As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Virtual Console/WiiWare Secret Santa 2011: DONE! Any tips/thoughs for next year?

124»

• grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    thanks mz very fun little game

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Re: VCSS Feedback. I think everything works pretty well now. It'd be cool if we could be granted Sticky status in hopes of drawing in more people, but I guess that's not really up to the Virtual Console Santa King/Queen.

The time frame is pretty nice too. Even if someone is participating in the standard secret santa, there's a good chance that they'll be done with it by time the week before Christmas rolls around. That gives something else to look forward too, I think.

soempty.jpg
    AaronKI wrote:
    Re: VCSS Feedback. I think everything works pretty well now. It'd be cool if we could be granted Sticky status in hopes of drawing in more people, but I guess that's not really up to the Virtual Console Santa King/Queen.

The time frame is pretty nice too. Even if someone is participating in the standard secret santa, there's a good chance that they'll be done with it by time the week before Christmas rolls around. That gives something else to look forward too, I think.
    yeah being stickyed to the top would help so much I've completely missed this thread so many times and ended giving up when I hit the 5th page

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I tried to get last year's thread stickied but it was deemed unnecessary, partly because of the actual Secret Santa thread existing and already being stickied.

I think I just came up with a Plan B for next year though: If next year's thread can't be stickied, every participant should/must add a link to the thread in their sigs at least through the sign-up period to help raise awareness.

That sound good?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    BTP wrote:
    Yeah, I tried to get last year's thread stickied but it was deemed unnecessary, partly because of the actual Secret Santa thread existing and already being stickied.

I think I just came up with a Plan B for next year though: If next year's thread can't be stickied, every participant should/must add a link to the thread in their sigs at least through the sign-up period to help raise awareness.

That sound good?

I don't know about making it mandatory, but simply encouraging it would be great. Actually, I wish I had thought of that before!

soempty.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Here's hoping its not too big next year, the small number of entrants means I get to do the bonus game. :P

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Let it be known that Grim123 gifted me a WiiWare game: Frobot. I haven't heard anything about this game (well, really any WiiWare games) so I really appreciate the gift! I will be getting too it sometime later since it's 2:30am and I've stayed up WAY past my bedtime to finish Skyward Sword (I didn't finish it either... :( )

ALSO MaximumZero! He gifted me Tomena Sanner! Another game I've not heard about, but cannot wait to dive into. Seriously thanks guys! I love doing this every year!

edited December 2011
    urahonky wrote:
    Let it be known that Grim123 gifted me a WiiWare game: Frobot. I haven't heard anything about this game (well, really any WiiWare games) so I really appreciate the gift! I will be getting too it sometime later since it's 2:30am and I've stayed up WAY past my bedtime to finish Skyward Sword (I didn't finish it either... :( )

ALSO MaximumZero! He gifted me Tomena Sanner! Another game I've not heard about, but cannot wait to dive into. Seriously thanks guys! I love doing this every year!

I gifted Tomena Sanner to everybody else that wasn't my santee, the same way I gifted Muscle March to everybody else last year. :D

Unfortunately it's not quite as...embarrassing to play in front of friends and loved ones as Muscle March is, (I would have done Cho Aniki had it not been 900 points) but it certainly fits the quirkiness I was looking for and the price was right.

(And pickin's are slim on Wiiware the at 500 point level.)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Thanks a bunch Maximum for Tomena Sanner. I hadn't heard of it before. It is...interesting and zany. My wife and I were laughing at many of the antics as I was playing it last night. You are awesome!

Now add me to your 3DS friend list! :x

:D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Done now add me back
    5241 1920 9496
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    Thanks a bunch Maximum for Tomena Sanner. I hadn't heard of it before. It is...interesting and zany. My wife and I were laughing at many of the antics as I was playing it last night. You are awesome!

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Just added you Grim!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Done. Sending a doodle now.

FU7kFbw.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Santee check your PMs and your Wii!

The Classic Controller Pro solves the normal Classic Controller's problem of being about as easy to hang on to as a greased up pig, right?

'Cause dang, I stink at these games and I'm going to blame it on the controller. :P

soempty.jpg
    Turkey, thanks for the gifts!

I'm getting ready for mass at the moment so I'll say my proper thanks later tonight or tomorrow morning.

FU7kFbw.png
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    Well, in case it wasn't obvious by now, everyone has received their gifts. Yay! Everyone can use the thread for talking about their gifts, leaving feedback for what to do next year, etc.

And a special thanks to "schlew" for giving me a Fluidity code from Club Nintendo out of the blue. Looks like gifting by sending codes works after all.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    So, apologize for being delayed on this post. Christmas happened and then a Saints game happened and I got swept up in everything in between.

ANYWHO, Turkey gifted me the following:

JThplAtS_9uLXHXUlOu4JeGfFUE73qrr.jpg

MDK2
    This one was the biggest surprise of the bunch because I had forgotten that the game was even ported to Wiiware. Excited to play through it, as I never have, though I've played the den on my Dreamcast a few dozen times easily.

9zpBAG9IyL1p8ogMKJwTts1Lg9jbQ3L9.jpg

Fluidity
    This one was gifted via a Club Nintendo code, but its all the same to me. Played the demo a while back, enjoyed it, but not enough so to pay for it, so this is perfect. :P

TgF6f3pW1IXYwsFZsLD6Ea4Si_gVaLQD.png

Harvest Moon
    Believe it or not I've never played a Harvest Moon title, though I've bought them for many friends and family, namely my girlfriend, who is super into the series. I remember reading an article on this game in Nintendo Power back in the day and being intrigued, but I didn't own a SNES. 15 year late, but I'll finally get to play it.

aycY3XqXOB-iwjaRXA4fila0oAAT1H5v.png

Uforuia: The Saga
    I know little to nothing about this one so I'm going in blind. I know it's critically lauded but that's about it.

FU7kFbw.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I just wanted to say that Tomena Sanner is kinda awesome!

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    Grove wrote:
    BTP wrote:
    Grove wrote:
    So wait, Willeth didn't get a Santa? Odd numbers?

Willeth is in the UK, and no one else in the UK on this board signed up this year. Same thing with me but Canada. Gifting is region locked by country.

Oh ok damn. I had some points left over, was gonna gift him something.

You are a kind man.

I ended up buying Cave Story, if anyone's curious. Merry Christmas to me!

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited January 2012
    Willeth wrote:
    Grove wrote:
    BTP wrote:
    Grove wrote:
    So wait, Willeth didn't get a Santa? Odd numbers?

Willeth is in the UK, and no one else in the UK on this board signed up this year. Same thing with me but Canada. Gifting is region locked by country.

Oh ok damn. I had some points left over, was gonna gift him something.

You are a kind man.

I ended up buying Cave Story, if anyone's curious. Merry Christmas to me!

If Club Nintendo's codes work worldwide I'd be willing to slide you a code for one of month's offerings.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png