As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] New Vegas: Ultimate Edition is now out on Steam! Now you have no excuse.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    OK. Fallout 3 question. I'm at level 15 and been wandering the wastes (fuck the main quest line). I've done Operation Anchorage but haven't touched any of the other DLC. Is it reasonably safe to start wandering into them, or should I wait till I hit 20 (or 30?). Weapon-wise I've got the gauss rifle and 500 microfusion cells, a bunch of chinese assault rifles and ~1500 rounds, Lincoln's Reapeter with ~150 rounds, and a pile of hunting rifles with ~150 rounds. I remember reading one of them chewed through ammo even worse than a pile of roboscorpions...

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Point Lookout is the one with the Bullet Sponge Hillbillies. But it's also the DLC with the most content. It has a large open area with lots of quests, so it's more like Honest Hearts or OWB.

The Pitt is a good one to tackle at this point, as it's pretty linear, and it has a decent story. Nowhere near the level of F:NV DLCs, but it's one of the two I like in FO3 (the other is Point Lookout).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    I poked my head into Point Lookout and JEEZ. Between those Feral Ghoul Roamers (they managed to punch out that military base's defense grid! WTF!) and the hill-billys, I might have to retreat and come back with a pile of mininukes or something.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    The bullet spongy enemies aren't too bad with a crit guns build and the unique rifle you can get in it.

I guess I should try the Pitt at some point, but I don't really feel like going for the collect-a-thon bullshit cheevo. How bad is it?

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    The bullet spongy enemies aren't too bad with a crit guns build and the unique rifle you can get in it.

I guess I should try the Pitt at some point, but I don't really feel like going for the collect-a-thon bullshit cheevo. How bad is it?

Bad. Not bad as "collect 100 of the thing" quests go, but those are always bad. Use a walkthrough.

heh. Are they as blatant and stupid as the intel in Operation Anchorage?

Although why it offends me there when they were just as blatant and stupid in ME2's Overlord I'm not sure...

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The only FO3 DLC that you really need to be a higher level for is Broken Steel, which you can't do until you finish the main quest anyway.

That said, as far as I'm concerned, the only truly good FO3 DLCs are The Pitt and Broken Steel (and those two have significant downsides as well). Operation Anchorage is a terribly dull slog through terribly dull areas, all for a boring final setpiece battle (which can easily be exploited for infinite XP) and some game-breaking loot. Point Lookout is one that most people seem to like, but the bullet sponge enemies, teeth-grinding side quests, and the main plot featuring a choice between two characters I absolutely despised left me completely cold. After I finished that I was eager to get out and never go back.

Mothership Zeta was probably the worst game experience I've had in the better part of a decade. Bethsoft tried to really close out Fallout 3 by gunning hard for the Fallout kitsch, but since this was Bethsoft doing it, it was pretty bad. The entire place was too long, too windy, and every corridor looked the same. Every third or fourth enemy was a bullet sponge and enemies were everywhere. Anyone who wasn't an Energy Weapons user was kind of fucked. None of the NPCs ever stirred even the slightest hint of give-a-fuck in me. And to top it off, the final setpiece battle was just awkward and embarrassing.

Edit: And the Pitt steel bars aren't that bad. They're kind of obnoxious, but you'll find most of them through normal playing. The wiki guide for it is really good if you hate doing collect-a-thons and just want the stuff. I'd consider consoling the bars in acceptable too.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    It's funny comparing Fallout 3 with New Vegas.

New Vegas is smaller in every way, but it feels more coherent and the dialog doesn't make me cringe.

I enjoyed the hell out of Saints Row the Third, which is so sexist it's funny, but there's a level of awareness about it. Fallout 3 comes off as if it was written by people whose only interactions with a female came from movies. And the quests don't even make sense.

Bethesda put together a staggeringly large game with an impressive level of detail, but man I wish they'd invested in some decent writers.

• RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    I really don't know. Before I bought New Vegas, all I read about was how much better than FO3 it was was supposed to be.

I'm playing it now, and I'm not really feeling it. It has failed to grab in quite the same way. Might be the general atmosphere or the setting.

All know for sure is I don't much care for the main quest line at all. None of the major factions appeal to me much.

I've enjoyed the side quests, the improved gunplay and crafting system, and the companions. The DLC I've played so far (Honest Hearts, Old World Blues) has been fantastic, but there's just something that's keeping from liking the game as much as FO3.

Maybe I'm just a fool.

blondeshep.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    New Vegas feels kind of claustrophobic to me in a way that Fallout 3 did not.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Fallout 3 does desolate post-nuclear wasteland very effectively. If you're looking for that, New Vegas does not provide.

It's more like 10 or 20 years after the fall than 200...but fuck realism. We have SCIENCE!

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Drez wrote:
    New Vegas feels kind of claustrophobic to me in a way that Fallout 3 did not.

NV definitely uses terrain to funnel the player, such that it's not always viable to just pick a direction and go until you hit something. I know complaining about invisible walls is just nit-picking, but I did notice them more often in NV. Not that much, mind you, and random acts of cazador were a more serious threat to exploring, but I digress.

I've jumped into this topic before - NV has more logical design whereas FO3 has an inherently more interesting setting, to summarize my opinion - but I would like to add that I like the core gameplay so much that you could probably copy-paste it into other settings and I would still buy the shit out of it. Like, even the mediocre-to-bad DLC got me to replay the games because the games themselves are still fun as hell. "Ah, the DLC's a wash. Oh well, I guess I'll go back to launching piles of hats into the sky with chains of explosives."

In hindsight, this may explain why a big chunk of my backlog originates from early 2009 to mid 2011. D:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I felt 3 did more interestig stuff with the Fallout setting then NV did, but NV had the far better gameplay. I might pick up the NV GOTY edition when it gets cheap, but Skyrim so completley overshadows it that I'm not sure.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    Ahhh, Reilly's Rangers. No wonder they got themselves screwed.

Guys, I've completely cleared out the entire building. You can waltz on down using the stairs. You don't need to sweat the elevator!

Argh.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm having what may or may not be a problem regarding the main quest line:
    So just to fuck around (I'm not really ready to proceed yet but I wanted to mess around for a bit) I went into The Tops, spoke briefly to Swank and Benny, and left.

According to the Fallout Wikia, Vulpes Inculta is supposed to approach you when you leave The Tops. But this didn't happen. Do you have to finish Ring-A-Ding-Ding! first? Or is something broken? (And no, I never killed Vulpes Inculta.)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    So just to fuck around (I'm not really ready to proceed yet but I wanted to mess around for a bit) I went into The Tops, spoke briefly to Swank and Benny, and left.

According to the Fallout Wikia, Vulpes Inculta is supposed to approach you when you leave The Tops. But this didn't happen. Do you have to finish Ring-A-Ding-Ding! first? Or is something broken? (And no, I never killed Vulpes Inculta.)
    You have to finish it.

Drez wrote:

Yeah, I believe you have to finish Ring-A-Ding-Ding! first before you can get that. The wiki says he's supposed to approach you because it assumes you did something to resolve RADD while you're in the Tops.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I felt 3 did more interestig stuff with the Fallout setting then NV did, but NV had the far better gameplay. I might pick up the NV GOTY edition when it gets cheap, but Skyrim so completley overshadows it that I'm not sure.

I feel exactly the opposite: F3 did the least interesting possible thing with the setting. It was full of interesting little set pieces areas and dungeons that were often compelling (although even there, the limited quality of the writing hampered them some), but the world as a whole was as paint by the numbers a post-apocalypse as possible. (And as I've said before, I'm not a big fan of Skyrim either. It feels incredibly shallow to me, like a rain slick the size of the pacific ocean).

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
    Man. I'm having a hard time choosing between a GRA-modded Tri-Beam Rifle and the AER14 Prototype, modded by WMX and given a charge functionality by Project Nevada. Both seem pretty devastating with my high-crit build, but the Tri-Beam Rifle has a bit higher DPS than the AER14 while being a bit harder to aim due to its poor iron sights. However, the AER14's Project Nevada-added charge is incredibly powerful, capable of taking out the Legendary Deathclaw in a single beam (provided I have enough time to get it fully charged before I get one-shot), but has the side-effect of breaking extremely fast; 1000 MF cells will break it, while the same amount will only bring the Tri-Beam to 50%.

I just don't know which to use. D:

ZvOMJnu.png
    Use a vanilla laser rifle.

*trollface*

Why you gotta make me hurt ya, baby?

ZvOMJnu.png
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    oh man, shiny reboot on the compy and i lost all my saves
    LOOKS LIKE ILL HAVE TO PLAY THROUGH NEW VEGAS AGAIN

Maybe I'll actually get around to modding the game. It just felt...wrong not playing as intended? Maybe I'm way into the mindset of old console JRPGS where you powergamed with what you were given so it feels more legit to make due with the vanilla game

its a powerful urge to fight

edited December 2011
    It only feels wrong when you discuss a modded game with people don't really mod it out much and call you a filthy cheater because they're assholes and want you to feel bad. When I'm chatting it up with friends who mod as much as or more than I do, it feels fine.

I mean it's your game that you (presumably) paid money for, and the Fun Police isn't going to come knocking on your door to sentence you to 400 hours of playing unmodded Oblivion for not doing it The Way It Was Meant To Be™ or anything.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    oh man, shiny reboot on the compy and i lost all my saves
    LOOKS LIKE ILL HAVE TO PLAY THROUGH NEW VEGAS AGAIN

Maybe I'll actually get around to modding the game. It just felt...wrong not playing as intended? Maybe I'm way into the mindset of old console JRPGS where you powergamed with what you were given so it feels more legit to make due with the vanilla game

its a powerful urge to fight

Vanilla runs for the first time is good to see what the game is, but after that..You must serve the wall.

All glory to the wall, Blessings upon its every filled hook.

Buttcleft on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Honestly? Who cares if you mod a single player game. Who are you cheating, yourself?

Take solace in the fact that you'd have a hideout with The Greatest Wall ever to put your weapons on, that sorts your stuff and shelves them, and isn't some ramshackle Motel 6 like your friends are using, all drinking radioactive toilet water and storing their weapons next to the free bible in the Nightstand. You add an awesome Hideout mod, and you won't be forced to drink from the toilet, you'll be all upper class and will only drink from it when you feel like it.

Buttcleft has the right of it. The first run or two, yeah, definitely do vanilla for the experience. Afterwards, what's stopping you from adding the really neat things, getting rid of the vanilla annoyances and bugs, or whatever your heart desires *cough*nudemods*cough* *cough*shiny guns*cough*.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    jamesra wrote:

I feel exactly the opposite: F3 did the least interesting possible thing with the setting. It was full of interesting little set pieces areas and dungeons that were often compelling (although even there, the limited quality of the writing hampered them some), but the world as a whole was as paint by the numbers a post-apocalypse as possible. (And as I've said before, I'm not a big fan of Skyrim either. It feels incredibly shallow to me, like a rain slick the size of the pacific ocean).

I agree. It's been a long time since I've played fallout 3, but the vaults there were the worst. Vault 11 was HOLY SHIT AWESOME, Vault GARRRY GARRRY not so much.

You add an awesome Hideout mod, and you won't be forced to drink from the toilet, you'll be all upper class and will only drink from it when you feel like it.

I hold my pinky out when I drink from the toilet. I also swirl the water around to sniff its bouquet first. Sometimes I even flush it because it doesn't have the right notes of shoe leather, tobacco, and muti-fruit.

Deebaser wrote:
    jamesra wrote:

I agree. It's been a long time since I've played fallout 3, but the vaults there were the worst. Vault 11 was HOLY SHIT AWESOME, Vault GARRRY GARRRY not so much.

Wait, Skyrim is shallow, but New "Makes me wish for a nuclear winter." Vegas isn't?

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Orca wrote:
    You add an awesome Hideout mod, and you won't be forced to drink from the toilet, you'll be all upper class and will only drink from it when you feel like it.

I hold my pinky out when I drink from the toilet. I also swirl the water around to sniff its bouquet first. Sometimes I even flush it because it doesn't have the right notes of shoe leather, tobacco, and muti-fruit.

Remind me to look for top hat, monocle, and teacup mods later. That'd make an excellent screenshot.

edited December 2011
    Deebaser wrote:
    jamesra wrote:

Wait, Skyrim is shallow, but New "Makes me wish for a nuclear winter." Vegas isn't?

With the disclaimer that I haven't played Skyrim, but I expect it's similar to Fallout 3 and Morrowind...Bethesda does immense, detailed, but shallow worlds very well. Excellent for dudes that like exploration (I like exploration). They suck at story-telling and characters; the writing is dreadful. New Vegas has its ups and downs, but they were able to put together coherent stories, the dialog's decent, and it feels like a one world, not just random places plopped down in the middle of a map. Of course, New Vegas isn't nearly as large as Fallout 3--there's a price you pay for spending money on writing.

Orca on
    Orca wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    jamesra wrote:

With the disclaimer that I haven't played Skyrim, but I expect it's similar to Fallout 3 and Morrowind...Bethesda does immense, detailed, but shallow worlds very well. Excellent for dudes that like exploration (I like exploration). They suck at story-telling and characters; the writing is dreadful. New Vegas has its ups and downs, but they were able to put together coherent stories, the dialog's decent, and it feels like a one world, not just random places plopped down in the middle of a map. Of course, New Vegas isn't nearly as large as Fallout 3--there's a price you pay for spending money on writing.

Skrim is actually pretty deep. I mean, I've never played a game before were random NPCs will comment on my armor and berate me for dumping my weapons on the ground. The writing is alright, with a few standouts. Certainly better then Oblvion and definitley better at pacing then Morrowind. The world feels quite cohesive as well, with the land naturally flowing from one landscape to another, with settlements in logical places.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Orca wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    jamesra wrote:

Skrim is actually pretty deep. I mean, I've never played a game before were random NPCs will comment on my armor and berate me for dumping my weapons on the ground. The writing is alright, with a few standouts. Certainly better then Oblvion and definitley better at pacing then Morrowind. The world feels quite cohesive as well, with the land naturally flowing from one landscape to another, with settlements in logical places.

I haven't played skyrim either, but Fallout 3 was a nicely designed large world, without a lot of well written content. Some of the content was (Little Lamplight, Big town, all of the vaults) facepalmingly terrible.

Deebaser on
    Deebaser wrote:
    Orca wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    jamesra wrote:

I haven't played skyrim either, but Fallout 3 was a nicely designed large world, without a lot of well written content. Some of the content was (Little Lamplight, Big town, all of the vaults) facepalmingly terrible.

I dunno, I liked Vault 101 and Raven Rock. I think 3 had a more interesting map to explore thanks to a larger prevelance of landmarks, and better captured the retro futuristic feel that I love about Fallout as a setting. I know the main plot of 3 was weak, but frankly, so is the main plot of NV. NV especially had a really weird, disjointed quality to it. For the first half of the game, it's a really cool chase. A story of revenge against the man that tried to kill you. It matters to you. A man in a checkered suit fled across the desert, and the Courier followed. But once that's done the plot shifts to political bullshitting and fetch quests bouncing you from one location to another. That really doesn't matter to me, personally. Whoever runs New Vegas means jack shit to the Courier as a character. At least in 3 the Wanderer always had a reason to go out and do the main quest.

Let me amend that I am in no way saying that NV is bad, or badly written in most respects. But the plot was rather weak and the main choice is essentially picking between Satan, Andrew Ryan, or Obama.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Let me amend that I am in no way saying that NV is bad, or badly written in most respects. But the plot was rather weak and the main choice is essentially picking between Satan, Andrew Ryan, or Obama.
    Or not choosing at all. Which is important. There's a fourth choice, although most people find out about this when they mess up all of the other choices.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    J.E Sawyer released his personal mod that includes some bugfixes amongst other things
    * Max level with all DLCs installed is 35.
    * XP rate is halved.
    * Base player health is quartered and level-gained health is reduced by 25%.
    * Base Carry Weight from 150 to 50 (related perks/things have also been adjusted).
    * Energy Weapon ammo weighs less than its nearest equivalent Guns ammo.
    * Energy Weapon durability is in the same ballpark as Guns durability.
    * Medium Armor has a small amount of DR proportional to its DT.
    * Heavy Armor has even more DR proportional to its DT.
    * Power Armor does not require a perk, but if you have the perk, the weight of the armor is essentially negated.
    * Karma/Alignment values adjusted all over.
    * H2O/FOD/SLP rates doubled, but the first threshold is moved from 200 to 400 (statuses roll over ever 150 after).
    * Water and Food drop rates on NPCs is dramatically lower. It is difficult to stay out of Dehydration/Starvation by looting enemies.
    * Water/Nuka-Cola/Sunset Sarsaparilla heal much less, but now all restore H2O (alcohols will as well, but at lowered values).
    * Default Stimpaks are uncommon. A new variant, Stimpak, Expired is the default. It is not that great.
    * The player's Workbench recipe now makes Stimpak, Homemade. It is better than Expired, worse than default Stimpaks, and has the PE penalty from Healing Powder.
    * All Stimpaks have weight.
    * Pre-Order items have been adjusted to be more well-balanced and not worth that much if you rush to Chet's to trade them in.
    * A bunch of fixes I couldn't make during development because of load order conflicts, time, etc. E.g.: Automatic Rifle spread re-adjustment, putting the Police Pistol on the Cowboy List, Bozar on Grunt, Junk Rounds are now actual ammo variants you can make, etc.
    * Some other stuff.

http://diogenes-lamp.info/jsawyer_fnv_mod.zip

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

These comparisons don't make any sense to me. Well, Satan does "somewhat" if we replace Cesar with Lanius but even that seems weird.

Though, that comes down to with what someone associates with these three names in the first place sooo YMMV.

I would certainly agree though that certain parts surrounding the main choice were the weakest in the game.

That's pretty awesome that he's putting it out there.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I feel like with some tweaks the FO3 setting could have been much improved, from a worldbuilding standpoint.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Starting a new game with the Sawyer mod, had to give steam about 7 more bucks for it to 'work' i guess

Looking forward to the changes he decided to make

This discussion has been closed.