As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dead Space 2: Still Creepy!

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Antithesis wrote:
    It's not that bad, trust me. It's really, really intense though, and one of my favorite gaming moments ever. It's brilliant.
    I totally messed it up my first time :(
    Took me three times. Damn twitchy fingers.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I'm sure you guys have already seen this since it's been floating around on the internet for awhile, but just in case.

Awesome Isaac Clarke costume.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Magus` wrote:
    I find it perfectly acceptable that Marker's can have personalities and different goals. I mean, it's a ridiculously advanced piece of alien tech.

Honestly, I quite like that about the Markers. It's way creepier that each of them as it's own mind and plans instead of just being boring monoliths.

I kind have always assumed that one will eventually make "true" contact and will use Issac to hunt down and kill the others with some sort of incentive. Like they each have some sort of demented old grudge against each other.

stormbringer on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Antithesis wrote:
    Well, I'm going around some Quick Matches now. Magus/Curly, what are your EA ID's? Or, PM me emails, I forget which you plug into the system.

my EA id is curlyhairedboy

i'll be hopping on

it's generally easier to network/set up matches through steam. do you have a steam account?

Added you to Steam! Also what is the text edit to unlock all the goodies in DS2? I don't really feel like re-doing HC again in one sitting.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    hmm i'd have to track that down. i'll dig it up tomorrow.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Magus` wrote:
    I find it perfectly acceptable that Marker's can have personalities and different goals. I mean, it's a ridiculously advanced piece of alien tech.
    Honestly, I quite like that about the Markers. It's way creepier that each of them as it's own mind and plans instead of just being boring monoliths.
    I kind have always assumed that one will eventually make "true" contact and will use Issac to hunt down and kill the others with some sort of incentive. Like they each have some sort of demented old grudge against each other.
    I have a hard time seeing why the markers would differ this radically from each other, since they're all built by humans and from the same original blueprint. Stormbringer's idea's neat though and would kinda gloss over the discrepancies between the two games.

I do however like the "memetic virus" concept, from a "that's cool" standpoint, but it still don't gel very well between DS1 and DS2.

Panda4You on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I passed that thing in question on my first time, and in most games I will fail things I pass to see what it looks like later...

Not with this. Never, ever, with this.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    Added you to Steam! Also what is the text edit to unlock all the goodies in DS2? I don't really feel like re-doing HC again in one sitting.
    Two lines in the settings.txt file appear to unlock the Riot suit, Arctic suit, Soldier suit, and Hand Cannon.

Values for Controls.AcL.X can unlock the Riot suit and Arctic suit (and also determines the completion level of the Marker in the main menu), and values for Controls.AcL.Y can unlock the Soldier suit and Hand Cannon. I only just discovered this and have very few other details worked out, so the blunt way if you want to test it yourself is to simply max out both of those values (0xFFFFFFFF), run the game, load any save and go to a store - any of these five items you don't already have should be there.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited January 2012
    Didn't seem to work, hrm.. I even made an entirely new game just to test it. Weird.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently it was.. another.. settings text.

Magus` on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    So, I'm trying out some new weapons on the New Game+. The detonator is a wonderful thing, though I need to use it more often since it doesn't cost ammo to "miss."

I gave up on the Pulse Rifle because it was so boring- I can use a machine gun in any game. I'm testing out the Seeker Rifle now and I'm thinking the same thing. The Plasma Cutter and Javelin Gun served me well so far- what else should I try? I used the Ripper religiously in Dead Space 1 so I'm leery of going back to old habits.

try the line gun and the force gun...and the contact beam.

RxI0N.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Have you tried the Flamethrower? It's pretty cool in DS2, better than in the first game anyway.

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    It's not that bad, trust me. It's really, really intense though, and one of my favorite gaming moments ever. It's brilliant.

It's not that bad unless you mess it up and then HORRIBLE HORRIBLE things happen.

Isaac is his own worst enemy.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I don't even want to SEE the cinematic that plays if you mess it up.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

It is (and this is not hyperbole) one of the most distrubing things I have ever seen.

I fucked it up first time, saw what happens and just had to put my controller down and take a break.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Holy crap what a game. Why I didn't play this sooner? The ending run was so intense!
    ...because instead of moving all my health packs from my safe I ended up selling them! I had to make due with what was dropped along the way.

I feel I kinda cheated myself by playing 2 first. Is DS 1 (on PC) just as good?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Holy crap what a game. Why I didn't play this sooner? The ending run was so intense!
    ...because instead of moving all my health packs from my safe I ended up selling them! I had to make due with what was dropped along the way.

I feel I kinda cheated myself by playing 2 first. Is DS 1 (on PC) just as good?

yeah, it is. the mouse doesn't behave as well as in DS2 - there's some automatic sensitivity scaling while in aim mode, so you'll have to get used to that.

RxI0N.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    DS1 is more of a horror game, while DS2 is more action. So you may want to keep that in mind going from DS2 to 1.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Playing the original Dead Space, which I just received from Goozex earlier this week.

Man, nothing's worse than losing a big chunk of game time from forgetting to save. I'm in the hydroponics lab. I decided to go take a shower so I paused the game, and for some reason when I returned my 360 was off.

Ugh. Playing something else and I'll come back to this later.

Edit: Had my 360's auto-off set to one hour. Set it to 6.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited January 2012
    Just played through the Severed DLC for the first time since it's original release back in March. PC players aren't missing much, it's short and the content consists of repositioned enemies in levels that were in the original game.

There is a cool part at the end where they mix the child zombies with the raptor things but everything else is pretty by the numbers and since it's so short you never get to really upgrade your stuff, which removes a lot of the fun.

The narrative stuff is interesting,
    It's cool that they can kill off the player character at the end, they would never be able to do that with Isaac. I don't know how I feel about the weird psychic agents they introduce in it (Dead Space Wiki calls them Oracles)
    But all and all it's too bad they didn't take the concept and flesh out more content for it. I would have been willing to pay more for a larger DLC campaign. As it stands the content feels pretty meagre even at the low price they ask for it (what was it, $7 or $5? I don't remember).

It also sucks that they never released it for PC. Good news is that I bet that won't be the case for Dead Space 3, bad news everything will probably be through Origin.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm gearing up for a PC playthrough of Dead Space 2. Is there a way to unlock the Unitology rooms, that unlock when you play that horrible prologue game, on the PC?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited January 2012
    yeah, there's a way, but i'd have to track that down too.

EDIT: here ya go

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1812570

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited January 2012
    Thanks curly haired boy, you're a scholar and a gentleman.

Uselesswarrior on
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote:

It is (and this is not hyperbole) one of the most distrubing things I have ever seen.

I fucked it up first time, saw what happens and just had to put my controller down and take a break.

Argh, I am still freaking out over this. Can you describe what happens?

396796-1.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Korlash wrote:
    Karl wrote:

Blood, screaming, and a very pokey machine goring Isaac's face. Oh and terrifying "LOOK WHAT YOUR CARELESSNESS HAS WROUGHT" music.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Korlash wrote:
    Karl wrote:

You need to use a machine to extract some information from Isaac's mind. Unfortunately this requires inserting a needle into his eye. You fuck it up? That machine just straight up plows into your eye socket. There is A LOT of blood. And screaming

edited January 2012
    Karl wrote:
    Korlash wrote:
    Karl wrote:

You need to use a machine to extract some information from Isaac's mind. Unfortunately this requires inserting a needle into his eye. You fuck it up? That machine just straight up plows into your eye socket. There is A LOT of blood. And screaming
    I think its funny how ridiculous it is. I mean it explodes with blood like someone set off a small demolition charge in his face. Seems like a needle to the face would have a less dramatic effect.

Uselesswarrior on
    edited January 2012
    You know what I'd like to see in Dead Space 3. A greater sense of player agency. One of the best parts of Dead Space right now is the freedom Visceral gives you in regards to the weapon layout, I'd love to see that expanded upon in other areas.

If the player can direct Isaac to parts of the ship (or whatever) the developer could introduce an additional layer of strategy. Also they could really fuck with people by having certain areas that the play really really didn't want to go into.

Uselesswarrior on
    I wouldn't mind DS3 having an upgrade system ala Rachet and Clank (not necessarily with the exp system, of course).

• KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote:
    Korlash wrote:
    Karl wrote:

I am going to turn down the graphics for this scene so much it'll look like an N64 game.

396796-1.png
    edited January 2012
    Uselesswarrior on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    Dead Space 1/2 -> console or PC games at heart?

***this isn't a which should I buy question***

For people with lots of experience with 3rd and 1st person games, which platform did you find the Dead Space games better suited to?

yes consoles have exclusive DLC, yes the PC graphics are better

this is more about the general feel of playing this sort of game and perspective from one platform or the other.

ie, almost all 3rd person games seem to be developed primarily for, and in my opinion, are better suited to couch and console play.

being immediately in front of a screen however, I prefer pretty much all FPS games on the PC.

occasionally there are games where I'm just not sure what the lead platform was, or what it's best enjoyed on. These are some of those games.

Perhaps because although it's third person, it's a lot closer than say, Gears of War, or Space Marine (2 clearly console centric titles)

I'm leaning towards a console soul at this point for the following reasons - the developer's other titles (all console centric), the super limited edition was only on console, the exclusive DLC only for consoles, the 3rd person perspective, the boot stomp doesn't feel right with kbam...

i say PC, only because the dead space games are optimized to a fucking ridiculous extent.

i have friends who can't run SOURCE games who can max dead space 1 and dead space 2.

that says PC game to me.

RxI0N.png
    Having just beat DS2 with a KBM setup and now doing a new run with a pad...I think it feels better with a pad. That being said, does it look pretty on PC. I'm gonna go with pad + PC as the best combo right now.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    does the first also support the pad? and are the controls on a pad the same as the 360 version?

I can only answer for Dead Space 2...but when you plug in a Xbox 360 pad all the icons change to Xbox buttons. AFAIK, it is the same mapping as the console versions.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Dead Space 1 has full 360 pad support, seamlessly.

I can't aim for shit on a controller compared to KBAM, so I'd really go with the PC. On the plus side, you get all the console DLC for free on DS2 and, if you look hard enough, can unlock the supposedly console only Conduit doors as well. As CHB said, it also runs amazingly.

edited January 2012
    Magus` wrote:
    I can't aim for shit on a controller compared to KBAM, so I'd really go with the PC. On the plus side, you get all the console DLC for free on DS2 and, if you look hard enough, can unlock the supposedly console only Conduit doors as well. As CHB said, it also runs amazingly.

Not severed.

I've played both games on both PC and PS3. PC definitely looks better but the textures aren't as hires as I would like, so they don't scale as well to the higher resolution. I prefer a gamepad to a mouse and keyboard, the game "feels" better on it.

It doesn't look bad on the PS3 though, so it really comes down to what you prefer to play it on, couch on in a chair. Steam will have it cheaper then anywhere else though, especially when it's on sale.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Man, I just started up Severed after a four month period of not having a PS3. I'd not really gotten into it when it first came out and I had to start a new game.

I had forgotten how intense this game is. My muscle memory, however, did not. I still tense up when I hear the screech of the guys with the heavy explosive arm.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Just played through the Severed DLC for the first time since it's original release back in March. PC players aren't missing much, it's short and the content consists of repositioned enemies in levels that were in the original game.

There is a cool part at the end where they mix the child zombies with the raptor things but everything else is pretty by the numbers and since it's so short you never get to really upgrade your stuff, which removes a lot of the fun.

The narrative stuff is interesting,
    It's cool that they can kill off the player character at the end, they would never be able to do that with Isaac. I don't know how I feel about the weird psychic agents they introduce in it (Dead Space Wiki calls them Oracles)
    But all and all it's too bad they didn't take the concept and flesh out more content for it. I would have been willing to pay more for a larger DLC campaign. As it stands the content feels pretty meagre even at the low price they ask for it (what was it, $7 or $5? I don't remember).

It also sucks that they never released it for PC. Good news is that I bet that won't be the case for Dead Space 3, bad news everything will probably be through Origin.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm gearing up for a PC playthrough of Dead Space 2. Is there a way to unlock the Unitology rooms, that unlock when you play that horrible prologue game, on the PC?

Eh, I felt a little different about the end.
    Basically we just met this guy, Hi! Oh you're dead. Ok.

Severed was cool, though. I thought the asking price was fair for a couple hours of fun.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
This discussion has been closed.