As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2012 BYOC Info/FAQ - Post-Event Feedback starts on page 14

• [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Vapok wrote:
    FuzzDad wrote:
    The loading dock would be perfect...great solution considering a lot of us will drive up and bring our heavy rigs (mine + monitor must be 50-60lbs). So if we stick to two-wheeled folding hand-carts we should be OK (from a union standpoint)?

I brought a 220+ pound trunk with my mod and monitor in it... if not for the help of awesome enforcer Todd C in getting me a cart, I would have been lost.

I remember that trunk! I definitely enjoyed looking at your rig... sooo many fans! Are you bringing it back?

I'm driving, so it's an option. I have been using that as my primary PC, but have been thinking of putting it up for auction, maybe 30% Child's Play, remaining proceeds to cover build materials and my next build, since I don't have sponsors. ;)

p3HkbcM.png
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Also, an update to my previous post:

In addition to having access to the loading dock (to assist with BYOC attendees who drive to the BCEC), I am planning on having a BYOC table stationed at the Westin airwalk with a supply of approved carts (only on Friday morning). These carts can be used by attendees to wheel equipment from the Westin airwalk through the convention center to the BYOC area. Hopefully this makes it easier for those of you who have equipment with them at the Westin. We will also provide these carts on Sunday afternoon from the BYOC room for use back to the Westin airwalk.

As mentioned above, you may bring your own two wheeled carts, however, you may not be allowed to keep them in the BYOC room. Recommended to store these in your hotel room during PAX. As a reminder, personal chairs, coolers, etc. will not be allowed in the BYOC room. Plan accordingly. :D

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I have a short list right now but I am entertaining suggestions for contests for this year!

If you suggest tournaments you will be shunned :P This is for BYOC contests, not PC tournaments.

Expect to see a return of some of the favorites from last year (I have 3 in mind :P) and even more.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    The only other suggestion I have is to maybe arrange for packing materials or some other way to make packing up and shipping computers home after PAX easier. There is a Fedex store inside the BCEC, which is nice, but it wasn't really very close to the BYOC room last year and if I recall correctly they charged something bordering on exhorbitant, like $20+ as a convenience above the normal shipping charges for using them. Is my memory correct on that point?

(I am taking the Train up on Thursday night, but flying back on Jet Blue Sunday so I can work monday. That means that I'll be hauling my computer with me on the train, but shipping it back to myself).

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    BigRed wrote:
    I have a short list right now but I am entertaining suggestions for contests for this year!

If you suggest tournaments you will be shunned :P This is for BYOC contests, not PC tournaments.

Expect to see a return of some of the favorites from last year (I have 3 in mind :P) and even more.

After last year, if I hear the music for Robot Unicorn Attack I go into violent spasms and black out. Please. Be kind.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • TheTerribleManTheTerribleMan Registered User regular
    I think we should have a LARP. The team that defeats the dragon wins.
    BigRed wrote:

I think we should have a LARP. The team that defeats the dragon wins.

If BigRed is the Dragon, I will bring the popcorn.

Vapok
    I hate you all.

flatline wrote:
    BigRed wrote:

After last year, if I hear the music for Robot Unicorn Attack I go into violent spasms and black out. Please. Be kind.

I will have that as my ringtone at PAX just for you <3

BigRed wrote:
    I will have that as my ringtone at PAX just for you <3
    I'll leave this here: http://bit.ly/cnsr3R *cackle*

Vapok
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    You two are setting such a bad example for us grunt level Enforcers XD

• [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    "...always, I wanna BE with you, make beLIEVE with you, and live in harmony, harmony..."

p3HkbcM.png
  • japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    in the past, small coolers (no wheels) with gel packs (no ice) were allowed. Has this policy changed?

7jIDTca.png
    japerry wrote:
    in the past, small coolers (no wheels) with gel packs (no ice) were allowed. Has this policy changed?

The lunchbox sized coolers are still allowed

As a side note, since we have all hit the "I'm starving, I'm sick of the jacked up prices here, but I don't want to leave" wall at some point, the local pizzerias (I forget which one I used) WILL deliver to the BCEC - and Enforcers are very grateful for free pizza :)

Although now that I think about it, I didn't get anything other than a thank you, and a link to the Most Annoying Song In the World.

Guess I know what I'll be playing at the firehouse tonight. Hope I don't get caught.

edited January 2012
    flatline wrote:
    As a side note, since we have all hit the "I'm starving, I'm sick of the jacked up prices here, but I don't want to leave" wall at some point, the local pizzerias (I forget which one I used) WILL deliver to the BCEC - and Enforcers are very grateful for free pizza :)

Although now that I think about it, I didn't get anything other than a thank you, and a link to the Most Annoying Song In the World.

Guess I know what I'll be playing at the firehouse tonight. Hope I don't get caught.

HEY I thanked you for the pizza!

That kept me going that day.

Do you want a hug next time? :P

BigRed on
    flatline wrote:

Also, I would like to add, that since last PAX, there have been a number of restaurants that have opened up on Summer St. just over the bridge from the front of the BCEC that might be worth checking out. Pizza Deliveries though are pretty awesome! I'd hug. Hell, I'd even /dance with someone if they brought me pizza.

Vapok
  • WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    hmm question, site says you need a 3-day pass to register for the BYoC, what about 3 one-day passes? that work out? (dang my tardyness).

Wodrith wrote:
    hmm question, site says you need a 3-day pass to register for the BYoC, what about 3 one-day passes? that work out? (dang my tardyness).

Yes it does.

You just have to be able to get *into* PAX to get into BYOC. That works via a 3day or some single days.

• TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    Just bought my ticket. Can't wait to play some games with you guys!

Say, is anyone here the guy who explained to me what BYOC is in the waiting line for Portal 2, and then proceeded to play Mario Kart with me?

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    ok cool. Thinking about buying tickets for me and my gamer wife. Any big games that draw people specifically? Been looking for people to play savage 2 with :D hehe

BigRed wrote:

HEY I thanked you for the pizza!

That kept me going that day.

Do you want a hug next time? :P

I did acknowledge that the Enforcers were grateful for the pizza, and that I got a thank you! As for next time.... maybe let me wear the cape for half an hour?

And parade throughout the room laughing maniacally?

• FuzzDadFuzzDad Registered User regular
    How many enforcers will work the BYOC? I'll spring for Pizza one night...

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Since you asked the question here: all of them.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hiyo...

I purchased both Pax tickets under my name.

I went ahead and purchased both BYOC tickets attached to the same group..

Does this mean it will be a problem for my girlfriend to get in? Do I have to do something weird to fix this?

I only ask as I noticed that the tickets are non-transferable... except it's attached to her pax pass... and I live with her... So I'm a little confused.

Anywho... Guidance is useful. I've done BYOC for both previous pax Prime's East's, so...

~Kia

Edit: I'm silly and wrote this too late at night, and wrote prime instead of East. :P

Kiashien on
    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    FuzzDad wrote:
    How many enforcers will work the BYOC? I'll spring for Pizza one night...
    whypick1 wrote:
    Since you asked the question here: all of them.
    LOL.. Well, if you're including whypick, he counts as like 3 or 4 enforcers. *cackle* The number varies with need from show to show, and we aren't anywhere close to finalizing where people are going to work. It should be us buying /you/ pizza as, without attendees, PAX wouldn't be what it is. =)

Kiashien wrote:
    Hiyo...

I purchased both Pax tickets under my name.

I went ahead and purchased both BYOC tickets attached to the same group..

Does this mean it will be a problem for my girlfriend to get in? Do I have to do something weird to fix this?

I only ask as I noticed that the tickets are non-transferable... except it's attached to her pax pass... and I live with her... So I'm a little confused.

Anywho... Guidance is useful. I've done BYOC for both previous pax Prime's, so...

~Kia
    Kia, that should be fine. We run into the same issue with parents buying BYOC passes for their children. The non-transferable part is a method to prevent people from out right buying BYOC passes and then transferring/selling/giving their confirmation letter and barcode to someone else. We know who passes are registered to and if you show up to claim multiple passes under your name at the show with proper photo identification, then you (and your girlfriend) are golden. But if you show up wanting to claim a BYOC badge that is not under your name and you are unable to show photo identification for the name that's registered, then you will not be able to pick up a BYOC badge.

Vapok
  • Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hey, thought I'd share, meritline has $.99 10' Cat5e cables, found it over at Slickdeals. Last year the cable I brought was too short to reach the switch from my seat, this should do the trick!

[EDIT]: BYOC requests you bring a 25' cable in the FAQ, my mistake.

Exodus1 on
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    They're calling for 25 foot cables. 10 may still be too short.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    Aye, we say 25 feet because:
    A) We don't know where you're going to be sitting, and neither do you until you show up.
    B) The switches are pretty spread out, so you may be directly on a swtich, you may be three 8-foot tables away.
    C) Better to have too much, than too little. (There's a joke here)

Vapok
  • Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    Vapok wrote:
    A) We don't know where you're going to be sitting, and neither do you until you show up.
    B) The switches are pretty spread out, so you may be directly on a swtich, you may be three 8-foot tables away.

Sorry, my mistake, should have rtfc first. Time to search for a 25 footer.

Exodus1 wrote:
    Vapok wrote:

Sorry, my mistake, should have rtfc first. Time to search for a 25 footer.

If you buy one and it still isnt long enough, if your cable isnt long enough. just ask around you and see if you can swap with someone during setup. Most people bring super long cables. Plus the Admin desk might have a longer one.

Thankfully this problem is getting more rare over the past few years :)

• WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    A quote from the automatically generated confirmation email:
    "Please visit http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=event&sub=content&view=main&eventid=1838 for more details on the LAN and for updates as we approach March 11th. Also note that your unique BYOC bar code will be emailed to you a week before the event! You will need to print this and bring it with you to the event."

I believe that was the date for East 2011 :/

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    A quote from the automatically generated confirmation email:
    "Please visit http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=event&sub=content&view=main&eventid=1838 for more details on the LAN and for updates as we approach March 11th. Also note that your unique BYOC bar code will be emailed to you a week before the event! You will need to print this and bring it with you to the event."

I believe that was the date for East 2011 :/

Thanks for the heads up, will relay this to LANfest to fix.

• ransimransim Registered User regular
    Both me and robziel are going to be in BYOC again this year, we're looking forward to it.

I just need to decide if we're going to lug up my rig again or just buy a decent laptop instead. I'm still not entirely sold on bringing the rig onto the train or shipping it up.

ransim wrote:
    Both me and robziel are going to be in BYOC again this year, we're looking forward to it.

I just need to decide if we're going to lug up my rig again or just buy a decent laptop instead. I'm still not entirely sold on bringing the rig onto the train or shipping it up.

I keep waffling on this as well. Last year I shipped my rig up, with a few caveats.
    • I put a hot-swap hard drive cage in a 5.25" bay, and hand-carried the HDD on the train to ensure it didn't get punted by a careless delivery guy.
    • I actually bought a new monitor from Newegg and had it delivered to the Westin in my name, as well as a cheapo $10 keyboard.
    • At the end of PAX, I ended up selling the monitor for a slight loss to a local Bostonian, destroyed the keyboard Office Space-style, and shipped the tower back to my home address via the FedEx inside the BCEC (ouch convenience charges).
    Overall, this method was fairly convenient, but pricey - the hotel charged me to receive&hold packages, and the FedEx location charged what I would consider exorbitant shipping fees. However, I was able to ride up on the train with just my carry-on luggage, and fly home the same way. My buddy who had a full-sized tower and a 23" monitor along with his regular luggage struggled

I am strongly considering just bringing my 15" Macbook Pro this year. It's only a year old (quad-core i7), so it can run Minecraft no problem, as well as a handful of other Steam games. Decisions, decisions...

• nollienollie Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So i was perusing the interwebs the other day and stumbled across this post on the forums http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4270420
    I think you know where I'm going with this?
    In the past years I thought it would be cool to try something like a byoc raid but people would have to either all make new characters on the same realm or pay money to switch them it just seemed like too much of a pita...
    But now we just get each others realids bam! raid!
    Sooo I was wondering if there would be any interest in this? :D

nollie on
    Pax East 2012 Omeganaut!
    Pax East '12 checklist: [x] 3 day pass, [x] hotel booked, [x] byoc seat registered, [ ] cookies baked, [ ] omegathon won.
    More tips for shipping a machine:

If you have a push pin heatsink, remove it and pack it separate (It *WILL* come off in shipping and bounce around in your case... thats bad).
    If its a back plate mounted heatsink... but super heavy, id still remove it before shipping. It might put a lot of torque on your motherboard and damage something.
    Make sure all your cards are screwed in tight.

• ransimransim Registered User regular
    flatline wrote:
    ransim wrote:

I keep waffling on this as well. Last year I shipped my rig up, with a few caveats.
    • I put a hot-swap hard drive cage in a 5.25" bay, and hand-carried the HDD on the train to ensure it didn't get punted by a careless delivery guy.
    • I actually bought a new monitor from Newegg and had it delivered to the Westin in my name, as well as a cheapo $10 keyboard.
    • At the end of PAX, I ended up selling the monitor for a slight loss to a local Bostonian, destroyed the keyboard Office Space-style, and shipped the tower back to my home address via the FedEx inside the BCEC (ouch convenience charges).
    Overall, this method was fairly convenient, but pricey - the hotel charged me to receive&hold packages, and the FedEx location charged what I would consider exorbitant shipping fees. However, I was able to ride up on the train with just my carry-on luggage, and fly home the same way. My buddy who had a full-sized tower and a 23" monitor along with his regular luggage struggled

I am strongly considering just bringing my 15" Macbook Pro this year. It's only a year old (quad-core i7), so it can run Minecraft no problem, as well as a handful of other Steam games. Decisions, decisions...

Last year we drove up to Boston, but we're just going to do the train again like we did the first year, it was a lot less stressful overall and more fun then the drive from the DC area to Boston. Even driving just lugging my case into BYOC from the curb was a challenge (really should have thought to get a cart) with my tower, two monitors, a keyboard, mouse and the cords. My bitfenix case is also awesome but not particularly small or light with all of my stuff in it.

My worry with shipping honestly is that I will lose my ever loving mind not having my PC at home. I don't console game and pretty much do everything from my PC, gaming, life tasks (bills), work items from home, hobbies, that not having it for many days prior to PAX and then many days after I might very well make my other half hate me.

So really just considering whether it might be worth the investment to get a nice sager laptop for 1100-1200ish and call it a day.

Man writing that out it really just sounds like one gigantic first world problem rant...

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    ransim wrote:
    flatline wrote:
    ransim wrote:

Last year we drove up to Boston, but we're just going to do the train again like we did the first year, it was a lot less stressful overall and more fun then the drive from the DC area to Boston. Even driving just lugging my case into BYOC from the curb was a challenge (really should have thought to get a cart) with my tower, two monitors, a keyboard, mouse and the cords. My bitfenix case is also awesome but not particularly small or light with all of my stuff in it.

My worry with shipping honestly is that I will lose my ever loving mind not having my PC at home. I don't console game and pretty much do everything from my PC, gaming, life tasks (bills), work items from home, hobbies, that not having it for many days prior to PAX and then many days after I might very well make my other half hate me.

So really just considering whether it might be worth the investment to get a nice sager laptop for 1100-1200ish and call it a day.

Man writing that out it really just sounds like one gigantic first world problem rant...

you could also build yourself a fairly cheap light gaming rig that is designed to be portable (small tower, etc) and do the monitor thing that flatline suggested.

zerzhul wrote:
    ransim wrote:
    flatline wrote:
    ransim wrote:

you could also build yourself a fairly cheap light gaming rig that is designed to be portable (small tower, etc) and do the monitor thing that flatline suggested.

Shuttles and other SFF PCs dont have much utility as a Laptop does.

It all depends how many LANs you want to travel for I suppose :P If you want to go to many far away LANs then a Small form factor PC would be a wise investment.