As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions, Discussion, Tutorials

• Options
    squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    NibCrom wrote:
    I have the Intuos4 large. It's a good product.

It's difficult to get used to the pressure precision and everything? I'm using a Bamboo right now and I can't figure the feeling of that tablet.

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    square wrote:
    NibCrom wrote:
    I have the Intuos4 large. It's a good product.

It's difficult to get used to the pressure precision and everything? I'm using a Bamboo right now and I can't figure the feeling of that tablet.

It's just practice. Might take you a few months to get used to it.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Do you dudes find it more beneficial to practice art studying photographs or other paintings for reference?

I'm finding I get so much more out of studying other peoples art....maybe it's just because I'm using crap photo references.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I look at photographs for subject reference, and inspiration regarding composition/lighting/colors. I study other artists' work for inspiration or technique reference.

It helps you to figure out how things are done sometimes by looking at how other artists have accomplished those same goals.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Looking at other people's art just seems so much easier, I'm not sure if it is in fact easier or just a disservice to when you'll eventually have to work from photo ref. It all seems so bloody obvious when you look at other peoples stuff and it certainly helps me develop some degree of technique.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    One thing I've never understood is how to correctly construct the axes on a sphere, and where they intersect with the surface of the sphere, which is frustrating because it's a pretty crucial part of being able to draw the head.

rotate-x-thumb.jpg

Do you guys have a process for finding these points? Or is it just an inherent thing that you pick up through practice?

• Options
    Flay wrote:
    One thing I've never understood is how to correctly construct the axes on a sphere, and where they intersect with the surface of the sphere, which is frustrating because it's a pretty crucial part of being able to draw the head.

rotate-x-thumb.jpg

Do you guys have a process for finding these points? Or is it just an inherent thing that you pick up through practice?

I think it's mostly practice, but I like this books methods and they way they explain it:

http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing-Invention-Michael-Hampton/dp/0615272819

• Options
    You must let your heart guide the way.

Seriously though, I wouldn't say I'm great at it, but I try to visualise it like an onion (a perfectly spherical onion) that I'm carving up. I think I stole that from Loomis, I'm pretty sure he did a chapter on it in one of his books.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Okay, time to go draw a heap of spheres.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Hey AC, I asked GV but I'm not sure if anyone knows over there.

I have 9x12 bristol board and I'm wondering how big would I make the live area? I have other bristol board with the live area already lined for me, but I am trying to draw on small bristol board so I can scan some of my stuff in for friends to see.

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Errrr, this isn't laser-precise but see how 7x11.5 works for you. That's pretty close to the usual margin ratio on a larger, reproducable comic sheet.

Man, though. Just work bigger and scan in two halves & recombine digitally. Stuff looks so much better when you can work larger ... and the math is easier.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    squidbunny wrote:
    Errrr, this isn't laser-precise but see how 7x11.5 works for you. That's pretty close to the usual margin ratio on a larger, reproducable comic sheet.

Man, though. Just work bigger and scan in two halves & recombine digitally. Stuff looks so much better when you can work larger ... and the math is easier.

I'll try that out! Also, while I realize it would be easier to work on something bigger simply because on the bigger boards everything is marked up for me, I prefer smaller boards for now at least. It might change though :P

• Options
    RomanRoman Registered User regular
    Hey, when will new resolution thread be made?

• Options
    I'll try to put up a new thread later today.

• Options
    DaltonCarlDaltonCarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

DaltonCarl on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Resumes laid out in Landscape, rather than the traditional Portrait format: good idea? Pretty sure it will only be viewed on a computer and not printed out so that got me thinking it would be a good idea.

Which brings me to another question: if I choose to lay it out Landscape, should I go for Letter size, or Tabloid? My portfolio is Tabloid/11x17in, but not sure how just a resume would be perceived at such a large format, or if that actually works better for viewing on a computer.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Siegfried wrote:
    Resumes laid out in Landscape, rather than the traditional Portrait format: good idea? Pretty sure it will only be viewed on a computer and not printed out so that got me thinking it would be a good idea.

Which brings me to another question: if I choose to lay it out Landscape, should I go for Letter size, or Tabloid? My portfolio is Tabloid/11x17in, but not sure how just a resume would be perceived at such a large format, or if that actually works better for viewing on a computer.

landscape might be interested for a design-oriented resume

I'd stick with letter though, there's still a chance your employer will be printing it out

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Also, is it a type faux pas to put a serif font on its side?

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    If it looks good, it doesn't matter.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Siegfried wrote:
    Also, is it a type faux pas to put a serif font on its side?

not... really

depends almost entirely on context

if you can, post the completed resume here before you send it off

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    Is there a way to change your brush size in flash? I can't believe I am asking this question right now but I just dont have the energy to scour the entire program trying to solve this problem.

• Options
    Nevermind I found it. Also holy shit I forgot how satisfying drawing in flash is.

• Options
    ChazzonChazzon Registered User regular
    I'm thinking this is the right place.

I am looking for some artists to submit ideas for a Acrylic custom PC case I am building. Of course since I live in Japan I cannot have you on site when it's being etched into the case.

I was hoping I could do a contest thread for the artists to post, with a Paypal payment for the selected art. But I READ the rules. And That seems to be against them. So I am going good, and following the forum rules.

So, I'm looking for a futuristic design to go on a odd shaped case. I will not disclose what it looks like in public. So any artist who wants in will need to PM me for the specs.

It needs to be modern, but not to dense. It needs to cover the entire case, but not block the view of the components and effects I'll have built in. Your name will be included on the case giving credit for the design. This case will be unveiled at PAX prime 2012 at the BYOC. If artist attends PAX prime I will personally buy you a BYOC pass so you can view and take pride in your design and take photo's. The badge is a bonus, I will still pay additional for the art it's self.

I intend to spend most of the year till pax building and making this build the best it can be.

Parts I'll be using, but not limited too.

AMD 8150 FX
    Sabertooth 990FX motherboard
    16gb DDR3 1866 G.skill memory
    3 Crucial 128 SSD's
    Corsair 850 watt PSU
    SLI GTX 580
    Custom water-cooling for CPU and GPU's

Case will contain a large assortment of Fans, LED's, and some mystery flare effects I'll be working to prefect so they do not damage the system well active. This is a high quality build, and I am looking for a artist to provide high quality art for it.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Chazzon,

You might have better luck laying out what style of are you are looking for (Beyond "futuristic and modern" if possible) and what your budget is for the art. Not everyone checks the discussion thread who is looking for work, so If you have a specific artist in mind, or see someone who's style you like, contact them and ask what their commission prices are.

If you have a resonable budget, there might be some artists interested, though 2 weeks is a short time frame.

• Options
    ChazzonChazzon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm leaving the general concept open. I'm not a artist. I don't try to be. I can make effects, and build cases that really pop and show off the parts. The project is still mid progress, and I'd rather keep the concept in private. I can say a few things though.

Case will need to fit a Rad 125x58.5x410mm. Case will also be 2 1/2 3 feet high, and have 2-3 vertical "stacks" That will be at odd angle's. Case will include special effects, to include but not limited to Fog, LED, Strobes, Lasers, and sound effects. I have a DJ currently making the program for the effects and we are working on how we will place them and the timings. So it won't be some half ars far. If you know Deadmau5, Think his high quality effects and your on the right track for quality we are putting into this.

I'm really leaving the concept open for the artist.

I'm willing to do a few things.

1: Pax prime 2012 3 day pass + BYOC badge for the entire PAX event for artist to view art and case and take photo's and play some sick games on the rig.
    2: Payment of the value of said tickets. So your looking at let's say $100 Payment

Payment will be Sent vie Paypal for security reasons.

P.S. I can increase time limit from 2 weeks to 1 month. This should give plenty of time. At that point I will have the version 1 finished.

Chazzon on
  • Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    I was wondering what the general consensus is around here about posting my own music thread? I've been lurking for a while and love the community and kick in the pants critiques and could really use some as I do more and more recordings of my band.

And what would be the preferred posting method? I know rules state art in thread, but with music thats awkward. Just links to MP3s? Links to bandcamp? I dont want to be site whoring.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think youtube videos are preferred because they embed, but people have posted music links before. As long as it goes directly to a song and not like a myspace fan page, I think your fine.

The board has a few musicians, but not many, so responses might be slow and less plentiful compared to what the visual artists get. Totally post though, It'd be cool to hear what you have!

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Yep, youtube, you need to make it as accessible as possible.
    The internet moves pretty quick these days, and you need to get your point across in two clicks or less or you're probably going to get ignored.

Mustang on
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend some excellent Art/Design-related podcasts?

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Guys I'm trying to get my Intuos3 working on a laptop with Windows 7. I know the Intuos drivers are notoriously bullshit with Win7 but I'm not having the usual problems with pressure sensitivity and the driver not starting with the the computer, etc., etc.. Instead, I just can't get the tablet buttons working for right-click, double-click and whatnot. I've already tried disabling all Windows' goofy Tablet PC services as suggested by search results (& which helped in that it got rid of that ridiculous ripply circle business) but the clicks still aren't working. Thoughts?

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    How do you guys have your drawing table set up? I'm trying to figure out a height and angle for mine, but I can't find any info online other than "adjust it until it is comfortable."

• Options
    NibCrom wrote:
    How do you guys have your drawing table set up? I'm trying to figure out a height and angle for mine, but I can't find any info online other than "adjust it until it is comfortable."

Well, ideally it should be set up so your drawing will be as perpendicular to your eyeline when you're drawing at a comfortable position, to minimize perspective distortion. Quick and dirty diagram:

deskangle.jpg

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    chuckle

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I'm trying to make a business card in GIMP, but when I select pixles per inch to be 300 and the size of the card 3.5 inch by 2 inches suddenly it becomes 12 inches long.

Am I doing something wrong if I want this to be printed? If so... what? Because what I'm doing makes sense to me but not to GIMP

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Are you trying to export it as a jpeg or something?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    or anything that can be brought to a guy at kinkos to print it out

edit: I'm guessing turning it into a straight image doesn't stick to the inch measurements?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    Well jpegs are designed for web so they only use 72dpi. You probably want to use tiff or eps. Also you could just bring him a psd file and they should be able to open that.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    GIMP can save in psd... but I've never tried it before so I didn't know if it would actually work... or if there would be some possible backward-compatibility issues.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    no it's fine to save as psd in gimp, although if you're using layer effects (screen, etc) sometimes they don't map exactly to the photoshop options. But tif or eps is easier unless you want the printer to be able to mess with the layers.