As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell my wife I said, "[chat]."

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    i have to go to the bank and pharmacy today

sooooo fucking cold

wind chill in the single digits!?

/me flips table

yesterday was -20C and -30C with the wind chill

today it's -15Cish and -20Cish with the wind

yeah apparently the wind chill here is about -15c today :<

suck it up princess! i walked around the wind-tunnel of my downtown city in -30C without a scarf, because i forgot it.

nah -15 is pretty cold, no lie.

also daxon i have been thinking about moving but it is a large logistical challenge

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    bowen wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    So if I vetoed it, then introduced and passed a law that gave military members a pay raise, I'd be kosher for reelection eh?

You could go on to pass a bill that gave all servicepeeps a ten pound gold brick and they'd still hang you on vetoing troop pay.

Well unlawful detainment isn't exactly troop pay anyways.

The thing is, you can't line item veto the unlawful detention bit. You have to veto troop pay as well.

Deebaser on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Sweater is fun but i really don't see myself subscribing to it for years and years and years or even year singular

If its not F2P in 12 months I will be shocked

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    stop exploding, you cowards

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I use GIMP myself. It's free, but good.

GIMP works in the absence of other, much better tools.

I mean, its not bad by any stretch, but I always feel like I am working AGAINST the GIMP interface as opposed to making content.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote:
    MS Paint people are weird. Use layers with transparency and then flatten them! You are using Paint.net, you are no longer in the image editor dark ages!
    I am weird, I'll be the first to admit.

But, honestly?
    <select area>, <ctrl+shift+v, <F4>, <not even sure>, <move selected area to proper location>, <ctrl+m>

This to you is easier or more correct than
    <select area>, <menu: make transparent>, <move selected area to proper location>

?

You are not understanding. Layers have pixels that are fully transparent and others that are opaque. You make your pattern initially on a transparent layer, duplicate it 4+ times, positions the duplicates, merge them, repeat until it's big enough for you.

Or you can make your pattern on a transparent (non-background) layer and when you copy/paste, it'll not include any background anyway because there is nothing there to include but blank pixels.

You are trying to find a feature that no longer makes sense in the editor you are using.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    ahahahahahaha with wind chill here it's not too cold.

It's like 4C without and actually with wind chill it doesn't even feel like it goes below 0C

So I am excellently located. Once I get to London it'll be EVEN WARMER :D

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote:

I mean, its not bad by any stretch, but I always feel like I am working AGAINST the GIMP interface as opposed to making content.

Are there better tools for free?

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    stop exploding, you cowards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq3IEY8-2Jk

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

sooooo fucking cold

/me flips table

yeah apparently the wind chill here is about -15c today :<

suck it up princess! i walked around the wind-tunnel of my downtown city in -30C without a scarf, because i forgot it.

nah -15 is pretty cold, no lie.

also daxon i have been thinking about moving but it is a large logistical challenge

yeah well

until you deal with southern israeli summers

you can suck mah dick

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    i don't often agree with bowen, but the government being able to detain people indefinitely without cause seems to me like something that should be provoking riots in the streets

seems like it should have been provoking them for years, in fact

In a sense of the word, the government has always been able to detain someone indefinitely without cause.

The government has soldiers and prisons and tanks and guns and jets and bombs and hopefully a small squad of highly trained cyborg ninjas for real emergencies.

I think what's more relevant is what the government can get away with. There's a correlation between the two, and we shouldn't celebrate bad laws, but the relevant data point is what the government actually does.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    I think my big design challenges this year are going to be making a half decent website for a project I am involved with and doing a couple of nice-looking infographics for my thesis.

This will stretch all my abilities in design (of which there are not many).

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    So if I vetoed it, then introduced and passed a law that gave military members a pay raise, I'd be kosher for reelection eh?

You could go on to pass a bill that gave all servicepeeps a ten pound gold brick and they'd still hang you on vetoing troop pay.

The thing is, you can't line item veto the unlawful detention bit. You have to veto troop pay as well.

I thought you could, actually?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I find the whole "games backlog" concept to be genuinely frightening

like, people talking about how they really have to sit down and work on getting through the enormous pile of entertainment that they're behind on, talking about how they managed to beat two games this week like it's some sort of satisfying achievement, in the same tone that one might use to discuss making a table or completing an essay

this sort of atmosphere of obligation and fulfillment around digital time-wasting machines

creepy

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Yeah, think of layers like cels in traditional animation.

You can layer tons of transparent cels on top of each other, one with the background, the near field background, the character, etc...

All creates one image, but done by arranging the order of individual elements.

It is superior.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote:
    MS Paint people are weird. Use layers with transparency and then flatten them! You are using Paint.net, you are no longer in the image editor dark ages!
    I am weird, I'll be the first to admit.

But, honestly?
    <select area>, <ctrl+shift+v, <F4>, <not even sure>, <move selected area to proper location>, <ctrl+m>

This to you is easier or more correct than
    <select area>, <menu: make transparent>, <move selected area to proper location>

?

You are not understanding. Layers have pixels that are fully transparent and others that are opaque. You make your pattern initially on a transparent layer, duplicate it 4+ times, positions the duplicates, merge them, repeat until it's big enough for you.

Or you can make your pattern on a transparent (non-background) layer and when you copy/paste, it'll not include any background anyway because there is nothing there to include but blank pixels.

You are trying to find a feature that no longer makes sense in the editor you are using.

I see. Did I mention I've been using the program for approximately 15 minutes?

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sweater is fun but i really don't see myself subscribing to it for years and years and years or even year singular

Out of curiosity why?

It had well over a million pre orders, it's not more buggy than other MMO releases. It has a ton of content, some new features, a lot of old features that just work. Star Wars.

PSN: Honkalot
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote:

Paint.NET
    Gimpshop (GIMP with a non-retarded GUI)
    Inkscape (not directly the same type of program, but worth a mention because it is fucking awesome)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    syndalis wrote:

Absolutely not; it is the best free tool out there, and has been for almost a decade, if not longer.

That said, it always feels like I am trying to thread a needle while wearing winter gloves when using it. It does everything, but it is so damn awkward, and doesn't conform to ANY UI paradigm, windows, mac, KDE/Gnome or otherwise.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

Paint.NET
    Gimpshop (GIMP with a non-retarded GUI)
    Inkscape (not directly the same type of program, but worth a mention because it is fucking awesome)

Bah, things are working well enough with GIMP, but I'll keep it in mind. I don't draw/compose much anyway.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:

sooooo fucking cold

/me flips table

You're in Ottawa, right?

Out here it's been a ridiculous +6 to -7 range for highs and lows for weeks and weeks. Crazy!

Layers is the single most important feature of digital paint tools by a factor of several billion, over any other feature they have.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    Yeah, think of layers like cels in traditional animation.

You can layer tons of transparent cels on top of each other, one with the background, the near field background, the character, etc...

All creates one image, but done by arranging the order of individual elements.

It is superior.

Once you learn how to use layers effectively in a tool that implements them well, going back to a tool that does not is frustrating as shit.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

bowen wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    bowen wrote:

That wouldn't make any sense.

Because you would be changing the law that the parliament wants to put in place.

So it would have to go back to them and they'd have to vote on the amendment to the law, before they wanted to put it forward again.

The legislative branch is just proposing the law to the executive, in this case the executive has a right to veto the law. If they veto it the legislative either has a choice of voting on passing it without the executive's say (which they would have been able to do) or they can try reworking the law and then offering it up again to the executive branch.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    oh sweet this promoter liked my new mix

hopefully this means he wants to give me buckets of cash to host his friday night party!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012

like, people talking about how they really have to sit down and work on getting through the enormous pile of entertainment that they're behind on, talking about how they managed to beat two games this week like it's some sort of satisfying achievement, in the same tone that one might use to discuss making a table or completing an essay

this sort of atmosphere of obligation and fulfillment around digital time-wasting machines

creepy

i used to feel this way! no one wants to feel like they wasted money on an impulse buy. but once i realized that simply owning games that i liked made me happy

i stopped caring about the backlog. i enjoy the fact that i can play these games whenever the mood strikes

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    Download a trial of Z-brush if you want to see the single worst interface ever created by humans.

Whatever GIMP's interface looks like it will make that look neat and perfect.

Honk wrote:

Out of curiosity why?

It had well over a million pre orders, it's not more buggy than other MMO releases. It has a ton of content, some new features, a lot of old features that just work. Star Wars.

Sweater?

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Clinton could, for like 10 minutes. The Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

creepy

As our society becomes increasingly focused on entertainment, I find the division between forms somewhat puzzling. I understand there's a difference between a book and a videogame, but I do find it kind of unusual that "I finished 4 books this month" is a laudable achievement and "I finished 4 videogames this month" is not.

I don't really find a sense of accomplishment unusual when finishing a videogame. Games are usually intended to require effort, work, and attention to beat, they are games in that they are challenges meant for a player to overcome, so it seems quite sensible that a player feel a sense of accomplishment once a game is completed.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    I'm glad to see the propaganda train is already at work deceiving, inveigling and obfuscating re: the NDAA.

It's not in line with current legislature. Previously the Executive Branch was given these broad powers because it said it wanted them and the Supreme Court said "Okay." Now it's codified into legislature. Functionally, for the purposes of the President being able to consign someone to the dungeons without charge or due process, things are the same, but this is a change and it is bad.

Daxon wrote:
    That wouldn't make any sense.

Because you would be changing the law that the parliament wants to put in place.

So it would have to go back to them and they'd have to vote on the amendment to the law, before they wanted to put it forward again.

The legislative branch is just proposing the law to the executive, in this case the executive has a right to veto the law. If they veto it the legislative either has a choice of voting on passing it without the executive's say (which they would have been able to do) or they can try reworking the law and then offering it up again to the executive branch.

Apparently it's a thing. But only dealing with financials. I wonder if it could involve the inverse, the bill deals with financials and he's vetoing the non-financial parts. It would probably take a president with pretty big balls and a congress with similarly big balls, and a supreme court with even larger ones to challenge a line-item veto in the inverse.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

creepy

Given the bolded text

and given that I suspect that you don't have a comparable reaction to a person's reading list

I wonder how much of this is due to a perception, conscious or not, that video games are without cultural merit.

Daxon wrote:
    Sweater?

I figured it's what the cool kids are calling SWTOR these days.

Deebaser wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Clinton could, for like 10 minutes. The Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional.

Oh, well then. Fuck them all for all I care.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    but I do find it kind of unusual that "I finished 4 books this month" is a laudable achievement and "I finished 4 videogames this month" is not.

Well I think that most people still believe -- rightly so perhaps -- that the basic act of reading is a more intellectual exercise, while video games are a more synaptic one.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Honk wrote:
    Download a trial of Z-brush if you want to see the single worst interface ever created by humans.

Whatever GIMP's interface looks like it will make that look neat and perfect.

Z-brush is bad, true.

But GIMP? Major functions hidden behind and only accessible via right clicks on the image canvas, shitty panel management, it is all awful.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    my urge to create something is rising dangegrously.

steam_sig.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    This thread is.

This discussion has been closed.