As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paul Christoforo vs. The World or How to stop worrying and love the internet bomb

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    the product is made for the best possible reasons, so i'm hoping the people who make it drop this guy like the poison potato he is.

then everyone can buy the product later.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    tyrannus wrote:
    Here's why the Avenger controller was designed originally:
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/04/15/inventive-teacher-gives-disabled-student-control/

This is very awesome, and also makes me uneasy that this happened. Thankfully most of the internet vile seems to be directed at the guy and his company, rather than the product itself.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    TharsmanTharsman Registered User regular
    . What’s more, he said that his job isn’t really to deal with individual customers like Dave, but rather to strike deals with companies like GameStop and BestBuy. Those companies are buying his wares, so he “doesn’t care about anyone else.” Why? Because as long as his products are on store shelves, people will buy them.

Translation: the only way this will hurt him is if every angry GameStop and BestBuy consumer contacts the chains and threatens to walk out of the stores if they see the Avenger controller on the shelves?

Man the guy loves to make it easy to us!!! ;)

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Deebaser wrote:
    So much for "the costumer is always right"....

You know what, Fuck that phrase. The customer is very rarely right and most often a total fuckstick.

I want to punch whoever came up with that phrase in the dick.

It's become a bastardized, all-consuming monster compared to what it really meant. At its inception, it meant little more than give the customer good service, because that's how you profit. It's been turned on its head though, to mean you must placate even the most vitriolic, useless, sad excuse for a human being who spews their bile all over you over any perceived slight or transgression. It actually engenders bad customer service, because employees know nothing they can do will be "right", and your good, loyal customers see fucksticks getting all kinds of perks and special treatment just because they're fucksticks.

http://positivesharing.com/2006/07/why-the-customer-is-always-right-results-in-bad-customer-service/

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    Here's why the Avenger controller was designed originally:
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/04/15/inventive-teacher-gives-disabled-student-control/

This is very awesome, and also makes me uneasy that this happened. Thankfully most of the internet vile seems to be directed at the guy and his company, rather than the product itself.

I really, really, really want to know what David Kotkin thinks about this whole thing.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Feral wrote:
    I really, really, really want to know what David Kotkin thinks about this whole thing.

Same here. If his relationship with this guy is just business, I hope he consider breaking those ties. Let's hope this is not a "but that’s my cousin, I can’t fire him!" situation.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Matt that article is amazing.

I still remember instances working retail where the customer would throw a loud abusive temper tantrums over the stupidest shit, like us not honoring expired coupons, and the manager coming over to override it anyway because "the customer is always right". Those fucking overgrown children would usually shoot me a look of "See. I got my way. Fuck you!"

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:

You know what, Fuck that phrase. The customer is very rarely right and most often a total fuckstick.

It's become a bastardized, all-consuming monster compared to what it really meant. At its inception, it meant little more than give the customer good service, because that's how you profit. It's been turned on its head though, to mean you must placate even the most vitriolic, useless, sad excuse for a human being who spews their bile all over you over any perceived slight or transgression. It actually engenders bad customer service, because employees know nothing they can do will be "right", and your good, loyal customers see fucksticks getting all kinds of perks and special treatment just because they're fucksticks.

http://positivesharing.com/2006/07/why-the-customer-is-always-right-results-in-bad-customer-service/

Nice article. I want to read that book about Southwest's CEO. He seems like an interesting guy.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:

Good article, thanks for posting that.

So far this whole thing has made my slow Tuesday at work a good one.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    positivesharing.com seems like a pretty baller corporate labor webbsite.
    me likey.
    Thanks again for the article.

• Options
    Tharsman wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Same here. If his relationship with this guy is just business, I hope he consider breaking those ties. Let's hope this is not a "but that’s my cousin, I can’t fire him!" situation.

Christofucko is like a parody of all the self-styled alpha male bullshit artists who have rolled through every company I've ever worked with, claiming to do marketing or sales or recruiting or search engine optimization, but have no actual business skills. I swear there's a factory somewhere producing guys like this.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    From twitter
    williambgoss William Goss
    .@cwgabriel - you should see these: twitpic.com/7zcdhd twitpic.com/7zcdtw twitpic.com/7zcdzp twitpic.com/7zce72 twitpic.com/7zcedg
    tl;dr = He's a pretty blatant plagiarist.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Feral wrote:
    Tharsman wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Christofucko is like a parody of all the self-styled alpha male bullshit artists who have rolled through every company I've ever worked with, claiming to do marketing or sales or recruiting or search engine optimization, but have no actual business skills. I swear there's a factory somewhere producing guys like this.

In that factory they synergize web 2.0 actuality.

• Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:

You're of course both right, it should just be some kind of vague general principle - not some prime directive for anyone dealing with consumers.
    My point was that Paul probably wouldn't be in this mess if he had some form of respect for his costumers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KeiosKeios Registered User regular
    You have to wonder if the company that has hired him for marketing and public relations is in a position after all this to sue him for breach of contract. Presumably they would be in a position to argue that they hired him in good faith to represent them in a professional and courteous manner. This is, I should think, a not unreasonable set of expectations when hiring a marketing (sorry, marketting, can't forget that double T) company. By acting like a self-absorbed fuckwit in such a massively public manner he is going to be hurting their sales and their brand image. And really, isn't that the exact opposite of what his job should be?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    Aww he deleted his twitter account. This was getting fun aswell.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    Matt that article is amazing.

I still remember instances working retail where the customer would throw a loud abusive temper tantrums over the stupidest shit, like us not honoring expired coupons, and the manager coming over to override it anyway because "the customer is always right". Those fucking overgrown children would usually shoot me a look of "See. I got my way. Fuck you!"

Yeah, I spent 3 years working at a Blockbuster being ground under the heel of "the customer is always right." What's great is now working somewhere that doesn't apply. The look on people's faces when they realize "holy shit, I'm not getting my way" is priceless.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular

Nope, just changed the name.

http://twitter.com/#!/oceanstratagy

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    V Faction wrote:

TIME FOR A RE-BRANDING! Holy shit.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    LOL!

@OceanMarketting has changed to @OceanStratagy

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Stratagy.

Stratagy.

This just keeps getting so much better.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    And again with the misspelling. You'd think this guy would know how to spell "Marketing" and "Strategy" if they're so important to his business, wouldn't you?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Keios wrote:
    And again with the misspelling. You'd think this guy would know how to spell "Marketing" and "Strategy" if they're so important to his business, wouldn't you?

Well, too late now.

https://twitter.com/#!/OceanStrategy

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Was OceanStrategery taken?

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    People like this are why so many companies insist on canned responses for email replies.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    V Faction wrote:
    Keios wrote:

Well, too late now.

https://twitter.com/#!/OceanStrategy

The internet hate machine is in rare form today.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Henroid wrote:
    V Faction wrote:

TIME FOR A RE-BRANDING! Holy shit.

WTF? This guy knows anything about marketing? Rebranding IS a thihng you HAVE to do once something like this happens, but you are supposed to wait about 2 months to do it!

You dont start rebranding when you are still in the spotlight because you are noticed, and then vultures will trully never rest until you rebrand again.

And he misspelled the name again?!

Tharsman on
  • Options
    Syphyre wrote:
    Was OceanStrategery taken?

:^: for Bugs Bunny

• Options
    As an aside- I can't be the only person who read the emails from him in the voice of White Goodman (Ben Stiller's character in Dodgeball) can I?
    I've got shareholders, you don't even have... Cup holders!
    Wouldn't look entirely out of place in amongst that lot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    This guy's pathetic

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    NO ONE MAKES ME BLEED MY OWN BLOOD

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    How does he still have a job. Jesus.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This is surreal.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    You guys don't get Marketting. The extra T is for "tryitisawesome" and the "A" in Stratagy is for "allpressisgoodPR"

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that thinks that Dave acted like an ass as well? Paul's mistake was basically telling the dude the exact same thing pretty much anyone in his position would have liked to.

Yeah, it definitely wasn't professional, and Paul just kept digging his own grave, but Dave's "welcome to the internet" thing, as well as his constant focus on how dare a company keep his money and PROFIT OF THE INTEREST just bugs me.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote:
    From twitter
    williambgoss William Goss
    .@cwgabriel - you should see these: twitpic.com/7zcdhd twitpic.com/7zcdtw twitpic.com/7zcdzp twitpic.com/7zce72 twitpic.com/7zcedg
    tl;dr = He's a pretty blatant plagiarist.

It would seem to me that a company that's job is to make your shit show up among top results in search engines would want to go the extra mile when it comes to copying things online word for word. Things which could very easily be googled and traced back to their original source. That would be obvious to anyone remotely internet savvy, let alone a company that deals with internet exposure. It's a pretty gross display of incompetence.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    While Dave isn't the most awesome dude ever, he doesn't come close to earning the "horrible customer" cheevo wither.

The interest thing only came up after he was told that the merch he pre-ordered in early November will arrive before or after Christmas. I would get a little pissy if I someone told me this on December 20th.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    What is

Who in the

I

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Maybe I am stupid, but I don't get why our Dave emailed Paul in the first place?

I'm on the Avenger controller website, and Ocean Marketing's site, and I don't see the link

Help me out?

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    wow this dude just cannot spell.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
This discussion has been closed.