As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX EAST 2012 FAQ AND INFORMATION THREAD. (PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    solarnoise wrote:
    Hi SmallLady

I'm paying for registration for me and my girlfriend for PAX East (it's my Christmas present to her, she's excited) but I'm also a local Boston developer and *may* be getting a developer pass...

Is it at all possible that I'll be able to get reimbursed for my pre-registration if I end up getting a dev pass? Thanks!

Worst comes to worst, sell them here on the forum when you get them in the mail, worst comes to worst you break even.

iirc you can't get a refund though once you register.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    solarnoise wrote:
    Hi SmallLady

I'm paying for registration for me and my girlfriend for PAX East (it's my Christmas present to her, she's excited) but I'm also a local Boston developer and *may* be getting a developer pass...

Is it at all possible that I'll be able to get reimbursed for my pre-registration if I end up getting a dev pass? Thanks!

Worst comes to worst, sell them here on the forum when you get them in the mail, worst comes to worst you break even.

iirc you can't get a refund though once you register.

There will no longer be an opportunity to sell passes on the forums. Due to the massive counterfeiting at Prime, there is no sanctioned method to resell passes.

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:

Please note, that most of the information contained in this FAQ also lives on our Wiki

We haz a wiki!!!

Don't worry, the forum FAQ isn't going to go away, as it's still a resource and it's a good place for questions to be answered, but our wiki will make a fantastic historical document and resource for information.

:)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    AgememnonQuinnAgememnonQuinn Registered User new member
    Hello,
    To what degree can we expect a Dungeon and Dragons presence this year? I know that Wizards is going to have *some* presence for MTG, but I haven't been able to find any info about D&D. Can we expect more information to come soon, or should I start a forum post looking for a DM?

Peace and Love,
  • Options
    Hello,
    To what degree can we expect a Dungeon and Dragons presence this year? I know that Wizards is going to have *some* presence for MTG, but I haven't been able to find any info about D&D. Can we expect more information to come soon, or should I start a forum post looking for a DM?

Peace and Love,
    In past years there has been Lots of D&D in the table top area and I would expect the same for this year. In Tabletop they have a pretty good LFG system if you want to run your own game, or if you prefer, Wizards will likely be running their own.

As for Wizards official schedule, I'd look for that much much closer to the actual show when they have that nailed down. :)

• Options
    justbored215justbored215 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I bought tickets to PAX east about a month ago, but now am unable to go as my brother's wedding conflicts with the schedule. Is it possible to get my tickets refunded? If so how would I go about doing it. I tried to email pax_questions but never got a reply.

justbored215 on
  • Options
    pax_questions@paxsite.com gets a lot of volume. I'd give till monday or tuesday for them to reply. :)

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    [redacted]

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    VicRomano20VicRomano20 Registered User new member
    Hello everybody,

Is there any sort of estimate as of yet on when 3-Day Passes may be sold out? I know I'll be able to procure the dough sure enough in about a week, so I'm just making sure I'm not cutting it too close. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!

• Options
    Hello everybody,

Is there any sort of estimate as of yet on when 3-Day Passes may be sold out? I know I'll be able to procure the dough sure enough in about a week, so I'm just making sure I'm not cutting it too close. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!

Typically there's an official announcement when there's less than a week or so worth of passes left. No news means it's not *too* close yet. Keep an eye on http://twitter.com/official_pax

• Options
    VicRomano20VicRomano20 Registered User new member
    Hey, thanks for the quick repsonse. That makes me feel a lot less anxious.

Will do on the Twitter checking. Thanks once again.

• Options
    TemperedDevilTemperedDevil Registered User new member
    edited December 2011
    Any suggestions on good bars in the area?

TemperedDevil on
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Any suggestions on good bars in the area?

I'm partial to Drink (if you can get in there - it'll be packed, most likely), Lucky's, Whiskey Priest . . . depends on what kind of bar you're looking for.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    BumblebeeRecycledBumblebeeRecycled Registered User new member
    Hi, I have been to a number of conventions in the past, but never a PAX. I go in BIG costumes, who should I talk to to make sure there are no problems ? I'm a very skilled stilt walker, and my costumes are light and durable, It is just my first time at a PAX. Do not want to get there and find some security guy going...Oh My GOD !!! I have been to events with as mych as 55,000 peope on the floor at one time and never had a problem. But I do not want to invest in tickets, get my friends to dress up, ect...then have a poblem at the front door....So who do I contact ?

• Options
    Hi, I have been to a number of conventions in the past, but never a PAX. I go in BIG costumes, who should I talk to to make sure there are no problems ? I'm a very skilled stilt walker, and my costumes are light and durable, It is just my first time at a PAX. Do not want to get there and find some security guy going...Oh My GOD !!! I have been to events with as mych as 55,000 peope on the floor at one time and never had a problem. But I do not want to invest in tickets, get my friends to dress up, ect...then have a poblem at the front door....So who do I contact ?

I"m going to contact Tango to get him to come and reply to your question. :)

• Options
    mhawk066mhawk066 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    hola folks, i have been wondering about a few things and i want to just put them up on here to let all my friendly neighborhood pax vets help me. I will be flying out to Seattle from Maryland this summer for my 16th birthday, and the main thing i really wanted to know is whether age will be an issue anytime at pax ? i mean ive read the comic alot so i know that some things about it can be a bit vulgar, so i just wanted to know if me being 16 will afect anything or not. also I want to know how much money would be a good amount to bring for pax, and what kinds of other stuff do they have to do while im not drooling over the newest games, thank you for the help.

mhawk066 on
  • Options
    mhawk066 wrote:
    hola folks, i have been wondering about a few things and i want to just put them up on here to let all my friendly neighborhood pax vets help me. I will be flying out to Seattle from Maryland this summer for my 16th birthday, and the main thing i really wanted to know is whether age will be an issue anytime at pax ? i mean ive read the comic alot so i know that some things about it can be a bit vulgar, so i just wanted to know if me being 16 will afect anything or not. also I want to know how much money would be a good amount to bring for pax, and what kinds of other stuff do they have to do while im not drooling over the newest games, thank you for the help.

Well, I can see that your questions are pretty general PAX, even though they are PAX Prime related. All our current threads are about PAX East, but you can probably get a lot of good info in the first timer thread anyhow. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149061/east-first-time-to-pax-east-stuff-you-may-want-to-know-lies-within/p1

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    mhawk066 wrote:

Age will only be an issue with getting into certain expo hall booths, as some M-rated games will check ID. As for money, I usually try to bring about $200 in cash to a convention as this covers most incidental cases where plastic is either impossible or hugely inconvenient (or just more costly, some convention vendors charge extra fees for plastic use). That's not required mind you, just a good guideline if you expect to buy anything there. As for stuff to do, just look around here; there's tons of stuff to do organized by the community, on top of all the awesome stuff that ends up in the official schedule book. And if you're really, truly lost, we have entire rooms filled with game libraries that you can check out and sit down to play for a while. Everything from Atari 2600 up to PS Move/Kinect, as well as the most super-awesome-way-better-than-all-the-other-areas* tabletop game library.

'bored' does not exist in the PAX vocabulary. :D

*not at all a biased opinion. Honest.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    goodtimeshaxorgoodtimeshaxor Registered User regular
    I'm an indie developer working on a small iOS project and will be attending PAX 2012. I saw on the website that the Boston Indie Showcase is now open to a larger demographic. Since I am low on funding, I wanted to make sure I had some shred of chance to be picked before submitting.

Can you share any information/statistics regarding the Boston Indie Showcases of previous years? Perhaps information such as number of submissions in previous years, estimated submissions this year, number of submissions that will be selected this year, etc. Thank you in advance for your response.

Indie dev of Lawnmower Challenge | Android Free | iOS | Amazon
    @LunarPeter
  • Options
    I'm an indie developer working on a small iOS project and will be attending PAX 2012. I saw on the website that the Boston Indie Showcase is now open to a larger demographic. Since I am low on funding, I wanted to make sure I had some shred of chance to be picked before submitting.

Can you share any information/statistics regarding the Boston Indie Showcases of previous years? Perhaps information such as number of submissions in previous years, estimated submissions this year, number of submissions that will be selected this year, etc. Thank you in advance for your response.

I don't know if they can answer the questions you're asking but your best bet is to email bis@paxsite.com

I can only imagine though that the competition is fierce.

Good Luck!

• Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm back from my post-Prime pre-East forum hiatus, and ready to get to answerin' ...
    SmallLady wrote:

I"m going to contact Tango to get him to come and reply to your question. :)

First off, make sure the costume contains no contraband costume weapons. There's a part of the FAQ on the first page that represents the official PAX weapons policy. And after that - use your common sense. Is your costume likely to disrupt or disturb other attendees? It doesn't sound like it (and stilt walkers are pretty cool!) but just have a think about that anyway. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me, or ask them on the Costumes thread.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Who's in charge of the classics console room? Last year there was no Neo Geo, and that made me very sad. I want one this year, so lets' make it happen! I'd be willing to lend mine.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    ShervynShervyn Registered User regular
    darren66 wrote:
    Who's in charge of the classics console room? Last year there was no Neo Geo, and that made me very sad. I want one this year, so lets' make it happen! I'd be willing to lend mine.

That would be me and if you are willing to lend us one I would be more than happy to borrow it. drop me line at Shervyn at gmail dot com and we can work out the details.

Thanks

A man who could afford $50 had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in 10 yrs' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a $100 on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. -Vimes
  • Options
    hamadrianohamadriano Registered User regular
    just was wondering when passes for international customers with the fedex shipping will be shipped ? thanks

ISksJel.png
  • Options
    hamadriano wrote:
    just was wondering when passes for international customers with the fedex shipping will be shipped ? thanks

Passes go out a few weeks before pax. Likely a month for intl.

• Options
    hamadrianohamadriano Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    hamadriano wrote:

Passes go out a few weeks before pax. Likely a month for intl.

ISksJel.png
  • Options
    jar37jar37 Registered User regular
    MY wife and I are coming up from PA for PAX East 2012. We both attended 2010 and drove up while last year I attended alone and flew. Right now we're planning on driving again but I'm curous about what other options there are coming from the Eastern PA region. I don't mind driving but it chews up a good portion of the first and last days of our trip in travel plus costs in gas and parking.

• Options
    mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    I also live in PA. Last year me and friends arrived via megabus and it ended up being only about $15 round trip but it also depends on when you book. We plan on trying to use megabus again this year or some other bus service. The bus trip was great though it was a nice little 6 hour bus ride. They have free wifi on the bus to so you can browse the window during the trip.

• Options
    I Einnob II Einnob I Registered User regular
    I have a quick question about taxi cabs. What are the rates typically in Boston? websites with info? My hotel is 2 miles away from the Convention Center and at least for the first day not willing to take on the hassle of parking.

• Options
    mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    My hotel was also about 2 miles away from the convention last year. We relied on taxis to get us to the convention and back. It was about $10 one way plus tip (if you want to tip). I was with 2 friends so splitting the cost 3 ways it wasn't to bad but if its just you it might get pretty costly.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    I Einnob I wrote:
    I have a quick question about taxi cabs. What are the rates typically in Boston? websites with info? My hotel is 2 miles away from the Convention Center and at least for the first day not willing to take on the hassle of parking.

where is your hotel exactly? there's likely a cheaper public transportation option nearby.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    OddSakeOddSake Registered User new member
    PAX East 2012 will be my very first PAX, or convention of any kind. We're booked at the Hyatt Regency, was wondering what the shuttle service is like? Also are there some spots you just want to avoid if you are in costume (at the convention)? It's going to be a full body costume, but shouldn't be any wider than I am (which hopefully will be less by the time the convention comes around LOL).

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide! Way excited.

• Options
    OddSake wrote:
    PAX East 2012 will be my very first PAX, or convention of any kind. We're booked at the Hyatt Regency, was wondering what the shuttle service is like? Also are there some spots you just want to avoid if you are in costume (at the convention)? It's going to be a full body costume, but shouldn't be any wider than I am (which hopefully will be less by the time the convention comes around LOL).

The shuttles run every so often (someone said in this thread somewhere I think) and from what I heard if you are willing to go via their schedule, it's quite good.

Just try to not block walking areas when getting your photo taken in costume (people will ask). Be mindful of the space you're using and listen to Enforcers that might ask you to move slightly if you're blocking something.

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    OddSake wrote:

The Expo Hall tends to get crowded, hence the 'no strollers' rules. If you're not oversized, though, you should be fine. We get a lot of people fully decked out in costumes that don't have problems, including Gears of War cosplayers, people with moderate sized wings on, etc.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    I Einnob II Einnob I Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    I Einnob I wrote:

where is your hotel exactly? there's likely a cheaper public transportation option nearby.

its the hyatt harborside. sorry for not checking back earlier. I did find a site with a taxi calculator. Came back to be about $15 which is not too bad considering I have three other people traveling with me.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    I Einnob I wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:
    I Einnob I wrote:

its the hyatt harborside. sorry for not checking back earlier. I did find a site with a taxi calculator. Came back to be about $15 which is not too bad considering I have three other people traveling with me.

hm, that's an odd spot, being just on the other side of the water. a cab might be the easiest way to go after all. if you really wanted to save cash, you could take a free hotel shuttle to the airport and catch the silver line from there. or if the weather's nice you could take a water taxi for fun, but it would cost more because you buy individual tickets and can't split fares.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    I check the wiki but didn't see any general information on the Magical Mystery Tour. Is it a walking tour of Boston? Also what day/time does it usually take place?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    I check the wiki but didn't see any general information on the Magical Mystery Tour. Is it a walking tour of Boston? Also what day/time does it usually take place?

That's essentially what it is. There's no info on the wiki yet because the organizer hasn't put together the basic info for this year. Based on last year, it will likely be on the Wednesday and Thursday before PAX for a good chunk of the day (9-5ish?). People are free to join and leave the tour as they see fit so you don't have to get nailed down to a specific time.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote:
    That's essentially what it is. There's no info on the wiki yet because the organizer hasn't put together the basic info for this year. Based on last year, it will likely be on the Wednesday and Thursday before PAX for a good chunk of the day (9-5ish?). People are free to join and leave the tour as they see fit so you don't have to get nailed down to a specific time.

Thanks! I will keep my eyes open for more info.

• Options
    I do have one more question. We booked at the Park Plaza hotel but it is a bit of a ways away from the convention center and the only direct access is over a turnpike(?). What is the best way to get around?