-earthbound-anthology-34475.phtml I hate to bump old topics, but Step 2, completed. :D

Step 1 is still ongoing! Click the Starmen.Net logo in my sig and join the Seige! It is especially important that you call Nintendo! We need more unique callers.

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Can.... Can I buy step 2?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can.... Can I buy step 2?
    Seriously.

I would pay cash money for that.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Holy crap. That is beyond impressive. :shock:

How many of those exist? Who's going to be receiving them?
    Can I have one?

Tig on
  • Options
    xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sincere question here, I'm not trying to hate on anyone, but ...

I visited the Starmen.net website, and browsed through the EB1/2 stuff. Can someone explain the devoted cult following to this game? Here's the thing -- of course the graphics are dated, that is expected when we're talking about NES/SNES era games. Fine.

But I saw precious little about the gameplay. I mean, yes, there are weird things going on - like using a yo yo as a weapon, or being attacked by a hippie. Sure, it's clever etc... etc...

But, outside of quirky situations and the fact that it's different than standard dungeon crawlers, how is the gameplay? Does it actually stand up in today's environment? I remember playing DQIII or IV way back in the day, which was heralded as a good game at the time. I enjoyed it, but looking back on it, I don't think I'd want to play it again -- it was, by today's standards, really shallow.

Shallow as in - talk to a character, and either get a generic response, or an expository monologue; weapon upgrades that occur linearly (sword 1 -> sword 2 -> sword 3); completely linear storyline; no character customization outside of +exp = +hp/sp; minimal text (enough that could fit on a few screens of the tv, with a huge font); I'm sure there are more.

So, was EB revolutionary in any respect aside from it's interesting premise? If I pick up EB on VC, am I going to be stuck with standard 1980's console RPG elements, with a unique game skin? Remember, I don't have the benefit of nostalgia to make the game more fun for me.

Sorry, don't mean to be negative here, but I'm curious about attraction of this game which appears to have garnered a rabidly loyal fanbase.

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The gameplay is super old-school DQ RPG. Equip weapon, and fight dude with said weapon or PSI (magic). I believe Mother 3 does have a non-linear gameplay though.

And the book, sadly, is not for sale. Crazy legal issues like derivatives of Nintendo's work.

ROFISH on
    sig3.png