As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FE] the lumberjack school of warfare

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    A question about the skill Blossom.
    Blossom give you +50% of your current stat growths in exchange for reduced experience.
    In the character creation guide, it states that units can only have growth percentages in increments of 10. Does Blossom overrule that?
    (i.e. I have a defense growth rate of 30%. If I take Blossom, is it 45% or does it get rounded)
    It also states that you cannot have a growth rate of 100%. Does Blossom overrule that?
    (i.e. I have an HP growth of 80%. I should get an extra 40% due to Blossom. This would take me up to 100%.)

Looking at the wiki, the growth rate is the chance that a stat will increase when you level up.

So on average my character should have 16 RES by level 21 (6+20*50%). Of course this is not how probability actually works so I will roll all 99s every level for every stat.

I would guess your character would then get a 120% chance each level to level your Hit points, so you will max it out.

Honestly if you plan to keep Blossom there seems to be no need to have more then 70%. But you lose out on some awesome powers.[/minmax]

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Texasheat- luck isn't a stat in this game. If you saw that somewhere, could you point it out so I can change that? Weapon hit rate is simply labelled as "hit" on the weapon chart.

Sir Fabulous- Wow, I didn't think that out very well! We'll say Blossom rounds up, and that 90% is still the highest it can go. Thanks for noticing that!

If I'm correct, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Pinfeldorf is the only person left who's expressed interest and not put up anything yet. Once they get their character up, I'll start the long and arduous process of decision-making, hopefully finalizing and starting by early next week. Thanks for all the submissions, everyone!

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Alright thanks for the clarifications.
    To be completely honest, Blossom seems very powerful. It would be possible for me to make a character with no stat growths below 80%.
    Now I don't know how strong these characters are supposed to be compared to the characters in the actual Fire Emblem games, but obviously that is far more powerful than any character ever to appear.
    I don't know if it sounds nitpicky, but just something to consider.

Edit: Actually, I guess that it's an even stronger skill in the actual games. Don't mind me then.
    Edit Edit: No wait I think it has about the same power in game. Probability screws with my head so badly.
    Edit Edit Edit: Okay it was actually pretty easy to figure out. Even though this has no bearing on the actual game whatsoever, check out at which levels the tabletop Blossom is stronger than the videogame Blossom and vice versa.

Real Game Tabletop
    10%=19% 10%=20%
    20%=36% 20%=30%
    30%=51% 30%=50%
    40%=64% 40%=60%
    50%=75% 50%=80%
    60%=84% 60%=90%
    70%=91% 70%=90%
    80%=96% 80%=90%
    90%=99% 90%=90%

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    Yeah, still on the fence about that one, even though it actually appeared in a couple of games. I'm not planning on running an especially long game, so I could see it being either stupid overpowered or crippling overall. I think I'll keep it momentarily and probably end up reworking it before anyone can get the skill in-game :P

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, unless you throw levels around like candy, that halving of xp will make you like that obligatory 'one character that takes all the exp from all the useful character but never actually levels'

steam_sig.png
    I based my character on Jagen.

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The skills like blossom and whatever that one is that doubled experience (Paragon?) are on characters that actually make sense to have them in a gameplay standpoint in the video games. Just looking at path of radiance you've got a bow cavalier you get at level 1 in the middle of the game (and so the doubled exp helps you play catchup with her) and a thief, a support class that you could potentially spoil with experience to get a character more able to hold their own in combat. Both kind of interesting and valid options for where they come in, but not something that really would make sense on Ike or any of the characters you start with.

Blossom's also pretty bad in that it rewards you for planning out your character in advance to benefit from it (taking middle of the line stat growths that will round up to both maximize blossom and avoid prematurely capping stats and avoiding growth rates) which is always something I scorn in a game system. Glad to hear you're thinking of adjusting it.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Yea, it was on the wiki in the battle section. I was trying to figure out how to make attack rolls and calcualte % to hit, and it says some formula. and that formula didn't make since to me cause it references the luck stat. I was attempting to determine what starting weapons to take, and i figured i better know how to attack to figure out which one to pick. It's not very clear anywhere that i found, on how to attack and what adds or subtracts from a roll.

The wiki isn't the system we're using, it's a system I [slash]cribbed[/slash] used as a basis and a bit of a reference. Luck is irrelevant, and the new attack rules are found found in the second link in the op:

this one!

hopefully that clears up any questions you have?

edited January 2012
    Geez, sorry. I guess I wrote a damn book. Looks like my char is complete. Just so I understand everything correctly on attacking, i'm going to make a mock one, tell me if i get it wrong.

Thunder:
    Weight minus build for speed. 4 - 6 = -2
    Subtract from speed 3 - -2 = 5
    Compare, figure out who attacks more, if anyone, if moded speed values are more than 4.

Hit is (90 + 8) - (5 + 10) assuming 5 for r. and 10 for terrain. = 83
    crit is 8 + 5 = 13
    So now i roll a d100. I hit on 83 and below, and miss on 84 and up. I crit for triple dmg on 13 or below. Correct?

edit - also, i never heard. Since D rank weapons are in the starter set, can we use them at level 1? Or do i need to pick a different starting weapon if i want to be able to use it?

edit edit. Crits on dmg. When is the triple applied? before or after you calculate the defenders def or res?

texasheat on
    edited January 2012
    Sorry but you've made a mistake calculating your attack speed.
    It should be
    4 - 6 = -2
    3 - 2 = 1

Edit: Also you can take any weapon on the starter list. You will only be able to attack with weapons that you have weapon skill in though.
    For example, if you have lance skill E, you can take a lance that requires skill D, but you will not be able to use it until you have lance skill D.

Edit Edit: I also can't say for sure, but I believe critical damage is calculated after Defenses.

Sir Fabulous on

edited January 2012
    This is the example:

The first thing to do is determine the Attacker and Defender’s respective speeds. Check the weapon weight, and compare it to the unit’s build. If the Weight is greater than the unit Build, subtract the difference from the unit’s speed.[In this case, the Cavalier has a Build of 6, so 10 – 6 = 4, and her Speed of 5 drops to an attack Speed of 1.] Figure this stuff out beforehand and write it down so it doesn’t become an issue with every attack.

That clearly states, its 10 - 6 = positive 4, and drops the speed from 5 to 1. Meaning 5 - 4 = 1. For me though it would be 3 minus a negitive 2. Which is addition, so it would be 5...right?

edit thanks for clearifing the E and D ranks. I'll take something other than ElThunder.

Edit edit. think about it like this. a heavy weapon will slow you down. Anima, a light weapon, should be faster to use than whatever that cavalier is using....

texasheat on
    edited January 2012
    Oh sorry, this all stems from a different mistake. I assumed that your build was 4 and the tome weighed 6. I didn't realize that your build was 6 and the tome weighed 4. If your build is greater than the weight of your weapon, your speed doesn't change.

Sir Fabulous on

Yeah, if your character is bulkier than the weapon weight, there's no speed penalty. I could probably rewrite that to make it clearer. The triple damage part of critical hits is applied after defense or resistance, I'll check up on that and see if it's humanly comprehensible too.

It just seems wierd, that i crit, but their def/res is tripled as well. Such is life in RP's. Thanks for clearifing the speed thing, so i'll always be at 3 speed. Good to know.

Alright. Unless someone asks me to push it back, signups are gonna close and the party will be finalized tonight. If you make some last-minute changes to your character, please say so, otherwise I might not note them.

Thanks for the hard work, everybody.

I think I'll increase my build by 1 (going from 5 to 6) if that's alright. I don't think of Samish as a big guy, but I don't think of him as a twig either.

Also good luck everyone! Everyone has such cool characters, it's a shame we can't all be in it.

Agh, shit. I dislike rejecting people. This probably could have been up hours ago, but I sorta procrastinated and aaaaugh.

The starting party is: @Shock_G, @Capfalcon, @Rawkking_Goodguy, @Terrendos and @Rhapsody . Congratulations!

I guess I should explain the decision process a bit. I enjoyed reading through all the submissions, and everyone was considered for a spot at one point or another—but when it came down to it, there was a lot of overlap between characters—overlap of classes, skills picked, and roles within the group (magic user, etc.) This may very well be due to me being terrible at balancing or making certain skills/classes sound interesting. So, I decided to try and get a varied group, and there were some choices that just made more sense with that mindset. Also, nepotism.

The important thing to remember is that this isn’t the end of the road! I will likely be casting about for another recruit or two in the future. Maybe not soon, since PbPs tend to run slow, but it’ll happen. Probably. So, when that happens I’ll send out a round of PMs and see who’s available (and still interested after seeing samples of my writing.) Even if you're not interested in participating, I'd welcome feedback on how I'm doing and what I could change, game-wise. So, don't be a stranger!

The game itself starts tomorrow, with any luck.

Congrats to everyone who made it! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Sardo will now be in his tent if you need him. Pay no attention to the explosions unless you hear a cry for assistance.

edited January 2012
    34596635.png

Valetia hadn’t always been a border town. Back in the day, Caldea’s reach stretched further east, all the way to the Marhault Range. But when the seal was finished, Valetia suddenly found itself neighbor to lands where nothing grew- miles of nothing but sand and dust—and worse, the new inhabitants of those godforsaken stretches, those leftover…”abominations” that had not yet met their end in the war. Without help from a veteran storm mage and a few engineers who’d stayed on after the war, it’s likely they wouldn’t have had the food or defenses to make it a year. The stone walls that sprung up around the town proper were hastily built, but they held well enough. And after a time, peace and quiet returned. Complacency.

But if anything makes you an easy mark... well, you're a smart bunch.

I'll leave it at that.

62989286.png

Sunlight shines down on green fields. There’s not a cloud in the sky, and a light breeze cools the air. Valetia is pretty nice, this time of year. The house that old man ordered you to report to, (a small stone building with a red tiled roof some distance outside the walls of the town's outer walls) looks similarly picturesque. Hell, it'd be downright quaint if not for the lingering smell of animals. You’d like to go inside, get the details, get this job started, but initial inspections revealed that the door was locked. Knocking similarly failed to produce results. This is the right place and right time—the small crowd of similarly confused and armed figures gathered around you is proof enough of that. But where’s the client? His name was...something Russo, right? The old man had described him as "very loud, very friendly."

...It's very quiet.

Daypigeon on
    In other words: game start!

Non-combat posts:
    Don't worry too much about identifying who your character is or giving me a stat spread outside of battle. (I'll cover how I want that done when we get to it.) I think I can keep track of five people. Just do what needs doing, or what interests you. And remember, building up a sense of camraderie may have... benefits, later on. Let's get this show on the road, eh?

edited January 2012
    Declaring goldenrod our glorious player color.

Orson

A hulking, brown-haired man in simple, flowing white robes that don't quite go all the way down to the ground approaches the group, holding an oaken walking stick inlaid with a red gem with his right hand. An observant person would notice several stitches of gray thread holding on stretches of off-white cloth to the robe, sloppy alterations added to make the robe actually fit the man.

"Ho there!" he calls to no one in particular in a very loud, very friendly voice as he walks towards the building. "Anyone seen that Russo fellow?" he adds, silencing several people about to ask him if he was in fact the man they were waiting for.

"Might as well try knocking." Orson concludes, clenching his left hand into a fist and firmly pounding against the wooden door, oblivious to the fact that many had tried the same method before him.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    Macia

A woman leans on the house. She's tall, damn near looking over the meat-slab that just pulled her out of her reverie. She runs a hand though her rough chopped, rust colored hair and turns her sleepy eyes on the man. The ragged scars of the right side of her face bunch up as she smiles a small smile.

"Tried that a while ago. Beginning to think the old man's passed out somewhere."

edited January 2012
    Orson

"Hmm..."

Orson pauses.

"...maybe louder? Fella could be asleep in there."

Orson's pounding intensifies, door hinges rattling frighteningly as the door shakes, partially yielding to the man's blows. After several seconds he stops, lest he actually break the door.

"HO THERE!" he shouts at the door.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    Goldenrod, huh? Yeah, that works.

The door quakes in visible fear at Orson's mighty blows and shout, but it stays more or less in place. It'd take a bit more force to bring this thing down, although such a feat would hardly be difficult, should the need arise.

The man you were supposed to meet here continues to not appear.

So that's how it's gonna be, door? >: T

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Sardo

A commotion in the back of the crowd of mercenaries starts up.

"Hey, what's the big idea?"
    "Quit shoving!"
    "OW! Watch where you swing that book!"

A rotund, brown haired man in a dark blue robe makes his way out of the crowd, leaving irritated muttering in his wake. As he approaches the people near the door, he slings the book he has under his shoulder into his pack and says, "It was very nice of all of you to wait for me, but now I have arrived. Let us move forward toward our noble payme- goal. Yes that."

As no one moves to open the locked door, Sardo attempts to open the door and is stymed as the others were.

"Well, isn't this just the rudes- Er... Actually, are we being paid by the hour or a flat rate for the job? Flat rate, you say? Right, then. Well, isn't this just the rudest thing!"

Sardo starts to try and peek in a window.

The small window to the left is somewhat more obliging than the door, offering Sardo a view of a rather...disorganized front room. A simple wooden table lies to the left, covered in layers of parchment and stacks of thick books. A large, notched woodcutter's axe rests against the back wall, alongside several pairs of mud-worn boots, none of which seem to match properly. A puddle of ink has been spilled across the floor to the right.

There's no sign of anyone coming to open the door anytime soon, though. But...did a floorboard just creak from somewhere inside the building? It sounded a bit like that.

• Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    Macia

Mac yawns.

"I'm gonna check the back. Yell if you find something pertinent."

The back, surprisingly, resembles the front for the most part. There's no doors, but a second open window gives Macia a view of another room.

This one would be considered cleaner than the second, if not for the occasional blood splatter on the floor. There's not a whole lot, but it creates an obvious trail leading to some uncovered cellar stairs.

There's also a toolshed a ways to the north!

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Mac feels what might be a very small earthquake underfoot. Instead, he turns to look as a large man in lumbering, burdensome armor appears behind him and slaps him roughly but good-naturedly on the shoulder. "See anything useful? Think I'll go check the toolshed." He points up to the north before stomping off in that direction.

Sardo

"Well, I don't see anything interesting inside. Thought I heard a board squeak, but it wouldn't make too much sense for him to ignore the heavily armed goons who want to get paid banging on his door."

Turning around, Sardo sees the only people who had the initiative to try and find out what was going on wandering to the back of the building. Deciding that they have a new idea about trying to find their employer or they're going to go rob the place, Sardo quickly decides to join them saying, "Wait up! I'm coming too!"

Following the others to the back of the building, Sardo peeks over Mac's shoulder and, upon seeing the blood on the floor, groans. Sardo asks Mac, "We're not going to get paid, are we?"

• RhapsodyRhapsody Registered User regular
    Zia

Zia finally found the house the old man described. It was a bit less than she was expecting, based on the stories she heard, and as she neared, she could hear the sounds of conversation coming from the strangers that had gathered there, then a few loud blows against the door. As the group passes around the side of the house, Zia approaches the door and jiggles the handle.

No dice, and the efforts of the robed man didn't seem to make much of an impact.

She sets down the satchel that was draped across her shoulder and the sling that housed her father's blades is placed aside. Zia kneels at the door, looking intently at the mechanism keeping it shut. She looks through her satchel, trying to find the right slender to disengage the bolt. "I think I can take care of this," she says aloud, as though someone was listening.

edited January 2012
    While the other hired blades hang around chatting and peering through open windows, Allan makes his way to a toolshed, a fair distance from the house itself. Here, at least, the door is wide open. No one's inside, but the sheer number saws, chisels and axes lining the shelves suggest that the items all belong to a carpenter or woodworker of some sort.

Actually, some of these axes look a little less designed for cutting wood and a little more designed for cutting people. Specifically, a hefty, double-headed one with a greenish tint to the metal catches the armored man's eye. But before he can get out (or loot the place), a faint pair of voices, both male, come from behind the shed. The first is clearly exasperated.

"...made it this far? That was a lot of blood, I hope you realize. We should double back."

The second voice is brisk and uninterested. "You're not one of the ones getting paid for your brain. Just check the house. Thoroughly. Report back to the gate in ten."

Allan can practically hear the first speaker roll his eyes in response. "Well, you got it, boss."

Two sets of footsteps separate.

Back at the front of the house, Zia's efforts are rewarded with a crisp click. The door swings open easily, presumably relieved that things were resolved without anyone putting shoulder or axe to wood. A few of the mercenaries that had been milling around pointlessly begin to look over with interest.

"Hey, somebody got it!" one calls out, enthusiastically.

Daypigeon on
    edited January 2012
    Alright fiiiine. Speeding up things a bit by including the info about the blood being fresh that was mentioned in #weapontriangle at rizon.net IRC. (Not required to go there but it's a place to chat about the game.)

Orson

"Good job, good job!" Orson applauds, inviting himself in the house.

"Hello? Hello!" he shouts, looking through the house. Orson frowns seeing the freshly spilled ink, and outright grimaces when he sees the blood on the floor leading to the cellar. This place was a home, not a slaughterhouse, wasn't it? He did smell the stench of animals before, but...no. Prodding a spill with his staff, he sees that the blood isn't dried like you might expect an animal's to be.

Orson rushes down into the cellar, ready to body check any impertinent portals blocking his way with his full force.

...you know, if they're locked.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited January 2012
    Thankfully for Orson's dignity and the eardrums of those around him, no subsequent locked doors seek to impede his progress. The smell of blood gets stronger as he goes, he notices. The cellar is, however, quite dark... and as such, in his haste he comes very close to getting slashed in the kneecaps, as someone lets out a weak, throaty yell from ground level and a blade slices the air in front of him, grazing his robes and missing flesh by a too-small margin.

"Shit," his attacker gasps, the gleam of an outstretched sword now barely visible in the darkness. "G, Grant?"

The voice is panicked and female, but nothing else is immediately apparent.

Daypigeon on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Never one for subtlety, if it wasn't obvious by the giant, earth-shattering armor, Allan hefts his spear and trundles around to the other side of the shed, clearing his throat in a thoroughly unnecessary gesture. If he were rolling for stealth in some sort of role-playing game wherein dice are rolled in order to determine the success of an attempted action, he'd have rolled a natural 0.

edited January 2012
    A short... well, short in comparison, brown-haired man with a longsword strapped to his back almost runs into Allan as he rounds the corner.

"Ah, hello," the man utters, revealing himself to be the first speaker. He speaks slowly, dismay building in his voice as he sizes up the ex-knight. "You...you're not with the worms, are you?"

One hand drifts towards his sword hilt, and both eyes drift towards the nearby treeline.

Daypigeon on