As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2011 - Get with the gifting!

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    @initiatefailure, thank you!
    @AaronKI: you've never played Phalla with me, have you!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    @initiatefailure, thank you!
    @AaronKI: you've never played Phalla with me, have you!

I've never played one at all. I've seen thread titles for plenty of them, though!

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Dangit! Now my work will pale in comparison when my santee gets it...oh well, hopefully they still like it. :)

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Don't put yourself down, I love my World of Goo painting!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I so jelly.

edit: I don't even have a place to put it and I would still want it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GiftGet.gif

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to meet my Santee in person! Deveric and his wife were going to be traveling through my area for Christmas and arranged through Proxy a lunch date. He also said another PA forumer, that lived near me, and his wife would be joining us. Sweet! Not just lunch with one PA'er, but TWO, and I could bring my wife along as well.

We settled on lunch at a local Italian place. Deveric and Wife, Roland and Wife, and myself and Wife arrived safe and sound, and we enjoyed lunch on Deveric's dime, because he's a classy gent and picked up the tab for everyone!!!

Thanks Deveric for lunch! I had a great time meeting everyone.

Now, while I thought this was all a pretty kickass gift already, as we were getting ready to leave, Deveric announced that he had a package in the trunk of his car for me. We all said our goodbyes and Deveric and wife continued on their way to meet his brother in Nashville, and I headed home to see what was in the box.

Pee-Wee and Willie were more interested in wrestling than performing their inspection duties.
    f5d44e17.jpg

Opening the box reveals a note!
    2ce819f5.jpg

ef30f925.jpg

And some wrapped gifts! NOW the inspectors are ready.
    86878b17.jpg
    Let's start with the brick shaped box. I didn't see anything about you having ever played Magic, or having any interest in it, but it is one of my favorite hobbies, something I spend way too much time playing.
    adff6503.jpg
    Sweet! I haven't played since 4th edition, it'll be cool to see what's new. My wife groaned with disappointment. :)
    Next up is the plush feeling thing. I didn't actually buy this one in person, since I've not attended thie coast event. I've been to the west coast side 3 times now, and hope to go again in 2012. I know Tennessee doesn't get as cold as Minneapolis, but I'm sure it will get used, and I hope you can wear your nerdwear proud.
    628c2190.jpg
    Damn right it will get used! I've been trying to find one I liked and hadn't yet. This is extra cool because I'll probably never get a chance to attend PAX on either coast, but now I have some swag.
    The smaller box (that's desk calendar sized) does not contain a desk calendar. Instead, it contains something that you and share, a hobby. It's kind of cheesy, but I figured it would be a good household addition.
    0ea004c3.jpg
    Kissing Dachshund salt and pepper shakers! My wife has claimed them for her own and nearly forgives you for the Magic cards.
    The small box sized item is, well, a book. My wife got this for me a few years ago, and since you mentioned you like things that are, if i recall, "oddly Japanese", I figured this would fit. I have used a bunch of items in here, and they are surprisingly effective.
    db83241b.jpg
    Cool! Flipping through I see tips on curing a stuffy nose, becoming a better bowler, and preventing body odor. Handy indeed!
    The liquid sounding containers... well don't shake them too much. I personally don't really drink this item, I'm more of a fan of the fermented cane drinks and fermented grain mash that is made in your neck of the woods. My wife lived in Lexington, KY for a while, and we did visit a large number of these locations. This is a locally made (in Minneapolis) beverage, which I am told is insanely good, hopefully these will be enjoyed post haste.
    8ef6ddea.jpg
    A sampler of Surly brew!? Heck yeah these will be enjoyed! I'm more of a fan of the fermented cane myself, but I enjoy the barley pop as well.

The haul!
    d5decba2.jpg

But wait... what is this? There's something on the back of the note!
    5d4a60e0.jpg
    A URL!?

I hastily type it into my browser and am presented with the following:

gift.jpg

*floored*

Seriously Eric, I'm blown away. Thank you so much!!! My backlog groans in agony.

Deveric, you are a classy gent! Merry Christmas to you, sir!

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Oddly enough, I have those same kissing dachshund salt and pepper shakers.

I'm not sure why, exactly. We have a pit bull and neither my wife nor myself have ever had a dachshund.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I forgot to mention that I opened the gift immediately after being called and offered the design job I interviewed for yesterday. I'm not saying my secret santa helped, but I'm totally giving you credit for it.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:
    GiftGet.gif

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to meet my Santee in person! Deveric and his wife were going to be traveling through my area for Christmas and arranged through Proxy a lunch date. He also said another PA forumer, that lived near me, and his wife would be joining us. Sweet! Not just lunch with one PA'er, but TWO, and I could bring my wife along as well.

We settled on lunch at a local Italian place. Deveric and Wife, Roland and Wife, and myself and Wife arrived safe and sound, and we enjoyed lunch on Deveric's dime, because he's a classy gent and picked up the tab for everyone!!!

Now, while I thought this was all a pretty kickass gift already, as we were getting ready to leave, Deveric announced that he had a package in the trunk of his car for me. We all said our goodbyes and Deveric and wife continued on their way to meet his brother in Nashville, and I headed home to see what was in the box.

Pee-Wee and Willie were more interested in wrestling than performing their inspection duties.
    f5d44e17.jpg

2ce819f5.jpg

ef30f925.jpg

86878b17.jpg
    Let's start with the brick shaped box. I didn't see anything about you having ever played Magic, or having any interest in it, but it is one of my favorite hobbies, something I spend way too much time playing.
    adff6503.jpg
    Sweet! I haven't played since 4th edition, it'll be cool to see what's new. My wife groaned with disappointment. :)
    Next up is the plush feeling thing. I didn't actually buy this one in person, since I've not attended thie coast event. I've been to the west coast side 3 times now, and hope to go again in 2012. I know Tennessee doesn't get as cold as Minneapolis, but I'm sure it will get used, and I hope you can wear your nerdwear proud.
    628c2190.jpg
    Damn right it will get used! I've been trying to find one I liked and hadn't yet. This is extra cool because I'll probably never get a chance to attend PAX on either coast, but now I have some swag.
    The smaller box (that's desk calendar sized) does not contain a desk calendar. Instead, it contains something that you and share, a hobby. It's kind of cheesy, but I figured it would be a good household addition.
    0ea004c3.jpg
    Kissing Dachshund salt and pepper shakers! My wife has claimed them for her own and nearly forgives you for the Magic cards.
    The small box sized item is, well, a book. My wife got this for me a few years ago, and since you mentioned you like things that are, if i recall, "oddly Japanese", I figured this would fit. I have used a bunch of items in here, and they are surprisingly effective.
    db83241b.jpg
    Cool! Flipping through I see tips on curing a stuffy nose, becoming a better bowler, and preventing body odor. Handy indeed!
    The liquid sounding containers... well don't shake them too much. I personally don't really drink this item, I'm more of a fan of the fermented cane drinks and fermented grain mash that is made in your neck of the woods. My wife lived in Lexington, KY for a while, and we did visit a large number of these locations. This is a locally made (in Minneapolis) beverage, which I am told is insanely good, hopefully these will be enjoyed post haste.
    8ef6ddea.jpg
    A sampler of Surly brew!? Heck yeah these will be enjoyed! I'm more of a fan of the fermented cane myself, but I enjoy the barley pop as well.

The haul!
    d5decba2.jpg

5d4a60e0.jpg
    A URL!?

gift.jpg

*floored*

Seriously Eric, I'm blown away. Thank you so much!!! My backlog groans in agony.

Awesome Dachshund salt and pepper shakers. I should buy these. My wife and I went to the humane society a couple weeks ago to get a cat, and ended up adopting a dachshund. He kept wagging his tail and looking at us and stuff, so we couldn't resist.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote:

Awesome Dachshund salt and pepper shakers. I should buy these. My wife and I went to the humane society a couple weeks ago to get a cat, and ended up adopting a dachshund. He kept wagging his tail and looking at us and stuff, so we couldn't resist.

Ahhhh yes. The weenie-dog stare. I know it well.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:
    GiftGet.gif

f5d44e17.jpg

2ce819f5.jpg

ef30f925.jpg

86878b17.jpg
    adff6503.jpg
    628c2190.jpg
    0ea004c3.jpg
    db83241b.jpg
    8ef6ddea.jpg

The haul!
    d5decba2.jpg

5d4a60e0.jpg
    A URL!?

gift.jpg

*floored*

Yes, it was great indeed. That was a tasty lunch, and I didn't even fall asleep on the road! You (and the wife) should try to make it out to PAX next year, I know my wife and I are going to be attending, and are really looking forward to it. It was great to be able to meet you both (and roland as well). And have a merry christmas!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That's so cool! It's so neat when people can actually meet up.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I like how the Santa who met up with his Santee and bought him a meal considers himself a crappy Santa.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I like how the Santa who met up with his Santee and bought him a meal considers himself a crappy Santa.

@deveric is free to join me in the Not-So-Secret Santa club if he wishes. :D

The local orchard closes for the winter on Christmas Eve so I stopped by today to get two gallons of cider for spiced cider. I hope that's enough to last until Sunday. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqsrm04ZFRs

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    That is damn awesome. I really want to have a meetup, but being in Germany seems to limit this.
    I am continually floored by this community and I for a while I couldn't explain why (before I found out about SS threads), and now I just point to this as on reason of many that this is an awesome community.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Dear Santa,

I've been bad... and you should have probably given me nothing but a lump of coal (preferably the steam kind) because....

GiftGet.gif

Ok seriously, I did indeed get this when you sent it to me but i wasn't convinced it was from my secret santa, and delayed posting for some reason... Oops. Without further ado, because you've been waiting this long already.
    xQ4Cg.jpg

Sweet a game! I'm not too big on RTSs but I trust the wisdom of people here and if anyone thinks theres a game I need to play I shall play it. Paradox also makes amazing games so I have no doubt this game will be good. Reading up on the game it seems like the entire game is focused on economics and diplomacy and not things like combat (which is why I can never get into games like Total War) ... Pretty sure i'll enjoy this.

Thank you Santa, sorry once again for giving you a heart attack that this might be lost in my spam folder.

parabola on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    i did not realize there were so many mtg players!

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    Which sets are in that MTG toolkit? My PAX santa gave me a fat pack but i'm considering getting more.

• Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    1 booster of every Scars block, and one M12. The semi-random cards are from like, Zendikar block, Scars of Mirrodin, and M11 I think.

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I feel terrible. I've had my Santee's gift ready to roll for a week but have been laid up and haven't gotten to the post office to mail it out. Rest assured Santee, you'll be getting your gifts soon! Just not by Christmas like I'd hoped. I'm going to try and get it out today!

• Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Damn @LewieP's Mummy! Can I just commission things from you in the future?

Also, Santa:
    I'm going back to the mother's today and will be there until the 30thish so if your gift gets delivered in that time, I won't know about it!

...You are sending me something...aren't you?
    pussinboots.gif

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GiftGet.gif

Santa! What the heck, Santa! You've already gifted me, and then I show up to work today for the final half-day before winter holidays, and there's a crazy huge package on my desk!
    N7wdph.jpg

And what's inside?
    tKGMth.jpg

OH GOD LIKE HALF MY AMAZON.COM WISHLIST WHAT THE HECK
    luCU4h.jpg

Imperfect on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    DARKWING DUCK~!

• Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    parabola wrote:
    Dear Santa,

I've been bad... and you should have probably given me nothing but a lump of coal (preferably the steam kind) because....

GiftGet.gif

Ok seriously, I did indeed get this when you sent it to me but i wasn't convinced it was from my secret santa, and delayed posting for some reason... Oops. Without further ado, because you've been waiting this long already.
    xQ4Cg.jpg

Sweet a game! I'm not too big on RTSs but I trust the wisdom of people here and if anyone thinks theres a game I need to play I shall play it. Paradox also makes amazing games so I have no doubt this game will be good. Reading up on the game it seems like the entire game is focused on economics and diplomacy and not things like combat (which is why I can never get into games like Total War) ... Pretty sure i'll enjoy this.

Thank you Santa, sorry once again for giving you a heart attack that this might be lost in my spam folder.

Seriously, I was super concerned it got lost in the annals of the intwerwebz, or, even worse, that you didn't like it and didn't know how to respond. (I know, I know, I'm insecure), So I'm glad you finally got it :).
    Seriously though, I'm not much one for strategy games either, but I tried this game and it is super addictive. Also, it's turn based, not RTS, if that makes a difference at all. And your observation is correct, it's definitely more focused on the economics, diplomacy, bureaucracy, gov't and pretty much anything else you could think of in running a country/the world. There is some combat, but it is turn based, you can pause at any time and queue moves. I loved this game so much, that I forgot to do mandatory things, like urinate and eat and it was surprising because, like I said, this was basically my first real exposure to strategy games and Paradox did a fantastic job with this. I also got you the pack that comes with two full expansions (which I'm jealous of, because I don't even have 'em, ya lucky bastard :P). I loved it so much I had to share it with someone who hasn't played it. So enjoy, my fellow Canuck, and keep me posted on your goings-on with EU3, I'm always up for discussion about it.

Merry Christmas, Parabola

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote:
    GiftGet.gif

Santa! What the heck, Santa! You've already gifted me, and then I show up to work today for the final half-day before winter holidays, and there's a crazy huge package on my desk!
    N7wdph.jpg

And what's inside?
    tKGMth.jpg

OH GOD LIKE HALF MY AMAZON.COM WISHLIST WHAT THE HECK
    luCU4h.jpg

Yess!!!! I'm glad it made it there safely and actually way ahead of schedule! It wasn't supposed to arrive until the 28th, but this is way better!

Happy holidays! I hope you like it all!

• Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    I think I'm the only person who actually liked the latest remake of 'Solaris'. Didn't realize it was based off a book!

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Jeeze how long does it take to ship something from Ohio to Canada? I sent it out last Tuesday :(

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Icemopper, you've made my damn Christmas. I have a week and a bit of holidays starting this afternoon and I am going to read ALL THE BOOKS.

Thanks so, so much!

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Dachshund salt and pepper shakers--those are amazing. I need those.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    So at sending I was told my joy-box would take about two weeks to get there. Now, it is showing an estimated arrival at a time considerably sooner...I like this. Hopefully santee will be getting joyed up soon.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote:
    Icemopper, you've made my damn Christmas. I have a week and a bit of holidays starting this afternoon and I am going to read ALL THE BOOKS.

Thanks so, so much!

:D Horray! I'm so glad you like it! Enjoy the books, especially the ones with people making out on the cover. Those are probably best.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GiftGet.gif

Big thank you to @Allforce!

Here's the classy message:
    L4MS5.jpg

And the gift itself!
    JgYTS.jpg

I have really been wanting to watch this series for awhile but never got around to buying it or anything and well, now I can! Thank you good sir, it is really very appreciated. :D

Edit: Though now I'm wondering why they never released Cowboy Bebop on blu-ray. If they did that I'd snap it up for sure.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    parabola wrote:
    Which sets are in that MTG toolkit? My PAX santa gave me a fat pack but i'm considering getting more.

Depends what you're looking for. If you've literally got nothing, the deck builder kit is nice because it has a wide range of different boosters as well as lots of land. Which you'll need if you want to start building different decks. It's a great starter for those looking to get into (or back into) the game to build upon. The box is comes in works nicely to store cards as well.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    @PoultryGeist my blog tells you how to do that!

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote:
    Mwahaha. Ok, now the mission is really complete. :D

I'm glad you liked everything and the mug got there in one piece. I had a lot of fun putting everything together, even if the "story" was never consistent and I kept flopping in and out of character in the proxy messages. I also want to thank you again for getting me back into MGS, too, as my interest lapsed in the years between MGS4 and Peace Walker.

Did the REINDEER logo make it there or did Customs confiscate it? Just in case it's gone, this is what should have been taped on the other flap of the box opposite the codec letter:
    kGAyI.jpg

And did I ever fully throw you off the trail of my identity, or did you still always suspect it was me despite all of the false info I dropped about my Santee and shipping destination on the forum? I about had a heart attack when you posted publicly that you thought you knew who your Santee was because I had been a bit loose with info, but I tried to make the most of it and fit it into the package theme. TACTICAL ESPIONAGE GIFTING!

Oh yeah. If you'd like a downloadable/higher res version of the movie I made for you to keep, I uploaded it here along with a bunch of extras I used to make everything: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N32MG6SH

The youtube version if anyone missed it the first time around and because I'm proud of it :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yls8GmN1a9o

I'll shut up now. I babble a lot when I'm excited, as you noticed and had to endure in the rambling letter at the bottom of the box.

PS: I used my middle name instead of my first name on the mailing label. ;P
    PPS: Watching youtube clips trying to figure out what the mug referenced before I bought it also got me interested in community. Everybody wins! I'll probably be grabbing the DVDs after Christmas.

I just finished MGS4 for the first time, so even thought it wasn't geared towards me, I found this whole thing to be fantastic

I have also started Skyrim. I didn't think I was OCD, but man, I find myself searching every cranny and hating to have to discard anything.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    noir_blood wrote:
    I just finished MGS4 for the first time, so even thought it wasn't geared towards me, I found this whole thing to be fantastic

I have also started Skyrim. I didn't think I was OCD, but man, I find myself searching every cranny and hating to have to discard anything.

Thanks. :D Both years I've done this, I was lucky enough to get Santees who were really into some of my favorite games (last year was Mass Effect). I think I'd have trouble doing a themed box for something I didn't like or know anything about.

And haha, yeah. I'm pretty sure I spend more time managing inventory than beating things with a mace in that game. At least I've stopped picking up everything that wasn't nailed down or marked "Stolen".

Edit: I should say, I didn't make the song. I'm not 100% sure what its origin is and the lyrics only bring up one search result, but one of my friend who's more into the indie game scene thinks that Arthur "Mr. Podunkian" Lee made it. He's probably best known for The Underside and Merry Gear Solid games.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote:

Big thank you to @Allforce!

Glad you got it and hope you enjoy! I wanted to let you know I sent it to your regular residence and not your university hall but couldn't figure out how to contact Proxy The Elf, his info is not in the OP!

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Lots of great stuff. Nice to see. Pretty jealous about the Surly beer.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    GiftGet.gif
    On Last Month's episode of Gift Get my secret santa totally gifted me a copy of Skyrim, and there was much rejoicing, but he decided to remain secret as apparently another gift was coming. I was both sad and excited.

well guess what suckers! SECOND GIFT GET! woooooo

IMG037.jpg
    oh shit dawgs, it came with priority!

IMG038.jpg
    oh shit fancy wrapping and card action!

IMG039.jpg
    Urahonky has revealed himself to me! I love that guy!

IMG040.jpg
    Oh shit! That is some Grade A Stalking.

Valkyria Chronicles is my Great White Whale! I rented it years ago when it first came out for PS3 and loved it but only got 1/3rd of the way through or so before I had to return it. It only came out in a small run in Canada and is no longer available in stores and hasn't been since basically the first week it came out back in 2009. Every Single Time I pass through a mall I walk into EB Games and check if they have any used copies. I've been doing this for like 2 years. Usually they won't have any but every so often they'll have a copy used that they are selling for 40 bucks up here which I refuse to pay since you can get it for like less than 20 in the States (if you can find it).

VC along with Skyrim was a Secret Santa wish come true! Thanks so much Urahonky, also holy crap I can't believe you spent so much money on me!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    Merry Christmas Eve Eve, y'all

mrheist-wide.png