As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Girls Meetup!

jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment!Brookline, MARegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in PAX Archive
16473322.jpg

Edit: Fixed!

LAST UPDATED: 3/18

http://paxeast2012girlsmeetup.eventbrite.com/
TICKETS ARE UP!

Deadline and deets are posted on the page - the deadline to buy the tickets are one week before PAX.

Hi, I'm juju and I'm running the PAX East 2012 Girls Meetup this year. Our fearless leader Eep (EruditeAphrodite) will not be making it to PAX East this year so I'll be taking over for this meetup!

The Girls Meetup is awesome and if you're a girl, you should attend, too! Not to say we don't love our dudes, but the is the one girls-only event that the PAX Community does that involves booze and brunch. Everyone who attends is awesome, and every time I go to a meetup, I meet so many girls who are super-cool, are like-minded, and have similar interests. There is no age limit, but keep in mind we are all adult ladies so subject material of conversation may be unsuitable for the kiddies. I know I was yelling bunches of expletives at the PAX Prime Girls Meetup after doing Bloody Mary races with chaosisorder, that's for sure.

If you guys have any ideas, I am certainly open to them! Also, if you are a PAX girl (or fun dude) who will be in Boston the Saturday before PAX, PM me for an event we're doing in Cambridge involving The Donkey Show at the American Repetory Theater :)

Date: Sunday 4/8
Time: 10 am (tentative)
Venue: Max & Dylan's! 15 West St, Boston MA 02111
A brisk 15 minute walk from the BCEC, close to the MBTA Downtown Crossing/Park St stops (Red/Orange/Green), or a 3 block walk from the 7 bus that stops in front of the BCEC/Westin :)

Sorry, no refunds! But if you cannot attend, feel free to sell your ticket to someone else who wants one before they purchase one and send me a PM on the Penny Arcade Forums.
ATTENDEE LIST!: updated 1/26
punzie
tvethiopia
TabooPhantasy
adias.angel
Lokiale
Swae
Birdie
KellyShepard087
browncoatbeth
DragonKitty
This-Catalyst
stardust462
chaosisorder
xHiddenMemories
adastra +?
LinkSmash
rascal
nataliepi
smorggie
tnkltnkl +2
Stephidabefida
rubykavalier
agony42
Faisaki
ishtra
cabsy
ErickaJo
PurpleBek
The_Power
Celebrindae
shadowfae
ash6851
PureDin
kqbn
Rachelkitten
bottledgoose
kungpow
ashleyyyy
thedandmom +1
cyanosaurus
Izzie

Maybes! (Please come!)

CaveCibum
zezspecs
Themisycra
aliphin
MyaSharona +1-2
apophenia
@girlgamer88

PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
Twitter: @jujukoo
[E]
juju on

• Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yay Juju!
    I'll be there! I'll also be around for the donkey show. But you probably could have guessed both of those :)

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i'm definitely down for this again, and for your girl-gaming enjoyment, i'll be bringing girl talk this year!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    Count me in a bajillion times <3

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    It must be true that a lady's favourite meal is brunch. I am certainty interested!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Yes, yes and yes! I would love to attend. What day/time does this usually take place?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    It's traditionally on Sunday morning. If I remember correctly, start time is usually around 9 or 10.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    I'm a girl! I will gladly bring my girly self over for hangouts and mimosas. Hooray \o/

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    Count me in! After 3 days in a room with 4 dudes, I'm going to need some girl time. :)

• Options
    punzie wrote:
    It's traditionally on Sunday morning. If I remember correctly, start time is usually around 9 or 10.

That would work out great. I was worried that it was thursday morning while we were flying in. :D

• Options
    CaveCibumCaveCibum Registered User regular
    I'm still not 100% sure I'll be around Sunday, but if I am, I'm there :)

• Options
    BirdieBirdie Registered User regular
    Yay! Count me in :)

• Options
    zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    I'll be leaving at some point on Sunday, so whether I attend will depend on when I'm leaving.

• Options
    zezspecs wrote:
    I'll be leaving at some point on Sunday, so whether I attend will depend on when I'm leaving.
    If I bribe you with a mimosa and hug can I convince you to stay in town until after brunch?

2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    This sounds like fun. I'd love to come!

First timer PaxEast girl here. So I'm trowing myself into a lot of events to get a sense of the community. :)

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    If it doesn't conflict with my responsibilities as an Omeganaut, I'll totally come! If it does hopefully I'll catch you ladies elsewhere around the convention. Sorry to hear EruditeAphrodite can't make it this year, but I look forward to seeing the rest of you.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    Lokiale wrote:
    zezspecs wrote:
    If I bribe you with a mimosa and hug can I convince you to stay in town until after brunch?

Potentially. I'd have to check when family things are happening since that's what I'm leaving early for. As long as I'm not going to completely miss whatever is happening, I'll at least stay for the brunch and leave straight afterwards.

• Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    I'm in! I've been saying I'm going to come to this thing for the last two years, so this year I am firmly resolved to finally do it. :)

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    do you think the fact that this is basically going to be an easter brunch will make booking difficult? that just occurred to me.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    tvethiopia wrote:
    do you think the fact that this is basically going to be an easter brunch will make booking difficult? that just occurred to me.

We'll definitely have to be pretty early in reservations. As long as we're providing a group of paying customers it shouldn't be too bad as long as the reservation is made a long time in advance. (Though I'm basing this on Texan restaurants, I don't know if the ones up North necessarily act as laid back)

2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    Lokiale wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:

We'll definitely have to be pretty early in reservations. As long as we're providing a group of paying customers it shouldn't be too bad as long as the reservation is made a long time in advance. (Though I'm basing this on Texan restaurants, I don't know if the ones up North necessarily act as laid back)

well, boston does have a large catholic population, so maybe easter event venues will be in high demand? or possibly some places will want to be closed for the holiday. or maybe i'm just overthinking it.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Better to be safe than sorry. Are you a BOston local? maybe do a walk around/call around, find out what venues would fit our group, find which ones will be open. then Post them here and we can all vote?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    Juju is a Boston local, is no stranger to dining out, and I'm sure she has already thought about possible Easter complications, as she practices/celebrates. Keep in mind, the girl's brunch is "traditionally" on Sunday morning. That doesn't mean it WILL be on Sunday morning this year. If adjustments need to be made, I'm sure they will be.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    I secretly would love a morning brunch on a Friday/Saturday to start the busiest day of PAX with the girls if there are Easter complications.....or to just cure previous nights' hangovers.

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Options
    DragonKittyDragonKitty Registered User regular
    Down as usual! Assuming nothing gets in the way.

• Options
    punzie wrote:
    Juju is a Boston local, is no stranger to dining out, and I'm sure she has already thought about possible Easter complications, as she practices/celebrates. Keep in mind, the girl's brunch is "traditionally" on Sunday morning. That doesn't mean it WILL be on Sunday morning this year. If adjustments need to be made, I'm sure they will be.
    Right. I was just curious. trying to help out a bit. :/

I'll keep my newbie mouth quite and go back to lurking.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options

I'll keep my newbie mouth quite and go back to lurking.

I hope I didn't come off harsh or anything. I was just trying to answer questions/concerns.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    maybe a bit. But no hard feelings. *fistbump* I tend to shove my nose in all the wrong places with idiotic questions. *shrug*
    :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    This-CatalystThis-Catalyst Registered User regular
    Count me in!

I was at the last PAX East ladies brunch in 2011.

I would also be happy with a Friday or a Saturday morning brunch as well, if too many people have conflicts on Sunday. I also like meeting people early - there's something nice about getting to the point during a convention when you can run into familiar faces.

I'm also down with any informal meetups too - perhaps once the Schedule is out, it might be nice to grab some drinks and chat after a panel.

Also, to quote from a past Ladies meetup:
    The PAX girls' meetup does not care about your genetic makeup or what is between your legs. As long as you are a GIRL you are welcome to attend. We do not discriminate, every gamer girl is welcome here.

• Options
    I like that quote!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    I would love to attend this! Count me in.

• Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    A couple of notes!

I'm glad there's a good amount of interest so far! I know that Easter might affect attendance numbers for this brunch. As I can see, it looks like Sunday may still be the day for the brunch, Easter or not. Switching the day will be taken into consideration if there are severe objections from the vast majority of people but it doesn't look like there'll be a problem. Keep in mind there are other events on Saturday/Saturday morning so Sunday will more than likely sit as the Girls Meetup day.

I'm also trying to drop the venue to be somewhere away from the BCEC (a comfortable 15 minute walk) which makes it much closer to a variety of places to worship, or easily accessible to said places. If we do the meetup on the FiDi side of the river, you're close to a lot of churches and a short T ride from many others.
    tvethiopia wrote:

Usually it will, but where we are in Boston it likely won't. I have a venue in mind already (and a few others if 1st choice doesn't pan out) which will more than likely accommodate us for our price range so that's actually the least of my worries. I want to have a good estimated number before I pull the trigger so if you know of anyone who is considering going please have them RSVP here!

While I would like to go to Lucky's or other places on the BCEC side of the river, I have some reservations. The restaurants in close proximity and visibility to the convention center will be bombed with PAX people. A bunch of them closer to the waterfront don't serve brunch, and if they do, it will be balls expensive (although I'm not counting a few of them out). I did the vetting and scouting for Eep last PAX East, and we barely fit in our space at Lucky's when turnout was a few bodies more than we expected. Couple that with their Sinatra brunch and normal PAXers becoming privvy to the closeness after last year, and we'll definitely have a space issue on our hands, seeing as how they wouldn't have a larger area to accomodate us. And seeing as how the attendance for Prime was close to 60 and East's this year will surpass last year's, we'll have to find a more suitable venue.

I appreciate your willingness to help! Punzie does make a point that I'm familiar with the area. I'm not opposed to suggestions by any means. Keep in mind we are working with a lot of variables as of now so the biggest thing anyone can do to help is make sure all you guys tell your PAX girl friends to let me know if they're coming so I can get the wheels in motion! Easter WILL change our numbers quite a bit so I want to make sure we have the right head count for the event.

[E]
  • Options
    Definitely count me in. A sunday brunch will be wonderful. The group I am going to Pax with is small this year, so I'm looking for as many get-togethers as I can to make friends.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm down for a rematch with Juju. Name the time and place and I will sally forth. And then I will drunkenly attempt to play board games and eat like a dozen cupcakes bemoaning my loss to Juju if history repeats...

• Options
    juju wrote:
    If we do the meetup on the FiDi side of the river, you're close to a lot of churches and a short T ride from many others.

Stupid tourist question - What does FiDi stand for?

• Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    I think Financial District, but I'm not sure. I'm local (well, Massachusetts, I've never lived in the city), but I've never heard it called that before. I love it.

• Options
    juju wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:

Usually it will, but where we are in Boston it likely won't. I have a venue in mind already (and a few others if 1st choice doesn't pan out) which will more than likely accommodate us for our price range so that's actually the least of my worries. I want to have a good estimated number before I pull the trigger so if you know of anyone who is considering going please have them RSVP here!

my concerns have been filed under 'juju's got this'.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    xHidden MemoriesxHidden Memories Registered User regular
    Wait so is this happen Within the days of PAX? like the 6th-8th..but it will be on Sunday? 10am or pm?
    I would like to go! :)
    Even though I can't have any of the booze ^^;; still only 17. But i would still love a drink ;)
    But I'd like to try and go to this! :o
    Like as long a I know the exact date and time I'd love to go..Cuz I'd be sleeping in a hotel room with like all guys.. It would be nice to hang out with other Pax girls :)

You know why people have eyes in the front? Because they have to move forward to see the landscape in the distance. If you had eyes in back all you could see is your home town getting farther away; you can't move forward like that. If your eyes are in front what you see in the distance keeps getting closer. That's what lets people move forward.
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yup! It's all-ages. It's 10 or 10:30 am as it's a brunch event. You won't be served alcohol as you're under age, but it doesn't come with the price of the meal anyway so you'll be okay.

juju on
    [E]
  • Options
    Even though I can't have any of the booze ^^;; still only 17. But i would still love a drink ;)

You won't be the only not drinking. I know if we are having brunch I want a BIG cup of hot tea to go with mine. ;-)

• Options
    adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I'm definitely game, and may be bringing more girls. Yay!