As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Pre PAX East 2012 Dinner - ORDERS IN!

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    What exactly is this Barcrawl?

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    I havent been to the PAX east barcrawl, but in general, a bar crawl is when you spend some time at various bars along some route. It can lead to memebers of said event crawling back home :D To bad there is no way I will be making that event :(((

• Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    Lokiale wrote:
    Creamsteak wrote:
    MelesMeles wrote:
    You have my axe.

And my dagger.

And my mouth. Om nom nom.

Actually, I kinda need my axe back. I still want to go though, can I trade it for a small parrot?

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Exodus1 wrote:
    Susan69 wrote:
    Where does the bar crawl start?

Well last year we ate at Dick's and that was at Faneuil Hall, and the bar crawl started very nearby, a couple blocks if that.

does the crawl do the same route every year, or is there a chance of it getting changed up at all?

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    Exodus1 wrote:
    Susan69 wrote:

Well last year we ate at Dick's and that was at Faneuil Hall, and the bar crawl started very nearby, a couple blocks if that.

Am I missing a separate thread for the crawl? Or has it yet to be created?

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • Options
    LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    MASeffect wrote:
    Exodus1 wrote:
    Susan69 wrote:

Am I missing a separate thread for the crawl? Or has it yet to be created?

It hasn't been created yet, should be started up within the next month or so. :)

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Options
    what about durgin park? very old boston, which is nice for those who are visiting the city for the first time, and it's in the faneuil hall area.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Exodus1 wrote:
    Susan69 wrote:

does the crawl do the same route every year, or is there a chance of it getting changed up at all?
    My best guess is it'll probably be in the same area of bars, but wont know for sure till the thread is made. Durgin Park looks really cool, very Boston feel.

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Glad to see all the enthusiasm behind the PPD! Just to reiterate, the reason why I included the first two choices was that they were the previous places we went to for 2010 and 2011, so I know that they abide by the requirements for this to go down. Also, if someone can point me in the direction of who is running the Pokecrawl so I can better plan this out, that would be awesome.

Also, if any of the moderators are reading this, please make this a sticky so that it doesn't get lost amongst all the other posts? Thanks!

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2012
    acumen101 wrote:
    Glad to see all the enthusiasm behind the PPD! Just to reiterate, the reason why I included the first two choices was that they were the previous places we went to for 2010 and 2011, so I know that they abide by the requirements for this to go down. Also, if someone can point me in the direction of who is running the Pokecrawl so I can better plan this out, that would be awesome.

Also, if any of the moderators are reading this, please make this a sticky so that it doesn't get lost amongst all the other posts? Thanks!

@Atlus Parker and @ArsonIsFun run the Pokecrawl in Boston.

Typically the Pre-Pax event threads do not get stickied.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    For those who have been asking, the barcrawl thread is not up yet, though last year's thread is here if you want to see what that's all about.

It is *extremely* likely that most of the same bars will be used (maybe a few differences).

• Options
    MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    Is the theme always Pokecrawl, or will it have potential to be another theme this year? Should i get started on a costume!?

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • Options
    MASeffect wrote:
    Is the theme always Pokecrawl, or will it have potential to be another theme this year? Should i get started on a costume!?

It is extremely likely that the crawl run by Atlus and Arson will be a Pokecrawl.

• Options
    and now we need to get back on topic.

@acumen101 do you know why exactly the PPD wasn't at Fire and Ice in 2011? I think continuity is a good thing, although new things are good too.

It's obvious that people have various suggestions, but I think if you're familiar with the area you might want to just contact the places you have in mind and start figuring out what sort of packages they can offer for food options, price, all ages or no, etc. Otherwise you'll just continue to get a stream of suggestions without much progress.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    acumen101 wrote:

This!

The Pre-Pax Dinner and Bar Crawl organizers need to be in leagues with each other, which is why the choices are somewhat limited. These are the two most popular events of Thursday evening and it would be sad to have people choose only one event to attend because they overlap each other.

Honestly speaking, I would love to check out different places every year because I don't get to visit Boston that much during the convention, but we would have to make sure all the pieces fit together.

Though I did get a feeling of being in Boston when I walked into Dick's last Resort and saw that one of the waiters had a Chara jersey. I'm from Montreal and that was soon after the infamous dirty hit. We knew our places and kept our mouths shut tight.

EDIT: For once I had something to say before Zerzhul did. I will forever be his hypeman it seems.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote:

@acumen101 do you know why exactly the PPD wasn't at Fire and Ice in 2011? I think continuity is a good thing, although new things are good too.

Agreed. I wasn't going to keep the suggestion poll going for too long, but next week was going to be my deadline. I am going to contact the GBCVB and see what they have to say, but I plan on having the link for ticket purchasing up by early February AT THE LATEST.

• Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Exodus1 wrote:
    Susan69 wrote:

There will be alterations to the pokecrawl's route, but it doesn't make much sense to change the area. The gov't center area provides us with a high density of bars relatively close to the convention center and solid transportation options.

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    i've got to confess my selfishness--i'm really throwing out suggestions because i'm personally not a fan of fire & ice or dick's last resort (not for ppd specifically, just in general). it would make me happy for the dinner to happen somewhere else, but i'll keep quiet if everyone else is happy with past experiences at those places. i realize it would definitely be easier on the planning end to go with a place that's been worked with before.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    I have no horse in the race for choices. I just want things to be easy on @acumen101 and for signups to go up sooner rather than later ;)

• Options
    SausageSausage FLRegistered User regular
    I went to the PPD last year, it was ok, but I know a lot of people who didn't go because they found that environment undesirable. I didn't go to Fire and Ice, but I remember reading how a lot of people were happy it wasn't at that particular venue for whatever reasons (crowded?). I think looking into a new venue if possible would be preferable to me, I think Durgin Park looks lovely and being in the Faneuil Hall area makes it a definite plus, but I know some people are on a budget, looking for the under 21 options, etc. so not everyone will be happy with the outcome unfortunately. Twas a brave task taking on the PPD and trying to please the people so kudos to acumen101. Regardless of the venue, my husband and I will most likely attend and honestly, I think we paid around $24 last year per person with fees and it was still by far one of the cheapest meals I had in Boston so a higher price point would not deter me.

The mead hall with shields is a nice thought, but only if it can have floating candles and the ceiling can be bewitched to resemble the night sky.

3DS: 2964-9827-0033
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    I know this is probably a really dumb newb question but I keep seeing mentions of registration for PPD. When does the registration usally take place and how quickly does it fill? This is our first time to PAX and I defiantly don't want to miss this!

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    I know this is probably a really dumb newb question but I keep seeing mentions of registration for PPD. When does the registration usally take place and how quickly does it fill? This is our first time to PAX and I defiantly don't want to miss this!

Registration will take place after a venue is decided upon and @acumen101 gets the menu/prices set up with the venue. He is targeting early February. This can fill up quickly as space is limited. Keep an eye out on this thread and the forums (and maybe twitter) for when reg goes live for the PPD.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    How late have these dinners been held in the past? I'd love to come & meet you all this year, but we tend to roll into town around dinnertime Thursday - I wouldn't want to register and then miss it.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    How late have these dinners been held in the past? I'd love to come & meet you all this year, but we tend to roll into town around dinnertime Thursday - I wouldn't want to register and then miss it.

Last year was 5:30-7:30. Prime was 6-8. It will be in that general vicinity for time as the intention is for it to be the two hours preceding the barcrawl start time.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    zerzhul wrote:
    Last year was 5:30-7:30. Prime was 6-8. It will be in that general vicinity for time as the intention is for it to be the two hours preceding the barcrawl start time.

Hm, that's cutting it pretty close. I'll have to verify time of departure and all that stuff.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    When does the registration usally take place and how quickly does it fill? This is our first time to PAX and I defiantly don't want to miss this!

I will first post on Twitter when I have things close enough to completion, so that everyone will be ready before I post on the forums.

• Options
    Susan69Susan69 Registered User regular
    Wow, Durgin Park looks like a great venue for this!!! Very Boston-y!

• Options
    septagonseptagon Registered User regular
    Every time I've been to Fire and Ice it came off to me as having a very douchy vibe. I can't really prove it's this way all the time but it's something I definitely noticed.

Also, it's a great deal farther away from the pub crawl area than Dicks was last year. Far away enough so that I can definitely see a non local choosing to take the subway back tward government center over walking. Not that the subway is a bad thing but being late for the start of the pub crawl would indeed be a bad thing!

The food there is truly awesome though. So, if they offer a reasonable group rate over closer places it may just work out to be the best option.

• Options
    gihzmogihzmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    This is the first time I will be attending a PAX. My girlfriend, who is coming as well, has been to PAX east before. We are both really looking forward to coming to the dinner and meeting some of the great people attending. The community surrounding this event is pretty awesome.

I haven't a clue about location, they both sound good, and we are planning to join the crawl after dinner.

gihzmo on
  • Options
    ButterySaltButterySalt Registered User regular
    I recommend/suggest the Border Cafe in Cambridge. Understanding that it isn't next to the convention center, it is on the Red Line (which has a stop at South Station close to the BCEC). It is relatively inexpensive (their normal dinner menu ranges from $8-14), has very good drinks (for those of age), and has a basement that could potentially be rented out for the event (I've been to receptions/dinners there before).

• Options
    I recommend/suggest the Border Cafe in Cambridge. Understanding that it isn't next to the convention center, it is on the Red Line (which has a stop at South Station close to the BCEC). It is relatively inexpensive (their normal dinner menu ranges from $8-14), has very good drinks (for those of age), and has a basement that could potentially be rented out for the event (I've been to receptions/dinners there before).

It sounds good but unfortunately doesn't meet either the requirement of being relatively close to the BCEC or relatively close to the bar crawl (gov't center & Faneuil Hall) nor is it in between them. Really, neither is Fire and Ice (it was between the Hynes and the barcrawl area though ;) ) but I think we're looking for something that's at least downtown and will be near the majority of hotels and other activities if possible.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I put Border in the same category as Fire & Ice as far as convenience, but I certainly understand the concern about getting to the bar crawl. (I'd recommend it for anyone who wants to get away from the convention for a bit with friends or people you meet -- the Conmemorativo margarita is special)

That said, how about:
    Joe’s American Bar and Grill
    100 Atlantic Avenue
    Commercial Wharf
    617-367-8700
    www.joesamerican.com
    Serves: American food, burgers

It's a regional (I think) chain, but it looks reasonable, is close to the right location (just on the other side of Quincy Market), and because it's on the waterfront, it feels very Boston. I haven't been to this location, but I've had their food a couple of times and it was decent.

Not trying to be pushy, but trying to help get a few more options out there.

Edit: Tried to post their private dining contact - but resulted in a broken link. Looks like they can do 35-80. I haven't reached out to them as of yet.

ButterySalt on
  • Options
    MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    Looks like Acumen has his work cut out for him...I don't envy that position, but I am excited for PAX East and all the related community events!

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    @ButterySalt I appreciate the effort, but I've been to Joe's before and it's kinda pricey. It's looking like Dick's Last Resort will be the venue; not just because of it's location, but also because of value. I haven't heard from the GBCVB and trying to get in touch with them has been like pulling teeth.

acumen101 on

• Options
    cadmiacadmia Registered User regular
    I attended last year at Dick's and I wasn't impressed. I'm a vegetarian and I know that makes me a pain in the ass, but I was made to feel like I would have some options, but really, it was pretty meh. My carnivorous companions weren't thrilled either. Not trying to be a downer, but I would really love to see another option win out. I was hoping for Border Cafe personally.

• Options
    nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    I attended last year at Dick's Last Resort and I wasn't too impressed either. I only got to talk to a handful of people because of the seating arrangements. I would definitely vote for Border Cafe - I haven't been there personally, but their food looks yummy.

PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
  • Options
    I understand your disappointment, and believe me, I've been trying to find something more optimal. I haven't firmly set the place in stone, so if anyone has something in mind that's VERY close to the Government Center/Faneuil Hall that won't break our collective bank, I'll be more than glad to check it out. I will look into the suggestion from @tvethiopia and see if they can hold up with the requirements.

• Options
    Good news everyone!

I got in touch with Durgin Park and will check it out tomorrow. It's looking like the ticket price will be $25 per, but it's not final yet. Also, they said that they have a private room we can use. This should help us with the socialization issue we had last year at Dick's Last Resort. Once I check it out and get their menu plan, I'll post it.

• Options
    Durgin Park looks great -- thanks for the effort!

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    I love Fire and Ice with all my soul!

I also love volunteering at PAX Dinners with all my soul!
    I specialize in checking in people as they arrive for the dinner.

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum