As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Jyardana wrote:
    big l wrote:
    Squatted 405#x5x5 today. It didn't feel too tough while doing it but now I'm home and I have no ice cream and am getting dope fiend jitters. My whole body is sore and hurts and my body is saying "Ice cream will help! Ice cream will help!". I have to go to the store.

You gotta do it. Got to feed the squat hunger.

Ice cream and chilli will fix you up

Two days a week call for a 30-45min recover between my sprinting/plyos and lifting so I head over to the nearby icecream place and pound down a 16oz chocolate malt.

On days that I don't my lifting actually suffers.

During my first run at smolov I ate everything in sight. More ice cream than I've done in my life.

End of base cycle - had lost 3kg.

People get too hung up on calories, imo. If you are busting your ass, just make sure you are hitting close to the right ratios for macros and keep eating.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Too right.

Anyway, just finished my last workout for the year and am about to jump on the train to head home and see the family. Merry Christmas bigmen and women. Enjoy some rest and some food and we'll light it up with some heavy stuff next year.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Sounds good. This year, I'm down by the Mexican border, sweating in 70 degree heat. Still haven't acclimated yet.

Enjoy your Christmas everyone.

• SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    So I've drastically changed my lifting schedule and now go 4 days, with a rest every 2 days in the following cycle:

1. Leg day (squats, leg press/lunges, leg extensions
    2. Chest day (Bench press, DB incline press, DB flies)
    3. Shoulder day (Deadlift, Press, front raises, side raises)
    4. Back day (chin-ups/lat pulldown, DB rows, DB curls)

I've also increased my reps to 3x10 and I've added 20 minutes of cardio at the end before I go home. After a couple weeks, I have already noticed a HUGE difference.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    How come deadlift is on shoulder day? In my opinion, you should switch around DB curls and deadlift.

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Deadlifts do a lot for your traps

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    No denying that. I'd always considered the traps a part of the back though, not the shoulders. *shrug*

"Be excellent to each other."
    Eh. It doesn't really matter is what I'm saying.

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    I am eschewing the request to eschew these forums to simply post that I've partially torn the UCL in my thumb and it hurts like a motherfucker.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Pulled 325 for a triple yesterday and it felt good. 5-3-1's been a good move so far, it's nice to have good solid progression instead of herky jerky well I'll be I lifted what? kind of progression.

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    I'm so fucking dumb.

I was getting antsy yesterday to get back in the gym and make up for lost time over the weekend (because the gym was closed for Christmas), so in addition to my regular 5-Hour Energy, I also drank a small Red Bull.

And found that I was so jittery that my arms were literally shaking as I tried to bench or do DB work. I sat in my car listening to podcasts for about an hour, waiting for it to wear off, but no luck. I went home, took a nap, the came back to the gym at night to finish my chest day.

tl;dr: I'm so fucking dumb.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Next time I get sick and have to take a significant portion of time off from the gym, I need to remember to keep stretching or at least stretch the day before I go back in. My shoulder is not happy with me right now and it's definitely because everything was way too tight.

Gork on
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Well, bigmans, I'm kinda nervous.

About three months ago, I started hitting the gym. I started with a kinda, I dunno, wussy 'this is hiw you get not lame' routine that a trainer cooked up for me. It was the kind of thing you see getting handed out to middle-aged folks and fat people (I'm neither), but it helped. A lot.

I'd set my goal at losing 15lbs(down to 185) and cutting to about 15-18% body fat(from 23%). Even after adding upped protein to my diet and switching to a 5x5 style routine, I've managed to hit my weight goal, though I float around it a bit by about 5lbs. As far as the body fat goes, I have no idea yet, but I DO know that I can see actual abdominal and lat muscle.

Now, I'm staring at my next set of goals. I established them those three months back: go from 15-inch biceps, to 20 by june, and have defined, serious pecs; actually, I'm looking to start actually bodybuilding. Baasically, I'm going to have to switch from yuppy workout to an actual weight training regime. I've already added an inch to my bis, but...I'm fuckin scared, honestly. I'm afraid I'm gonna meet with this trainer, and I'm gonna have nothing to bring. Like, even though I'm aware that I've upped all of my lift weights so far, he's just gonna be like 'nah, you're a bitch- never gonna be swole.' And, uh... this is pretty much the most important thing going on in my life. I mean aside from keeping my job and roof.

Like, I look in the mirror and see good stuff. But I'm scared. This is all I really care about.

Sorry, bigbros. I don't have anywhere else to say this stuff.

edited December 2011
    You aren't going to add 5 inches to your biceps in six months. That's flat out impossible. Don't worry about what your trainer thinks, you're the boss, not him. Just keep up with it and you'll see results over time. It's a marathon, not a sprint

Tube on
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Technically, it'd be 9 months. But, yeah, I kinda figured it was a little impractical when I set the goal back then. The main goal is really just to be a helluva lot bigger by then.

I know for me the struggle has been shifting my attitude from one that's massive goal based to one that's small goal based and focused on the process. It seems like if you're a casual lifter that you start with exciting progress and beginner gains and then you stall out and have to realize that it's just not going to come that easily anymore. I'm used to getting good at things fast and lifting just doesn't work that way.

Give it everything you have, don't measure yourself against anyone other than yourself, and be willing to be patient. You'll get there.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    If you focus on your biceps that much you are also probably going to get disgusting stretch marks. I reference my many disgusting stretch marks as evidence.

Hit a nice new PR on bench today (actually did two reps so I can go heavier, which is nice) and a new PR doing 5x3 front squats. Good day.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Hi guys, need your help.

My little brother is horrendously out of shape

He is twelve, and I know that's young to do any sort of workout routine or anything, but I got him a year's membership at my gym

I also started him on weight watchers

But mainly, I need to know what to have him do there with me

What, for how long, etc.

Also, I got my dad to sign up too. I was wondering if anybody had any of Tube or Wook's old workout routines lying around for me to give to him.

lfYVHTd.png
    What's your goal for your brother? Your dad? Better fitness, better strength, better sized muscles?

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Better fitness, for both. The kid needs to lose weight and get healthy in general.

For my dad, he's not gonna stick with the gym for long. He has a very busy, active job so he stays pretty healthy aside from his gut, and he doesn't drink so he's mostly fine.

I just wanna keep them occupied and interested for as long as I can

I know just bringing him and being like "okay hop on the eliptical while I go lift" isn't gonna do much for him, and the last time my dad came to the gym with me he just messed around on the machines for an hour

But He bought a year and I bought my little brother a year and I plan on making them use it.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    Honestly for someone who's only 12 don't act like a drill instructor when it comes to the gym. Focus on getting him to eat better, since he's 12 I assume you/your parents are in charge of what he eats so pay more attention to what he eats and not how much, and see if you can find a sport that he'd like to play. Speaking as a slow chubby kid when I was younger I took to hockey like a fish to water since you always skate faster than you run and at a certain point being a little heavier works to your advantage.

edited December 2011
    Well, I live in Southern California, so hockey is a little harder to do. :p

Finding things he's interested in is tough. He pretty much only plays video games all day, every day. He's incredibly unenthusiastic about coming to the gym with me tomorrow.

And what he does eat is horrible.

I'm gonna have a talk with my dad and see if I can be in charge of the grocery shopping from now on.

The main issue is that he is a complete pothead so he likes to buy tons of munchies. I'm not sure how to offset that, it's not really my place.

So I just gotta make it clear to my little brother that we aren't gonna partake in that shit anymore.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    For the first few trips, we're gonna take it slow.

We'll run on the treadmill for fifteen, twenty minutes, I'll introduce him to the machines, make him do a few reps on each

But I wanna come up with a routine for him, cuz it'll be easier to stick to if we go on the same days each week and there's more of a plan to it

I dunno. Being responsible or someone else's fitness is making me really nervous.

lfYVHTd.png
    For your dad at least (and this is completely biased) but weightlifting with a real plan can supply its own motivation pretty quickly. It doesn't take long with beginner gains before you start to see and feel a real difference in yourself and that can supply all of the motivation that a person needs.

Does your gym have a basketball or racquetball courts? Could you get your brother to run around and mess around with that? It's fun and doesn't feel so much like exercise.

Also people need to quit bringing cookies in, they'll be the death of me. I told myself that every day that I ate office sweets that I'd have to use the bathroom on the top floor and take the stairs up to it and that's six long ass staircases. I've done it twice already and my legs are en fuego.

Peen wrote:
    For your dad at least (and this is completely biased) but weightlifting with a real plan can supply its own motivation pretty quickly. It doesn't take long with beginner gains before you start to see and feel a real difference in yourself and that can supply all of the motivation that a person needs.

Haha yeah that's why I was hoping someone had one of Tube's old workout routines lying around.
    Does your gym have a basketball or racquetball courts? Could you get your brother to run around and mess around with that? It's fun and doesn't feel so much like exercise.
    Nah this place is pretty much just straight up cardio and free weights, unfortunately.

lfYVHTd.png
    What part of Southern California? I know the Ducks(Anaheim) and the Sharks(San Jose), and I think the Kings(L.A.) have multiple rinks around with youth teams and stuff like that. That or rollerhockey.

Hockey aside, just focus on having the food in your house be as good as possible. You can't control what he does away from home, but you can try to influence it as best as possible. Hell, teach him how to cook real good food. Chicken alfredo isn't the best thing in the world for you, but it's certainly better than mountain dew and cheetos and relatively easy to make while tasting good.

edited December 2011
    Peen wrote:

Haha yeah that's why I was hoping someone had one of Tube's old workout routines lying around.

Go Here, click on "Training Programs," see what looks good. Get hooooooge.

I'd start with the basic Starting Strength program if he hasn't already been lifting.

Peen on
    I've been trying to make chicken and rice and tuna and cranberry juice and such more mainstays in his diet than hot dogs and bread and soda and stuff.

My introduction of sriracha into his life has helped since that stuff makes anything taste good.

lfYVHTd.png
    Okay so

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

So monday he does A, 3 sets of 5 reps at whatever weight he can do that at and so on?

Then wednesday he does B?

Then Friday he does A?

Am I reading that right?

lfYVHTd.png
    Yeah. The idea is that you pick a working weight, whatever it might be, and then you add weight to that (usually 5 pounds) each time you work out. A popular variant is to substitute barbell rows for power cleans in Workout B because power cleans are more technical and harder to get down.

It's simple and short and that's the point. If you add weight each workout then it definitely gets challenging and rad.

Yeah I royally fucked up my back the first time I went for a clean, seeing as he's 45 I'll probably have him substitute rows

I mean he used to play football in high school just like me but he's been out of practice for a while

Just wanna ease him back in

lfYVHTd.png
    Where does the cardio come into play there? On the off days? In between each exercise?

Or do you just do that and call her good for the day?

lfYVHTd.png
    why is this all making me so fucking nervous

lfYVHTd.png
    I think cardio can come in wherever you want it. It doesn't sound like either of them are lifting to be as strong as possible so there's no huge worry over "My gainz!". I run/skate on non-lifting days usually or if my schedule forces it I'll do them on the same day and be none the worse for wear.

Yeah no this is just a general get healthier thing

I'm hoping my little brother takes to it like I did and wants to explore weightlifting, cuz having a little brother for a lifting buddy would be cool before I move away

lfYVHTd.png
    Okay, thank you guys, I feel a lot better and a lot less nervous about this whole thing now.

lfYVHTd.png
    Bwa ha, third place on the fitocracy leaderboard is mine. That's what you get for taking the holidays off @BEAST!

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Yeah no this is just a general get healthier thing

Dead Prez would like to offer their two cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTAhSJt_8x8

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    Bwa ha, third place on the fitocracy leaderboard is mine. That's what you get for taking the holidays off @BEAST!

you know if you want i can set a "challenge" thing starting in like january
    i dunno how that works

anyway i took the holidays off because i'm a bum and was home and i had horrible indigestion all week so i couldn't eat or shit
    excuses excuses

poo
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I feel like I should have kept up with entering my Fitocracy information, but I also think it was negatively influencing what I was doing. There was a point where I was doing certain exercises because it would get me more points, and that is a terrible way to do things.

This discussion has been closed.