As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2011 - Get with the gifting!

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Hm. Considering it's almost January and my Santa still hasn't revealed their identity, it's looking like he/she has decided to stay anonymous. I'd still like to know who to direct my thanks to if you change your mind. :P

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    DawasaurusDawasaurus In a forestRegistered User regular
    I still haven't heard anything from my Santa, either. No idea what that jolly rascal is planning.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Woohoo! Santa just proxied me a tracking number! So pumped!

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I almost forgot to thank @initiatefailure again for Ghost Trick. I got some good time on my lunch break and I'm really digging it so far. Great animations and graphic style as well as really imaginative gameplay.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Instead of editing in pictures to a post three days old, I'll just make a new one here.
    GiftGet.gif
    Our journey begins with a mysterious, rumpled bag shoved in my mail bin. Wherever this thing's come from, it's had a hard life. It may be good to be the king, but the Royal Mail doesn't have it so easy.
    CIMG0558.jpg

The customs form appeared to itemize what was inside, so I let my eye skip past it and commence with ze opening!
    First of all, we have a card, with my handle written so finely that Gutenberg would look upon his Bible and weep in shame.
    CIMG0565.jpg
    CIMG0566.jpg
    The picture doesn't really work, but it's one of those cards that you tilt back and forth to create an illusion of movement. Oddly enough, this one is vertical. Waving it about causes the polar bear to run about merrily.

On to the meat of the card:
    CIMG0567.jpg
    Dear Bursar
    Sorry to be lame and get you something from your wish list but it at least guarantees you getting something you want. I also got you a book by one of my favourite (yet totally obscure) authors. I haven't read it yet so let me know if it is any good.
    If it makes it through customs, there should be some sugary snacks to go with this. You may wonder why I sent a can of coke, but, having spent a few days drinking your HFCS cole this year, I thought you might like to know what REAL coke tastes like!
    Hope you have a great holiday and a fantastic 2012!
    Love Rook!

I'll be honest with you: if you did one of those "handwriting-to-font" services, I would be willing to front some of the cost just to get to use this lettering on my computer.
    I agree with you about the cola, but luckily in California it isn't hard to get a handle on Mexican Coke (that also uses real sugar) when the urge arises. But they don't come in souvenir-sized cans! :P

CANDY CANDY CANDY
    CIMG0564.jpg
    The label says "Jelly Beans," though I could have sworn they were "Jellybabies"! Hmm... Some investigation is in order.

CIMG0562.jpg
    Perversely, I sometimes look forward to getting a slight cold just because some flavors of cough drops taste so good. But now I don't have to put up with all the mucus! Thanks!

CIMG0563.jpg
    The aforementioned Coke. I think I was flexing mightily to make my hand look as swole as possible in comparison. ...Never mind.

CIMG0561.jpg
    Perhaps, now that the dollar is falling, Rook is trying to help me by sending some of Glen Beck's favorite element (rampant insanity isn't an element; I've checked).
    Wait, this is chocolate! Haha, it was a clever ruse to get this candy past customs by camouflaging it as precious metal. I'm on to you!

CIMG0560.jpg
    Not one, but two gigantic candy bars.

As if this gift isn't kind enough... It's kinder.
    CIMG0559.jpg

Completely unexpected, and very thoughtful. Thanks, Rook!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Dat handwriting!

And not a gift get from my Santa, but dev|eric stopped by on his road trip around the east and hung out with me for a bit! It was awesome, and he did indeed gift me some local beers! They were ice cold, meaning he somehow kept them ice cold for the many days he's been on the road. Thanks dev|eric!

• Options
    the_stamythe_stamy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GiftGet3.gif
    I got back from staying with my Mom for Christmas, and there was a package waiting for me!
    IMG_5943.JPG
    Nine numbered presents were inside:
    IMG_5944.JPG

Earl Grey Tea
    IMG_5946.JPG

TARDIS mug
    IMG_5949.JPG

Godiva Chocolate Bars
    IMG_5950.JPG

Single-Origin Chocolate from Ecuador
    IMG_5954.JPG

Rocky Road Bar
    IMG_5956.JPG

Prinny for PSP
    IMG_5957.JPG

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
    IMG_5958.JPG

Settlers of Catan Card Game
    IMG_5959.JPG

AND a hand-made painting of the five Magic: The Gathering Symbols!!!!
    IMG_5964a.jpg

I still have no idea who you are, Secret Santa, but you ROCK!!!!! Thank you!

the_stamy on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Nice haul!

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Man that's an awesome bunch of stuff!

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Awesome haul indeed. Can you post a bigger picture of the Magic painting?

Double bergamot? If anyone ever gave that to me, it would probably be as a spite gift. :lol:

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    'Tis I! I'm happy you like it all!
    I wondered if you were away for the holidays...I'm glad it all arrived in one piece (especially the mug!).
    Did you find the letter inside? Should have been in an envelope labeled Allons-y (because Tennant rules)?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Oh wow, a TARDIS mug! I was given a Dalek mug for Christmas by a friend, but a TARDIS one!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Doctor Who mugs look awesome, but they also look really easy to spill tea all over yourself with. :P If I didn't already own far too many mugs, I'd be incredibly tempted to buy one.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote:
    Instead of editing in pictures to a post three days old, I'll just make a new one here.
    GiftGet.gif
    Our journey begins with a mysterious, rumpled bag shoved in my mail bin. Wherever this thing's come from, it's had a hard life. It may be good to be the king, but the Royal Mail doesn't have it so easy.
    CIMG0558.jpg

Hey! Great to see everything arrived ok (even if it all looks a bit strange when you see it in pictures... did I really send a can of coke and some chewing gum to the USA?).

• Options
    the_stamythe_stamy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Awesome haul indeed. Can you post a bigger picture of the Magic painting?

Here's a closeup:
    IMG_5961.JPG
    Did you find the letter inside? Should have been in an envelope labeled Allons-y (because Tennant rules)?
    Nope, missed it. Searches through box... Aha! Here we go:
    Allons-y.jpg

In answer to each item:

Signed PA Poster (see previous post here):
    Poor, sick Gabe. Happy Christmasss to you, too!

1. Never had this one before, but Earl Grey ("hot.") is one of my favorites.
    2. LOVE the mug. It's bigger on the inside.
    3. GODIVA !!!!!!1!!!!!1
    4. This lasted approximately 2 minutes after I opened the box, so yes, I liked it.
    5. The marshmallow in this is amazing, thanks for introducing me to it.
    6. Because exploding penguins are made of win.
    7. I KNOW, RIGHT? Didn't have it on DVD yet, so thank you.
    8. Yay! Can't wait to play this at the next game night.
    9. I squeed when I saw this, seriously. It's going to hang in my office as soon as I get off my butt and find something to hang it with.

Thank you again Custom Special!

the_stamy on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    Hope something's outside my door tomorrow :D

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote:
    GiftGet.gif
    CIMG0558.jpg

The customs form appeared to itemize what was inside, so I let my eye skip past it and commence with ze opening!
    First of all, we have a card, with my handle written so finely that Gutenberg would look upon his Bible and weep in shame.
    CIMG0565.jpg
    CIMG0566.jpg
    The picture doesn't really work, but it's one of those cards that you tilt back and forth to create an illusion of movement. Oddly enough, this one is vertical. Waving it about causes the polar bear to run about merrily.

On to the meat of the card:
    CIMG0567.jpg
    Dear Bursar
    Sorry to be lame and get you something from your wish list but it at least guarantees you getting something you want. I also got you a book by one of my favourite (yet totally obscure) authors. I haven't read it yet so let me know if it is any good.
    If it makes it through customs, there should be some sugary snacks to go with this. You may wonder why I sent a can of coke, but, having spent a few days drinking your HFCS cole this year, I thought you might like to know what REAL coke tastes like!
    Hope you have a great holiday and a fantastic 2012!
    Love Rook!

I'll be honest with you: if you did one of those "handwriting-to-font" services, I would be willing to front some of the cost just to get to use this lettering on my computer.
    I agree with you about the cola, but luckily in California it isn't hard to get a handle on Mexican Coke (that also uses real sugar) when the urge arises. But they don't come in souvenir-sized cans! :P

CANDY CANDY CANDY
    CIMG0564.jpg
    The label says "Jelly Beans," though I could have sworn they were "Jellybabies"! Hmm... Some investigation is in order.

CIMG0562.jpg
    Perversely, I sometimes look forward to getting a slight cold just because some flavors of cough drops taste so good. But now I don't have to put up with all the mucus! Thanks!

CIMG0563.jpg
    The aforementioned Coke. I think I was flexing mightily to make my hand look as swole as possible in comparison. ...Never mind.

CIMG0561.jpg
    Perhaps, now that the dollar is falling, Rook is trying to help me by sending some of Glen Beck's favorite element (rampant insanity isn't an element; I've checked).
    Wait, this is chocolate! Haha, it was a clever ruse to get this candy past customs by camouflaging it as precious metal. I'm on to you!

CIMG0560.jpg
    Not one, but two gigantic candy bars.

As if this gift isn't kind enough... It's kinder.
    CIMG0559.jpg

Do you work for FOX?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Whoa, he has a beer kit too.

Are you asking because of the FOX water bottle?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    GiftGet.gif

Finally home, I was excited to find the final part of my gift waiting for me on the porch (thankfully protected from the rain!).

Package (and pet) photos:
    6518268803_e5f2704e54.jpg
    6518273023_dcccb1c035.jpg
    6606913193_9a43868ae4.jpg
    Wow, three Amazon gifts and a parcel from the U.K.!

Amazon gifts first.

Gift 1:
    6606918973_73c3d35c3d.jpg
    6606917355_dc8faec43c.jpg
    Hellboy Seed of Destruction! Very cool, I really enjoyed Watchmen from a couple of SS ago, and I have heard great things about Hellboy. Thanks Santa!

Gift 2:
    6606916033_13b255f489.jpg
    6606915355_0ef3b815bf.jpg
    Lego Harry Potter! This is a perfect way to get my wife to game with me. She loves the HP books and liked the Lego Star Wars game that we borrowed from a friend.

Gift 3:
    6606914663_fc48746f31.jpg
    6606913965_414a867ec8.jpg
    Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. I've never heard of this, but I am always looking for good DS games to play when I am travelling. I'm excited to try it out!

So much great stuff and we're not even close to being finished!

Inside of the parcel is a wrapped gift.
    6606906011_3bab150b85.jpg
    Inside is a box, "Everyone needs a cat hat"
    6606912467_2130dc0bdf.jpg
    Wow, it's stuffed full of stuff!
    6606904887_ebee02059e.jpg
    Right on top is a super cute knit toadstool hat! This will be great for keeping our upcoming baby boy's head warm and stylish.
    6606902257_e4d91ca658.jpg

LEGO!
    6606900925_c08b415004.jpg
    6606899353_4563f24a6d.jpg
    6606892945_108692d748.jpg
    Awesome European candy and snacks. I have a sweet tooth so this is great. Cadbury and Kinder chocolate is really good, and don't worry Santa, I won't eat the toy! I'd never had the Thai Chili Crackers before, but they are really good. Nom nom.
    6606896677_0350c34656.jpg
    6606894897_2b3be0c424.jpg

The whole haul!
    6606891191_db4319845b.jpg

But wait, what's this card? (Nice card btw)
    6606907593_04968b0230.jpg

There was a url on the back which pointed me to this message:
    Dear Santee Pemulis,

Merry Christmas! Hope you enjoy your bundle of stuff. Some brief notes on my choices:

- Lego Harry Potter: You mentioned you enjoyed co-op gaming with your wife and this perfectly crafted game is fully husband/wife co-op tested and approved by myself and Mrs Santa.

- Ghost Trick: You said you had a DS and this game is fantastic. Truly a gem that once I had played I felt the need to press upon everyone I could.

- Hellboy: The first book of my favourite comic series. Hopefully you’ll enjoy Big Red and his world of eldritch horrors as much as I do!

- Lego bits: Because, come on, Lego. Everyone loves Lego! Here’s hoping the random figure is either a Royal Guard or Sherlock Holmes for Britishness, or maybe Lizardman to go with the alien set. I can only apologise if it turns out to be the clown.

- Knitted Toad Hat (not crafted by me but by some nice lady on Etsy): You said you were expecting a little one. Congratulations! From my experience babies tend to wear odd knitted head gear for significant portion of the early months, if only to hide the hideous flaky scalp known as cradle crap cap. With this nicely subtle geeky hat you can know your child is dressed as a resident of the mushroom kingdom whilst innocent passers by can just see a cute spotty hat.

- British Chocolates: Because I’ve eaten American chocolate, and I’m very sorry for you all. Note: Assuming THE MAN doesn’t get to it at customs then this includes a Kinder Egg, hopefully with something to build inside and not a rubbish single piece figure or jigsaw puzzle. Just don’t swallow it whole in an orgy of consumption like your government fears you will and choke on the plastic within!

Much love and hugs and all the best for the future (everything changes now!),
    Your PA Secret Santa.
    6607168419_b6a773967e.jpg

Jam Warrior, is that you? You did an amazing job, thank you! I am very impressed and happy with all of the personalized gifts. I'm blown away by your generosity and general Holiday Spirit!

From me, my wife, and future baby, thanks!

(And of course it was the clown. :P)

Pemulis on
  • Options
    At this point, it might be appropriate to make a "Ghost Trick Get" animation. :D

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Huzzah! It was indeed me. Stupid slow international post was getting me worried for a while there. I got my 1yr old daughter Molly to model the hat before we packed it up seeing as yours is still too busy gestating for photo shoots.

f10002ea.jpg

Glad you enjoyed it all! Happy New Year and best of luck for the future.
    AaronKI wrote:
    At this point, it might be appropriate to make a "Ghost Trick Get" animation. :D

Once experienced, its awesomeness must be shared!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AaronKI wrote:

Once experienced, its awesomeness must be shared!

I got it for non-Secret Santa Christmas and have been itching to pop it in. Need to finish everything else I'm in the middle of first, though.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, it's NYE, no parcel from anywhere for me - must have been naughtier than I thought! Ah, well.
    My USB drum kit from amazon for my friend's little girl still hasn't arrived yet, either although the company I ordered it from say they posted it within the UK on 14th Dec.
    Grrr, and now DELL have delayed my new PC for a week with no explanation. The only Internet access I really have is my phone! Grrr!!!
    I'm in the middle of making a salted caramel and chocolate cake for the do I'm going to tonight, and watching Harry Potter. I have Lego HP on PS3, it's fun!

Happy New Year everyone!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Did you buy the drum kit from a place that wwebsite as on the Internet?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I can't read the card!

And ya, happy new year! Use fireworks responsibly! (man tonight is going to be crazy)

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Secret Santa points of order:

1) Pemulis has thrown the whole system back on its head by gifting me Blood Bowl via Steam. Massive thanks!

2) @shadowane , Having seen you get Fables for your Santee @SkyTurnsRed , I thought it looked exactly like the kind of thing my wife and I would like and was desperately looking for one more present for her at the time. She's yet to read it but I have and I love it and am confident she will too. Thanks for introducing us to a new series! I can see the full collection trickling into our lives via future gift giving occasions.

3) @ArcSyn , Link has joined the collection.

1480f4a5.jpg

(Repainting the delightful orange walls left to us by the previous house owners is high on the New Year's resolution list.)

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @cooljammer00 Yes, from when you were a sperm in your daddy's dangly bits!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    @cooljammer00 Yes, from when you were a sperm in your daddy's dangly bits!

@cooljammer00 - damn son you got told

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    WTF. Who deadbeats ANYONE let alone LewieP's Mummy?

But never fear, there are all kinds of easter bunnies out there, who bring slightly-delayed Christmas cheer.

• Options
    @Imperfect <3<3<3

I'm not worried, I'm sure something is on its way! Happy New Year everyone, I'm off partying now xxx

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Ghost Trick is this year's PS3.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Whoa, he has a beer kit too.

Are you asking because of the FOX water bottle?

Yes.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Imperfect wrote:
    WTF. Who deadbeats ANYONE let alone LewieP's Mummy?

But never fear, there are all kinds of easter bunnies out there, who bring slightly-delayed Christmas cheer.

Sharpen your peppermint sticks and get the tinsel noose, boys. We're gonna have us a holly jolly lynch mob.

Edit: Though I know of at least one person who mailed their package weeks ago and it still hasn't showed up. What the heck, mail? But I don't think it's LPM's... unless her Santa wanted to send her some man candy.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    And then, on that magical New Year's Eve, the term "holly jolly lynch mob" was said, and it was good.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I know who LPM's Santa is and I'm pretty sure they are not going to be a deadbeat.

• Options
    Proxy the ElfProxy the Elf Registered User regular
    And then, on that magical New Year's Eve, the term "holly jolly lynch mob" was said, and it was good.

Proxy will lead the songs!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!
    Spreading Christmas cheer across the forums since 2009!
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I know who LPM's Santa is and I'm pretty sure they are not going to be a deadbeat.

But... But... Lynchings! Mobs!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    I still haven't received or heard anything.

• Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    I got a proxy notice a week or two back, I'm willing to give it a bit more time, soooo... don't go banning just yet :D

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, I'm laughing so much now! Back from the party and it's off to be for me now, it's been 2012 for an hour and a half now, have fun if you're going to a party!