As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo III] Officially coming in early 2012. Beta now live.

1939495969799»

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Anyone who plays Hardcore likes wasting their own time, and this has been true for every roguelike with the option ever.

That's all it is; time investment upon death. Nothing more interesting than that.

All you're saying by playing HC is "if I die, I want to have to spend (however many hours I spent on this character) getting back to this point instead of the time it takes me to waypoint back and recover my stuff".

A "Deaths" stat, and a set of character-specific achievements that only tick if you have 0 deaths (and no items traded to you, if you want to be really hardcore about it) at a given point is a far better implementation in every way than "lose your character on death." It provides all the sense of achievement you get from 'completing' the game without dying, without the ridiculous fear/grief/angst issue when death finally arrives.

This would allow people to trade away all their shit from 'HC' characters on the RMAH, since HC is no longer a mode, and is simply "don't die, don't trade". It also means that if you do die and you're only interested in the HC achievements, your character doesn't go from being worth x dollars to being worth 0.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I agree with Beth except that I think in relatively short games (like 1 hour or less) permadeath isn't a bad thing, really. BoI has achievements for taking no hits on the various floors which is a way of showing that yes, you can do it, but you don't need to.

Also I haven't kept up with the whole AH thing at all for Diablo 3.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Man what?

Hardcore is fun because it's hardcore. I don't know what you're talking about with this wasting time nonsense. Are we quantifying fun again?

I am utterly nonplussed right now.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Magus` wrote:
    Yeah, I agree with Beth except that I think in relatively short games (like 1 hour or less) permadeath isn't a bad thing
    Oh yeah, I'm not talking about the ones like Dungeons of Dredmor or Binding of Isaac or Desktop Dungeons etc., where the point is to do 'one run' and beat it, then restart. Permadeath is part of those games, it's accepted that it's arcade-style "1 life" mode. I mean all the games with characters that persist across runs, where the loot haul is often more interesting than beating the game.
    Page- wrote:
    Hardcore is fun because it's hardcore. I don't know what you're talking about with this wasting time nonsense. Are we quantifying fun again?

Hardcore is fun because of the sense of achievement you get from getting as far as possible without dying... which is something you can do on Softcore!

I don't see why I should be any less proud of my old 97 Sorc who never died because I played her on normal (and on my own PC and not battle.net) rather than on Hardcore, or why I would be any more proud of her doing it again on Hardcore.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Yeah fart you buddy(bethryn), I ain't saying hardcore isn't fun. Hardcore > Softcore.

But Softcore with RMAH >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hardcore without > Softcore without.

You a coward if you're not playing hardcore.

But being a coward PAYS, so fuck hardcore.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Bethryn wrote:
    Page- wrote:

Hardcore is fun because of the sense of achievement you get from getting as far as possible without dying... which is something you can do on Softcore!

I don't see why I should be any less proud of my old 97 Sorc who never died because I played her on normal (and on my own PC and not battle.net) rather than on Hardcore, or why I would be any more proud of her doing it again on Hardcore.
    Because you're level 97 SC sorceress was never in danger of dying, since she wasn't in fact capable of doing such.

Listen bro, you a coward. It's ok, you can admit it.

also how do you get to level 97 without 8 player games? Haha, and you talk about hardcore players wasting their time GOD DAMN

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    orionminusorionminus Registered User regular
    The things we own end up owning us.

LOL FIGHTCLUB QUOTE IN RELATION TO DIABLO 3 CHARACTERS

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Because you're level 97 SC sorceress was never in danger of dying, since she wasn't in fact capable of doing such.
    So what you're saying is that you're not capable of the restraint necessary to stop playing a character and delete them if they die in softcore, eh?
    also how do you get to level 97 without 8 player games? Haha, and you talk about hardcore players wasting their time GOD DAMN
    Hey baddie, ever heard of /players 8?

No, you haven't, because you're a baddie!

Also, no battle.net doesn't equal no multiplayer. D2 had LAN, if you don't remember!

The difference is now that if my character dies, they'll die on softcore and I can make some money off their death with RMAH before I abandon them and restart.

So I'm still winning!

Bethryn on
  • Options
    Well yes you're winning if you're playing d3 softcore.

But going back to your d2 hardcore. Your accomplishment is even less due to the fact that when playing real hardcore(actually hardcore, online, with 7 other humans) there's another layer of danger. I don't see how you can legitimately try to claim equal props for a less(actually not at all) dangerous environment.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Well yes you're winning if you're playing d3 softcore.

But going back to your d2 hardcore. Your accomplishment is even less due to the fact that when playing real hardcore(actually hardcore, online, with 7 other humans) there's another layer of danger. I don't see how you can legitimately try to claim equal props for a less(actually not at all) dangerous environment.
    Yes, having Town Portal bound and ready was a real enhancement to the danger of playing when you were worried about griefing.

Hardcore has never been anything other than softcore with an enforced ruleset for players with no self-restraint.

It's no different than Ironman, Flaming Naked or Pat/Mat p8 solo runs, or any other set of rules that require the player to self-enforce, except that it's enforced for the player.

There is no aspect of HC that cannot be simulated on softcore by a player with the intention of doing so.

• Options
    Heh

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Whose talking about pride? I never said anything about pride, or courage.

I don't know where you guys are getting this stuff.

Hardcore is fun. I want to play it with my friends so we can make bets about who dies first and then laugh about it afterwards. Getting killed by a falling rock in hardcore will be better times than getting killed by a falling rock in hardcore.

It has nothing to do with manliness. We're not drinking straight whisky through straws made of home-made beef jerky, sitting on chairs we built ourselves from trees we cut down with our bare hands, and pausing between each act to shave our chests because the testosterone is exploding through our manly, hardcore-playing bodies.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    For the record, I'm drinking whisky right now.

I'm confused why bets about who dies first are any different in hardcore than in softcore! 8D

• Options
    Because then it's funnier. Their character will always be there, so we can always laugh at them.

stream
  • Options
    orionminusorionminus Registered User regular
    I always roll hardcore. I like the rush of knowing I could die for real, real.

Not for play, play.

• Options
    Page- wrote:
    Their character will always be there, so we can always laugh at them.
    Is this some new D3 thing? 'cos most dudes delete their ghosts since they took up realm slots.

• Options
    They stay in their banner or something. There's like a hardcore hall of shame.

stream
  • Options
    Oh, you mean the Halls of the Dead, right.

I was thinking maybe they'd added something where a character's ghost would remain permanently on the non-random dungeon levels, which would be kinda funky.

• Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Anyone know if/when the beta will be open?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Anyone know if/when the beta will be open?

No open beta.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote:
    Oh, you mean the Halls of the Dead, right.

I was thinking maybe they'd added something where a character's ghost would remain permanently on the non-random dungeon levels, which would be kinda funky.

That would be the best feature ever.

I would pay for that dlc.

Every time we play I get to see their corpses littering the ground.

Oh god. I want it so!

stream
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Is someone seriously calling other people cowards in this thread for not playing a game mode they don't like?

What?

Drive on the left side of the road, bitch! It's the man's way!

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    New threads up, please move discussions over there.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/153710/diablo-iii-looking-for-baal

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.